1) Yes2) Yes3) NoAdditional details (optional)
Poll - American Racism
Posts in total: 17
I have been meaning to do this poll for well over two years now but the poll section of DDO has always been shit and it looks like this site will not have one any time soon so I'll just make it in the forums. There will be three yes-or-no questions asked, please answer all or none of them. The originally planned version would have had eight options representing the eight possible answer combinations. The questions are as follows:
1) Were you raised in the United States?
2) If yes to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) period of time living outside the United States? If no to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) living inside the United States?
3) Do you believe that American society is - on average - more racist than the rest of the world?
An example of a well formatted answer would be the following:
Raised in Canada first, then the US as a teenager. Who I am today, was largely formed in Iraq.
The USA is unlikely to be the least racist country, but it does fairly well compared to my experiences elsewhere. Of course, in any wide area there's going to be concentrated pockets of such problems.
Lived in Greece for a 1/2 a year
I believe we are probably average on racism. Decent amount of anti-white/anti-minority racism here, but I feel like it is inflated by the media, in addition to fake hate crimes and justified police shootings that are lied about. That kind of alters the perception beyond reality.
The US and Argentina are probably the most racist nations in the Western Hemisphere but the Eastern Hemisphere- where nationality and race were more often one idea historically is more racist. China, Japan are profoundly racist. Europe and Russia are more racist. (Brexit is essentially a racist impulse). Most present int’l conflicts are explicitly racist or have a strong racist element: Congo, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia vs Iran is largely Arab vs Persian.
It is a tricky question because race and racist are such loaded fungible concepts
the only place I have been outside of america is ireland, so America is the most-racist one but I don't think it's a racist society
3) No. In China, they won't let you immigrate unless your ethnically Chinese or marrying a chinese person. Same with many Asian countries. The EU is about the same as the US and the Tasman countries(AUS and NZ). I don't know any societies less racist than the west. I mean, we have the more minorities on a continental basis than the rest of the world combined. There are more Asians in the west than there are westerners in Asia and the same for Africa.
1) Were you raised in the United States?2) If yes to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) period of time living outside the United States? If no to question 1 have you ever spent a significant (three consecutive months or more) living inside the United States?3) Do you believe that American society is - on average - more racist than the rest of the world?
1) for most of my childhood, yes (but not all)
What is the purpose of this poll? Just curiosity?
What is the purpose of this poll?
Like I said the idea came to me a few years ago on DDO. At the time racism in America was a pretty common debate topic.
I was living in Romania at the time. It was uncommon but not unheard of (and also perfectly legal) for myself and my fellows going out into town to be refused service in some places for no reason other than the fact that one or more members of our group was black or Asian, something that was understandably unexpected among myself and my comrades since most of us had spent most of our lives in America where such a thing would never even be thought of today.
I had a hypothesis that most people who thought America was particularly racist probably thought so either because they had never lived outside the US and seen how actually racist many other countries are or because they had never lived in the US and only knew about Americas supposed racism problem through exaggerations and outright lies over the internet and other media. The purpose of this poll would have been to test that hypothesis.
It seems that I am a bit late, however, as the "America is racist af" fad appears to have died down in the years since I came up with this idea.
Interesting. I did not know those things happened sometimes in Romania.
They don't have a lot of blacks or Asians like we do. They mostly only have whites. The businesses near tourist centers were all pretty chill but when we went exploring the slummier parts of the nearby cities they were just not used to seeing non-whities I guess. Still even then was rare for it to actually become a problem but not unheard of.