Male privilege is a myth

Author: DynamicSquid

Total: 72
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If it doesn't only apply to only to men how can it be male pattern baldness?
like most terms it's not accurate, made up etc
All terms are made up. But presumably you don't spend as much time disputing the accuracy of the term "male pattern baldness." I sense a double standard here.

What makes something "dominance" rather than "privilege"?
the way I see it, someone takes control, rather than it is given to him.
when I think of something that could be male privilege, it would be in a time when women were subservient to men, there was male privilege pre equal rights.  Any woman subservient to a man does so by choice and that would be a relationship things most likely.

opening doors for women was a way to show respect, manners, etc,  not a privilege, men and women are different no matter all the b.s. the leftist try to spin, doesn't mean those differences are privilege.
Then this interrupting phenomenon is a pure example of male privilege as you define it. A person keeping quiet is a voluntary act. We're not talking about men reaching across a table and physically preventing a person from speaking.

So it seems that we have found an example of male privilege, according to criteria you've provided.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
"male pattern baldness."
why would I?  it's not used as a pejorative and can't apply to me

Then this interrupting phenomenon is a pure example of male privilege as you define it.
since women also can do this I don't see how it is a pure example of male anything.

talking over someone or not letting them interject isn't sex dependant nor a privilege, it's it rude and not socially acceptable, in fact that can get you chastised and possible excluded in the future, hardly a privilege.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
since women also can do this I don't see how it is a pure example of male anything.
You asked for "Maybe you could describe a Male privilege that may not apply to all males but enough and well known enough that it can be recognized." (emphasis mine)

Are you reneging?

talking over someone or not letting them interject isn't sex dependant nor a privilege, it's it rude and not socially acceptable, in fact that can get you chastised and possible excluded in the future, hardly a privilege.
Observation disagrees with your assessment.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
if the pattern of baldness is not just seen it males it is incorrect to use "male" in its name

testicular cancer is a male cancer
breast cancer is found in both sexes but the majority is in females, I don't consider it a female cancer.

this male privilege doesn't not have to apply to all males, but must only apply to males otherwise calling it male (indicating exclusive) is inaccurate and misleading.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Okay, well I suppose you can create whatever criteria you want. But just know that the term was not coined with those criteria in mind. It refers to phenomena like the one I mentioned that disproportionately favors men.

In the future, when you state denial that male privilege exists, perhaps you should clarify that you are using your own, homebrewed set of criteria rather than the ones everyone else is using.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
it's not my homebrewed but rather logic

if all male then = male
if male/female = unisex
whether one is disproportionate over the other is irrelevant since those proportions are subjective
This is where male privilege comes in as I see it, it's very subjective for all the reasons I've given.

being subjective as it is, one can not say an instance of perceived privilege is solely based on the single characteristic of being male,  I have yet to hear of an example that proves that.

People of authority, power, perceived intelligence or education often control the conversation and are yielded to by those who feel subordinate.

If you want to say that generally males are more dominant and intimidating than women which can allow them certain privileges or leeway, I would agree with that, however a dominant personality is not exclusive to males and some women (not many) can also be physically intimidating.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If you want to say that generally males are more dominant and intimidating than women which can allow them certain privileges or leeway, I would agree with that, however a dominant personality is not exclusive to males and some women (not many) can also be physically intimidating.

And don't forget that being dominant is not always a good thing. Sometimes it is a "privilege" to be more compassionate like when working with sick people or children.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
in certain settings and circumstances privilege does exist, being super wealthy has its privileges, so does living off taxpayers in guise of a government job, that has the privilege of not being arrested for d.u.i. but I digress

"male privilege" is being used as a pejorative is it not?  It's just another way to hate men imo because it serves no useful or practical purpose.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
"Male privilege is a myth"

"There are some things that guys have the privilege to be better at because they are males.  It's biology."

Which is it?
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@DynamicSquid
Depends on what you're talking about. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
To be able to spell your name in the snow while urinating is TOTALLY male privilege.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
I dunno, I'm not going to search it, but I'll bet you find a woman who is doing just that LOL

Not having the physical ability to give birth is a privilege imo, but many women consider that ability to be a privilege so.....