Catholicism is the Fullness of the Christian Faith

Author: DeusVult

Total: 124
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
Nonetheless, a church and it's associated and variable requirements of infrastructure, therefore necessitate variable levels of promotion and marketing....Horses for courses as it were.

The truly devout will pray in the kitchen.
Well, I suppose if a marquee on a small rural church, or small inner-city church that says "Join us this Sunday" qualifies as marketing. I would say just about every business does some form of marketing. Even straight up charities.

I was primarily focusing on your statement here.

Religion after all is big business and therefore the perpetuation of the various derivations of the myths is now essential chiefly for this reason.
Are the small low income churches I'm talking about that practice a relatively modest form of marketing in the category of big business?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
Small independent churches are obviously not big business, though perhaps they do dream of making it into the big time. The discussion though was focussing on one of the bigger players, and I think that it's fair to say that business and faith are very much separate elements of the global religious conglomerates. How wealth and benefits filter down through the organisation, from the big players and their Vatican luxury,  to the average Catholic Joe scavenging  one a rubbish dump in Manilla for example, is pretty typical of how all social systems work. 
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@zedvictor4
Small independent churches are obviously not big business, though perhaps they do dream of making it into the big time.

That's just speculation of course. From my experience, most small churches (not sure what you mean by independent) want to avoid what I think you mean by the big time. The problem is that the mega-churches, which represent a small minority are the one's that make the news. The small churches that provide charity for urban areas for instance go unnoticed for the most part.

The discussion though was focussing on one of the bigger players, and I think that it's fair to say that business and faith are very much separate elements of the global religious conglomerates. How wealth and benefits filter down through the organisation, from the big players and their Vatican luxury,  to the average Catholic Joe scavenging  one a rubbish dump in Manilla for example, is pretty typical of how all social systems work. 
I understand. You're focusing on the Catholic church. The problem, although it may seem small, is the usage of the term religion when describing a particular church faction, organization, or any non-Christian religion. The problem is that it's used as a broad term to describe a particular organization and their negative aspects, which lumps together all religions, Abrahamic religions, Christian religions or factions like Catholicism, and protestant organizations. In other words, you were initially describing the Catholic church, but at the same time you're broadening the horizons to allow evangelicals, and/or Abrahamic religions, and/or all other religions.

Richard Dawkins, after 9/11 decided that not only all Muslims should be held responsible for the attack (as opposed to the specific faction responsible), but all Abrahamic religions should be held responsible. But....his subjective opinion did not include eastern religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RoderickSpode
Well we've perhaps strayed from the O.P. somewhat, but Catholicism was the original focus. 

Nonetheless,  Catholicism as you rightly point out is just a derivative of the original Abrahamic hypothesis. Which in turn is just a derivative of more ancient but typically naive god concepts. ...All relative to human society and it's function though, and all reflecting the inevitability of social hierarchy and it's machinations.

Churches are either independent or part of a bigger network (religious conglomerate). ..Luxury at the top of the tree and scrimping to make ends meet and do the Lords work at the bottom....Which as I previously suggested, is just a reflection of society in general.