-->
@skittlez09
yeah
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@WaterPhoenix
can i travel forward in time after im ready or am i stuck forever?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
I would suggest that a virtual simulation is a current and possible event, irrespective of the content.
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@skittlez09
In this scenario you're suddenly teleported back, completely unaware of how you got there.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
..."I would suggest that a virtual simulation is a current and possible event, irrespective of the content."...

I have no idea what your going on about Zed

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Physicists do not reverse time, they create a virtual simulation of previous events.

Though if we have a continuous record of previous events we can create a continuous simulation.

The brain/technology interface is yet to be fully explored, so anything is possible I suppose.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@WaterPhoenix
I am the only person in this entire thread who properly replied to it.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
A thread is as a thread does.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Though if it were yesterday I would probably go for a bike ride with myself, hopefully I could agree with myself on who rode which bike.

And my wife would be in for a treat.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
@RationalMadman

Ok, sure buddy.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Why won't you reply to my post?
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
Which one? And if you mean reply as in like tagging you I can't do that because a certain someone *ahem* you blocked me. And I think oro's post was pretty contributive too.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
#41 Comes across as a lovelorn plea from a lovestruck of female....The accompanying image probably exacerbates the situation.

115 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@WaterPhoenix
What would you do if you were suddenly teleported to the past? For me the answer is simple. I'd kill myself. Before we get too hasty here, I'm not suicidal, I swear. I have too much nothing to do to die. But, if I were teleported to the past, in order to not alter a single event in history, I would find a remote area and discreetly kill myself. No matter what atrocity I could prevent, it's not worth messing with the timeline to prevent. As a result of preventing one tragedy who knows how many more could occur? Is this the right thing to do though?
Same as I do now, try to enjoy life.
Probably try to make use of future concepts, be it tech or theory in various fields, then fail at it as I don't actually know how much of it works.
But maybe get lucky, or just the gist of some ideas be enough.
Maybe only end up as 'mildly intelligent servant.
Maybe only have small success at minor business of original for the times concept.
Maybe become powerful/wealthy instead of lesser results.

But I'd 'try at success and ease, the more the better.

As for the timeline, well, I'm selfish, and place value and emphasis on myself.
Besides if the time line is so topsy turvy 'I get tossed to the past, things are probably screwed anyhow.
No, I think the right thing to do is to enjoy oneself, seek success.
. . .
Well, people have different values, and individuals have different values at different times.
Still, I'd say live and make of life in the past what one can.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Lemming
okay, but what if in doing so, you make a time paradox and the space-time continuum collapses. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@WaterPhoenix
I think the key thing here is "what if" Personally I think that the scope of the situation is a little too vague for my liking. 
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Theweakeredge
situation is you get teleported back in time over 100 years suddenly, zero warning. you're still wearing the same clothes and you don't have a magical translator.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Am I in the same location, or an approximated not stuck in wall location anways?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@WaterPhoenix

What is a magical translator?
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Theweakerscale
just somewhere, preferrably not in a wall.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@zedvictor4
do you know in books and the like where they go to a completely different time period, country, or planet, and the people there just happen to know the main character's language, or at least that language is just magically translated through the author's will? yeah, that's what a magical translator is.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@WaterPhoenix
If reality can be broken so easily, how 'valuable was it anyway, is what I might figure.
By that I mean if it's existence and by extension 'ours can be destroyed 'so easy, we're as a soap bubble in the air, why make 'so much effort to guard 'such an ephemeral and false state of being.
Though I'm not really sure what 'entails when "the space-time continuum collapses."

Besides time travel wouldn't prove any afterlife to me I think, so to the end, I think I might prefer myself and my own happiness, even if it's to be short lived.
Might prefer to take my chances, that perhaps it 'doesn't mess anything up.

I've read a 'few books that included time travel, always hated the concept that I 'remember, to the point I try to avoid it.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Therefore, if your scenario is purely pretence, then why would you kill yourself?

Just pretend that being there is not a future problem.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@WaterPhoenix
. . .
Besides, perhaps one 'can't collapse time, I've 'no knowledge of the subject.
I don't really understand how it's logically 'possible to travel backwards in time anyway, I think I'd sooner think I'd gone insane, than 'actually traveled to the past. I 'think.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@zedvictor4
? i don't think that's what pretense means. of course it's a fictional scenario, i'm asking what you would do if you were in that scenario. 
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Lemming
sure i guess
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@WaterPhoenix
As I stated earlier (#4). It would depend upon where and when..... Though I certainly wouldn't kill myself, as if it happened then it was meant to happen. 

So primarily, hide and assess the situation.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@WaterPhoenix
You don't have to worry, because time travel is impossible. Carlo Rovelli , an Italian theoretical physicist,  according to his theorizing, time itself disappears at the most fundamental level. His theories ask us to accept the notion that time is merely a function of our “blurred” human perception. 
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@FLRW
could you link his theories? the article you linked was just about how he sold books.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@WaterPhoenix
The Order of Time Carlo Rovelli Allen Lane (2018)
According to theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli, time is an illusion: our naïve perception of its flow doesn’t correspond to physical reality. Indeed, as Rovelli argues in The Order of Time, much more is illusory, including Isaac Newton’s picture of a universally ticking clock. Even Albert Einstein’s relativistic space-time — an elastic manifold that contorts so that local times differ depending on one’s relative speed or proximity to a mass — is just an effective simplification.
As Rovelli explains, the apparent existence of time — in our perceptions and in physical descriptions, written in the mathematical languages of Newton, Einstein and Erwin Schrödinger — comes not from knowledge, but from ignorance. ‘Forward in time’ is the direction in which entropy increases, and in which we gain information.
The book is split into three parts. In the first, “The Crumbling of Time”, Rovelli attempts to show how established physics theories deconstruct our common-sense ideas. Einstein showed us that time is just a fourth dimension and that there is nothing special about ‘now’; even ‘past’ and ‘future’ are not always well defined. The malleability of space and time mean that two events occurring far apart might even happen in one order when viewed by one observer, and in the opposite order when viewed by another.