Is Preaching Allowed?

Author: Goldtop

Total: 78
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Goldtop
Why do you want me to offer you something... are you in need? 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Imabench

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Mopac
That link goes directly to your post
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Imabench
The religion board often had the most threads and most posts.

Yes.... 
Then what you said was eminently stupid. Even for you.

You first insulted him

I actually didn't...
Yes you did. And lying now won't change that.

If anything I insulted the guy he's referring to in the first place going around preaching.
Oh you insulted him too. Trolls tend to be that way. I happen to like trolls.

You're reading skills aren't on par with people who could reach that natural conclusion though, so you're forgiven, boy. 
But my troll thumping skills are fine. You have a thick skull, so it'll take you a while to notice you've been pawned.
Mopac
Mopac
Atheists are the ones who make the religion forum stupid. If atheists weren't there, we could actually discuss theology.

The atheists go around shouting, "There is no Truth! Bwahahaha!"

This is why otherwise intelligent people are turned off by theology. They are listening to the people whose position is that there is no truth.

You can't expect anyone who has sense to take the atheist seriously when they simply want to destroy everything and deny truth. 

I don't think the people who consider their position as being possibly legitimate even understand that the atheist position is that there is no truth. They only say what they think sounds convincing. They only can loe, because they don't believe anything they say is true. It's mindlessly destructive.
Goldtop
Goldtop
Hey Mopac, welcome to the thread. I was wandering if I might post something that was directed at me and have folks comment on it, whadda ya say?

Repent and confess The Truth, oh wicked one, it will be better for you in the end.
Is this still preaching? Or, something else? It's so confusing, this preaching thingy, not easy to maneuver round.
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
-->
@Outplayz
I actually agree with mostly everything you said. However, there are some users that i didn't see in the philosophy forum which is why i would go to the religion forum to talk to them. The people that incessantly preach get on my nerves too. However, even i may come off that way bc at some point or another i have to put my foot down in what i believe.
There's a difference between getting preachy because you've exhausted all other options when dealing with someone, and being preachy as the default setting that you start with, the latter of which far and away being the most common in the religion forum

But.. i don't think i have talked to anyone else, very few bc i'm sure there is a user here and there, that is able to concede they may be wrong. That is annoying and likely more common in the philosophy forum
Oh every forum is filled with people who can't concede that they may be wrong no matter how stupid they are, Ethang being a perfect example of that....  The issue though is whether or not an intelligent conversation can be even had in the first place without being quickly derailed by some spammer or idiot. This is where the Religion forum stands out compared to all other forums, because the Religion forum seemingly ranks first in stupidity-per-capita, as it did on DDO. 

I should go to that one more often than i do. Just make sure when you are attacking an entire forum to be a little more specific so it doesn't come across as there are no good people... in which case i would disagree. With that said, i understand your concerns in regards to the religion forum. We're not all lunatics and some can be very amicable
Ok thats fair, and I probably did go over the top on describing the overall user in the Religion forum. At the same time, if you are not one of the aforementioned lunatics who are more inclined to participate in cyber-preaching and cyber-crusading than having a thoughtful discussion, it would still be for the best to avoid the forum as much as possible given the number of actual lunatics who populate the region.  

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Imabench

Debate is always stupid when people don't believe in the truth or aren't really trying to get to the truth.

What happens on the religion forum is just a more honest look into what is really going on for the rest of the site. It is the same here as it was on DDO.

What is debate among people who don't believe in truth? Rhetoric. Pissing contest. Popularity contest. Contest of stubbornness. Games of wannabe magicians.

So what is respectable about debate? Nothing. There is no reason to be smug or pretentious about it. Debate without truth is the sport of fools, and no matter how clever the fools are, they are only sowing discord, chaos, and destruction. It's an ego game. It's bullshit.

So what happens on the religion forum is very relevent. After all, there are people running around, yourself included, who identify with a label that means that you don't even believe in truth itself.

If you've been fooled into adopting such an idiotic position, what else have you been fooled of?

Being wrong can be a very humbling and life changing experience. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Imabench
Ok thats fair, and I probably did go over the top on describing the overall user in the Religion forum. At the same time, if you are not one of the aforementioned lunatics who are more inclined to participate in cyber-preaching and cyber-crusading than having a thoughtful discussion, it would still be for the best to avoid the forum as much as possible given the number of actual lunatics who populate the region.  

I understand your concerns. I guess it just comes down to personality. We are a little different. On one end, i know the users i can have a good conversation with so i don't run into your concerns on that end... and, second, i enjoy trolling every once and awhile and the people you mention are the most fun to troll. In that i think we are just different if you don't enjoy the same things i do. In large, i don't think you said anything too off... other than, i really think you can find these problem users in any of the forums. I haven't been paying attention if they are more prevalent in the religion forum... you may be right. I don't really pay attention to that personally. 

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Given that this thread has become more of a religious discussion, are there any objections to my moving this thread to the religion forum proper?
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@bsh1
No problem.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Imabench
There's a difference between getting preachy because you've exhausted all other options when dealing with someone, and being preachy as the default setting that you start with, the latter of which far and away being the most common in the religion forum
Either way if it is rational, logical common sense pathways and conclusions, then preach away.

We see many here ----in many diffferrent catagories--- who run away and hide from rational, logical common sense pathways of thought and the resultant conclusions.

Why? >>>>>> ego { *  i  * }

Con-stell-ation is a identify-able,  set/group of star events associated with animals, flowers, god etc.

Con-ego-ation is a identify-able, set/group of ego events assciated with politics, religion, irrationality, rationality etc.

532 days later

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Outplayz
@Imabench
@Goldtop
The religion forum is still vibrant. And since the mod team has upheld a higher standard, it is fine and getting better.

The old school DDO snooty elites are on their way out. The new young kids of Dart care nothing about their assumed superiority and dismiss them as old fogeys. And there is no Airmax here to protect them.

So you can find them now only in niche cracks of Dart, in like the politics or Gaming forums, pretending they're still on DDO.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@ethang5
Dear God, we finally got rid of that nutter don't give him an excuse to come back. Would love to see Outplayz more though.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@EtrnlVw
@Outplayz
Yeah. Outplayz wants to explore, but most posters here, atheists and theists, are terrified of exploring ideas and concepts.

The atheists are terrified that they may allow God to slip in somehow, and the theists are terrified they may be blaspheming somehow.
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
Yes. I dont believe in debates, i believe in discussions. Actual questions and answers. The only thing worthwhile in debates to me is cross examination. Why people think or believe something shows who they are.

16 days later

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@EtrnlVw
Hey man, just checked in. Thanks for saying that, made me feel good. I check in to see what you guys are up to every once and awhile but i'm still concentrating on different things irl. Looks like Ethan got himself a suspension again lol. Hope it's not Perm. I'll try to join in on some conversations but for now, i've been in lock down which i'm taking the time to get better with music and games. Anyways, just wanted to say whats up. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Outplayz
Hey man, just checked in. Thanks for saying that, made me feel good.

Absolutely, I think you're a great asset to a forum like this. Miss reading your theories. 

I check in to see what you guys are up to every once and awhile but i'm still concentrating on different things irl. Looks like Ethan got himself a suspension again lol. Hope it's not Perm.

I know, he does a good job at distracting the weirdos. Just wish he could have done it without insults, I mean you can make someone look dumb without saying they are dumb lol. 

I'll try to join in on some conversations but for now, i've been in lock down which i'm taking the time to get better with music and games. Anyways, just wanted to say whats up. 

Cool, this virus thing is crazy I'm in the same boat. Hope to see ya around.