Ruth Bader Ginsburg had died

Author: Vader

Total: 192
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
His justification was Biden himself. Biden acknowledged that the process would be highly partisan probably because the Senate and Presidency were in the opposite hands.

February 23, 2016: “I can now confidently say the view shared by virtually everybody in my conference, is that the nomination should be made by the president the people elect in the election that’s underway right now,” McConnell told reporters following Senate Republicans’ first closed-door meeting after Scalia’s death. “I believe the overwhelming view of the Republican Conference in the Senate is that this nomination should not be filled, this vacancy should not be filled by this lame duck president…The American people are perfectly capable of having their say on this issue, so let’s give them a voice. Let’s let the American people decide. The Senate will appropriately revisit the matter when it considers the qualifications of the nominee the next president nominates, whoever that might be.”

March 16, 2016: “The Senate will continue to observe the ‘Biden rule’ so that the American people have a voice in this momentous decision on who to name to the court,” McConnell said in a floor speech the day Obama nominated Garland.

Garland is not a moderate. He rules liberally on everything there and is a judicial activist.
What are the characteristics of a moderate then and why does Garland not fulfill these characteristics?

If you’re going to vote for Joe you gotta listen to what he says right? Your problem here is that you’re salty RBG didn’t retire under Obama and now her seat is going to be filled by a conservative. I have no doubt Democrats would fill it if the vacancy occurred during a Democratic President. The historical precedence lies with the GOP. Go read SirAnonymous’ post.
To be clear, the point I made is the invoking the Biden rule in defence of Mitch's hypocritical actions is pretextual. None of what you've said appears to have addressed this.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@dustryder
What are the characteristics of a moderate then and why does Garland not fulfill these characteristics?
I can’t help you if you think Merrick Garland is a moderate. 

To be clear, the point I made is the invoking the Biden rule in defence of Mitch's hypocritical actions is pretextual. None of what you've said appears to have addressed this.
It’s pretty clear - the people gave the GOP the Senate and the Presidency through legitimate processes. 

When Joe Biden and the Democrats have a problem is when a Republican is in the picture. The people didn’t give Democrats the mandate prior to 2016 because they didn’t control the Senate. By contrast GOP has both. Historically, GOP should confirm the nominee.

Democrats are as much of hypocrites as Mitch McConnell and the Democrats. Deal with it.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
In the end there are no "moral justifications" for political actions.

The Democrat party took a gamble with Obamacare and lost the Senate. 
Democrats are just as hypocritical as Mitch McConnell - it pretty much offsets
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Even CNN is reporting that the seat will be filled before January.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5

People ask me sometimes, when — when do you think it will it be enough? When will there be enough women on the court?

"And my answer is when there are nine."

RBG
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Even CNN is reporting that the seat will be filled before January.
At that point ram down the most conservative person they can find if Trump loses and Senate flips
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
“There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

-Ruth Bader Ginsberg July 10 , 2016. New York Times
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Death23
Mitch's stance is clearly hypocritical, but it's not like anybody really believed him the first time. It's just so out in the open now, but when it comes to SCOTUS nominations the reputation damage is probably a small price to pay for the power of a life-long SCOTUS seat.
Yep.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
“There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.” 

-Ruth Bader Ginsberg July 10 , 2016. New York Times
Who do you want as her replacement?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Amy is fine.

Pretty much anyone the Heritage Foundation and Federalist Society says is qualified.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Amy is fine.

Pretty much anyone the Heritage Foundation and Federalist Society says is qualified.
Ya I prefer her. The only possible Grey area from her could be immigration 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5

Please do not drink milk while watching this.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
I can’t help you if you think Merrick Garland is a moderate. 
Merrick Garland being a moderate is a view expressed by many versed in legalese and is hence my conclusion. If you think this is not the case, perhaps you should explain why instead of making a very obvious and predictable dodge.

It’s pretty clear - the people gave the GOP the Senate and the Presidency through legitimate processes. 
When Joe Biden and the Democrats have a problem is when a Republican is in the picture. The people didn’t give Democrats the mandate prior to 2016 because they didn’t control the Senate. By contrast GOP has both. Historically, GOP should confirm the nominee.

No one is arguing that the GOP doesn't have the power. But again, this is not the point.

Democrats are as much of hypocrites as Mitch McConnell and the Democrats. Deal with it.
This has nothing to do with whether or not the Democrats are also hypocrites so still not the point?

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
The one thing Mitch is good at is getting judges on the bench. Even if there’s one week left, he’ll do it for sure. It’ll be easier during a lame duck session even if Trump loses

If so, and Biden wins both House and Senate, he will just add another two seats to SCOTUS and have another liberal majority for another few decades. Yay.......
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Merrick Garland being a moderate is a view expressed by many

Heritage foundation disagrees.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
The Democrats will claim appointing a new judge before January is immoral. That is only because they can't turn around and do the same. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@dustryder
Merrick Garland being a moderate is a view expressed by many versed in legalese and is hence my conclusion. If you think this is not the case, perhaps you should explain why instead of making a very obvious and predictable dodge.
Funny how academia is disproportionately liberal huh?

No one is arguing that the GOP doesn't have the power. But again, this is not the point.
Glad we agree then. Trump and nominate and Senate should vote. Period.

This has nothing to do with whether or not the Democrats are also hypocrites so still not the point?
Your dodging says it all - glad we agree that they’re hypocrites as well
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
If so, and Biden wins both House and Senate, he will just add another two seats to SCOTUS and have another liberal majority for another few decades. Yay.......
Courts could theoretically rule it unconstitutional and Congress could do nothing about it
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
How? It is more conservative than liberal to me.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Originalist judges are probably the most moderate because the Constitution is designed to be fair
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Intelligence_06
How? It is more conservative than liberal to me.
Post grads are one of the most liberal constituencies. All you need to do is go to a college in and you’ll see what I mean.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
did you read the article? moderating the law causes uncertainty and civil unrest.

People need to know for sure that the government is going to protect them.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
did you read the article? moderating the law causes uncertainty and civil unrest.

People need to know for sure that the government is going to protect them.
Ya I did - moderate is according to the far left academia standards
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
Can you explain? I am not old enough to be in any college.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Intelligence_06
Can you explain? I am not old enough to be in any college.
90% of professors are liberal. Polling historically shows post grads are very liberal
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
Their reasonings are certainly more convincing than the hot air you put out.

Glad we agree then. Trump and nominate and Senate should vote. Period.
Not really. Can and should are somewhat different. This congress has the power certainly but from a consistency standpoint, I think the precedent set by Mitch in 2016 should be followed.

Your dodging says it all - glad we agree that they’re hypocrites as well
Absolutely, to some extent. And hardly because of anything you've said. But again, not the point. 

The original point was that using the Biden rule is pretextual and that Mitch is a hypocrite.

Do you see how calling the Democrats hypocrites and asserting that the republicans have the power to seat a judge have nothing to do with this point?

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
For example?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@dustryder
Their reasonings are certainly more convincing than the hot air you put out.
Yup, them and their media accomplices. We’re just all deplorables right?

Not really. Can and should are somewhat different. This congress has the power certainly but from a consistency standpoint, I think the precedent set by Mitch in 2016 should be followed.
This is laughable. You and I both know that Democrats would not hesitate to put a judge on the bench.

The original point was that using the Biden rule is pretextual and that Mitch is a hypocrite.

Do you see how calling the Democrats hypocrites and asserting that the republicans have the power to seat a judge have nothing to do with this point?

Even if Mitch is a hypocrite, so is Chuck Schumer. What’s your point?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Intelligence_06
For example?
Wym lol