Ruth Bader Ginsburg had died

Author: Vader

Total: 192
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Intelligence_06

Langbert and Stevens look at voter registration and candidate contributions for a sample of more than 12,000 profs from several of the top schools in each state. The upshot? “48.4 percent are registered Democrats and 5.7 percent are registered Republicans, a ratio of 8.5:1.” Registration ratios ranged from 3:1 in economics departments to 42:1 in anthropology, and tended to be worse at higher-ranked schools. In terms of donations, 2,081 profs gave exclusively to Democrats and only 22 gave exclusively to Republicans, an incredible 95:1 ratio, though the actual dollar amounts were skewed “only” 21:1.

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Intelligence_06
An even more in-depth look, that paints a pretty bleak picture for the future of intellectual discussion:
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
Yup, them and their media accomplices. We’re just all deplorables right?
You apparently have a brain, so theoretically you should be able to critically analyse news pieces and literature. Perhaps try it instead of whining at me.
This is laughable. You and I both know that Democrats would not hesitate to put a judge on the bench.
Sorry I should've been more clear. I think people in general should follow standards they themselves set. If Mitch has set the standard of Biden's rule, then he should be bound by it. Others shouldn't necessarily also be dragged into following it, and in this case with the Democrats that's probably ok. They were willing to go with a compromise pick. The same probably cannot be said with the republicans.

Even if Mitch is a hypocrite, so is Chuck Schumer. What’s your point?
That your original point is wrong. He is not just "following the Biden rule". He's doing his own thing within the bounds of the law that best benefits his party. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@dustryder
You apparently have a brain, so theoretically you should be able to critically analyse news pieces and literature. Perhaps try it instead of whining at me.
I have. It’s horseshit and biased. I literally have a professor who taught feminist classes who’s being accused of sexual assault.

Sorry I should've been more clear. I think people in general should follow standards they themselves set. If Mitch has set the standard of Biden's rule, then he should be bound by it. Others shouldn't necessarily also be dragged into following it, and in this case with the Democrats that's probably ok. They were willing to go with a compromise pick. The same probably cannot be said with the republicans.
How many times are you gonna say Garland is a moderate. He’s not. If Mitch isn’t following the rule - Democrats didn’t either. If you’re saying one is the hypocrite, the other is the hypocrite too.

That your original point is wrong. He is not just "following the Biden rule". He's doing his own thing within the bounds of the law that best benefits his party.
By invoking the Biden? Sure. Schumer is doing the same thing.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
It's pointless to argue with the left.

If the people want judges, then they vote for a president and a senate that will work with the president.

Like they did in 2014 and 2016,

Nothing more to discuss. It's the will of the people of America in action. The world doesn't revolve around the left. It revolves around elections

Which have

Consequences.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
If the people want judges, then they vote for a president and a senate that will work with the president.

Like they did in 2014 and 2016,

Nothing more to discuss. It's the will of the people of America in action. The world doesn't revolve around the left. It revolves around elections

Which have

Consequences.
Amen
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
I have. It’s horseshit and biased. I literally have a professor who taught feminist classes who’s being accused of sexual assault.
Perhaps demonstrate so. At the moment all I see you posting uninformed opinions that you can't justify and you whining about biased academia. Which is great when circle jerking with other republicans, but it's useless in every other case.

How many times are you gonna say Garland is a moderate. He’s not.
Until it's shown otherwise?

If Mitch isn’t following the rule - Democrats didn’t either. If you’re saying one is the hypocrite, the other is the hypocrite too.
How have democrats been failing to follow the rule, when they haven't had the chance ever since the precedent was first made?

By invoking the Biden? Sure. Schumer is doing the same thing.
No, by justifying his actions by claiming the American people should have a say, and then ignoring his own justifications when it becomes convenient. Do you have an example where Schumer has done this?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
No, by justifying his actions by claiming the American people should have a say,

They  spoke in 2014 and 2016 and 2018.

You just don't like what they said. Get over it.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@dustryder
Perhaps demonstrate so. At the moment all I see you posting uninformed opinions that you can't justify and you whining about biased academia. Which is great when circle jerking with other republicans, but it's useless in every other case.
I think MisterChris did that if you want to look into polling information. You accuse us of being in conservative circle jerk. Maybe you want to check out academia that’s literally a circle jerk and a groupthink cesspool.

Until it's shown otherwise?
Seems like GP did that for you. I also mentioned how he was anti-gun and pro-regulation. Not to mention fond of the EPA and IRS hegemony.

How have democrats been failing to follow the rule, when they haven't had the chance ever since the precedent was first made?
They flipped back in 2016. They flipped again now. Both sides did. They’re both hypocrites. You defending the actions of Democrats it’s peculiar.

No, by justifying his actions by claiming the American people should have a say, and then ignoring his own justifications when it becomes convenient. Do you have an example where Schumer has done this?
American people did get a say - in 2014, 2016, and 2018 when the GOP won and kept the Senate, followed by in 2016 when the GOP won the presidency. 

Schumer on one hand wants his party’s nominee to be appointed even when his party wasn’t in power in the Senate. It directly is against the will of the people who have the GOP one of the largest gains in the Senate. He has flip flopped on the issue too, whether you like it or not, just because it’s politically convenient. If Mitch is a hypocrite, so is Chuck.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Maybe you want to check out academia that’s literally a circle jerk and a groupthink cesspool.

It's the very definition of today's cancel culture academia.

I literally was forced to pretend to be a mouth breathing leftist to score Dean's Honor Roll every year while earning my degree. And that was back when cancel culture was just in its infancy.

Just look at what that ACLU guy did to Sandman, cancelling him before he even started his first class.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
It's the very definition of today's cancel culture academia.

I literally was forced to pretend to be a mouth breathing leftist to score Dean's Honor Roll every year while earning my degree. And that was back when cancel culture was just in its infancy.
College campuses are left wing cesspools too. The stuff they teach is complete and total bs
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
It's the will of the people of America in action.
The people voted for Hillary, and the Senate is even more undemocratic. This is not the will of the people. This is the will of the people being frustrated by American shitocracy.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
California doesn't get to alone choose the presidency for the other 49 states.

Maybe if 3 million Californians moved into swing states instead of snubbing them as deplorable states, you wouldn't have to look at Trump's ugly face on TV.
Clearly circle-jerking 3 million more votes than needed to win Califonia's electorate vote isn't a winning strategy. Getting the supermajority popular vote in circle-jerk states is still fun to watch though.

They probs in Canada now though hur Durr. 

Death23
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
Who said anything about California?
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
FDR tried it, until he had a bunch of backlash. Hopefully it could be blocked somehow, but if they had big enough majorities, I'm sure it could be done within the constitution. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Death23
The people voted for Hillary, and the Senate is even more undemocratic. This is not the will of the people. This is the will of the people being frustrated by American shitocracy.
Ever heard of the Connecticut Compromise?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
FDR tried it, until he had a bunch of backlash. Hopefully it could be blocked somehow, but if they had big enough majorities, I'm sure it could be done within the constitution. 
It would be very interesting - especially with Joe Manchin
Death23
Death23
-->
@ILikePie5
The will of the dead people in action. That's what's really going on here.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Death23
The will of the dead people in action. That's what's really going on here.
The will of arguably the smartest group of people in the world.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Many countries tried to Fight Marxism and failed.

The bones of economically devastated countries litter South America with their unquenchable vitriol for private property rights.
Death23
Death23
-->
@ILikePie5
It may have been a good idea at the time, but times have changed. Populations and communities have shifted across state borders, and people don't really identify with their states as much as they did back then, except maybe Texans seem to have a Texas thing going on. Something kindof annoying is that it's very difficult to change the constitution comparatively. (more reading: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2014/05/amending-the-constitution-is-much-too-hard-blame-the-founders.html ) Oh well, what can ya do though.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Death23
It may have been a good idea at the time, but times have changed. Populations and communities have shifted across state borders, and people don't really identify with their states as much as they did back then, except maybe Texans seem to have a Texas thing going on. Something kindof annoying is that it's very difficult to change the constitution comparatively. (more reading: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2014/05/amending-the-constitution-is-much-too-hard-blame-the-founders.html ) Oh well, what can ya do though.
That’s precisely why they’re geniuses. Everything is malleable and the Constitution was designed to allow the malleability while keeping the core rules in place
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
The will of arguably the smartest group of people in the world.

In 1763, immigrants to the North American colonies had more secure property rights than a native-born Venezuelan does in the 21st century.
Property rights in the US were “constituted, secure, and out of reach of oppression from the most powerful,” wrote a group of German immigrants even before America’s independence.

The concept of property rights runs in the blood of North America, fueling its market system, and helping the country to prosper. While the importance of having well-defined and strongly protected property rights is now widely recognized among policymakers, Latin America lags behind on securing the property of its people.

Property rights are the laws that allow individuals to manage, benefit from, and transfer property. Government enforcement of strong property rights is generally linked with more prosperous and developed countries.

As the 2015 International Property Rights Index shows, the five best performing countries have an average GDP per capita of US $72,000, whereas the five worst performing countries have an extremely low average of $3,900. The Latin America and the Caribbean region ranks just ahead of Africa, and countries with ongoing-armed conflicts like Nigeria or Chad have better protection of land rights than Argentina, Haiti, and Venezuela. Countries that flourish economically understand the difference between prosperity and poverty: property.

In Latin America, Venezuela and Argentina stand out for the consistent and institutional undermining of property rights.
Venezuela, where inflation levels reached 720 percent this year according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), is ranked second to last on the protection of property rights in the region. In fact, more than 1,200 private companies were expropriated during Hugo Chavez’ administration from 1999 to 2013.

Similarly, Argentina has a poor track record of respecting property rights. In 2012 Repsol, a Spanish oil group, underwent the traumatic experience of seeing its subsidiary unit in Argentina nationalized by then President Cristina Kirchner.

The expropriation of private property is the perfect recipe to frighten off investors. With few exceptions like Colombia and Peru, Latin America has seen major capital flows trying to reach other, more investor-friendly regions.

On the other hand, Peru’s success in reforming and improving its property rights has helped to transform the country into one of the best-performing economies in the region.
In the 1980s, the Institute for Liberty and Democracy helped to move Peru’s street vendors, transport drivers, poor farmers in remote areas of the Andes, and millions of other participants in Peru’s huge informal sector into the legalized economy.

Policy reforms like simplifying administrative processes, improving access to public information, unifying business registries, and democratizing rule-making have helped make Peru the second highest ranked country in Latin American and the Caribbean.

Hernando de Soto, ILD’s founder, affirmed that they have received more than 44 requests from reform-minded governments from all over the world seeking to learn from Peru’s positive experience on protecting property rights.

Peru’s policy reform, in fact, put Peru ahead of countries like Canada, the UK, and Japan on the Registering Property Indicator of the 2016 Doing Business report.
Latin America, however, is still torn ideologically between defenders of free markets and those who still favor over-regulation. But some governments are seeking to strengthen property rights.

Brazil, which has generally demonstrated strong growth in the last decade, has room for improvement. The idea that rights serve a social function was first introduced into Brazilian legal culture in the early 20th century. Thus, Brazilian law punishes owners if their property does not serve its “social function,” thereby weakening the importance and value of private property.

Owners, for instance, are obligated to make their property productive, according to the state’s criteria, that is. In Brazil, state intervention clearly has a negative impact on the economy, and the lack of legal security frequently scares investors away.

As Venezuela’s economic crisis worsens, the newly elected National Assembly (dominated by the opposition) introduced a bill in February that grants property deeds to more than 593,000 holding owners — and now full owners — who benefited from one of the most popular policies of Hugo Chavez’s government: Misión Vivienda, a government program that gave houses (but not deeds) to poor Venezuelans.

The new objective is to democratize existing property, and provide house owners with access to the market by giving them, for example, the legal instruments to use their property as collateral for a bank credit and start a business.

Since 2012, Latin America has experienced low growth averages: about 2-2.5 percent of GDP compared to a robust 5 percent during the previous decade. This slowdown has been caused by decreasing commodity prices, a lingering Chinese economy, and fewer investments.

Policymakers must now consider sustainable approaches for sustainable and inclusive economic growth. All countries in the region have an opportunity to learn from successful examples of property rights reform, as seen in Peru, to jumpstart development progress and drive investment back to the continent.

The recognition of the inherent and inalienable right to own property is stated in the Article 17 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). The foundation of freedom, justice, and peace in the world relies on important institutions such as that of private property.

Prosperity and property rights are inextricably linked, and development actors worldwide increasingly accept this fact.

If governments across Latin America want to see their people lifting themselves out of poverty, respect for and formal recognition of private property is a crucial step in the right direction.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
I think MisterChris did that if you want to look into polling information.
Chris admirably showed that university faculty are overwhelmingly liberal. That's not a surprise nor is it something I care about.

You accuse us of being in conservative circle jerk.
It's not really an accusation and it's more by definition at this point. Look at how many times you've @'d at GP just to cackle together over hysterical conservative talking points just in this one thread.

Maybe you want to check out academia that’s literally a circle jerk and a groupthink cesspool.
And why do you think academia is a groupthink cesspool?

Seems like GP did that for you.
Stating that a conservative think tank thinks he's not moderate is rather vacuous. Perhaps something more specific?

I also mentioned how he was anti-gun and pro-regulation. Not to mention fond of the EPA and IRS hegemony.
This really doesn't mean much right? Conservatives may vote on the side of liberal policies and vise versa. Garland is noted for having judicial restraint which is more characteristic of conservative judges. So again I ask, what is a definitive sign of a more moderate judge and why are you definitively stating that Garland is not one?

American people did get a say - in 2014, 2016, and 2018 when the GOP won and kept the Senate, followed by in 2016 when the GOP won the presidency. 
We must be on different wavelengths or something. The context is the people should get a say on presidential election years.

They flipped back in 2016. They flipped again now. Both sides did. They’re both hypocrites. You defending the actions of Democrats it’s peculiar.
The Biden rule wasn't a rule until Mitch made the precedent.

Schumer on one hand wants his party’s nominee to be appointed even when his party wasn’t in power in the Senate. It directly is against the will of the people who have the GOP one of the largest gains in the Senate. He has flip flopped on the issue too, whether you like it or not, just because it’s politically convenient. If Mitch is a hypocrite, so is Chuck.
I think I can let this one slide, given that it stems entirely from Mitch's hypocrisy.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@dustryder
Chris admirably showed that university faculty are overwhelmingly liberal. That's not a surprise nor is it something I care about.
Makes sense, they all agree with you so it must be ok huh.

It's not really an accusation and it's more by definition at this point. Look at how many times you've @'d at GP just to cackle together over hysterical conservative talking points just in this one thread.
You mad that you don’t have a buddy? I’ve literally just responded to GP. How does that make it a circle jerk?

And why do you think academia is a groupthink cesspool?
Cause there is no room for opposite though. Why do you think the ration of liberals to conservatives is like 10:1. You clearly haven’t been on a college campus if you think this way. It’s hypocrisy left and right. I mentioned the professor I had right?

Stating that a conservative think tank thinks he's not moderate is rather vacuous. Perhaps something more specific?
That’s not what I was talking about. Did you read the article where constitutionalist judges like Scalia and Thomas voiced opinions that they necessarily didn’t agree with but ruled against their personal opinion anyways? That seems more moderate than Garland to me. I challenge you to name one case that displays how he’s a “moderate.”

This really doesn't mean much right? Conservatives may vote on the side of liberal policies and vise versa. Garland is noted for having judicial restraint which is more characteristic of conservative judges. So again I ask, what is a definitive sign of a more moderate judge and why are you definitively stating that Garland is not one?
And pray tell where Garland has broken from his liberal colleagues on the court system? I can bake you various instances where conservatives have. Garland is not an originalist because by definition originalist is moderate. They’re bounded by the Constitution whether they like it or not.

We must be on different wavelengths or something. The context is the people should get a say on presidential election years.
Sure if the party of the Senate is different from that of the President. Then a Presidential election in concurrence with Sebatorial elections can decide the will of the people. That process already happened in 2016 and 2018. The will of the people is in the White House and Senate.

The Biden rule wasn't a rule until Mitch made the precedent.
Biden came up with the idea. By logic he should agree with it, but he didn’t. So tell me again how Mitch McConnell started this when the idea was proposed by Joseph R. Biden himself. And let’s get one thing straight. If a vacancy did occur, as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee he wouldn’t have agreed to a vote.

I think I can let this one slide, given that it stems entirely from Mitch's hypocrisy.
To the contrary. The first action of hypocrisy was started by the Democrats when they disagreed with their own Vice President at that time in 2016.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@ILikePie5
Makes sense, they all agree with you so it must be ok huh.
It's not a question about being ok or not ok. There's just nothing inherently wrong about university faculty being overwhelmingly liberal

You mad that you don’t have a buddy? I’ve literally just responded to GP. How does that make it a circle jerk?
Your conversations can be summed to be "Lol liberals". "Yes, Lol liberals".

That’s not what I was talking about. Did you read the article where constitutionalist judges like Scalia and Thomas voiced opinions that they necessarily didn’t agree with but ruled against their personal opinion anyways? That seems more moderate than Garland to me. I challenge you to name one case that displays how he’s a “moderate.”
And pray tell where Garland has broken from his liberal colleagues on the court system? I can bake you various instances where conservatives have. Garland is not an originalist because by definition originalist is moderate. They’re bounded by the Constitution whether they like it or not.
Sure. Garland is noted to be moderate-conservative in criminal law and has oftened dissented with the more liberal judges of the DC circuit. You may read more and find specific cases here: https://www.scotusblog.com/2010/04/the-potential-nomination-of-merrick-garland/

Sure if the party of the Senate is different from that of the President. Then a Presidential election in concurrence with Sebatorial elections can decide the will of the people. That process already happened in 2016 and 2018. The will of the people is in the White House and Senate.
No, that is not in the context of the Biden rule. Again, that is a bit of pretext used to justify this chicanery. 

Biden came up with the idea. By logic he should agree with it, but he didn’t. So tell me again how Mitch McConnell started this when the idea was proposed by Joseph R. Biden himself. And let’s get one thing straight. If a vacancy did occur, as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee he wouldn’t have agreed to a vote.
It was never actually codified or acted upon? It's one thing to suggest bombing a school as a hypothetical. It's quite another to actually bomb a school.

To the contrary. The first action of hypocrisy was started by the Democrats when they disagreed with their own Vice President at that time in 2016.
That wouldn't be hypocrisy. That would be disagreement.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Sure. Garland is noted to be moderate-conservative in criminal law and has oftened dissented with the more liberal judges of the DC circuit. You may read more and find specific cases here: https://www.scotusblog.com/2010/04/the-potential-nomination-of-merrick-garland/

A "moderate" judge isn't what the people voted for in 2014-2016 and 2018.

thett3
thett3
Mitch is going to pull out all of the stops for this. He will make it clear that any Republican who votes no is done as a senator. They will lose all of their committee assignments. If they are currently in a race, he will cut off all funding. If they are not, he will fund primary challenges in the next election.  

The President has the authority to make an nomination, and the senate has the authority to confirm or reject that nomination. The only thing unusual about 2016 was that McConnell refused to even hold a vote, because the outcome was already certain. While it’s true that the arguments both sides used were and are transparently disingenuous, “screw you, I have the votes” was always the honest and correct argument. 

President Trump won in 2016. Voters kept the Republican senate majority in 2016 and expanded it in 2018. They need to confirm this justice. To not do so will be the greatest political betrayal of my lifetime. If they don’t, I probably won’t vote ever again and I don’t think I’m alone in that. 
thett3
thett3
-->
@ILikePie5
It’s not a flimsy pretext if that’s what he actually said. It is by no means hypocritical. The rule was created by Biden and Mitch just using it. A side effect is that he’s serving his party’s best interest. Historically same party in Senate and Presidency have nominated people 
I mean that’s basically just a fancy version of “screw you, I have the votes” lol. Which is a perfectly justified and entirely correct argument. President Trump is entirely correct, there is a consequence to winning and losing elections. If Democrats had held onto the senate in the 2014 midterms Obama’s appointment would’ve gone through, and it would’ve been entirely justified that it go through. 

And before any Dems start complaining about how the small states make it impossible for democrats to win the senate (having never heard of Vermont, Delaware, Maine, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or Hawaii)...there was a democratic senate majority for years and there will be one again, most likely as soon as January 2021. All arguments to the contrary are just excuses to rig the system to ensure that instead of having a fair playing field that Dems cannot lose again, by adding deep blue “states” such as DC and packing the court every time they suffer the consequences of losing an election. 
thett3
thett3
Unrelated but it’s funny to see Dems constantly complain about how republicans rack up the numbers in the small states and lose the big ones badly. In reality, President Trump won 7 out of the 10 most populous states and Clinton won 5 out of the 10 least populous states. There are 10 republican senators from the top 10 most populous states and 10 democratic ones. There are 10 republican senators from the least populous states, and 8 democratic ones (plus two independents who caucus with Dems)

This talking point is entirely derived due to the fact that Dems are angry that their gigantic margins in California don’t result in a permanent senate majority (they never seem to complain about 87% of California’s house members being democrats despite republicans making up ~40% of the state). As recently as 2004 Texas was far more republican than California was Democratic. Things change, states change, people change. You need to play the game, not try to change the rules every time there’s a chance you lose.