Should Dart learn something from DDO?

Author: User_2006

Total: 54
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
Came from DDO, and left because that there is no moderation, no voters, little experienced players, and too much politics. Programming-wise, I believe Dart has to learn something from DDO.

These includes:
1. Save arguments. C'mon, I can't research the longest arguments in one sitting.
2. Opinions/Polls should be added, but chiefly for the moderators to know how the users should do. Only people with voting privileges can create polls and opinions and any offensive/spam answers/questions shall be removed by Virtuoso or Ragnar. 
3. Voting leaderboard. All spam and offensive votes are not to count. 
4. Judges leaderboard. All span and offensive votes are not to count.
User_2006
User_2006
Before saying "DDO IS TRASH", please take some seconds to acknowledge that DDO was once more glory than present-day DArt. 
User_2006
User_2006
Finally, let's learn from Reddit as well. Reddit, the best place for ****posting. Like that, I feel like we should have the ability to add comments SPECIFICALLY to other comments and continue the thread, and they can open or close. I had experiences with @Nevets in which I was talking about the wrong comment because I made 2 comments referring to him. If we can make comments on comments then it should be much more convenient. Any disagreers? Take it, I will talk clearly. No need for anything disrespectful.
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@Vader
@Melcharaz
@Dr.Franklin
@Jeff_Goldblum
I think you guys have the right to talk since you guys have been on DDO and are here.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@User_2006
1. Save arguments. C'mon, I can't research the longest arguments in one sitting.

you can do that here, just click preview argument and go back

2. Opinions/Polls should be added, but chiefly for the moderators to know how the users should do. Only people with voting privileges can create polls and opinions and any offensive/spam answers/questions shall be removed by Virtuoso or Ragnar. 
Maybe, but this site is still relatively young, those were added 6 years into DDO history while this website isnt even 2 years old

It is a thing, click on the voting headline on the debate leaderboard

Yeah I agree that should be added as headline

Reddit, the best place for ****posting.
No, 4chan, imgur, and other forums are wayyyyyyyy better than shitposting, my favorite subs such as r/coomer and r/average_redditor get banned.

please take some seconds to acknowledge that DDO was once more glory than present-day DArt. 
that has everything to do with the name, search debating website on a new search engine and is it the first choich but DART is on 2nd or 3rd page
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@User_2006
Before saying "DDO IS TRASH", please take some seconds to acknowledge that DDO was once more glory than present-day DArt. 

Okay. I acknowledge that past DDO was once superior to present DART. That said...

DDO IS TRASH

By which I mean this... How is it you are just now leaving a website that has had a population of over 99% spam bots for over a year? If you didn't notice all the accounts are spam bots then that says something about your bar for content quality doesn't it?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Dr.Franklin
that has everything to do with the name, search debating website on a new search engine and is it the first choich but DART is on 2nd or 3rd page

That is a good thing and something the owner should arrive to keep the same. It is likely the primary reason for why the majority of spam bots target DDO and not DART. (I know a few have come here in the last few months but still not even as many as DDO had back at it's lowest spam bots period).
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I never said it was bad, i was responding to a quote about popularity

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Hmmmm. Picking your battles is the most important thing to learn. The vote systems are both off in my opinion. DDO was mostly unmoderated, but DART wants your reasonings for your vote. I believe there should be moderation, but votes that are still intellectually raw will encourage more votes. A summary of your view why one argument is superior to the other as well as necessary conduct, spelling and sources check.  It seems difficult to have a simple break down of reasoning and balance that with "feel" voting.  

Another thing that i would do personally would make the author of forum topic not able to see posters comments whom they have blocked. Sure it can be taken advantage of, but its up to each of us to consider the opinions of others, what we can handle and what we disregard (ie troll posters who go off topic) to simply make their comments not appear to those who blocked them.

Being able to cancel your own debate would also be a life send. Or make it where unmoderated debates can be cancelled. I cant tell you how many times life gets in the way or the other person simply just trolls.  

Also why is comments of debates backward from forums? Make it where we see on BOTH that the first comment is newest or the first. 

That being said, i dont believe in debate structures DDO and DART. Its like an arena setup instead of a reasoning setup. Sure people can value sound logic, but i believe trying to discuss the merits of your topic to the other person is more important than kritics and semantic loops. Sources and their origins are worth exploring.  

Me? I care only about spreading the TRUTH. The gospel of Jesus christ. So i usually use 1 or 2 sources for most of my views. 

Until humans become omnscient, knowing the most accurate facts at the time is more important to me. And we all have the ability to do that without insulting each other or putting definitions in other people's mouth.  

Remember, spock (a person regarding things through pure logic) is an ideal, not the reality. Consider the feelings of others, if we dont understand the person we are discussing or debating with, no one wins.

Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
-->
@User_2006
also, thank you for including me in this discussion.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I never said it was bad

I never said you did.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
@User_2006
Hi folks,

I know that there is a lot of work to do and I am trying to do my best. The main difference with DDO is that they had a full blown company, so they had more than 1 developer doing stuff 2 hours after work in the evening, and I imagine they had some marketing people and whatnot so I simply cannot keep up with that. Also they started their website like 12 years ago and it was much easier to have a good position in Google search so it gave them a great jump start.

I have my doubts about implementing the polls system, maybe I will find some 3rd party service that I could integrate ( given I can afford it ) but I highly doubt it's worth implementing it from a scratch. Opinions, though, can be implemented but probably in a completely different and hopefully more entertaining way than how it works on DDO. We'd still need to think about it.

When it comes to a crappy Google search position, I have 2 ideas about that. First is that we don't have the mobile version and it punishes us for it. That's why I am working on it at the moment. So hopefully it will help. The second is that we simply don't have any incoming links and Google doesn't trust us, so if you guys have some blogs or Twitter or anything like that, please don't be shy to share links to DART, it would definitely help to improve our search position and attract new people.
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@User_2006
great ideas bro i personally would love to see polling on the site 
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@User_2006
in my experience i feel as though the site isnt as geared onto politics as ddo was from what ive heard 

i mean the main center of it is but there's plenty of art shared, NFL predictions, and videogame discussions had whereas ddo was pretty much just politics

skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@DebateArt.com
, maybe I will find some 3rd party service that I could integrate ( given I can afford it ) but I highly doubt it's worth implementing it from a scratch. 
i havent been in this community long but this is a very dedicated and loving community 

im sure alot of us would be willing to donate money towards adding in polling or even helping you work on it 

theres alot of smart people in this community, im sure if we all worked together it could be achieved
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@User_2006
Save arguments. C'mon, I can't research the longest arguments in one sitting.
Google docs, Word or literally any other website that you can type stuff and save. 
Opinions/Polls should be added, but chiefly for the moderators to know how the users should do. Only people with voting privileges can create polls and opinions and any offensive/spam answers/questions shall be removed by Virtuoso or Ragnar. 
Ask DebateArt.com
Voting leaderboard. All spam and offensive votes are not to count. 
Judges leaderboard. All span and offensive votes are not to count.
Ask the mods. 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@skittlez09
im sure alot of us would be willing to donate money towards adding in polling or even helping you work on it 
Maybe but you can't use the past as a great example. I don't think DA has reached its $35 goal ever on this site.

Look at the 8 comments below it and clicking on the names:

Wylted, SteveT are still donating whereas Not Telling isn't. 
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
Are you guys talking about Debate Dot Org? I read a thread one time, I'll see if I can find, in which someone did a search of the alleged company and found it all originated from an apartment in London England and that the entire company (Juggle?? or something) was just a facade, it didn't exist at all, a complete fabrication from one guy in that apartment. Apparently, he created websites showing pictures of the staff, inside the company, etc, but it was all made up, none of those people or the office existed. He had everyone fooled.

Of course, I don't know myself if any of that was true, but if someone here can verify the company existed and it wasn't a facade, I'd be delighted to hear about it because it sure was a hilarious scam.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@ATroubledMan
Interesting
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@RationalMadman
I also just now remembered that the address provided for the company was basically a brick wall, that address didn't exist either. I believe he posted a picture from Google Maps of it that showed address number before and after of the one given that did exist on either side of that wall.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@TRN
When you say still donating, it's The Steve person's first month. I donated two months and noticed that not only had others discontinued but that I didn't feel this website was worth the cheapest equivalent of a Netflix subscription when I not only was banned by corrupt mod Bsh1 but also was getting stessed, am not the richest and other factors.

Do you expect me to seriously donate every month when despite all efforts I was repeatedly rejected for vote mod or any position at all for people who put far less time, effort and money than me into the website?

Personally, I have give more than I've gotten out of this website. When I donated, I was being severely bullied by many here and the moderation was barely fair at all until bsh1 realised I care more about the site than the bullies and veen then he stayed corrupt to the end of his reign here.

I believe in debating and wish we had more of it happen in politics rather than personality-attack games masqueraded as debates.

ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@RationalMadman
When I donated, I was being severely bullied by many here and the moderation was barely fair at all 
Wow, that really sucks. When I joined here, I was being attacked by one guy, but the mods here dealt with the situation quite well, they seem like pretty good guys and appear sincere about running a civil forum. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ATroubledMan
You have no idea who campaigned for this head mod to be the head mod in the first place. Actually, you probably do as you are someone's alt account but I say this to clarify that you are dealing with a different head mod and new deputy mod.
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
-->
@RationalMadman
Actually, you probably do as you are someone's alt account
That's what the person claimed who was attacking me and exactly what the mods investigated. That person is now serving a temp ban.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@User_2006
Your able to do this, but it isn't an in site feature, but you are able too. I agree with this. I use google docs for all my arguments (if I do debate)
No. I hated that on DDO because it was spam filtered and there was no good arguments made. It was short, useless argument. It also cluttered the site. The forums is where to express it
Leaderboards. Click on votes. Then click on it again. That's the vote leaderboard.

Filtering of FF's is hard to program, especially with the budget DART has. I think it would be a good feature but it extremely hard to filter it out overall and to code that would be hard.
What's the difference between 3 and 4?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ATroubledMan
If you are trying to threaten with mod action, I would like to let you know that that itself is a violation. You are someone's alternate account and probably aren't breaking the rules as you let the mods know. That is my deduction and you will not bully me into silence.

You came the website knowing the politics of the religion subforums inside-out and also speak of Juggle as if you've researched it and watched DDO for a long time.
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
If you are trying to threaten with mod action
Of course not, I have no reason to do that. If I have any issues, like everyone else on this forum, I would contact a mod, that's how the rules work here and pretty much everywhere else.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ATroubledMan
I am sure it works like that for you.

Ethang and I have done more to help the mods spot alt abusers than their own tech has done so far, in fact both of us also helped them spot who was abusive in the first place. While I do not not defend abuse, you do not understand why Ethang attacked you because you don't understand how utterly toxic this site was (just look at DDO's religion forums) and how many double standards there were in the moderation team both on DDO and here when you come and say these things.

I knew that Sparrow was an alt of Type1 long before the mods did. This is not because I withheld information, nor is it because I dealt with things the wrong way. I am not one to cry to a teacher when I learn that the teacher doesn't even believe me about what the wrongdoer did. Sometimes you need to be a bit self-productive in how you get a troll/bully to even reveal themselves as that. Only then can the mods even begin to side with you.

You don't understand that because you also came to the website after a while when mods actually earned their reputation and position to some degree (it's still nonsensical who gets chosen vs does not in lesser positions but Virtuoso earned his place as head mod, of that there is no question). Originally, this site was full of incompetence and corruption in the head mod's way of handling things and simply running to the mods was a bad habit to develop as more often than not it got nothing done or even angered the mods to the point where they'd ban you instead for reacting to weeks of abuse that they never once let you know they were handling (because they weren't).

You don't know this, so that is why you don't understand why Ethang, myself and some others who are more used to the old-school way of moderating here, ended up learning that the mods rarely will save you or handle things until you yourself cause the troll to reveal themselves.

I noticed you spoke on my locked thread, congratulating Ethang5, about how this doesn't work anywhere else. Actually, it is the norm on most forums that the mods don't usually give a shit unless it's very, very blatant rule breakage and where the victim is not a very disliked socially awkward member of the community. Thus, even the norm of moderation on forums is something you perceive different to myself and Ethang5, explaining why you also differ in approach to handling toxic members as a non-mod member of a forum.
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@Vader
There is little to no difference between 3 and 4. They mean similar things.
ATroubledMan
ATroubledMan
you do not understand why Ethang attacked you 
It doesn't matter why, he has no right to attack anyone for any reason.

I noticed you spoke on my locked thread, congratulating Ethang5, about how this doesn't work anywhere else. 
I wasn't congratulating him, I asked the mods if I may speak on that thread, allowing them the right to remove anything they saw fit from my post there. It was meant to let Ethang5 know that people just can't appoint themselves as what he termed 'gunslingers', as an excuse to go around attacking people who they believe are trolls, multi-accounts, whatever. If he or anyone else has a problem, they contact the mods to deal with it. If as you say, the mod team is corrupt and a person is always getting the short end of the stick, then they are free to leave the forum and go elsewhere.

I'm sorry if this happened to you on this forum before, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. I'm assuming you're enjoying your stay here now?