Your LEAST favorite Bible Story?

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 103
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous
Do you have any response to my post that contained that evidence?

Yes. It wasn't evidence.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@PGA2.0
@Tradesecret
@ludofl3x

ludofl3x,

MY MOST NOT FAVORITE BIBLICAL PASSAGE:

As the only TRUE Christian within this forum, I used to picket Family Planning Clinics upon their 3% abortion rate with placards in hand.  Then, since I read ALL OF the Bible, unlike Tradesecret and PGA2.0, et al, I unfortunately came across the biblical axiom of Jesus, as the brutal serial killer Hebrew God Yahweh incarnate, is not Pro-Life whatsoever because many Biblical passages  have Him murdering innocent zygotes, fetus' and babies.

This was a turning point for me personally, where how could I be disgusted with the abortion clinics, when my Jesus did abortions and murders towards innocent children as well! The following biblical axiom, of which is only ONE OF MANY EXAMPLES of my Jesus performing abortions, and even murdering innocent babies if they were born, is as follows:

"As for Ephraim, their glory shall fly away like a bird, from the birth even from the womb and from the conception. Though they bring up their sons, yet I will bereave them, that there shall not be a man left; yea, woe also to them when I depart from them! Ephraim, as I saw Tyre, is planted in a pleasant place; but Ephraim shall bring forth his sons to the murderer. Give them, O LORD, that which thou must give them; give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. All their wickedness was in Gilgal, for there I took a dislike to them; for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of my house, I will never love them again: all their princes are disloyal. Ephraim was smitten, their root is dried up; they shall bear no more fruit; even though they bring forth, yet I will slay even the desirable fruit of their womb.” (Hosea 9: 11-16)

As if Jesus didn't truly abort many innocent fetus' in His Great Flood and plagues, the example in the book of Hosea shown above is outright disgusting, but, a TRUE Christian like myself has to turn the cheek and accept Jesus' true modus operandi and just move on the best way that I can. :(

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrotherDThomas
 Him murdering innocent zygotes, fetus' and babies......
innocent children as well! ......even murdering innocent babies......many innocent fetus'......

Well you appear to have lucked out biblically  there brother. There are no innocent babies or innocent fetuses or innocent children according to 

SirAnonymous  at post #21 saying : You keep saying that these were "innocent" people or "innocent" children. However, according to the Bible, no one is innocent. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Furthermore, the Bible also says, "For the wages of sin is death." (Romans 6:23) If we put 2 and 2 together, this means that everyone deserves death because everyone is a sinner. So if the Bible is true, then God is justified when he kills people.

I have asked for evidence showing that god himself condemned the innocent to death for sin. But is all I have had so far is filibustering and  biblical claptrap and some very dodgy maths in response.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
Yes. It wasn't evidence.
Ok. I showed you from Scripture where God said that everyone is evil from childhood and the the punishment for evil is death. If you don't think that's evidence, then the onus is entirely on you to explain why not.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous
I showed you from Scripture where God said that everyone is evil from childhood

I asked you to show me where god almighty himself condemned all children to death for sin.   You haven't done so.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@SirAnonymous
as a source of authority, can you prove the bible is inerrant?
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
I have shown that God says everyone is evil and that the punishment for evil is sin. Ergo, everyone, including children, deserve death according to God.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@n8nrgmi
I can provide evidence for Biblical inerrancy, but it's irrelevant to the discussion Stephen and I are having. We're talking about whether or not God is immoral if the Bible is true. In order to have that conversation, we have to set aside the topic of whether it's actually true or inerrant or not because that would remove the basis of our discussion.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@SirAnonymous
i haven't been following the minutia of your arguments, but it looks like he doesn't accept the authority of the bible as evidence. 
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@n8nrgmi
No, he doesn't, but the question he asked was  "Where in the OT  is it that god condemns all babies to death for sin." So for this specific question, the Bible is the authority.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@n8nrgmi
If you read back to the beginning of our argument, he was claiming that, according to the Bible, God killed innocent people, wheres I claimed that, according to the Bible, no one is innocent. So although he doesn't ultimately accept the Bible as an authority, it is the authority on this particular debate.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@SirAnonymous
good point slash recap, thanks. 
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@n8nrgmi
You're welcome.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

First off and subjectively,  SirAnonymous is one fry short of a Happy Meal. :(   That being said, and using the logic that Jesus as the Hebrew serial killer God of the Bible name Yahweh, then the following has to be stated: 

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.” (Psalm 51:5)

The passage above states that a baby born was brought forth in iniquity at birth, and that the mother was in sin when she conceived said zygote first, and then turning into a  fetus. BUT, only when said zygote or fetus is eventually turned into a baby being born, does it have a sinful nature! 

The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies.” (Psalm 58:3)

This passage above states that ONLY when one is estranged from the womb, as being born as a baby, do the passages of a sinful nature occur.

Therefore, a zygote or fetus is NOT born yet, and is therefore sinless, then Jesus as the Hebrew God ONLY, and as a serial killer to His creation in the Great Flood and in His plagues, etc., He murdered, or aborted, innocent zygotes and fetus that were SINLESS! 2+2=4.

I know, as if Jesus' true MO is not sickening enough at times for TRUE Christians like myself to accept, then you have the apologetics of the Tradesecrets that turn themselves into pretzels in trying so hard to make Jesus something that  He is not, and that is a truly a loving and forgiving God, NOT!

Have we ever determined in what brand of RUNNING AWAY SHOES that Tradesecret wears?

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@BrotherDThomas
First off and subjectively,  SirAnonymous is one fry short of a Happy Meal.
That's definitely true. Any guy who wastes his time roleplaying as an environmentalist picking NFL winners based on the "greenness" of their mascots probably has a few screws loose. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgmi
Inerrancy is easy to prove. And to disprove. Just go and find me a measuring tool that measures inerrancy? 

Castin
Castin
-->
@RoderickSpode
As a rule, I see a problem with looking at any ancient texts without taking into consideration the context of the time, people, language, and culture.

However, I also see a problem with looking at the Bible through the lens of inerrancy, as I believe it was a book written by quite fallible humans from quite a long time ago on the road of moral and intellectual progress.
The folks who wrote the bible were definitely fallible. But it really boils down to whether or not God exists, and actually leads, guides, and empowers weak fallible men. If God doesn't exist, then the skies the limit on how many errors would be in the Bible. If God exists, and actually did inspire the authors of scripture, and those who chose the canons, then why should I think there are errors?

Theoretically, after I pass on and meet the creator, it's possible He may tell me there's that one verse in Malachi that is wrong, and/or shouldn't be there. But why should I think any verse is wrong?

If God purposed for a written document to contain everything He wanted to convey, even if someone tried to sabotage the writings to contain error, it would most likely fail. The bible is full of attempts at defying God's plan, and inadvertently help fulfill God's plan (like Christ's crucifixion). Do you ever see those movies or tv shows where someone tries to run away from something, going the opposite direction, but ends up in the same location? In the context of Yahweh being real, it would be far more difficult to change the bible (into false literature) than writing divinely inspired words, and choosing which books should be included in the bible. Not even Thomas Jefferson could do it.
If you found out that  Yahweh exists, how would you view the fallible/infallible biblical issue? Do you think God would allow for scriptural error?
Great question - I'll try to answer this in your other thread about this topic, in the interests of keeping the discussion here on the subject of controversial biblical stories (and keeping my posts 1 mile long instead of 6 miles long).

What I mean by contemporary view is exactly how Ludo, and many others view the text. They read it as a group of  little children mocking Elisha's lack of hair. Elisha gets offended because he's sensitive about it, throws a tantrum, commands 2 bears to come out and slaughter the little culprits.
Oh. No, I took it more like "This man is blessed and chosen of God. Beware."

I should probably add that I do think tearing dozens of kids apart via bear is a super harsh punishment even for just insulting God.

Your understanding is correct,
(Your words.)

although I'll point out that more than likely Elisha's life was in danger. So verbal insults was not the only issue at play here.
I didn't really read any clear mortal danger to Elisha in the text, personally.

It seems at least 42 youths were there, which is rather a lot - I know I would've been worried, if I wasn't a prophet who had God's protection. But they don't appear to do anything more than jeer - in the KJV "Go up, thou bald head!" and in the NIV "Get out of here, baldy!" It sounds to me like they were just trying to run Elisha off.

It is interesting that you think this means Abraham knew God would prevent the sacrifice, as the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews seems to think it meant Abraham believed God would raise Isaac from the dead after Abraham had gone through with it and sacrificed him (Hebrews 11:17-19). Of course, that is a Christian perspective and I remind myself that Christians did not write Genesis.
Oh I know. Maybe a better way to put it would be prevention of Isaac's death.

But I don't think that passage in Hebrews eliminates the possibility that Abraham didn't assume he would have to plunge the knife into him.
Out of curiosity, what level of spiritual authority do you ascribe to Paul's epistles?

8 Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” And the two of them went on together.

So for the sake of argument I will ask this: If Abraham knew God wouldn't let him go through with it, was it really a test? Was the angel really justified in declaring "Now I know you fear God"?
Yes. An example of this would be Peter who knew Jesus was the Son of God, had seen His miracles, etc. But, fear gripped him when he tried walking on water. The disciples had seen miracles, but were still inhibited in their faith when facing a large group of hungry people, with just a few fish and loaves of bread. Faith doesn't end with finding God. There's still the calling. If God told you to face a lion, and it will flee, you still have to face a 500 lbs. beast face to face. When a believer finds God, their calling is revealed
sometime after. The calling is usually something desirable, but impossible on our own ability. It's tough because we have to rely on God to see it through. If you found God today, you may find you're called to sing. You may say that singing karaoke is fun, but that's as far as you would ever go. You don't have to worry about forgetting your lines, talking in between songs to the audience, etc. So within your own strength, you can stick with karaoke, sing as you read along, and get a nice round of applause. But if you were called to sing in concert settings, you'd have to go on faith that God will enable you. So all that to say that yes, it was an act of faith for Abraham to take his son up the mountain because he still had to deal with the physical appearance of danger to his son.
Well, to me the whole point of the angel saying "Now I know you have not withheld from me your son, your only son," is that, well... Abraham was genuinely willing to offer Isaac up in sacrifice.

Anyway, it sounds like you see the Binding of Isaac as not so much a test of Abraham's obedience as a test of his trust (in God). I notice your interpretation lines up well with the fact that Abraham told his servants that both he and Isaac would return back down the mountain. I always saw two interpretations there: he was making the obvious move of not saying "Gotta go up and kill my son, bbl," or he knew he'd be coming back down with Isaac.

Not to pick favorites, but I think Hebrews 11:17-19 gels a bit better with it really being a test but Abraham still having faith that God wouldn't let him permanently lose Isaac. Of course, this would mean God did expect, and Abraham did intend, to "plunge the knife into him," as you put it. So this interpretation may be understandably unpalatable to many Christians.

In addition, there's even a possibility that the instruction didn't even come directly from God, as the Hebrew word for God in this text includes people in authority. Human sacrifice was common practice back then, and the instruction may have come from an authoritarian taken as a word/command from God. This was before an Israelite nation, so God was not yet perceived as the God of the Jews. Truthfully, I don't know if the command came directly from God, or authoritarians (and I'm comfortable either way), but imagine all the wasted hoopla over this subject if the command in this text came from perceived oracle's of God?
This is indeed interesting. To my knowledge, the text uses the two terms Elohim and Yahweh. Are you then referring to Elohim, which I know was sometimes used to refer to kings and profits (authorities)?
Yes.
This is where I would need to defer to experts about the correct translation. "Elohim" has a range of meanings in the Bible and it's for Hebrew translators to figure out which meaning is appropriate in the context.

I know you're comfortable either way, but would you like the story more if it wasn't God who asked Abraham to kill Isaac? How would that change your takeaway?

I admit the Old Testament God does often come across as mean-spirited to me, but this does not strike me as unusual for the period at all. The gods of this time were very often fierce, brutal, and warlike. We are talking about a tribal people living very close to the edge of survival, constantly subjected to violence and warfare with other tribes, totally at the mercy of pestilence and nature. What we go through always shapes what we believe. What else can we realistically expect? They wanted a strong, fierce god who rewarded blind loyalty, favored only them, and rained wrath and destruction upon their enemies. Much later Jews, the ones who became the early Christians, wanted a different sort of God (a much better one, imo - ahem) and wrote a very different testament (a much better one, imo - ahem).
Yes, but they weren't masochists. They wanted a god like all the other nations. It was common for nations to embrace a national god, and erecting a statue of their god. That was the appeal of the golden calf. That was supposed to be the equivalent of Dagon, Bael, etc. They didn't want a God that would hold them accountable for their lifestyle.

The OT might appear mean-spirited, but so does "Scared Straight", which has been proven quite effective. The OT places a lot of emphasis on the judgments of peoples. If the OT were a fictional novel, the author would have placed a lot of emphasis on the crimes that brought on the judgments. But because the bible contains testimonies, it throws people off who assume it's fiction because fictional writers focus on qualifying it's heroes with details, whereas people who give testimonies present simply bare facts. In a court of law, that's all the judge is interested in ("just the facts ma'am" - Joe Friday).
Aw, come on, Rod. You know Jesus's teachings were better, more effective, and more emotionally resonant than the unenlightened harshness found in the OT. His philosophy of love, compassion, understanding, nonviolence, and forgiveness was a tremendous course correction. He was, to be frank, the spiritual superior of the OT.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
Eh, the bish incident really turned me off the site for a while.
i still miss Bish.
+1

I wish he'd come back as a regular poster.

Didn't think you ever read the religion forum, btw.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous
I showed you from Scripture where God said that everyone is evil from childhood and the the punishment for evil is death

Nope.  You showed me a few psalms supposedly written by a man with something on his conscience i.e the outpourings of King David. This does not amount to evidence that god condemned all children to death for sin as much as you wish it to be so.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Castin
Great question - I'll try to answer this in your other thread about this topic, in the interests of keeping the discussion here on the subject of controversial biblical stories (and keeping my posts 1 mile long instead of 6 miles long).

I usually grab an energy drink before reading your posts.

Just kidding. Actually, I never thought your posts were particularly long.

Oh. No, I took it more like "This man is blessed and chosen of God. Beware."

I would say that's much closer than the idea of Elisha being the typical appearance obsessed male that commercials tend to target in these contemporary times.

I should probably add that I do think tearing dozens of kids apart via bear is a super harsh punishment even for just insulting God.
I think young adult males would be more accurate. The numbers suggest more of a mob which generally wouldn't involve children. And apparently it wasn't a random or coincidental meeting as the gang came from the city to meet Elisha. Generally whenever an act of judgment
occurs in the OT, there was a significant period of warning.

(Your words.)

As best as I can tell, in spite of any related disagreements. So, there may be a subject to change somewhere in there.

I didn't really read any clear mortal danger to Elisha in the text, personally.

It seems at least 42 youths were there, which is rather a lot - I know I would've been worried, if I wasn't a prophet who had God's protection. But they don't appear to do anything more than jeer - in the KJV "Go up, thou bald head!" and in the NIV "Get out of here, baldy!" It sounds to me like they were just trying to run Elisha off.

There's nothing in the passage that states Elisha's life was in danger. And I would say this is because the author and/or eyewitness only stated what they observed. And it may not have been necessary in that at that time period, people would understand the practices of prophet abuse. And Israel had a record of killing it's prophets. So they wouldn't be
out of character if they meant harm. It might be similar to us not needing to know why a burglar tried to break into a store, even if we're not given any specifics.

"Go up, thou bald head" probably (I think most scholars agree) was in reference to Elijah's departure from earth. I think they were just challenging him to do what Elijah did. Making the effort to go up to where Elisha was probably wouldn't have been if it was just to tell him to leave. But...it's possible. In my opinion, they meant him harm.

Out of curiosity, what level of spiritual authority do you ascribe to Paul's epistles?

Complete authority.

Due to the way I wrote it, and the way it came across, I wanted to make clear that I wasn't suggesting that Abraham was not planning on plunging the knife. I just simply meant that whether or not a ram would show up for the sacrifice, or Abraham had to plunge the knife requiring a resurrection, Abraham knew that Isaac had to live in order for the promise to take place.

Well, to me the whole point of the angel saying "Now I know you have not withheld from me your son, your only son," is that, well... Abraham was genuinely willing to offer Isaac up in sacrifice.

Anyway, it sounds like you see the Binding of Isaac as not so much a test of Abraham's obedience as a test of his trust (in God). I notice your interpretation lines up well with the fact that Abraham told his servants that both he and Isaac would return back down the mountain. I always saw two interpretations there: he was making the obvious move of not saying "Gotta go up and kill my son, bbl," or he knew he'd be coming back down with Isaac.

Not to pick favorites, but I think Hebrews 11:17-19 gels a bit better with it really being a test but Abraham still having faith that God wouldn't let him permanently lose Isaac. Of course, this would mean God did expect, and Abraham did intend, to "plunge the knife into him," as you put it. So this interpretation may be understandably unpalatable to many Christians.
I don't consider the unpalatable aspect of plunging the knife into his son as an issue because it's clear that God is against human sacrifice. At that time, human sacrificing was normal.

If this were a fiction, there wouldn't be any need to make any speculations on what went on in Abraham's mind. Because I believe the incident happened, I take the liberty of pondering what may have gone on in Abraham's mind. I think historians do that with famous figures when the only information we have are actions rather than thought. I would imagine his mind was racing. My personal opinion as a ponderer is that Abraham was hoping for an animal to show up as the sacrifice. But...the text doesn't of course confirm this.

This is where I would need to defer to experts about the correct translation. "Elohim" has a range of meanings in the Bible and it's for Hebrew translators to figure out which meaning is appropriate in the context.
But the (original?) Hebrew translators didn't tell us, so it's up to us, right?

If you're talking about contemporary translators, I don't think they know for sure. All they can do, like us, is give their opinion.

I know you're comfortable either way, but would you like the story more if it wasn't God who asked Abraham to kill Isaac? How would that change your takeaway?
Honestly, it wouldn't make any difference in that if "Elohim" were human authority figures, they would just be giving the same message that God would be allowing them to give for the same purpose.

Aw, come on, Rod. You know Jesus's teachings were better, more effective, and more emotionally resonant than the unenlightened harshness found in the OT. His philosophy of love, compassion, understanding, nonviolence, and forgiveness was a tremendous course correction. He was, to be frank, the spiritual superior of the OT.

Actually, Jesus was quite harsh at times. And the OT goes into quite a bit of detail about God's love. The only real difference is that the OT
records actual events of judgments that the NT generally submits in future prophetic format.

As I think I mentioned before, because the Bible is not fiction, we're forced to try and read it without dramatizing. The villains, so to speak in the OT (Egyptians, Amalekites, Philistines, etc.) have obtained sympathy by many contemporary readers. The villains in the NT, are primarily the religious authority (Pharisees, Sadducees). So Jesus obtains a certain amount of sympathy in the contemporary world because religious authority tend to be often vilified. Also, Jesus is referred to in most of the major religions in other
forms like enlightened teacher, prophet, etc. And Jesus has gained some pop-culture acceptance through movies and stage productions.

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
Nope.  You showed me a few psalms supposedly written by a man with something on his conscience i.e the outpourings of King David. This does not amount to evidence that god condemned all children to death for sin as much as you wish it to be so.
Did you miss my post where I quoted what God said in Genesis?
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
In case you didn't see it the first time...
What absolute claptrap. You need to learn how to read your bible.
I was going to ask you why what I said is claptrap, but, to your credit, you explained in a post to TradeSecret.
That's your job. You are claiming something I haven't claimed. Psalm 51 is traditionally claimed to have been composed by David as a confession to his god after he sinned with Bathsheba? 
 So this is Davids opinion and belief.
Yes and no. Yes, it is David's opinion and belief, but it is not just David's opinion and belief.

2 Peter 1:19 - 21
19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (emphasis mine).

The biblical writers were human, but, according to the Bible, God spoke through them. So while David wrote those words, they are God's words as well. But since you want it "from the Almighty Himself," I will oblige you. Let's start in Genesis 3.

Genesis 3:17-19
“Cursed is the ground because of you;
    through painful toil you will eat food from it
    all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
    and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
    you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
    since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
    and to dust you will return.”

While this is spoken directly to Adam, this curse applies to the whole human race. How do I know this? It's simple, really. I know this because everyone dies, not just Adam. Here's what the Bible says about this curse.

Romans 5:12-21
12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—
13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.
15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!
18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It's clear from this passage that the curse in Genesis 3 applies to everyone. Let's move on to another place where God Himself once again declares that everyone deserves death.

Genesis 6:11-13
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.

Notice who God is saying deserves death in this passage. "I am going to put an end to all people." That includes children. Here's what God says just after the flood.

Genesis 8:21
21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood."

Here you have it from the Lord Himself that everyone is evil from childhood. It would seem that that isn't just David's opinion after all. According to God Himself, everyone is evil. Everyone is under the curse of death.

Stephen
Stephen

Did you miss my post where I quoted what God said in Genesis? In case you didn't see it the first time...

you will eat your food
for dust you are

While this is spoken directly to Adam, this curse applies to the whole human race. How do I know this? It's simple, really. I know this because everyone dies, not just Adam.

Nope. I ignored it and told you to learn your bible or did you miss that? Here you are #38

You are either stupid or blind or you cannot understand the question.

How many times do I have to pose it?    'In case you didn't see it the first time or the second or the third '...

Where in the OT does god condemn all children to death for sin?   Your Genesis quote does not answer that simple question as much as you want it to.  You can keep trying to ram that square peg into a round hole but it is not evidence. 

There is nothing there about all mankind or all children for that matter.   Yes we all die.  whoopee do, clever you? Nature dictates who dies and when, it does not discriminate,  unless ones life is taken deliberately as the god of the OT had a habit of doing for no apparent reason.

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
I'm not talking about the post that #38 is responding to. I'm talking about post #43.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
Oh wait, maybe you're right and I am going blind. I assumed you hadn't read post 43 because you never responded to it, but  you quoted from post 82 in your last response to me, and post 82 quoted from post 43. Ok. Did you read to the end of post 82 (or 43) where I quoted this verse:

Genesis 8:21
21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood.

Did you read that part? If not, please do so before we go on so we're on the same page.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous

Genesis 8:21 The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood.  Did you read that part?

Yes I read it.  It appears that god cannot make up his mind. Either the  ground was cursed since Adam and still is,  yet  since Noah the ground is no more cursed since he smelled meat cooking. Which one is it.

Genesis 8: 20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and took some of every clean animal and some of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar. 21 And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth.

It is interesting that you chose the word "children" when  most bibles including the KJV use the word -  youth -  and not child or infant or baby. 

But either way and what ever the exact word used, this simply does not prove your claim that God himself condemned all children to death for sin.  You seem to be missing what it is that god is cursing and why he is cursing it. Like I have said here #38 learn to read your bible. 
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
Yes I read it.  It appears that god cannot make up his mind. Either the  ground was cursed since Adam and still is,  yet  since Noah the ground is no more cursed since he smelled meat cooking. Which one is it.
The first one. God didn't say that the ground is no more cursed; He said, "Never again will I curse the ground," which has a very different meaning. I won't say anything more on that topic because it is a red herring. I've been in forum debates where I foolishly jumped on a red herring. I learned that it's extremely difficult to make any progress when the topic keeps changing.
It is interesting that you chose the word "children" when  most bibles including the KJV use the word -  youth -  and not child or infant or baby.
That was negligence on my part. I only looked at what it said in the version I quoted it from. I'll be more careful in the future. However, I don't see how it makes much difference in this case.
But either way and what ever the exact word used, this simply does not prove your claim that God himself condemned all children to death for sin.
I agree. I never intended that verse to prove that on its own. However, it was not on its own.  It was one part of a longer argument. Let's go through it again.
What absolute claptrap. You need to learn how to read your bible.
I was going to ask you why what I said is claptrap, but, to your credit, you explained in a post to TradeSecret.
That's your job. You are claiming something I haven't claimed. Psalm 51 is traditionally claimed to have been composed by David as a confession to his god after he sinned with Bathsheba? 
 So this is Davids opinion and belief.
Yes and no. Yes, it is David's opinion and belief, but it is not just David's opinion and belief.

2 Peter 1:19 - 21
19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (emphasis mine).

The biblical writers were human, but, according to the Bible, God spoke through them. So while David wrote those words, they are God's words as well.
The point I'm making here is that Psalms 51 is God's word, so you can't simply dismiss it as David's opinion.

Let's return to Genesis 3.

you will eat your food
for dust you are

Notice the section in bold. Yes, God is cursing the ground here, but he is also cursing Adam himself. Now the question becomes whether this applies to everyone or just Adam. 

Romans 5:12-21
12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—
13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law. 14 Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.
15 But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!
18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It's clear from this passage that the curse God gave to Adam did apply to everyone, according to Scripture. "For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were made sinners." Yes, sin is inherited. We are sinful by nature according to the Bible. Now, I have provided evidence that the Bible is God's Word, not just the parts that quote God when he spoke directly. It is up to you to refute that. However, even if you do succeed in refuting that, you are still left with the problem that God did directly say it.

Genesis 8: 20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and took some of every clean animal and some of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar. 21 And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth."

Now, as you pointed out, this verse doesn't condemn children to death. In fact, it doesn't condemn anyone to anything. However, it does say, "the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth." Of course, you could try to twist the verse into referring only to adult humans, but the context makes this impossible. This verse is referring back to another verse before the flood (which I probably should have quoted in the first place. I never claimed to be a good debater, so give me a break) that says this:

Genesis 6:5-8
5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

"Every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time." Notice how there is no distinction here based on age. I did check other versions this time, and it was the same story. All of them condemned man or the human race as a whole. This passage also contains the punishment for evil. God saw that all of them were evil and condemned all of them to death. The only exception was Noah and his family. Why them? Because they were sinless? No. If you read on a few chapters, you can see for yourself that Noah and his family did sin. They were spared because they still serve God, which goes back to the redemption I talked about when I got carried away and started preaching to you.

So there you have it. God did condemn everyone to death because of sin, and you can see that both in what He said directly and what He said through the biblical writers. But you can also see the good news that God can save people from their sin.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous
Yes I read it.  It appears that god cannot make up his mind. Either the  ground was cursed since Adam and still is,  yet  since Noah the ground is no more cursed since he smelled meat cooking. Which one is it.
The first one. 

OK and how in your mind does this cursing of the ground show god condemning all children to death for sin. 

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Stephen
It doesn't. In fact, the curse on the ground is totally irrelevant here. The only reason I brought it up was because the curse on the ground is in the same passage as the curse on Adam.

Do you have any response to the rest of my post?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SirAnonymous

OK and how in your mind does this cursing of the ground show god condemning all children to death for sin. 

It doesn't. In fact, the curse on the ground is totally irrelevant here.

No it doesn't does it. But it hasn't stopped you repeating it  and presenting it as some kind of evidence that supports your original claim that god /Jesus condemned all children to death for sin.  Like I have said, you are just grasping for a answer and filibustering for the most part.