Why are people tearing down certain statues?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 122
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
but that is the effect it is having. 
It literally was for over a 100 years. Frederick Douglas the most profound abolitionist gave a speech at the inauguration of the statue. You’re the one who said context matter. Context does matter. Just because a white man is standing while a black man is kneeling doesn’t make it automatically racist lol.

so? Something has existed for awhile so it should continue to exist? Slavers made that argument too.
Actual abolitionists and supporters of black equality had no problem with it for decades. Why are you having a problem with it?

so you think the fact that people hate "commies" more than they hate black people means they aren't racists? 
Who’s trying to change the topic now? Conservative values matter now. Conservative values in the modern era allow for black conservatives to hold office, which didn’t happen from 1876 to 1964.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
I think it is offensive that the word "slave" is in history books. I say we take out the part about slavery.
I honestly think HB is a 16 year that isn’t even American who’s preaching for social justice in America. The dude is so delusional
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
What do you want, a photo? 23 and me DNA scan?

Why is DNA purity so important to you?
I have never spoken about DNA purity. So yet another straw man. I am talking about portraying people of color as if they are white.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Again, why is the DNA purity of one's skin so goddamn important to you?

Why is it so important to you to mount a scientific crusade to conclusively match the DNA of Jesus to a certain skin shade?

Exactly what power does a CERTAIN shade of brown skin hold that enhances your perception of Jesus? What are the properties of genetic melanin that fascinate you to care so much?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
He’s probably one of those people who believe Jesus was a Muslim prophet or something, that’s why he’s so adamant on not depicting Jesus in any other way
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
So sick of these "magical skin" cults.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Again, why is the DNA purity of one's skin so goddamn important to you?
why do you keep bringing up DNA purity? I have never mentioned that. That is some nazi kind of stuff. 

Why is it so important to you to mount a scientific crusade to conclusively match the DNA of Jesus to a certain skin shade?
i never said that. In fact I explicitly said I do not agree with trying to force people to tear down statues of white jesus. I said I can understand their point. 

Exactly what power does a CERTAIN shade of brown skin hold that enhances your perception of Jesus? What are the properties of genetic melanin that fascinate you to care so much?
It isn't about "enhancing my perception". It is that distorting the reality of what jesus was (assuming he actually existed), so that he is your race, is racist. If you can't appreciate jesus' message coming from the man he was and you feel the need to make him white in order to listen to him, you are probably a racist. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
He’s probably one of those people who believe Jesus was a Muslim prophet or something, that’s why he’s so adamant on not depicting Jesus in any other way
I'm not even 100% convinced he even existed. But if he did, he was probably just a con artist, like the dozen or so other "messiahs" that were wandering around the middle east doing the same "miracles" jesus was reported to have done. The only thing that made jesus any different from the other "messiah's" was that the cult around him was successful following his death. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 so that he is your race..

Like I said., why the FUCK do you care about the racial DNA of Jesus?

You don't know what his DNA is any more than the rest of the world. Why do you care what someone claims his DNA is?

Does it really matter that much to you to be on that high horse? That you can fight with someone over DNA nobody can EVER prove?

What DNA would you like to see Jesus as anyway? What some hack scientist of the day claims it is? How does that get your jollies on?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Like I said., why the FUCK do you care about the racial DNA of Jesus?
I don't. Not in the slightest bit. The point is that christians depicting him as something he is not, very much do. And that is a part of a fundamentally racist philosophy. 

But again, I'm not agreeing with the people who say everyone should teat down statues of white jesus. I think it is kinda silly. I'm just saying I see their point. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
 as something he is not

You don't know what he is not. You can just make a guess based on your give-a-fuck racial meter.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
You don't know what he is not. You can just make a guess based on your give-a-fuck racial meter.
No. Historians make the most logical deduction that can be made. He most certainly was not the blonde haired European a lot of Christians depict him as. Depicting him as european is just obviously not accurate and racist. 

But again, I repeat that I do not think that it is worth tearing down statues for. I'm just saying I can see where they are coming from. 

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
No. Historians make the most logical deduction that can be made. He most certainly was not the blonde haired European a lot of Christians depict him as. Depicting him as european is just obviously not accurate and racist. 

If it is a guess, what is wrong with Americans guessing Jesus was White? Unless there is definitive proof, you can only say that they are likely wrong, not actually wrong.

It is just like the "we wuz kangz" thing Black people do. They say Egyptians were Black when they were likely Arabs.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
I’m so happy there aren’t hate speech laws in the U.S. cause we’d be behind bars if we said half the stuff we say
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
You'd lose your job for saying much more mild things if it got connected back to you. America is becoming a joke of a nation, and they are making it very hard to be proud of my country.

Honestly, the whole West is getting this way. Maybe I'll move to Poland.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
No. Historians make the most logical deduction that can be made.

The Historians that give a fuck about DNA and race do, sure. Why would you care about the claims of racist historians guessing about a person's DNA like it means anything important? I'm genuinely interested in why this is such a big deal to you.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
I thought race was a social construct. Why does it matter that we construct it differently? ;)
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@HistoryBuff
sure, I have never seen any evidence that jesus was one of them though. 
What would be considered evidence, which informs his being Caucasian?

When you state that he's "Middle-Eastern," you're not stating much. There are Caucasoid middle easterners; there are negroid middle easterners; and there are mongoloid middle easterners. What are you attempting to argue by claiming that he's "Middle Eastern"? That he's "non-white"? "White" is not a race, ethnicity or culture. It's a corporate designation.

But again, I repeat that I do not think that it is worth tearing down statues for. I'm just saying I can see where they are coming from. 
What do you mean by "European"? There are non-caucasoid Europeans--largely due to the mongol invasions, the Moors, the Etruscans, and the Ottoman Empire. Scotland had so-called "black" monarchs (e.g. Kenneth III.) Nazareth is in Galilee. Galilee is in Northern Israel. Israel is in the Arabian peninsula, which is a composite of South Western Asia, South Eastern Europe, and North Eastern Africa.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Athias
Honestly, have you ever been to a Church that shows a blonde-haired Jesus? I’ve only ever seen brown-haired.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
I’m telling you dude, the guy is a SJW that probably isn’t even American 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
Race is based upon perceivable difference,  and also also upon regional separation  and conditioned data.

If we were visited by aliens, they would initially regard us as one species....But upon closer inspection they would inevitably categorise us based upon certain criteria...notably, perceivably difference.

And I expect that aliens would still have some sort of god principle....Though it might be green and have six legs.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@zedvictor4
Race is based upon perceivable difference,  and also also upon regional separation  and conditioned data.
so then the term "african american" shouldn't be used right?  there's people with very dark skin from many other countries, hemispheres other than africa.  How many dark skin people are NOT descendants of american slave owners?  Weren't the slaves sold by other africans?  do those countries owe reparations?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Well, the term African American is used, and I will go out on a limb here and suggest that African Americans will often choose to be regarded as such when it's suits a cause.

Historical events seem to have led us to a situation whereby Racism is exclusively regarded as light skin toned of Northern European origin person, oppressing dark skin toned person who is a descendant of forced migration from Africa....And as you rightly pointed out,  racism in reality is never and has never been this exclusive.

And let's be honest...Why would we keep continually digging up the past, if there wasn't some sort of gain to be made from it.

Repatriations, and yes, who pays who for what.....Well the present day reality is that it's the aforementioned light skinned guy, handing over cash the aforementioned darker skinned guy simply because they have a perceivable difference in skin tone that can be related to locations of now distant ancestral origin.....In other words mutual racism for cash.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@zedvictor4
man that was a really good post, I'm going to try to remember your points and use them.  Let's not judge people on their race, sex, or sexual orientation unless they can benefit from it.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@zedvictor4

There are also genetic differences. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
There will be genetic differences between everyone, except (in 99.9% of incidences) identical twins....Genetic differences that define physical appearance are perceivably obvious....Whereas the genes that dictate that one develops cancer latter on in life for example, take longer to manifest.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@zedvictor4
But the genetics of two random people in, let's say Britain, are very likely closer than  one of those British people and a random person in China or Zimbabwe, wouldn't you say?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
Well yes, especially with genes that dictate physical appearance....Though Britishness is actually defined by a very wide gene pool... Even two similar looking "White" Britain's might display a very diverse genetic ancestry...Not unsurprising considering the historical events that shaped Britishness.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@zedvictor4
Now, do you believe that genetics can alter something more important than appearance? Let’s say, intelligence and behavior?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
Genetics dictate everything about an individual.

Though intelligence is far from exclusive and behaviour is just as much to do with social conditioning as it is to do with genetics.

Similarly, variations in academic achievement  are just as likely to be resultant of social disparities.