Arrowverse Mafia Endgame

Author: Speedrace

Total: 134
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
People quibbling over irrelevant word choice as if that's the crux of the issue. IT WAS A RULE CREATED TO SPITE A PLAYER IN THE GAME.

This is 1000% unacceptable behavior for a mod and the reaction I would expect from the player base would be, at the very least, boycotting a mod that did such a thing, unapologetically and doesn't really seem to care that they engaged in such behavior.

Why the fuck are people completely ignoring this point and instead quibbling about fucking grammar?!
drafterman
drafterman
So, yeah. Like I said. I am not going to play in a mafia community where this is even remotely acceptable and doesn't seem to bother anyone in the slightest.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@drafterman
I would expect from the player base would be, at the very least, boycotting a mod that did such a thing, unapologetically and doesn't really seem to care that they engaged in such behavior.
Now that's where you're wrong. The correct reaction would be "hey, you did something that's wrong, fix it."

You seem to be ignoring the fact that you completely failed to share your feelings until after the fact. I would've been more than happy to repeal the rule had you talked to me. You chose not to
drafterman
drafterman
Ah, the George Costanza defense. "Was that wrong?"

I feel it is a given that creating rules to spite players is not acceptable behavior for a mod. I don't think it's something a mod should be told not to do.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@drafterman
lol whether it's a given or not is irrelevant. Your reaction shouldn't instantly be BOYCOTTTTTTTT
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
I do.
If there is a reason for the rule than it's not arbitrary...

The issue isn't whether or not "not blocking people" should be a rule in mafia. The issue is whether mods, in the middle of the game (in the middle of a day phase, no less) should create rules directed at the behavior of a single person out of spite. If it was like that from the beginning of the game, I wouldn't have blocked you in the first place. If he decided to make it a rule in between phases for whatever reasons, well I can't say how I would have reacted. But it is still wholly different to having a disagreement with a mod, and the mod going, "fine, if you don't like it I'm making a new rule" that just happens to target something you've done in the game.
I don't think it was done just to spite you. And I agree it would have been better to state this at the beginning of the game, but I don't think you can fault speed for not specifying this as a rule, because I don't think this has ever happened in a mafia game before. I usually don't highlight rules that I don't forsee becoming an issue either, it's more likely he didn't assume this would even happen, because it's a little crazy that it did happen...

Point, is the general take away is that this is just a joke to be laughed off. And I am not Okay with that.
No one is laughing it off from what I can tell. I think people are genuinely dis-appointed that things went this way, myself included.

As far as you and me...

Yes, you've said a thousand times you have no ill will. It's not about your will, it about how, for whatever reason, how you argue ticks me off. Whether it just happens to be that way or whether you do it intentionally, I realize is immaterial. Point is, engaging with you was hurting my game play. So rather than continue to be tempted to engage with you, I decided to block you as a deliberate strategy to try and rebuild credibility in the game.

Fair enough, but I think if you were up front about this from the get go people would be understanding of it. I mean blocking someone seems pretty serious, so it stands to reason that I said something that had personally offended you pretty badly.

As far as your comment in the mod discord, I can't see that as anything else but an intentional zing at me. After all, why go there? 
It wasn't a zing. It was an "okay, I understand now, I am being ignored". What do you mean "Why go there"? You blocked me, I should have been asking "why go there"?

You already had existing lines of communication with the mod via your role PM and the mafia discord PM to ask questions. Yet you deliberately chose to use the discord you knew I was in, despite being quite on the record that you didn't like using the mod discord. You basically went out of your way to ask it there, rather than in your existing line of communications. Nor did you simple take it and leave it once you actually got the answer to your question, you had to make a directed comment about me. However petty or mild anyone judges this, it was still unnecessary and about a game in progress. It's not acceptable no matter which way you cut it.
I didn't choose the mod discord to call you out or make a fool out of you or whatever it is you think. I asked in that discord because there is more mods than speed, and I wanted a quick answer. I actually didn't even remember you were in the discord at the time. Also I don't dislike the mod discord, nor do I ever think I said that. My previous qualms you are referring to was having the discussion about RM's ban in the discord as opposed to the public forum, since most of the community seemed to be in the discord anyway. 

You don't have to believe me, but this wasn't a conspiracy to draw a reaction out of you. I do like and respect you as a player and a person, and I am sorry that the way we clashed in that game made you want to block me. While I won't apologize for what I said, because I don't think I said anything objectively bad, I do respect boundaries in the same way someone doesn't want to talk about a subject that offends them or brings up painful memories. If I knew in advance that hashing an argument out with you like that would invoke that reaction I would have not signed up for the game.

So, yeah. Like I said. I am not going to play in a mafia community where this is even remotely acceptable and doesn't seem to bother anyone in the slightest.
It's a pity you feel that way, but it's your decision. If you don't want to be apart of the community that's one thing, but removing the role list seems kind of like you are trying to punish us for a dis-agreement. Why do that?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Speedrace
I don't see why not. I certainly don't want to play with a mod that creates spite rules against players. And I didn't think it was unreasonable to expect that no one else would want to play with such a mod either.

But the response (or lack thereof) just shows me that my expectations are clearly out of whack. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't want to be a part of a community that accepts this behavior for a mod, or otherwise needs to be argued into rejecting it.

Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@drafterman
If you don't wanna play then that's your choice

Lunatic
Lunatic
People quibbling over irrelevant word choice as if that's the crux of the issue. IT WAS A RULE CREATED TO SPITE A PLAYER IN THE GAME.

This is 1000% unacceptable behavior for a mod and the reaction I would expect from the player base would be, at the very least, boycotting a mod that did such a thing, unapologetically and doesn't really seem to care that they engaged in such behavior.

Why the fuck are people completely ignoring this point and instead quibbling about fucking grammar?!

Assuming you were objectively right here, and the mod did do something that was unnacceptable, I think you are over reacting to the way it should be handled. I don't boycott mods for doing something wrong, though I think in the heat of the moment I may have threatened to do so in the past. Supas south park game for example I reacted that way, yet I've played in two supa games since then. Mharman also messed up bad in a game on DDO. I actually still don't sign up for his games, but I don't think he should be boycotted. Mafia isn't that serious. Well multi-accounting for mafia I do  take offense to, but that is so rare it doesn't matter.

We dis-agree about what constitutes as game talk, but even then you yourself are only saying I should be "reminded" so I think you agree that rules in mafia shouldn't be enforced with an iron fist. Why is speed an exception?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Lunatic

The issue isn't whether or not "not blocking people" should be a rule in mafia. The issue is whether mods, in the middle of the game (in the middle of a day phase, no less) should create rules directed at the behavior of a single person out of spite. If it was like that from the beginning of the game, I wouldn't have blocked you in the first place. If he decided to make it a rule in between phases for whatever reasons, well I can't say how I would have reacted. But it is still wholly different to having a disagreement with a mod, and the mod going, "fine, if you don't like it I'm making a new rule" that just happens to target something you've done in the game.
I don't think it was done just to spite you.
He's all but admitted it:

And I agree it would have been better to state this at the beginning of the game, but I don't think you can fault speed for not specifying this as a rule, because I don't think this has ever happened in a mafia game before. I usually don't highlight rules that I don't forsee becoming an issue either, it's more likely he didn't assume this would even happen, because it's a little crazy that it did happen...
I can and I do fault him. If only because there is no reason for it to be a rule and also because he explicitly did it in response to me arguing with him.

As far as you and me...

Yes, you've said a thousand times you have no ill will. It's not about your will, it about how, for whatever reason, how you argue ticks me off. Whether it just happens to be that way or whether you do it intentionally, I realize is immaterial. Point is, engaging with you was hurting my game play. So rather than continue to be tempted to engage with you, I decided to block you as a deliberate strategy to try and rebuild credibility in the game.

Fair enough, but I think if you were up front about this from the get go people would be understanding of it. I mean blocking someone seems pretty serious, so it stands to reason that I said something that had personally offended you pretty badly.
In the middle of the game that would have been counter productive and it got superceded by Speed's actions. Again, I just want to emphasize that Speed's is the greater offense here.

It's a pity you feel that way, but it's your decision. If you don't want to be apart of the community that's one thing, but removing the role list seems kind of like you are trying to punish us for a dis-agreement. Why do that?
Because I'm not going to support a community that doesn't support me. First, the only person that actually seemed to give a shit was MisterChris who contacted me to see how I was doing. Second, the only person to actually see that the Speed created spite rules and speak out against it (without having to be argued to do so) is oro. I am truly shocked and disheartened that nobody sees this for the objectionable behavior that I see it as.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Lunatic
Assuming you were objectively right here, and the mod did do something that was unnacceptable, I think you are over reacting to the way it should be handled. I don't boycott mods for doing something wrong, though I think in the heat of the moment I may have threatened to do so in the past.
At least that's something. That's a reaction.

Supas south park game for example I reacted that way, yet I've played in two supa games since then. Mharman also messed up bad in a game on DDO. I actually still don't sign up for his games, but I don't think he should be boycotted. Mafia isn't that serious. Well multi-accounting for mafia I do  take offense to, but that is so rare it doesn't matter.

We dis-agree about what constitutes as game talk, but even then you yourself are only saying I should be "reminded" so I think you agree that rules in mafia shouldn't be enforced with an iron fist. Why is speed an exception?
Because offenses of different levels of severity should be responded to with proportionate levels of reaction?
Lunatic
Lunatic
Omw to work brb in like 40 minutes
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@drafterman
Sir objects now that I've explicitly made this a sticking point, but given a chance to respond initially, he was more concerned about grammar.
The grammar thing was a joke. The reason I didn't react until you made the rule a sticking point was because I didn't expect you to make a sticking point out of it. Based off what I know, Speed probably shouldn't have done that. However, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. You could have protested the rule immediately and talked through it with Speed. I think you know that he's not a bad or unreasonable person. He would have listened to you. You could have worked it out. Instead, you chose to delete your role list, threaten to leave the site, and throw around overgeneralized accusations about how people aren't supporting you. Sure, Speed probably messed up. He's human. It happens. One mistake isn't enough cause for everyone to boycott his games; it's cause for him to improve how he mods games and be more careful rather than reacting in the heat of the moment. Your accusations that people aren't supporting you because they aren't making a big stink about it are honestly ludicrous. I'm not trying to be mean or belittle your concerns. I get that you think you were treated unfairly and are mad. That's ok. But you are seriously overreacting here. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it either.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@drafterman
To be clarify my previous post, I think you're right that Speed was wrong to do that. I just disagree with your reaction to it.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Speedrace

Speed, when you say "fair enough" I take it you agree that a mod shouldn't make a rule to spite another player, but you are saying you didn't do that correct? I think drafterman mis-interpreted this post, but I want to hear it from the horses mouth.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@SirAnonymous
The grammar thing was a joke. The reason I didn't react until you made the rule a sticking point was because I didn't expect you to make a sticking point out of it.
Yes, I am acutely aware of the disconnect between how I perceive this situation and how others perceive it.

Based off what I know, Speed probably shouldn't have done that. However, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. You could have protested the rule immediately and talked through it with Speed. I think you know that he's not a bad or unreasonable person. He would have listened to you. You could have worked it out. Instead, you chose to delete your role list, threaten to leave the site, and throw around overgeneralized accusations about how people aren't supporting you.
Usually, when someone is the target of a wrongful act the focus on the person who committed the wrongful act in telling them what they should have done differently.

Sure, Speed probably messed up. He's human. It happens. One mistake isn't enough cause for everyone to boycott his games; it's cause for him to improve how he mods games and be more careful rather than reacting in the heat of the moment.
And yet he hasn't given any indication that he thinks he's done anything wrong that needs improvement.

Your accusations that people aren't supporting you because they aren't making a big stink about it are honestly ludicrous. I'm not trying to be mean or belittle your concerns. I get that you think you were treated unfairly and are mad. That's ok. But you are seriously overreacting here. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it either.
I understand that, and I am disappointed that my views on the situation are apparently the outlier. I wish it were otherwise, but it is what it is. I wish I didn't have to convince people that this was a wrongful act or argue with people that this is something that should be reacted to and resisted. But if this treatment is what is considered acceptable in Mafia games around here (and no one is saying it isn't) then I don't want to play those Mafia games.

To be clarify my previous post, I think you're right that Speed was wrong to do that. I just disagree with your reaction to it.
It'd be really nice if someone told that to him.
Lunatic
Lunatic
Sorry had an incident at work right as I got here, I am responding now.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Lunatic
That's sure a nice soft ball to lob him there. But even if Speed comes in response to that and takes the bait and explicitly says it wasn't done in spite, there just is no other reasonable interpretation of the rule given the conversation we were having.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@drafterman
He's all but admitted it:
I'll wait for speed to answer here, but I think what he was saying with "fair enough" was "Yeah I agree that rules shouldn't be made to spite players" but I think he is dis-agreeing that he actually did that.

I can and I do fault him. If only because there is no reason for it to be a rule and also because he explicitly did it in response to me arguing with him.
There was an issue that you created in the game where to players couldn't interact with each other. This isn't something that commonly occurs, and was a rule adjusted on the fly. You didn't like that rule and left. No one can force you to play if you don't want to, but I don't think his intention was to spite you or to "get one up on you" or anything like that, it was so that we can move forward with the game. Mods have made up rules on the fly in the past, it's not unreasonable they would have to do that when a new issue occurs that hasn't happened in the past.

In the middle of the game that would have been counter productive and it got superceded by Speed's actions. Again, I just want to emphasize that Speed's is the greater offense here.
Why would it have been counter productive? I actually think you being up front with that would have avoided the whole issue. In fact if you would have just told me that you would block me if I continued to say stuff that pissed you off, I would have respected that and requested out myself. 

Because I'm not going to support a community that doesn't support me. First, the only person that actually seemed to give a shit was MisterChris who contacted me to see how I was doing. Second, the only person to actually see that the Speed created spite rules and speak out against it (without having to be argued to do so) is oro. I am truly shocked and disheartened that nobody sees this for the objectionable behavior that I see it as.
You are acting as if the issue doesn't have two debatable sides here, and I think that's a little silly. You aren't objectively right about this, and your mad that not everyone messaged to you and catered to your belief? I can understand being frustrated about people not seeing eye to eye on you with this, but to insinuate that people don't give a sh1t about you because of this is really just wrong. You are very loved and respected in the community regardless if people agree with you on every topic or not. 

I can use my recent interaction with the mods as an example here: I was pretty vocal about thinking the mods were wrong in regards to their decision about banning rationalmadman, someone who I don't even neccesarily like. I argued with them for a few days about it until ultimately they stopped responding and told me they were gonna do what they wanted to do regardless. My first impulse wasn't to say fvck everyone in the community then, I am leaving. I acknowledge that we don't see eye to eye on the issue but I ultimately was happy that they even listened to my appeal and talked to me about it. At the end of they day I know they are trying their best and it's impossible for them to get it right all the time. I don't think that they don't give a sh1t about me because they don't agree with me on this.

Same with you. I guarantee you that if you messaged most of the mafia community and asked you what they thought of you, they would have nothing but good things to say about you. Hell, I think it's safe to say that mafia wouldn't even exist on this website without your efforts to revive it, same with your noob game initiative on DDO. You've done more for the mafia community than anyone else, so why abandon all of that because a few people dis-agree with you on one thing? Also one 9 player game isn't the "whole mafia community". There's probably a lot of poeple who don't even know what happened, but are also being punished by you with you removing your guide and list that was a commonly used resource for both new and old players.

I doubt you care what I have to say, but I hope you take this advice with a grain of salt, if not now, maybe after calming down and reflecting: I really think you should re-consider leaving over this incident. You are well liked and respected here and have done great things for the community. If one person is making the game un fun for you, I am willing to take a break for a few games to let you play without worry of my "bickering ways" as oro calls them. I don't want to ruin your good time because of this. At the end of the day this doesn't have to be that serious unless we make it a serious thing. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@drafterman
That's sure a nice soft ball to lob him there. But even if Speed comes in response to that and takes the bait and explicitly says it wasn't done in spite, there just is no other reasonable interpretation of the rule given the conversation we were having.
This is an "everyone's out to get me" victim mentality. I am geuniely asking him, and if he admits that he was trying to spite you then I agree that it's messed up. I think you just mis-understood what he wrote, but I could be wrong, and I will cede if I am on this point.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@drafterman
At least that's something. That's a reaction.
You've got your reaction, you yourself said misterchris reached out to you for support. He is a good guy. People are asking you to stay on the site even as we discuss this. This is all proof that you are liked and cared about here. Everyone doesn't have to agree with you on a decisive issue for you to be respected though.

Because offenses of different levels of severity should be responded to with proportionate levels of reaction?
A boycott is pretty extreme level of reaction, that even the worse mods don't get. Mharman literally rage threw a game because he was pissed, and even he still doesn't get boycotted.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Speedrace
So what’s the controversy? I’m too lazy to read
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@drafterman
Usually, when someone is the target of a wrongful act the focus on the person who committed the wrongful act in telling them what they should have done differently.
Point taken.
And yet he hasn't given any indication that he thinks he's done anything wrong that needs improvement.
Ok.
I wish I didn't have to convince people that this was a wrongful act or argue with people that this is something that should be reacted to and resisted.
I agree that it was wrong and that it should be reacted to. I just disagree with your reaction.
But if this treatment is what is considered acceptable in Mafia games around here (and no one is saying it isn't) 
Yes, it was wrong. At the same time, a certain level of mistakes are tolerable. If Speed makes a habit of making rules in the middle of games, then it will definitely be a bigger issue. However, that hasn't happened yet and I don't see him making a habit out of it.
then I don't want to play those Mafia games.
While the rest of us would appreciate it if you keep playing, that's up to you.
It'd be really nice if someone told that to him.
You're right, and I probably should have done that earlier. I was so relieved at winning that I didn't think about it.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@ILikePie5
LOL, drafter blocked Lunatic during a game, Luna asked what blocking was in the mod chat and then made a remark about drafter blocking him, drafter PMd me and said to give Luna a warning and said he wanted to be replaced if I didn't, I then made the rule that blocking people in games isn't allowed, drafter quit, and here we are
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Lunatic
Speed, when you say "fair enough" I take it you agree that a mod shouldn't make a rule to spite another player, but you are saying you didn't do that correct? I think drafterman mis-interpreted this post, but I want to hear it from the horses mouth.
It was partly in spite, yes. I had been thinking of making the rule beforehand but decided to during the convo with drafter
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@ILikePie5
Drafter blocked Lunatic during the game. Speed made a rule banning blocking players in the game and replaced drafter.
Lunatic
Lunatic
Okay I cede on the issue regarding speed trying to spite drafter then. As a mod I think personal issue with a player should be external to how you mod a game.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Speedrace
It was partly in spite, yes. I had been thinking of making the rule beforehand but decided to during the convo with drafter
I would say that acting in spite was a mistake.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Lunatic
@drafterman
 I can understand being frustrated about people not seeing eye to eye on you with this, but to insinuate that people don't give a sh1t about you because of this is really just wrong. You are very loved and respected in the community regardless if people agree with you on every topic or not. 

I can use my recent interaction with the mods as an example here: I was pretty vocal about thinking the mods were wrong in regards to their decision about banning rationalmadman, someone who I don't even neccesarily like. I argued with them for a few days about it until ultimately they stopped responding and told me they were gonna do what they wanted to do regardless. My first impulse wasn't to say fvck everyone in the community then, I am leaving. I acknowledge that we don't see eye to eye on the issue but I ultimately was happy that they even listened to my appeal and talked to me about it. At the end of they day I know they are trying their best and it's impossible for them to get it right all the time. I don't think that they don't give a sh1t about me because they don't agree with me on this.

Same with you. I guarantee you that if you messaged most of the mafia community and asked you what they thought of you, they would have nothing but good things to say about you. Hell, I think it's safe to say that mafia wouldn't even exist on this website without your efforts to revive it, same with your noob game initiative on DDO. You've done more for the mafia community than anyone else, so why abandon all of that because a few people dis-agree with you on one thing?
100% agree with this. Assigning malice and quitting is a poor solution.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Lunatic
There was an issue that you created in the game where to players couldn't interact with each other. This isn't something that commonly occurs, and was a rule adjusted on the fly. You didn't like that rule and left. No one can force you to play if you don't want to, but I don't think his intention was to spite you or to "get one up on you" or anything like that, it was so that we can move forward with the game. Mods have made up rules on the fly in the past, it's not unreasonable they would have to do that when a new issue occurs that hasn't happened in the past.
First, the only thing stopping us from interacting was my voluntary choice to not respond to your posts. The blocking was simply a mechanism to assist me in that.

Why would it have been counter productive? I actually think you being up front with that would have avoided the whole issue. In fact if you would have just told me that you would block me if I continued to say stuff that pissed you off, I would have respected that and requested out myself. 
It was my responding to you that was serving by my undoing. So the solution is quite obviously to stop responding to you, not "respond to you more." Besides, usually when someone openly says, "Oh, this thing I'm doing is making me look scum, so I guess I'll stop doing it" is something of a scum tell.

You are acting as if the issue doesn't have two debatable sides here, and I think that's a little silly. You aren't objectively right about this, and your mad that not everyone messaged to you and catered to your belief? I can understand being frustrated about people not seeing eye to eye on you with this, but to insinuate that people don't give a sh1t about you because of this is really just wrong. You are very loved and respected in the community regardless if people agree with you on every topic or not. 
Yes, this pretty much hits the nail on the head. I don't think this issue is debatable. I do think I'm objectively right. And I am mad that the lack of people that are on that same page and see eye to eye with me on this.

Same with you. I guarantee you that if you messaged most of the mafia community and asked you what they thought of you, they would have nothing but good things to say about you. Hell, I think it's safe to say that mafia wouldn't even exist on this website without your efforts to revive it, same with your noob game initiative on DDO. You've done more for the mafia community than anyone else, so why abandon all of that because a few people dis-agree with you on one thing? Also one 9 player game isn't the "whole mafia community". There's probably a lot of poeple who don't even know what happened, but are also being punished by you with you removing your guide and list that was a commonly used resource for both new and old players.
And yet a mod creates a spite rule against me and there is pretty much crickets. I mean, actions speak louder than words. And yeah, I've seen that you've decided to give Speed the benefit of the doubt and refuse to believe that he created the rule to spite me, that's your prerogative. And it seems like Speed has this benefit of the doubt from everyone else that has bothered to weigh in. I'm pretty much the only one here defending my side of things while Speed gets overtly leading questions to give him an easy out of the situation.

I doubt you care what I have to say, but I hope you take this advice with a grain of salt, if not now, maybe after calming down and reflecting: I really think you should re-consider leaving over this incident. You are well liked and respected here and have done great things for the community. If one person is making the game un fun for you, I am willing to take a break for a few games to let you play without worry of my "bickering ways" as oro calls them. I don't want to ruin your good time because of this. At the end of the day this doesn't have to be that serious unless we make it a serious thing. 
If I didn't care what you had to say I wouldn't be responding to you, nor would I have unblocked you. Whatever happened in the game happened in the game.

A boycott is pretty extreme level of reaction, that even the worse mods don't get. Mharman literally rage threw a game because he was pissed, and even he still doesn't get boycotted.
Ok, fair, yes that is an extreme level of reaction. But for all this stuff about how I'm respected here, I feel like I'm standing here alone. The conversations are between everyone and me. I'm the one having to justify my position, my stance. I have to prove it and quibble over word choice. This is the perception I have with me on one side of the line and mostly everyone else on the other with Speed, with a few people straddling. So I feel like I have to compensate by going to the extreme because I feel that this is a lopsided conversation.