Tyranny at Lafayette Park

Author: PressF4Respect

Total: 353
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Death23
The SCOTUS case you were citing doesn't seem applicable to the facts here because here there is no license or permit etc. required to be protesting. (at least not that I'm aware of) That's what I was talking about.
I don’t think you understood my analogy. A Supreme Court case is broader than the scope of what was challenged in Court. That’s why Supreme Court precedents exist. And actually you do need a permit. Take a look at Section 1.6 in Title 36.

I also said that POTUS doesn't have the authority to make the laws. Whether it was Trump or Barr isn't really that significant to what I was saying. (and really, it isn't knowable due to the adminstration's low credibility, esp. after the bullshit about the use of tear gas) They are both executive branch officials, and I was talking about the separation of powers.
They didn’t make a law. They executed the law. The regulations made were present before both Trump and Barr. And there were smoke canisters and pepper bullets used after the protestors refused to move back. They weren’t there to stop the protesting. They were there to just move it back a block to protect a piece of federal property. 

But really, I don't believe him because I have seen no evidence to support what he is saying and I have seen evidence to suggest that what he is saying is false. His credibility is pretty low after the tear gas bullshit anyway.
Why not? The church was vandalized. Police have encountered water bottles being thrown at them. Federal law requires a permit to be able to protest which they didn’t get. Sections 1.5 and 1.6 should help you. It’s one thing if the permit was rejected, but they never asked for a permit in the first place...

You don’t believe Barr, because you don’t want to. You want to believe Trump tear gassed protestors for a photo op, when the order was given long before. If conservatives were doing the same thing, I would support Barack Obama doing the same thing. It’s the job of the President to enforce the law.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Barr was confirmed unanimously during the Bush 41 administration. Joe Biden himself praised him. What changed this time? Trump. Anyone associated with Trump is automatically bad to these people.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
I watched a ton of CNN clips of highly paid reporters claiming the protests were largely peaceful as fires raged in the background.

It's that kind of bullshit that tears the country apart. The deliberate censorship of anything challenging their narrative, I am actually surprised they didn't edit out the fire in the background or cut to some gated backyard.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
It's that kind of bullshit that tears the country apart.
The bs spreads to social media
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Plus, I don't know what the big deal is over trannys in Lafayette Park.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
you don't know why a US president sending soldiers to shoot peaceful protesters is a big deal? I thought the right cared about the constitution?

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@ILikePie5
no stand. not familiar with the case
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
you don't know why a US president sending soldiers to shoot peaceful protesters is a big deal? I thought the right cared about the constitution?
You must have missed the part where I showed you a Supreme Court Case buddy.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Trannys are wack
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
You must have missed the part where I showed you a Supreme Court Case buddy.
I want to make sure I have this right. If the supreme court says that the president can violate your constitutionally protected rights at will, that is perfectly fine with you? So if the supreme court rules that the government could take your guns, you would happily turn them over, right?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Is the president violating 2nd A rights to illegal aliens they confiscate guns from?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Is the president violating 2nd A rights to illegal aliens they confiscate guns from?
i have no idea how this question has anything to do with topic. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
So if the supreme court rules that the government could take your guns, you would happily turn them over, right?
This is a terrible analogy lol. The Court didn’t stop the freedom to assemble. Banning guns totally stops the freedom to bear arms. One is regulation, other is getting rid of the right all together. Use a better analogy.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Because no constitutional right is without exceptions, duh.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
i have no idea how this question has anything to do with topic. 
What do guns have anything to do with the topic?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
He knows he has no defense; that’s why he uses garbage analogies to drive away from the point and shift the focus.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
This is a terrible analogy lol. The Court didn’t stop the freedom to assemble. Banning guns totally stops the freedom to bear arms. One is regulation, other is getting rid of the right all together. Use a better analogy.
fine, the courts rule you have the right to bear arms, but only the kinds of guns the government says you can have. lets say .22 or less. Or even better, you can bear any arms that existed at the time the constitution was written.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
ok, but if the president has the right to decide what those exceptions are, then those rights do not exist. Because the president can decide that "this" is an exception whenever he wants. That is a police state. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
fine, the courts rule you have the right to bear arms, but only the kinds of guns the government says you can have. lets say .22 or less. Or even better, you can bear any arms that existed at the time the constitution was written.
Guess what? Certain arms are already regulated from the public. Regulating and banning are two separate things.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Then take the POTUS to court. Explain to the court why it was so vitally important to "peacefully" block the president from protecting a church from vandalism and arson. I would love to look at the opening legal arguments on that one.

People who got their guns confiscated by rogue presidents win in court all the time, and nobody calls that tyranny.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Guess what? Certain arms are already regulated from the public. Regulating and banning are two separate things.
ok, but a regulation that gives the president a blank check to decide when to use it may as well be a ban. because if he wants to ban it, he can decide that every occasion is a good time to regulate. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
ok, but a regulation that gives the president a blank check to decide when to use it may as well be a ban. because if he wants to ban it, he can decide that every occasion is a good time to regulate. 
A regulation isn’t a blank check to ban the right to peacefully assemble. And besides you should be arguing this in court. Oh wait..
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
A regulation isn’t a blank check to ban the right to peacefully assemble.
you appear to be arguing that the decision of the supreme court gives the government the power to attack protesters whenever, and wherever they want. That is a blank check to ban the right to assemble. IE, if the police have the right to shoot you anywhere you choose to assemble, then you can't assemble anywhere. 

And besides you should be arguing this in court. Oh wait..
why? Obviously there needs to be reasonable limits on the right to protest. Attacking peaceful people with soldiers so the president can have a photo op is obviously, way, way over that line. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
you appear to be arguing that the decision of the supreme court gives the government the power to attack protesters whenever, and wherever they want. That is a blank check to ban the right to assemble. IE, if the police have the right to shoot you anywhere you choose to assemble, then you can't assemble anywhere. 
It’s not a blank check to ban the right to assemble lol. What part of that do you not understand? The government cannot ban it no matter what. But the court has determined that, that right is not absolute just like every other right.

why? Obviously there needs to be reasonable limits on the right to protest. Attacking peaceful people with soldiers so the president can have a photo op is obviously, way, way over that line.
The decision to move the perimeter back was made by AG Barr in the morning after the St John Church was vandalized. They did not do so when Barr came to the White House, so he told them to do it now. The protestors were told that curfew was about to come and to move back multiple times. They refused to do so. As I have shown, a permit can be issued for peaceful protests, but was not done so. In the interest of protecting federal property, the order was given by Barr to move the perimeter back. He never said stop the protestors from protesting. You are intentionally misrepresented what it means to regulate and what it means to ban. If the protestors listened to the authorities they would be peaceful. If they don’t, they are no longer peaceful. Simple.
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@Marko

Well, no. The chain of events you portrayed are largely fictional. Do you have any reputable link you could share with us that corroborates your narrative?
Trump personally ordered their removal? Really? The links please.
At the very least, Trump condones the actions that his subordinate took (as shown by this tweet). 

In reality, Bill Barr was in a meeting on Friday (the week before) with US Park Police and they came to the consensus that the security perimeter had to be pushed back, and then on Monday he attended a meeting with other law officials to decide the dividing line, which put Lafayette Park out of the protester perimeter. The plan was supposed to be put in action immediately after the meeting, however, because many officers had been injured days before, they had to wait for additional National Guard troops to arrive. Once they were then ready, the Park Police tactical commander gave the go ahead.
Bill Barr himself doesn’t seem to have been involved in the go ahead or in the tactical command (much less Trump).

This source gives a very different narrative from the one :
Attorney General William P. Barr personally ordered law enforcement officials on the ground to clear the streets around Lafayette Square just before President Trump spoke Monday, a Justice Department official said, a directive that prompted a show of aggression against a crowd of largely peaceful protesters, drawing widespread condemnation.

Meanwhile, two federal law enforcement officials said the decision had been made late Sunday night or early Monday morning to extend the perimeter around Lafayette Square by one block. The plan was to be executed, according to the Justice Department official, the following afternoon. Barr was a part of the decision-making process, the official said, was not authorized to speak ahead of Barr addressing the matter himself publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
So one of these individuals must be lying through their teeth. Barr's response is equivalent to that of a child saying "I didn't eat the cookie in the cookie jar". That, combined with his penchant for lying:
When they met resistance, yes. They announced three times. They didn't move. By the way, there was no tear gas used. The tear gas was used Sunday when they had to clear H Street to allow the fire department to come in to save St. John's Church. That's when tear gas was used. 
makes his narrative a lot less credible.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
So one of these individuals must be lying through their teeth. Barr's response is equivalent to that of a child saying "I didn't eat the cookie in the cookie jar". That, combined with his penchant for lying:
Lemme guess the federal officials were anonymous 🤔

makes his narrative a lot less credible.
Prove tear gas was used rather than smoke canisters and pepper bullets. Oh and also respond to what fauxlaw told you about the permits 
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@ILikePie5
@fauxlaw
Federal law requires a permit to be able to protest which they didn’t get. Sections 1.5 and 1.6 should help you
I tagging both of you because I'm assuming fauxlaw was referring to this section too. Here's what they say:
§1.5   Closures and public use limits.
(a) Consistent with applicable legislation and Federal administrative policies, and based upon a determination that such action is necessary for the maintenance of public health and safety, protection of environmental or scenic values, protection of natural or cultural resources, aid to scientific research, implementation of management responsibilities, equitable allocation and use of facilities, or the avoidance of conflict among visitor use activities, the superintendent may:
(1) Establish, for all or a portion of a park area, a reasonable schedule of visiting hours, impose public use limits, or close all or a portion of a park area to all public use or to a specific use or activity.
(2) Designate areas for a specific use or activity, or impose conditions or restrictions on a use or activity.
(3) Terminate a restriction, limit, closure, designation, condition, or visiting hour restriction imposed under paragraph (a)(1) or (2) of this section.

§1.6   Permits.
(a) When authorized by regulations set forth in this chapter, the superintendent may issue a permit to authorize an otherwise prohibited or restricted activity or impose a public use limit. The activity authorized by a permit shall be consistent with applicable legislation, Federal regulations and administrative policies, and based upon a determination that public health and safety, environmental or scenic values, natural or cultural resources, scientific research, implementation of management responsibilities, proper allocation and use of facilities, or the avoidance of conflict among visitor use activities will not be adversely impacted.
In both sections, it is clear that the protests can ONLY be shut down or required to have a permit IF one or more of the following are adversely affected:
  • Public health/safety
  • Environmental or scenic values
  • Natural or cultural resources
  • Scientific Research
  • Implementation of management responsibilities
  • Proper allocation and use of facilities
  • Avoidance of conflict among visitor use activities
So which one of these attributes did the peaceful protests on that day negatively affect?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Lemme guess the federal officials were anonymous...

Yeah...it's going to take a LOT more than allegations from anonymous sources parroted on MSM by reporters making 50,000 dollars a day to lie to the public for me to lose faith in Barr.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@PressF4Respect
In both sections, it is clear that the protests can ONLY be shut down or required to have a permit IF one or more of the following are adversely affected:
  • Public health/safety
This one clearly. The order to move the perimeter back was given in the morning after the riots and destruction of the previous night. Come on man
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah...it's going to take a LOT more than allegations from anonymous sources parroted on MSM by reporters making 50,000 dollars a day to lie to the public for me to lose faith in Barr.
Especially considering Joe Biden though Bill Barr was a great guy