-->
@sadolite
No source then. Just baseless nonsense.

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Death23
Yes, 24 trillion dollars of baseless nonsense.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
Yes, 24 trillion dollars of baseless nonsense.
you were asked for a source for your claims. You have now responded multiple times but still not provided a single source. This typically means you either made up your claims or your source is very weak. Either provide a source for the figures you keep spouting, or people will just assume you are a liar. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
If you are at all interested in the debt this country has accumulated you would do your own home work. Your goal is to dismiss the sources, not discuss the topic. Or you cant discuss it because you don't understand it and need me to provide the information so you can make a coherent educated response. Its one of the two.  No one talks about things in line by line sentence by sentence. in the real world. They form a thought or idea and present it in a manner that encompasses the whole thought and idea. Picking shit apart line by line doesn't work in the real world because that way of thinking  puts everything out of  context. One sentence cant stand alone in a idea or concept that requires all of the sentences to compliment one another in order to put it into proper context. I see this  a lot and it is truly fucking boring. Because the people that do it are just using the other persons original thought or idea and never putting forth an alternative. This line by line crap serves only one purpose and that is to discredit, not engage in the exchange of ideas. Be honest with yourself you don't care about the financial state of this country, you want me to post sources so you can go thru them line by line in an attempt to discredit them by taking them out of context. You have no original thoughts on the subject. I don't need sources from you, I already know what I am talking about. I can discredit anything you say that isn't correct without looking it up. I can do it with my own original thoughts and words. Just so ya know, the internet is a terrible source for factual accurate information.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
If you are at all interested in the debt this country has accumulated you would do your own home work. Your goal is to dismiss the sources, not discuss the topic. Or you cant discuss it because you don't understand it and need me to provide the information so you can make a coherent educated response.
You made a claim. When asked for your source you didn't respond. When asked again, you went on a weird rant about how you shouldn't have to provide a source. Do you not see how weak that looks?

you are obviously just making stuff up if you can't provide a source for your claims. Why should anyone engage with you if you are just going to make stuff up and then cry about it when someone asks you where you are getting your information?

But it makes more sense your love of trump. He also loves to make shit up and then cry and play the victim when people point out his lies. 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
What are your thoughts on the national debt? Not sourced thoughts, your thoughts?
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
What are your thoughts on the national debt? Not sourced thoughts, your thoughts?
When the economy is going well, we should avoid raising it, if not pay it down. But that's sort of the wrong question. It isn't what to do about the debt, it is how do we increase government revenue to get a handle on the debt. 

The republican strategy of cutting taxes every chance they get is the problem. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
How long would you think it would take to pay down the national debt to say 5 trillion dollars if you didn't  run a deficit (balanced budget spend what you take in) and devote only 1% of that to paying down the debt? Mind you  govt cant even balance the budget and adds a minimum of 2 trillion each year in debt. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
How long would you think it would take to pay down the national debt to say 5 trillion dollars if you didn't  run a deficit (balanced budget spend what you take in) and devote only 1% of that to paying down the debt? Mind you  govt cant even balance the budget and adds a minimum of 2 trillion each year in debt. 
I don't pretend to be an economics professor. What is the point to this line of questioning? Do you think we should just cut all social spending and devote it to the debt? Should we just write off the debt and refuse to repay it? What exactly is your point?

Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@sadolite
Debt viewed as a % of GDP may be a more appropriate measure of the problem, perhaps also considering it versus national wealth.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@HistoryBuff
I am trying to convey just how bad the financial future is going to be. Everyone should be hanging politicians from ropes in DC for doing this to our country. But alas people still think there is this magical endless bottomless pit of money and stick their heads in the sand rather than educate themselves as to what is actually going on. If one even spends 10 minutes looking at the situation one can only come to one conclusion. The whole house of cards will come tumbling down.  So yes govt spending needs to be drastically cut. PEOPLE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THERE IS NO MONEY FOR ANYTHING.  You can cut  all non legitimate govt spending and make it hurt less or you can live in this delusion that there is an endless supply of money and wake up one morning and all the banks will be closed and we will all be piss broke because all of our savings and investments  will be gone. It will happen just like that, no warning. You wake up piss poor broke with nothing if we continue with 2 trillion dollar deficits every year.

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
Of course there isn't an endless amount of money, but if you want anyone to care about your position, then provide sources to back it up.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@sadolite
I am trying to convey just how bad the financial future is going to be. Everyone should be hanging politicians from ropes in DC for doing this to our country.
for cutting taxes on the wealthy, absolutely. For far too long both parties have been shills for the rich.

So yes govt spending needs to be drastically cut. PEOPLE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THERE IS NO MONEY FOR ANYTHING.  
this might be the worst possible idea. That is how you trigger a massive recession and potentially a revolution. Basically the problem is that the rich get a pass on taxes and you want to balance the budget on the backs of the poor.

You wake up piss poor broke with nothing if we continue with 2 trillion dollar deficits every year
Couldn't agree more. taxes on corporations and the wealthy need to be significantly higher and military spending needs to be massively cut. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Theweakeredge
Do your own home work. The fact that you need me to provide the information and not research it on your proves how hopeless things are. Its your future not mine.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
Nah nah nah, that's not how a claim works, if you are to assert a position then you have the necessary burden to provide evidence otherwise we can dismiss the notion. That's how the burden of proof works.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Theweakeredge
Its your future not mine.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@sadolite
In other words, you have no evidence that anything you're saying is accurate and that I should just blindly follow what some random dude says on the internet? Suuuure, how about I look at the other people who actually provided evidence to back their claims up.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Theweakeredge
In other words, you have no evidence that anything you're saying is accurate and that I should just blindly follow what some random dude says on the internet? Suuuure, how about I look at the other people who actually provided evidence to back their claims up.
he also wants you to spend a bunch of time researching his point to try to disprove the crap he made up. then when you do, he will move the goalpost on you and say you are wrong and try to make you do it again. I've been down this rabbit whole with sadolite before. 

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yes you are correct,  I have no evidence. I am just making it all up to trick you. There really is a bottomless pit of money and you have nothing to worry about. You got me.
Death23
Death23
-->
@sadolite
Yes you are correct,  I have no evidence. I am just making it all up to trick you. There really is a bottomless pit of money and you have nothing to worry about. You got me.
Raise taxes on the rich, treat capital gains as ordinary income (max deferrment of 10 years), close tax loopholes, increase federal vice taxes, cut military spending to the bone, and begin state capitalism as a source of public revenue.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Death23
There ya go, that will fix it.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
there's plenty of room for both tax cuts, and increases. the average Joe doesn't know the details, so most people just revert to general partisan talking points. 

here's a way to get an idea where to cut and increase taxes....
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@sadolite
There ya go, that will fix it.

Worked for Greece.

Oh And Venezuela of course. Endless money trees.

Obviously Greece and Venezuela need some lessons from the young posters on this site on how to properly "tax the rich."

Normally progressives like to point to Europe for policy success. Not this time. The experiment with the wealth tax in Europe was a failure in many countries. France's wealth tax contributed to the exodus of an estimated 42,000 millionaires between 2000 and 2012, among other problems. Only last year, French president Emmanuel Macron killed it.

In 1990, twelve countries in Europe had a wealth tax. Today, there are only three: Norway, Spain, and Switzerland. According to reports by the OECD and others, there were some clear themes with the policy: it was expensive to administer, it was hard on people with lots of assets but little cash, it distorted saving and investment decisions, it pushed the rich and their money out of the taxing countries—and, perhaps worst of all, it didn't raise much revenue.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Couldn't agree more. taxes on corporations and the wealthy need to be significantly higher 
Degentrification is a regressive policy.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Degentrification is a regressive policy.
i have no idea why you think gentrification is related to cooperate and income tax rates. This conversation had nothing to do with gentrification so i have no idea why you brought it up. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Because it's your way of justifying a sin tax on a person that produces too much and doesn't spend enough.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Because it's your way of justifying a sin tax on a person that produces too much and doesn't spend enough.
what? when did I advocate a sin tax? we are talking about corporate and income taxes. That has nothing to do with "sin". I have no idea why you are responding to things i did not say. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
The regressive tax system punishes people who do well so that they can buy votes from the people who are in the lower half of the income strata. Politicians know that they can always buy votes by pushing for “taxing the rich”. They target the upper 5% and middle 30% so that they can brag on not charging the lower 49% anything. So the lower 49% get the most services from the government and they pay almost nothing or exactly nothing. But they vote for the people that who tell them that is what they are doing.

Taxes are a politician’s tool for buying votes. When the democrats are out of power they scream about the rich not paying taxes but then again they are the very ones who put in all the tax advantages for things like real estate. However if there were no tax advantages for investing in lots of real estate projects then the poor would not have a place to live at a low cost. Many wealthy business owners take advantage of employee tax credits for hiring disadvantaged workers - people that would not be able to get a job are hired because of these credits. The media and other politicians like to flat out lie to the people and act like these tax breaks are hurting other people instead of helping them.

Politicians like to power grab - it would probably only take 10–15% of the current tax revenue to completely balance the budget and do EVERYTHING that the government SHOULD be doing for the American citizens. However, politicians have created many times as many services as the government should be doing all in the interest of buying votes. They create a new service - hire 10,000 people at astronomical salaries and eternal benefits to provide some kind of service at the lowest possible level of efficiency. Then these people get in these jobs and 2 or 3 years later someone else wants to stop that service but now these people rally together to vote against that person. Some other idiot gets elected and grows that department even more and then they need more buildings which they give those contracts to their buddies who overcharge by 200–300% for the job. Then those contractors create a “Political Action Committee” that donates a few million of the overcharges back to those candidates campaigns so that the “gravy train” keeps going their way.

This is how it has been going for the last 40+ years. This is exactly why we pay drastically higher taxes than normal and why we have little to show for our taxes.

Death23
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
The ONLY reason why most of the rich work harder than the poor, invest more in themselves than the poor, and save more than the poor is so that they do NOT have to rely on the same crappy government services the poor keep insisting they must pay for. Especially in the areas of private security, private education, and private healthcare.

Democracy is about mob rule, and the majority of Americans would rather work less and rely on those crappy government services. The Government has an incentive to continue to push policies to have many of the people that actually use the services pay almost nothing for them in order to maintain the status quo authoritative power. Since most people using the services are actually paying next to nothing for the services, then they don't care as much about the level of incompetency of the services as they would as services they were working harder for.

This is exactly why the progressive sin tax on people that work harder to avoid using shitty government services is not going anywhere, and also the reason why there never will be a flat tax policy in America. The only chance for a flat tax policy as the Nordic model where the poor is taxed at 40% can only occur when there are no alternatives to shitty government services. That also will never happen in America.

Want better government services? Tax the poor.

It's a cultural war for the future of America today.

A Meritocracy vs a Mediocracy.