Women Becoming Catholic Priests

Author: Barney

Total: 130
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@DeusVult
Jesus could have more easily appeared to them himself. Instead he required that they first obey the teachings of a woman who was serving in Persona Christi, at his direct command. She made them disciples of his rebirth.

As for if him telling someone to do something makes them not count as having the authority required to obey that commend, the same could be said of every disciple he gave orders to at Galilee.
DeusVult
Debates: 0
DeusVult
Jesus could have more easily appeared to them himself.
Were they looking for him?  Mary was.

Instead he required that they first obey the teachings of a woman who was serving in Persona Christi, at his direct command.
Did they obey her?  As far as I know the Peter and John ran to the tomb.  It says they believed when they saw.

As for if him telling someone to do something makes them not count as having the authority required to obey that commend, the same could be said of every disciple he gave orders to at Galilee.
There is giving authority to do something and there is just telling someone to do something that requires no actual authority.

Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.

Where does Mary exercise any authority?  She relates what she saw.  Her actions have no authority even if they are true.

I could say that you have to pay your taxes by April 15 in the US (except this year).  I could have phoned the IRS and asked them what day do I tell my American friends to pay their taxes by?  If I relay the date of April 15th to them, even if they also work for the IRS, doesn't mean I have the authority of an IRS agent.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@DeusVult
She had something of a high status in the Jesus movement. She was a "woman of substance" in the position to be the one to anoint Jesus' head and feet with extremely expensive expensive oils .  Where did she get the authority to perform such a ritual? 

And didn't Jesus say :

‘Wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.’ (Mark 14:9)

This was not the - supposed -  customary washing of the feet or head of a visiting friend or stranger .  These were more likely the stages of the anointing of a king. She had to have some kind of status and  authority to do this.  Not to mention that  Mary appears in all four gospels as one of Jesus's closest companions during his ministry in Galilee and Jerusalem. 
That in no way makes her a priest. 

[A] No. It makes her more than  'just' priest and certainly higher ranking than just a disciple.  It makes her an high ranking member of the priesthood;  maybe an Archbishop in the  Jesus movement. Maybe this is why Peter the misogynist  hated her and thought her not to be " worthy of life".  Men or women do not, and never have become Kings or Queens UNLESS they have been anointed &  concentrated by a  high ranking member of the Church with the vested power to do so. Jesus is recorded as having undergone three stages or degrees of  anointing. It was only after these three degrees of anointing consecration rituals, that Jesus made his `triumphant` entry into Jerusalem as king of the JEWS. 
Who anointed him king ?

We are all called to love Jesus and anoint him with our lives. 

Stop it. Show me one single biblical verse where it says that? You are making things up on the hoof, AGAIN! not to mention it being irrelevant to the topic.

She was a long disciple.  
[B] She was more than a disciple. .  And it appears that she had the authority to anointed and  consecrate a King.

It doesn't mean that she was a priest.  Jesus instituted the priesthood at the last supper.  He chose only men for this - Jesus made this choice.

See A & B above.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@DeusVult
Men assumed authority because that was what men did. And up until not so very long ago that was what men generally did.....Male chauvinism, hence the biased textual content.

And what has the current reality of paying your taxes got to do with  the myths of the bible? 

So Jesus had his men friends but he also had his woman, maybe that was simply a biblical metaphor for swinging both ways.

And most tales tend to have a love interest built in....The charismatic thinker and the besotted socialite...Works for me.
DeusVult
DeusVult
-->
@Stephen
[A] No. It makes her more than  'just' priest and certainly higher ranking than just a disciple.  It makes her an high ranking member of the priesthood;  maybe an Archbishop in the  Jesus movement. Maybe this is why Peter the misogynist  hated her and thought her not to be " worthy of life".  Men or women do not, and never have become Kings or Queens UNLESS they have been anointed &  concentrated by a  high ranking member of the Church with the vested power to do so. Jesus is recorded as having undergone three stages or degrees of  anointing. It was only after these three degrees of anointing consecration rituals, that Jesus made his `triumphant` entry into Jerusalem as king of the JEWS. 
Who anointed him king ?
Not at all.  It wasn't even Mary Magdalene.  If I remember correctly it was the Mary the sister of Bethanhy.

“And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.” - Acts 10:38

Stop it. Show me one single biblical verse where it says that? You are making things up on the hoof, AGAIN! not to mention it being irrelevant to the topic.
It is logical and in keeping with his other teachings.  If "anointing" him with a mere physical object is remembered, how much more will God remember those who love him and "anoint" him by the actions in their lives.

The Bible is to be read as something that happened in the past, is happening in the present and will happen in the future.

This was an action of anointing Jesus for his death.  It was honouring Jesus by pouring out something precious with abandon.  In the same we we are called to pour out our most precious thing, our lives, with abandon for Christ.  So do we physically anoint his body with oil?  No.  Do we in our hearts do so through our lives?  Yes.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@DeusVult
[A] No. It makes her more than  'just' priest and certainly higher ranking than just a disciple.  It makes her an high ranking member of the priesthood;  maybe an Archbishop in the  Jesus movement. Maybe this is why Peter the misogynist  hated her and thought her not to be " worthy of life".  Men or women do not, and never have become Kings or Queens UNLESS they have been anointed &  concentrated by a  high ranking member of the Church with the vested power to do so. Jesus is recorded as having undergone three stages or degrees of  anointing. It was only after these three degrees of anointing consecration rituals, that Jesus made his `triumphant` entry into Jerusalem as king of the JEWS. 
Who anointed him king ?
Not at all.  It wasn't even Mary Magdalene.  If I remember correctly it was the Mary the sister of Bethanhy.

?????  Bethany was a place you clown,  not a person.

John 12:1-8 King James Version (KJV)
12 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany where Lazarus was, [..............]Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

Mark 14:3-9 King James Version (KJV)
And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.

Matthew 26:6-13 King James Version (KJV)
Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, 7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

“And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.” - Acts 10:38
?????  Who anointed Jesus King of the Jews? 

We are all called to love Jesus and anoint him with our lives. 

It is logical and in keeping with his other teachings.  If "anointing" him with a mere physical object is remembered, how much more will God remember those who love him and "anoint" him by the actions in their lives.

Absolute bullsjit!  So you cannot show me a single verse stating - " we are called to anoint Jesus with our lives"- ? . SO STOP LYING!!!!  And it is not Logical.   It is you doing what all Christians do, that is, presenting your thoughts and opinions as fact. IT IS NOT FACT and there is no logic to it. 

The Bible is to be read as something that happened in the past, is happening in the present and will happen in the future.
Very interesting.   Particularly "the past". Did it ever occur to you that Mary Magdalene might just be " the bride"  of  "Song of Solomon"? 

This was an action of anointing Jesus for his death.
Now you are getting somewhere.

And have you ever considered that in the Hellenised Roman province of Palestine of Jesus' time  that the anointing by the woman of the Gospels is reminiscent of the love poetry connected with the rites of the "Sacred Marriage" celebrating the union of the local god and goddess? And has it even come to your consideration that the meaning of the anointing AT BETHANY!  was the same "Sacred Marriage" of the sacrificed king?  

Now tell me, was Jesus king of the Jews? 

DeusVult
DeusVult
-->
@Stephen
?????  Bethany was a place you clown,  not a person.
You are right.  I had two thoughts in my head and conflated the two while typing and then not proof reading.  I conflated Mary of Bethany and Mary sister of Simon the leper.  Apologies.

?????  Who anointed Jesus King of the Jews? 
Well it says God did.  God is defacto king after all.  Pilate acknowledged it.

Absolute bullsjit!  So you cannot show me a single verse stating - " we are called to anoint Jesus with our lives"- ? . SO STOP LYING!!!!  And it is not Logical.   It is you doing what all Christians do, that is, presenting your thoughts and opinions as fact. IT IS NOT FACT and there is no logic to it. 
Sorry - not Sola Scriptura here.  I gave the reasoning behind my use of words.  I might be wrong, but that is how I have understood that to be.

Very interesting.   Particularly "the past". Did it ever occur to you that Mary Magdalene might just be " the bride"  of  "Song of Solomon"? 
No.  That is the Church.  Jesus is the Bridegroom and the Church is the Bride of Christ.

And have you ever considered that in the Hellenised Roman province of Palestine of Jesus' time  that the anointing by the woman of the Gospels is reminiscent of the love poetry connected with the rites of the "Sacred Marriage" celebrating the union of the local god and goddess? And has it even come to your consideration that the meaning of the anointing AT BETHANY!  was the same "Sacred Marriage" of the sacrificed king?  
No, because it specifically says what was done:

“She has done what she could; she has anointed My body beforehand for the burial."

Obviously as he was a king in the line of David.  But much more than that.  His kingdom was "not of this world."  He is true king over all of creation.  He is as much king of the Jews as he is king of the Americans, king of the Italians, etc... he is king of kings.  He is king over all - hence the reason Catholics celebrate the feast of Christ the King every year.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@DeusVult

I had two thoughts in my head and conflated the two while typing

Yes you're good at that aren't you?  conflating. Lets see how long it is before you start conflating from this point on.

Who anointed Jesus King of the Jews? 
Well it says God did. 
 What says? Lets us see your evidence of god anointing Jesus king of the Jews. let us see verses where it says god anointed Jesus king of the Jews.

God is defacto king after all.  Pilate acknowledged it.

And there it is . Your good at conflating aren't you?    And no, what Pilate did was acknowledge that Jesus was king of the Jews.  He didn't, as you have suggested, acknowledge "god" as Jesus' defacto king and he didn't acknowledge that Jesus' god had anointed him king of the Jews  and he didn't acknowledge Jesus' god either.  You see Pilate and Rome had their own living god Caesar!  

No, because it specifically says what was done:

“She has done what she could; she has anointed My body beforehand for the burial."
 You must have missed the -  of the "sacrificed king" - part.

Obviously as he was a king in the line of David. 

Then who anointed Jesus king? It is a simple enough question. 

.  His kingdom was "not of this world."

Indeed he made that plain as day to Pilate didn't he? But he was still king of the very much earthly Jews. So who anointed him King?     

Catholics celebrate the feast of Christ the King every year.
Catholic celebrate many things they don't even understand. You certainly don't.

DeusVult
DeusVult
-->
@Stephen
God anointed Jesus of Nazareth - Acts 10:38

We seem to be going in circles.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@DeusVult
God anointed Jesus of Nazareth - Acts 10:38

We seem to be going in circles.

Acts 10:38 King James Version (KJV)
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Nope nothing there about "god" anointing Jesus of Galilee or Bethlehem or  that non existent place Nazareth King of the Jews. It simply say Jesus was anointed with the power to do good.

Is it any wonder these subject become circular.