Star Control Mafia Endgame

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 38
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Result

Mafia wins. Kinda. Actually no, town loses. That's more accurate.

Foreword

If I knew that people had stopped playing mafia I never would have started this game. I incorrectly assumed people were still playing because I was promoted by multiple people within a short span of time when my turn to mod came up and the signups signups filled relatively quick.

Mafia Roles

Speedrace - You are the Supox and your ship class is the Blade. Your species is the only known species of sentient plants, though scientists from all races (including your own) generally agree that it is impossible for plants to develop sentience naturally. Your species has good relations with the Utwig and along with them join the New Alliance of Free Stars during the Second Doctrinal Conflict. Your tendency to imitate other races as part of your diplomatic strategy makes you the Role Copy. Once per night you may choose a player to imitate. You gain that players role, though they do not lose their role as a result. During any subsequent night you may choose a player to target with the role you copied (though you will not be told what that role is until after you use it) or you may choose a different player to copy (and subsequently lose the previous role you copied). In addition to this you may communicate via PM with your partner SupaDudz and choose for one of you to target a player with a kill action each night. You and your partner SupaDudz win with the Mafia.

SupaDudz - You are the Zoq-Fot-Pik and your ship class is the Stinger. Your culture consists of three species that developed sentience on the same planet at around the same time. Your low technology level and remote location relative to the conflict prevented you from taking part in that war, though during the Second Doctrinal Conflict you joined the New Alliance of Free Stars formed by the Humans and provided valuable intelligence in exchange for military protection. Your intel gathering skill makes you the Role Cop. Once per night you may select a target. If your action is successful your targets role will be revealed to you, though not their character. In addition to this you may communicate via PM with your partner speedrace and choose for one of you to target a player with a kill action each night. You and your partner speedrace win with the Mafia.

Town Roles

oromagi - You are the Umgah and your ship class is the Drone. You were among the first races to submit to joining the Hierarchy of Battle Thralls. You are generally best known for your tendency to play 'pranks' upon alien races, especially the Spathi. These practical jokes, however, often have severe negative consequences for your victims. Because of this you are the Roleblocker. Once per night you may choose a player to target. If your action is successful that player will be unable to perform any action that night. You win with the Town.

LittleCookie08 - You are the Humans and your ship class is the Cruiser. Your unusually strong industrial base played a useful role in fight the Ur-Quan Slave War when first enlisted into the Alliance of Free Stars by Chenjesu diplomats. Despite this your overall average biology and low tech level make you the Vanilla. You have no special ability. You win with the Town.

Ragnar - You are the Arilou and your ship class is the Skiff. Not much is known to outsiders about your race other than the fact that you revealed yourselves to the Alliance of Free Stars and insisted on being granted membership shortly after the Humans joined during the Ur-Quan Slave War. It is later revealed that you have had a special interest and possibly a guiding hand in the development of the Humans as a species for many centuries. Because of this you are the Watcher. Once per night you may choose a player to target. If your action is successful you will be given a list of players that visited your target that night. You win with the Town.

Warren42 - You are the Spathi and your ship class is the Discriminator. You were forced to join the Hierarchy of Battle Thralls as the result of an Umgah prank during the Ur-Quan Slave War. Thouth your race posseses huge potential (having developed from the equivalent of the bronze age to an early space age level of technology in around 100 years) you are largely held back in many fields such as exploration, military, and diplomacy by your extreme natural cowardice (the aforementioned technological leap made possible only by a desire to leave their homeworld and colonize the moon to escape the 'Evil Ones'). Because of this you are the Hider. Once per night you may choose a target. If your action is successful you become untargetable by any kill for the night. However, if your target dies you will die as well. You win with the Town.

PressF4Respect - You are the Shofixti and your ship class is the Scout. Your strong militaristic culture can be attributed to being uplifted by the militaristic Yehat, and naturally you joined the Alliance of Free Stars with them during the Ur-Quan Slave War. Though your ships are unimpressive on their own they each carry a Glory Device for use in combat. The nature of this device makes you the Suicide Bomber. Once per game you may choose a player to target in the night. If your action is successful you and your target will die. This kill is considered a strongman kill. You win with the Town.

Pie - You are the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za and your ship class is the Dreadnaught. Your philosophy which you call The Path of Now and Forever requires that you attempt to enslave all races in the galaxy. For this purpose you created the Hierarchy of Battle Thralls in order to wipe out the stiff resistance offered by the Chenjesu and their allies in their sector of the galaxy. Your ability to create impenetrable Slave Shields makes you the Jailkeeper. Once per night you may target a player of your choice. If your action is successful your target will be protected that night, though they will also be unable to perform any night actions. You win with the Town.

User_2006 - You are the Yehat and your ship class is the Terminator. Your species was the first among the Alliance of Free Stars to encounter the VUX some time prior to the Ur-Quan Slave War, though due to their xenophobic culture you never developed close diplomatic ties with them. Your Terminator warship is well known for its ability to deploy an impenetrable but energy hungry shield, making you a 1x Bulletproof. Once per game if you are targeted by a killing role you will be automatically protected. You win with the Town.

Theme

Races that appeared in the first Star Control were town. Mafia was made up of races that were only introduced in the second game. This left seven races open for mafia to fake claim (there were 14 races in the original) but since town didn't even bother to play mafia decided to not even bother fake claiming.

Balance

Before DP 1 my opinion was that the balance was slightly scum-sided though not as much as their lopsided "victory" would suggest. Since no game actually occurred this opinion of mine remains untested. When laying out the rules in DP 1 OP I originally meant to inform the players that no two players had the same role, including vanillas. I forgot to include this information. Had the players played the game this oversight would have made me feel guilty. Since no game in fact occurred I feel no guilt.

Actions

NP 1
Supa - Cop cookie kill pie
Speed - Copy press
oro - block pie
Pie - jail cookie (failed)
Warren - hide behind pie
Ragnar - watch cookie

NP 2
Supa - Cop oro kill ragnar
Speed - copy oro
oro - block ragnar
Ragnar - watch oro
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
First of all, town was way overpowered. We just got really lucky with the pie Warren kill
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Speedrace
town was way overpowered.
How so?
User_2006
Debates: 50
User_2006
How is Supa Mafia?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@User_2006
How is Supa Mafia?
By being on the mafia team.
User_2006
User_2006
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I mean, you are correct.

However, he had claimed, at dp1, that he is town. So lying is now legally a strategy instead of a violation?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@User_2006
What?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@User_2006
Are you telling me that if you were on the mafia team you would tell everyone you were on the mafia team?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@User_2006
Yes. It is a strategy game
Vader
Vader
This is why I believe we need to have some of the veterans who played mafia from DDO in these games. They can help teach new players how to play mafia and boost activity. We could have had a decent mafia game overall if people signed up for actual games versus forming their own game. That doesn't bolster any activity and help the site
Vader
Vader
1, 1x protective, 2 roleblockers, 1 killing, 1 investigative, 1 misc, versus 1 steal and 1 cop

I think this is a town favored game. Not overpowered, but this a town favored game
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Vader
@Speedrace
Y’all are assholes for killing me again. Screw yall
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
Hehe
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
How you gonna hate from outside the club when you can't even get in? 🤷🏾‍♂️
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
You’re my new policy. Screw you
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
It was obvious Oro wasn’t scum after no one quick hammered. Which made Oro town. Town just some morons
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
How you gonna hate from outside the club when you can't even get in? 🤷🏾‍♂️
This is so gay dude. The one time I get a role I get shot. I literally always figure out who scum is by DP3 if I’m alive then. Someone needs to gimme doctor or doctor me every night. This is ridiculous 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ILikePie5
The one time I get a role
Lol at least I can say I tried.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
It was obvious Oro wasn’t scum after no one quick hammered. Which made Oro town. Town just some morons
That makes no sense. If oro himself was scum then there wouldn't be two other scum to quick hammer
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
You’re my new policy. Screw you
Lol watch me never be scum again

This is so gay dude. The one time I get a role I get shot. I literally always figure out who scum is by DP3 if I’m alive then. Someone needs to gimme doctor or doctor me every night. This is ridiculous 
Lolllll we're both cursed with knowledge. You're best town and I'm best mafia. Just works out that I get to kill and you don't

I'm gonna be doomed if you get vig though ;-;
Vader
Vader
-->
@ILikePie5
It is what it is
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@User_2006
So lying is now legally a strategy instead of a violation?
It was never a violation to begin with.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
That makes no sense. If oro himself was scum then there wouldn't be two other scum to quick hammer
I think I’m confusing myself and you lol. As soon as you voted for Oro and no one quick hammered it had some implications:

1.) Oro was scum cause he can’t quickhammer
2.) Youre scum cause there was no quickhammer because if you were town and Oro was town there would be a quickhammer

Basically it was obvious there was scum between you and Oro but Oro claimed Town RB and targeted each person who died which would be a stupid confession as scum. Supa gave you away too with the second vote which solidified the second theory.

However, Oro confessed to being Town RB and targeting each person that died at night which in itself is stupid if he’s scum
Barney
Barney
I was dealing with drama in my personal life, which pulled me away after I revealed Supa was lying about being vanilla (#130). Granted I was not certain he was scum, only that he visited Cookie. Which combined with our host having clarified there was a way for town to win even if they became outnumbered, made me think the weapon on his ship might in turn be a bomber role I've seen in another game (the alt fire on his ship is stated to: "bores a tiny hole through the hull metal and injects a high-pressure stream of hot plasma into the interior of the vessel, inflicting massive amounts of damage.")

And yes, I believed if anyone was lying about being vanilla, it would be humans, so I watched them the first night. I watched Oro the second night, as he would be a good target to frame me if Supa was innocent (if Mafia, I'd be dead by morning, and people could backtrack to the last thing I said...).
warren42
warren42
-->
@ILikePie5
That's... not how that works. Nobody is going to quick hammer if he's scum either...
warren42
warren42
Pie was a terrible night kill though it obviously worked out. He was an easy mislynch based on his D1 behavior.
warren42
warren42
I also agree that town was OP. BP and Hider paired could've easily let us coast for a bit. Lynching user was terrible.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@warren42
That's... not how that works. Nobody is going to quick hammer if he's scum either...
What? If Oro is town and Speed is town there’s going to be a quick hammer. Meaning one of them must be scum.
warren42
warren42
-->
@ILikePie5
Right, but you said oro was obviously town. That's not how it'd work. Once everyone had checked in and there wasn't a quick hammer it was obvious one of the two was scum, but even then it doesn't guarantee oro is town.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@warren42
Right, but you said oro was obviously town. That's not how it'd work. Once everyone had checked in and there wasn't a quick hammer it was obvious one of the two was scum, but even then it doesn't guarantee oro is town.
Nothing is guaranteed but there was no incentive for scum to bus with very little activity and all the experienced players gone.