Technology Mafia - Endgame

Author: Bullish

Total: 85
Bullish
Debates: 0
Bullish
Town wins!

Town

MisterChris: Chromebook - very weak and cheap computers,often running on hardware worse than a phone. Schools buy these en masse fortheir students because it's all they can afford. Chromebooks typically run onChromeOS, a flavor of Linux; most "apps" on a Chromebook are run throughthe browser - you are vanilla.

Oromagi: Deep learning - deep learning is a subfield ofmachine learning, which is a subfield of artificial intelligence (AI). DeepBlue is famous for using deep learning to beat the best human Chess player in1997. Today deep learning is most commonly used in fields such as computervision. Deep learning works by "training" the computer with correctresults, then using a complex pipeline of linear algebra to find patterns. TheCAPTCHAs you do online are fodder for deep learning machines. After at least 2town and 1 scum have flipped, you become cop.

Lunatic: The Cloud - the cloud is essentially someone else'scomputer that you access over the internet. Amazon's AWS is by far the world'sbiggest cloud provider. Advantages of the cloud include flexibility and easyload balancing - therefore you are the JOAT: you have 1x tracker, 1x doc, 1x bodyguard. (enabled by the Internet)

Speedrace: The Internet - the internet is the foundation ofthe Information Age. This significance of the internet in the 21st centurycannot be understated - You are the enabler - you being alive enables a numberof roles; once you die, the players with those roles will be vanillarized. Theinternet is by its nature distributed and thus immune to a single point offailure; for this reason you are 1x BP.

ILikePie5: Photolithography - photolithography is theprocess of etching patterns onto a substrate by shining light at it. Modernprocessors are made with this process. The most advanced processors have billionsof transistors and minimum feature sizes as small as 5nm. Photolithography isthe most advanced human technology ever developed; and it's still advancing. Moore'sLaw is an observational law about photolithography advancement: roughly every 2years, the number of transistors in a given area doubles - because of Moore'sLaw, you are the even phase motivator - on even days, you may target someone,and they may use their role at night twice, if they have a role. This won'tdouble the NK.

Warren42 (replacing That1User): Samsung smart fridge - afridge with "smart" capabilities. In reality, most "smart"devices these days are just useless gimmicks that are unreliable, hard to use,and open up your device to vulnerabilities - you are vanilla townie.

Danielle: Bing - Everyone uses google, but Microsoft madethis piece of shit search engine known as Bing. You are the shitty rolecop -you may rolecop someone, but your results may not be accurate or useful. (pick5 random words from the PM, Bing it, paste the preview message from the 5th result)

BearMan: Cryptography - public key cryptography was inventedin the 1970's. Before public key cryptography, there was only symmetric keycryptography; that is, all parties had to know a key that no one else knew tocommunicate securely. Public key cryptography uses what is known as "one-wayfunctions", so that only one party needs to know the key to securelycommunicate with all other parties. RSA is one of the first and most commonlyused public key functions. You are the neighborizer - each night you may visita player, and that player will gain access to the neighborhood PM; when you diethe PM will be closed. You are NOT a mason or a cult. (enabled by the Internet)

Mafia

Fake claims hint: the technologies in this game tend to beelectronic related, and tend to be invented in the last 50 years. The field oftechnology is vast, you are unlikely to be CC'd on a fake character claim. Ifyou think of a technology as a fake claim, I can give you my opinion on thetechnology. 20 years ago, people couldn't even imagine the tech we have today;you are encouraged to come up with unconventional custom fake role claims.

skittlez09: Directed-energy weapon - a staple of si-fi is laserweapons, which is a subclass of the more technical term "directed-energyweapon (DEW)". Most DEWs are electrically powered and shoot invisibleradiation. DEWs include microwave weapons that can heat you up from the insideand induce nausea. The Active Denial System (ADS) is a "non-lethal"DEW developed by the US military that works at short-medium range - you are non-consecutiveAoE roleblocker: on any night you may choose to roleblock 2 players who must beadjacent to each other on the player list; after you use your ability you mustrecharge for 1 night before using it again.

Intelligence_06: Deepfake - the technology to make somethingappear as anything you want is near -- although we can still tell thedifference between real and fake with our eyes, deepfaking is getting betterevery day - you are the deepfaker - each night, you may make any player appearas anything you want, including their role, affiliation, and actions; yourtarget is not informed and their actual actions are not disrupted. This countsas a visit.

SupaDudz: Planned obsolesce - many major companies design theirproducts to fail right after the warranty expires so they can force you to buya new one. Ironically improvements in materials technology as enabledmanufacturers to make their products worse - you are suicide scum: on NP3, youautomatically die. Each time you are protected, you live one additional NP.

Actions

DP1:
no lynch

NP1:
Danielle rolecop Supa
Lunatic track Danielle to Supa
Bearman neighborize oro
skittle waive
Intel deepfake skittle "You are a virtual private network - they protectyour privacy by connecting you to the VPN provider, who then interfaces with anintranet or the internet for you. This is widely used by corporation to providesecure database for company employees without fear of other companies internettracking your usage. you are roleblocker, each night you may choose toroleblock one person of your choosing"
Supa NK Danielle

DP2:
lynch warren
pie motivate Bear

NP2:
Bear neighborize Chris and Pie
skittle waive
Intel deepfake Bear "Amazon recuiter"
Supa NK Speed

DP3:
lynch intel

NP3:
Bear waive
skittle RB Bear and Pie
Supa NK oro
Supa commits suicide

DP4:
lynch Speed

NP4:
skittle NK pie

DP5:
lynch skittle

Commentary

First let me comment on the suicide role. This role was meant to balance 3 scum in an 11 player game. Suicide on NP3/NP4/NP5 depending on actions took away a town slot, forces town to waste a DP to lynch someone who was going to die anyway, and allowed scum to potentially pull off an perfect win if all lynches were mislynches. This role could be good or bad to play depending on your mentality. You could say dying isn't fun; or, you could say that since you'll die anyway, this allows you to pull gambits with 0 risk.

DP1 had pretty low activity, which happens from time to time. I'm glad activity picked up on DP2 though.

Pie needs to get those silly mafia definitions and conventions out of his head before he gets mad again. The MafiaScum wiki is IMO the most authoritative database on definitions related to forum mafia on the internet. My modding practices come from there. Any game where a majority of the players have a role is by definition rolemad. This game had only 2 vanillas, there's no way this game can be defined as not rolemad. The wiki also guides that players are not informed of being roleblocked unless they would otherwise get a result. No one in this game had the same 2 actions, but that doesn't mean they can't. Pie was right in the end that one of the claimed JOATs was scum, but I have made a game with 2 JOATs for a live mafia game before. There's no literature out there, certainly not on MafiaScum, that no 2 town roles can be the same.

Lunatic was given a warning for excessive insults, and I stand by that. First of all, it's not even censorship, I didn't even remove the comment. Nobody likes an asshole in game, you will be warned and kicked if you engage in actions that turn other players off. Second, Lunatic is being a massive hypocrite for complaining about "censorship." In his discord server he asked people to not talk about politics so we could keep mafia players, which caused YYW to leave on at least 1 occasion. It is way more justifiable to warn players for insulting each other than to ban political talk when we're not even playing the game. And he wants to talk about censorship with me? I wouldn't have modkilled him either, but Lunatic decided to throw a tantrum by threatening to break the rules out of spite (being a hypocrite again), and talking about the game in RM's thread; outside game talk is a big no-no, I would have modkilled him for that alone. On top of that he failed to submit a night action, which made him not fulfill the activity requirement. He was modkilled for these 4 reasons combined.

The neighborhood chat was very productive. BearMan targetted the right players.

IDK what Supa was doing DP3, he could have just hammered himself, or asked intel or skittle to hammer him, and we  would have went into DP4 4 town vs 2 scum. There was a solid chance Speed would have been lynched instead of intel or skittle -- and it did turn out to be the case that Speed was lynched before skittle was. So in a way Supa threw the game for scum. Supa did the right thing by gambitting repeatedly, which paid off and confused town. But he choked at the end there.
Bullish
Bullish
-->
@Lunatic
@ILikePie5
@oromagi
@Speedrace
@MisterChris
eee
Bullish
Bullish
-->
@Danielle
@warren42
@That1User
@BearMan
nnn
Bullish
Bullish
-->
@Vader
@skittlez09
@Intelligence_06
ddd
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Bullish
NP2 we deepfaked BearMan not Speed
Bullish
Bullish
The theme split is obvious. Deepfake and Planned obsolesce were the obvious outliers, idk how town didn't comment on that.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
Good game!
Bullish
Bullish
-->
@Vader
fixed.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Bullish
The MafiaScum wiki is IMO the most authoritative database on definitions related to forum mafia on the internet. My modding practices come from there. Any game where a majority of the players have a role is by definition rolemad. 
Good to know. And we have differing definitions. Mine and Speed’s games are rolemadness where everyone has a role. 

No one in this game had the same 2 actions, but that doesn't mean they can't.
Clearly after Speed’s game

Pie was right in the end that one of the claimed JOATs was scum, but I have made a game with 2 JOATs for a live mafia game before.
I was on Supa more so cause he hid his results and hadn’t been answering questions properly.

There's no literature out there, certainly not on MafiaScum, that no 2 town roles can be the same.
Rip CCs
Vader
Vader
In conclusion I think I made a couple of crucial mistakes in this game. The first is targeting Speed. I was actually planning to target Pie in NP2 but I thought he would force the hammer on someone liked Speed or oromagi. Having Lunatic alive was key to the plan, and sadly that didn't work out. Was pretty annoyed the modkill happened.  Idk what other outside gametalk there was, but I don't think he was being too excessive IMO. Lunatic living was key. He was essential to keeping us alive because his reads were not on us and were on other players as scum. The other mistake was doing an NK in NP4. I should have suggested the waive and was considering to go through. I should've done that

The DP3 was to be so unorthodox, bratty, and shitty, that it would force town to lynch me versus another person. That ultimately didn't work. I'll take responsibility because I commanded most of the actions in the mafia chat to happen

I will stand by BearMan's vote from early on as lazy. You have no way of confirming MisterChris as town. He could be totally BS'ing you. You talked in private, great. But that leaves someone else at a disadvantage. Even still, if you are decided, you should had more hours to make a move and argue. I think early voting in NP4 unless you have conclusive evidence that one person is scum is bad. This evidence was not conclusive at all
Vader
Vader
-->
@skittlez09
I wouldn't claim early again from now on. I know we talked about this in chat, but isn't beneficial to town unless you are a Miller, PGO, etc.

You did a fine job. I think you could've held your own DP5 if given the time. In future, maybe a bit more activity
Vader
Vader
Well maybe if you're Vanilla that'd be alright, but still
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@Bullish
Lunatic was given a warning for excessive insults, and I stand by that.

Excessive? I was literally warned about just one lol. Also what about supadudz? I don't think he should have been threatened for mod kill either, but he said much worse than I did lmao.

First of all, it's not even censorship, I didn't even remove the comment.

You cannot remove comments without moderator abilities lol

Nobody likes an asshole in game, you will be warned and kicked if you engage in actions that turn other players off.
Who said they were "turned off"? Also you didn't mention that in any rule prior to the game starting.

Second, Lunatic is being a massive hypocrite for complaining about "censorship." In his discord server he asked people to not talk about politics so we could keep mafia players, which caused YYW to leave on at least 1 occasion. It is way more justifiable to warn players for insulting each other than to ban political talk when we're not even playing the game.

This is actually a bold faced lie.  Here's a screenshot of what was actually said: https://i.imgur.com/41sqs4e.png

First of all Mikal who was the one who even brought it up. But what he said was that he was going to avoid talking about it, not that no one could talk about it.
The reason was because LikeMagic was really heart broken about the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and we were told that she didn't want to get into any talk about her prior to the game starting. When YYW joined the first thing he mentioned was RBG's death, and it resulted in a brief argument that resulted in us losing a mafia player for the whole night. I don't give a crap what people's political opinion are, but ultimately we get together every friday for mafia, and if people are going to leave mafia over political differences, I'd rather it just wait until after mafia. That said if people would rather debate politics they are allowed to, just means we will probably go play games or something else if we aren't going to get the numbers for mafia.

None of this is censorship though. No one will actually get banned from the discord because of their politics, the way you modkilled me in your game. Feel free to pull an actual qoute of our discord taking mod actions on anyone because of political reasons. In fact, ironically, most of the talk in the DDO chat currently is related to politics lol.

And he wants to talk about censorship with me? I wouldn't have modkilled him either, but Lunatic decided to throw a tantrum by threatening to break the rules out of spite (being a hypocrite again), and talking about the game in RM's thread; outside game talk is a big no-no, I would have modkilled him for that alone.
I didn't throw a tantrum. I wanted the ban because even accidentally, I will break that bull crap rule. I am not going to monitor what I say because the word "Cunt nugget" hurts your feelings.

Ironically bearman wasn't even all that offended by it lol. We moved on from it, got a lynch, and you still decided to dis-respect me in the night phase by bringing it up. So yeah, I won't be playing in anymore bullish games as long as your a "snowflake" (using your own words here, how do you like it?) about player conflict lol.

On top of that he failed to submit a night action, which made him not fulfill the activity requirement. He was modkilled for these 4 reasons combined.
Why would I submit a night action when you told me I would be getting mod killed? You never responded to me, so it was clear I was getting mod killed, there was literally no point in submitting the action at that point.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Bullish
The theme split is obvious. Deepfake and Planned obsolesce were the obvious outliers, idk how town didn't comment on that.
I TOLD THEM THAT PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE IS NOT A TECHNOLOGICAL CONCEPT

In all seriousness though I called that
Vader
Vader
-->
@Speedrace
It's still not enough to draw a conclusive theme split with only 1 concept. And I still think it's a technological concept 
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Vader
It's not but ok
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Vader
It's still not enough to draw a conclusive theme split
Clearly it was since it was correct
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Speedrace
But deepfake is, so that can't be the theme split. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Speedrace
Tell me what the theme split was then. There was only 1 concept in this game. You're gonna premise a lynch and draw conclusions because of one role? Lol
Vader
Vader
I disagree with the modkill 100%. I am allowed on this website to call someone a fucking idiot if I believe they are being an idiot. 
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Bullish
Lunatic was given a warning for excessive insults, and I stand by that. First of all, it's not even censorship, I didn't even remove the comment. Nobody likes an asshole in game, you will be warned and kicked if you engage in actions that turn other players off. Second, Lunatic is being a massive hypocrite for complaining about "censorship." In his discord server he asked people to not talk about politics so we could keep mafia players, which caused YYW to leave on at least 1 occasion. It is way more justifiable to warn players for insulting each other than to ban political talk when we're not even playing the game. And he wants to talk about censorship with me? I wouldn't have modkilled him either, but Lunatic decided to throw a tantrum by threatening to break the rules out of spite (being a hypocrite again), and talking about the game in RM's thread; outside game talk is a big no-no, I would have modkilled him for that alone. On top of that he failed to submit a night action, which made him not fulfill the activity requirement. He was modkilled for these 4 reasons combined.
You're exaggerating the Discord situation. You set no activity requirement at all. You didn't even put respect all players as a rule in DP1 or the signups. And what he said in RMs thread had nothing to do with actual game content and you know that. The modkill was not warranted

And typically things like cussing people out are handled by site mods, not game mods
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Vader
I disagree with the modkill 100%. I am allowed on this website to call someone a fucking idiot if I believe they are being an idiot. 
It was a pride issue for Bullish that's all. He doesn't want to admit that he created a ridiculous rule, so he is going to instead double down. The mod kill was really just a way to call my bluff and say "fvck you" to me lol.

Oh well. Tells me and others a lot about who bullish is as a person.
Vader
Vader
If anything I should've been modkilled cuz I admit I was being excessive lol. I didn't think Lunatic was being obsessive.

Also BearMan is the one who conceded a mafia game because his scum buddy got lynched. It's a fair criticism to make
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Bullish
But deepfake is, so that can't be the theme split. 
Bullish never actually told us the theme split too
Vader
Vader
-->
@Lunatic
There needs to be a definition of excessive. I don't have a problem with excessive harassment if there is a proper definition of it. If yours was excessive and mine wasn't, then idk what is
Vader
Vader
-->
@Speedrace
So what evidence do you have that my role is scummy when there is no other role as well
Lunatic
Lunatic
Though honestly I think the mod kill helped town win. My reads were wayyy off. Also supa was basing his JOAT claim off of my doc to save him, so me dying ultimately got him to admit he lied about being JOAT. I would have dropped my town read on him if he claimed he wasn't a JOAT, but he wouldn't have done that if I would have lived. My death was way beneficial to town.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Bullish
What was the theme split and which roles depended on me?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Vader
There needs to be a definition of excessive. I don't have a problem with excessive harassment if there is a proper definition of it. If yours was excessive and mine wasn't, then idk what is
Excessive had nothing to do with it lol. I literally just hurt bullish's feelings by denying wrong doing so he punished me for it.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Lunatic
 I would have dropped my town read on him if he claimed he wasn't a JOAT, but he wouldn't have done that if I would have lived
+10000