Facts are fundamentally just feelings

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 90
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
What people believes, it later becomes the facts.

What people believes is made of feelings.

Facts are fundamentally just feelings.

Facts used to be that God is truth and anything said against God is lies. Facts used to be that Earth is completely flat.

Now they aren't actual facts anymore, mainly that people don't believe that anymore.

Comment your thoughts on this.
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
gravity exsits is an undeniable fact, if you jump up you will fall back down. those aren't feelings that's the most basic of logic.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Einstein proved that gravity isn’t an individual force, and I can simply deny that gravity exists and that infinitely many ghost hands are subtly grabbing me in the foot and that the textbooks are lying. 

What people believe, there lies the truth. Nothing is true until they are.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
no they are not
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
I can simply deny that gravity exists and that infinitely many ghost hands are subtly grabbing me in the foot and that the textbooks are lying. 
Yeah you could but you would be wrong.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I could be wrong because this is not what people think. What people think is true is essentially true in this social world.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
So if everyone thought that pure water was toxic for humans to drink then pure water would become toxic for humans to drink?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
They won’t. That is why it is not the truth. If it is not the truth, then no one will believe in it. Your idea cannot seem to get around people.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
They won’t.
But if they did...?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
Hmmmmm.

I feel that your syntax needs brushing up a tad, and that's a certain fact.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@zedvictor4
“I feel that”
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Intelligence_06
So if I believe that God exists - does that mean it will become a fact? I am talking about God, not my belief. 

Or if I believe that what people believe has nothing to do with facts, then will that later become a fact? 

When you mean feelings, are you talking about touch, sight, hearing, and  smell? Or are you talking about something else? Like, love or sadness, or humility, or fear or something else? 

In other words are you using the term feeling to refer to our experience of life or to the emotions that people experience as individuals in response to the things we experience in life? 

Please clarify your previous statement - by answering my questions in the previous section. 

What is a belief? Is it something we think about philosophically? Is it something that we experience and articulate? Is it an emotional response to what we experience? 

I would think that facts are an objective reality within a neutral framework. For example. 1 + 1 = 2. Or wood comes from trees. Or I am sitting at my computer typing. 

Yet, our interpretation of those facts can be manifold. Some might argue that 1 does not always = 1. Some might argue that wood comes from the shop. Others might say that I am actually drinking a coffee. 

Facts used to be that God is truth and anything said against God is lies. Facts used to be that Earth is completely flat.
Based on your premises, I don't see how this can be the case. It was a certainly a belief that God was truth and anything said against God was in fact lies. But was it a fact? If of course you are correct that beliefs and facts are identical, then perhaps that might be true. Yet, just because I believed that the sun revolved around the world 500 years ago did not make it a fact. It only made it a belief - but not a fact.  And in fact if our scientists are correct, then it was never a fact, simply an error on human's part at the time.  An error that has been corrected.  Similarly, if my mother who lives in a mental asylum's believes she is Cleopatra, that belief does not make it a fact. It, the belief actually reveals that her belief is not a fact.  If I believe I can fly, that won't suddenly become a fact, just because I believe it to be the case. 

Now they aren't actual facts anymore, mainly that people don't believe that anymore.
Yeah, I disagree with you here. Facts are not determined by whether someone believes them or not. Facts are objective realities. Of course - how these objective realities are observed and understood is subject to subjective realities.  I look at a cow and think to myself - hmm a creation of God, to be used by God's people for the purposes of enjoying God. An atheist looks at the same cow and thinks: food, or animal - that has evolved over years to become what it is.   We are both looking a cow - seeing with our own eyes - but the cow is a cow whatever we think or believe about it.  It is not a dog. It is not a cat. It is not a human. It cannot fly. It does not matter what we believe about it - that wont change its objective abilities and capabilities or characteristics - or if you like the objective facts about it. What we believe won't change whether it was created by God or a process in evolution. Those things - or objective realities stand apart from our beliefs about it.  

simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
Empirical facts fundamentally require experiences. But we can imagine a creature that has experiences without feelings. 

Non-empirical facts, if they exist, don't require anything if we're including fundamental logical truths such as the LOI.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
I feel like everything you said is complete nonsense.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I second that.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
So the theory is "whatever most people say is true magically becomes true"

So is the theory wrong because most people in this thread say it is wrong or has the theory always been wrong?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
Well, going by merriam webster, one of the definitions of fact is.

"A piece of information presented as having objective reality"

Seems to me one of the more common definitions really. Information, isn't really a feeling though.
Ben Shapiro's even well known for saying "Facts don't care about your feelings."

Sure you can argue against that, though it becomes semantic reasoning eventually, I think.
Not that it's not 'worth doing, or can't teach a person a bit of humbleness when using facts,

"1500 years ago, everybody 'knew that the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody 'knew that the earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you 'knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll 'know tomorrow." - MIB

But plain speaking, I think of facts as what's Reasoned/Recognized as true.
simplybeourselves
Debates: 1
simplybeourselves
(P1) If all facts are just feelings then there won't be any examples, at all, of a fact that isn't just feelings.

(P2) It's a fact that we don't have libertarian free will.

(P3) The fact that we don't have libertarian free will is an example of a fact that isn't just feelings.

(C1) Therefore, facts are not just feelings. 

80 days later

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Intelligence_06
You are confusing perceived fact with fact, they aren't synonymous. 
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@Intelligence_06
I use knowledge to convey a perception of reality that one has the utmost faith in. 

That is what it means to know, to be faithful to the perception of truth, or have complete faith in God.

Facts are verifiable knowledge, a useful distinction in the transfer of knowledge.  Facts may be accepted by a jury as indisputable evidence.

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Intelligence_06
"Einstein proved that gravity isn’t an individual force, and I can simply deny that gravity exists and that infinitely many ghost hands are subtly grabbing me in the foot and that the textbooks are lying."
  It's my understanding that gravity is the result of mass bending the geometry of spacetime. So ghost hands is fundamentally an unscientific idea bc it's untestable, unfalsifiable, and pales in comparison as an explanation of "why things fall" than the theory of gravity.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Intelligence_06
Sounds like nihilism.

Even these feelings are meaningless.

Chunk it all into the black hole.

I completely disagree with this making arbitrary of truth, but of course, you could simply just dismiss what I say as a feeling. Then I could dismiss what you are saying as a feeling.

Then it can all be dismissed.

Chunk it all into the black hole.

Nihilism. The doctrine of negation.

453 days later

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
smh
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Facts do care about feelings, because in order to make it a fact, you have to feel that it is correct.

And no, facts can be subjective. Put a man on the other end of a 9 statue and put a wall also so he can't go to the other side, and he will say that this is a 6. For a person elsewhere, it is a 9. It is a fact to you because YOU believe it is true.

Gravity? Yeah sure. You jump up, you throw the ball, it goes down. Gravity! That is Proof! If you are born in in 0G and there is no video or proof showing that gravity indeed exists, to you it seems like as if it doesn't exist.

Facts cannot not care about your feelings. If you don't feel this is true, it isn't a fact for you. You could be convinced though, by means that you think is actually "proof".

And for the "perceived fact" thing, no, you think it is a fact because you think you have proof of it being true. The world has no obligation to be true, you are the reason that it exists for you. For others, if they even exist at all, their world may be different. Hallucinations and illusions are just different perceptions of the world.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
Eh, I just don't agree with your logic.

A person may desperately want, desire, feel that something fact 'must not be,
And yet, only by denying their eyes, logic, reason, and rationale,
Can they deny the truth.

Personel Facts are a mix of senses, experiences, logic. (Edit, and Choice, I suppose.
Objective Facts are different, and unknowable, I suppose 'some might argue.)
'That much I'd be willing to admit,
But when people talk of 'feelings, the mind usually goes to no logic, the most basic and primitive unreasoning animals.

Maybe you're using the wrong words to make your argument?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Lemming
That is because in order for something to become a fact, all you have to do is to feel that it is true. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
What do you mean by feel?
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

• The definition of a fact is something that is true or something that has occurred or has been proven correct. An example of a fact is that the world is round. An example of a fact is the detail about a driver texting while driving that is told to the court and reported in a news story.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
@Intelligence_06
In fact, the World is not specifically "round".

It is roughly spherical.

"Round" could imply a flat Earth,

And we wouldn't want to do that.

Well that's how I feel.

Though, in so much as all internal processes are relative to all internal processes,

So in relative terms, feelings become facts and are only distinguishable by adapting the self same internally relative processes.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Intelligence_06

Comment your thoughts on this.
REAL TRUE FACTS MUST BE QUANTIFIABLE AND OR LOGICALLY NECESSARY (and emotionally meaningless) - QUANTA

OPINION MUST BE EXPERIENTIAL AND OR PRIVATE GNOSIS AND UNFALSIFIABLE (and emotionally meaningful) - QUALIA

people often conflate consensus AXIOMS with "facts"