Left and right, I need clarity.

Author: sadolite

Total: 286
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@sadolite
Well generally, the political axis is right and left based on social and economic grounds, while authoritarianism and libertarianism (anarchy more or less) is independent of those labels.

Total chaos like you described would likely be left-wing, though, since conservatism is mainly based on maintaining order.
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@sadolite
Right- and left-wing are just descriptors for those who worship at the Temple of the Elephant and the Temple of the Donkey, respectively.

It's a way to tear the US apart, with both sides becoming more extreme and radical (well, at least with respect to the right-wing Overton Window that the US has).

The founding fathers themselves were against political parties.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
You hush when you are speaking for your tribe.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@PressF4Respect
I don't think you understand the OP
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
Nah, I'm thinking about becoming a parishioner of the Temple of the Elephant.

I heard they have free Kool-Aid there ;)

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
Just don't get trampled by the RINOS. McCain's ghost will visit you while you are on the crapper.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
Don't worry, the sermons of Reverend Alex Jones will protect me from all the evil cuckservative spirits ;)
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
Not if you are on twitter, the pulpit of the fancy and less than esoteric. A digital shrine to cancel culture.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
On Twitter, I need not fear, for the Lord and Saviour Trump will uphold me with the small right hand of His righteousness ;)
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
McCain's ghost will visit you while you are on the crapper.
The Hanoi Songbird is great at haunting Trump
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Manchurian McCain.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
Not if you get fact-checked and canceled. Your opinion is invalid.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
Ikr those damn fact checkers

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
You misspelled opinion. Go back to cancel culture school for reprocessing and re-education by the state authorities.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
duDe be CAREful AboUT whAT YOU sAy oThERWiSE tHe PoLITBURo miGHt uNEXIst yOu.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
We all know the Illuminati runs the propaganda wing of the Democratic Party
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
You misspelled Illuminati. Go back to reeducation camp
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
Ah I am sorry, but 'tis you who are sorely mistaken. See, the AFT is simply the American Branch of the Illuminati's Youth Organization
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PressF4Respect
AFT is America forgot talent, a new tv show.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@Greyparrot
Awwww those contestants on AFT are sooooo cuuuuute!!!
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PressF4Respect
Contrary to popular belief, drinking bleach is NOT good for your health. Helpful tip, bud. ^_^
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@bmdrocks21
Contrary to popular belief, hydroxychloroquine is NOT a cure to COVID-19. Helpful tip, bud. ^_^
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PressF4Respect
I hear it shows promising signs for curing ignorance. You should try some, bud ;)

PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@bmdrocks21
I heard bleach cures stupid. You should try some, bud ;3
Nemiroff
Debates: 15
Nemiroff
-->
@bmdrocks21
Note the glaring word "opinion" in the url. Within the article you see the quote: "*I’ve* been advocating the abolition of the police for years." There isnt even a suggestion of this opinion being anyones but his own.

You presume that what 1 person believes is a mainstream opinion with zero evidence. I see this alot. It is incredibly falacious thinking.

A recent "last week tonight" episode where john Oliver touches on alot of the issues, including the defund issue.

I also remember years ago when police had several encouters with mental people, including a deadly encounter with a tazzed schitzo on a roof who fell and died, police were quoted saying "we arent trained for this, we dont want to respond to these issues, this isnt our job."

Once you take the politics and angry semantics out of this, defund the police is something that should be logical and bipartisan. Their law enforcement efforts should he properly funded, but the staff and funding to respond to wellness checks and mental situations should be handled by psychiatrists and social workers. 

Nemiroff
Debates: 15
Nemiroff
-->
@RationalMadman
Its not deceptive. Defund and reform mean very different things. The confusion is entirely yours for believing they are the same thing.

Reform implies changing department policies, does not affect resources. May actually require more resources to implement changes. Defund seeks to move resources for enforcement and put it into investment. Poverty creates crime. Decreasing the effects of poverty should reduce crime, while also enabling people instead of imprisoning them. Sounds more benefitial for the rest of society too.

Reform has nothing to do with defund. The only confusion is in conflating the 2. Maybe you think they are talking about reform because you are reading articles on reform.... 🤔
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5

Nobody seems to want to define what the very most extreme of left thinking or right thinking is but rather move to the center and characterize in philosophical terms. 
Does this not count?
From post #78:
At its core, liberalism places man himself as the standard (touchstone) of morality. That is, whatever man deems moral, IS moral. And thus, pleasure becomes the greatest moral good, (homosexuality is pleasurable, thus good) and suffering becomes the greatest moral evil (poverty is painful, thus evil) All liberal doctrine flow from this core.

At its core, conservatism places the standard (touchstone) of morality outside of men, that is, morality is independent of men, therefore, what a man deems moral, IS not necessarily moral. And thus, pleasure may be moral good (sex in marriage)or moral evil, (sex in rape)and suffering may be moral good (sacrifice to save innocents)or moral evil (oppressing the poor), all conservative doctrine flow from this core.

Either way you look at it you are moving to the left .
I disagree. This is not a movement to the left.
The ruling elite agree not to kill each other...

Neither is this....
...OR they may get allies and agree to enforce rules that say you will be killed if you try to kill and rob other people but you may do as you please other wise.

Those are moves to the right. Thus, anarchy is the middle ground, an absence of left OR right ideology.

The right behaves as if morality is sourced outside men.
The left behaves as if morality is sourced inside men.
Anarchy behaves as if morality does not exist.

It's ok if you find no value in my post, but saying that nobody seems to want to define what the very most extreme of left thinking or right thinking is, is just not true.

Good thread topic BTW.
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@bmdrocks21
In western europe,  Cabada, Australia+NZ South Korea and Japan there has been example of reducing crime in ways that involve less law enforcement and more effort on reducing the reasons people commit crimes and general aggression and dissatisfaction in the populace. This is social democracy.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PressF4Respect
I heard bleach cures stupid. You should try some, bud ;3

Wow, you're sooooo creative.

Take a gander a post 201 in which I said:

"Contrary to popular belief, drinking bleach is NOT good for your health. Helpful tip, bud. ^_^"

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
Note the glaring word "opinion" in the url. Within the article you see the quote: "*I’ve* been advocating the abolition of the police for years." There isnt even a suggestion of this opinion being anyones but his own.

You presume that what 1 person believes is a mainstream opinion with zero evidence. I see this alot. It is incredibly falacious thinking.
I recognize that it is an opinion piece, and you will notice within the same post I say:

"Not saying that is the main "defund" police opinion"

And based on what Minneapolis did, he clearly wasn't the only person with this idea.

Once you take the politics and angry semantics out of this, defund the police is something that should be logical and bipartisan. Their law enforcement efforts should he properly funded, but the staff and funding to respond to wellness checks and mental situations should be handled by psychiatrists and social workers. 

But the whole point of calling it "defund the police" is to make it partisan. Remember "abolish ICE" from two years ago? For some reason, whoever runs these campaigns seems intent on throwing hatred at the people who keep us safe.

A wellness check isn't necessarily something police shouldn't do. That is when someone stops answering their phone, meaning there could have been some kind of crime involved. If it is because of a mental issue, sure, hook them up with a psychiatrist or something.

And mental situations like the one you outlined above are going to be incredibly rare. It is much more likely that when someone is acting nuts, they will be high on drugs, which a psychiatrist cannot help with. Furthermore, you need to consider that you are now going to be putting "psychiatrists and social workers" in some situations that could be very dangerous.