The worldview of an Atheist

Author: Tradesecret

Total: 87
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Mopac
"The western "scientific" materialist worldview couldn't be more alien to being human. I go so far as to call it anti-human. It is like knowing a tree by chopping it down and counting its rings."
  I think they have a way to count the rings now without chopping it down lol

EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
There's nothing about the origin of humanity that requires magic as an explanation you Silly. God doesn't explain human origins, and fails as an explanation for anything else. So one can dive very little into the technical details of evolutionary theory to understand that supernatural intervention isn't required for human origins.

Keeping in mind I'm not speaking for Tradesecret nor have I read through this thread, but both atheism and theism are an interpretation of what we observe. Evolutionary theory included, so it's more your opinion that no Creator was required or better put it's your own interpretation. One of the biggest misconceptions that I see so often with Atheists is that they always assume theories of scientific research and study support atheism or materialism. Not so, science is a neutral study it makes no claims about God or a Creator. The moment you claim there is no need for "supernatural intervention" you've injected your own opinion.
I could look at the same observations of our universe and its productions and conclude a different interpretation, so what it basically comes down to is do you believe inanimate forces could produce intelligent processes? because there is no reason the details of evolutionary theory aren't compatible with Theism. If it can be compatible with Theism then your assumption that no God is necessary is your own assumption, not the claim of the theory of evolution nor any other scientific proposal based on the workings of our universe. So you of course can claim that God was never required for human origins but it's certainly no fact and it's not supported by scientific study. Scientific study is a neutral observation, meaning one can interpret it how they see fit, how it makes sense to whoever is considering it.

Materials, recipes and processes are associated with agency/intelligence. When you break down the materials, recipes and processes of our universe and can show what materials were utilized and the recipes involved in any given process you've only shown how the recipe came together. Whether or not you agree there was a maker involved is simply your own interpretation. So when science puts forth a recipe and shows what materials were involved in the evolution of that product it's simply revealing the recipe of how something comes together it's not making claims about whether or not there was a maker involved. It is simply a recipe of any given product, but we know just through commonsense recipes are associated with thought and minds.
To put it bluntly, Theists have every right to interpret scientific research and study just as Atheists do, so it doesn't come down to science is on the side of atheists or even materialism it comes down to who has the superior interpretation and which one makes more sense. So the "evidence" is up for grabs it doesn't belong to atheists nor theists. In light of what I just wrote indeed God explains why anything happens at all, why processes occur at all and why inanimate materials generate intelligent productions.

Now to add another dynamic, not only can theists interpret scientific evidence they also have a wide range of spiritual based evidence. There's more evidence for transcendental experiences and a transcendent reality than any other topic period, and spirituality has been recorded and observed longer than any other study. To claim that God fails as an explanation for anything is quite a limited opinion, and fails to acknowledge that God explains a whole lot of things actually. 

The point is that through the process of wanting to understand the world as it is, god becomes less and less necessary as an explanation for things.

I think if you look again, and consider that processes are associated with intelligence God becomes more and more necessary as an explanation for why anything occurs at all and why inanimate forces including energy acts as an intelligent operation. Don't give me the old "God of the gaps" baloney either lol, the correlation is much more than guesswork, no one has to guess because there's strong indication. When you consider that mixed the abundant supply of spiritual observations we have a damn good shot at being correct. And I'm trying to be fair here without proclaiming I know I'm right because of course you have every right to interpret the productions of the universe as you see fit as well. 

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@EtrnlVw
Evolutionary theory is a model that describes how life diversifies. That's not an "interpretation", that's just a description of reality. 

"The moment you claim there is no need for 'supernatural intervention' you've injected your own opinion."
  Actually my friend, that's simply a statement of fact. Nothing about what we know about the universe actually indicates there is a god. I argue that reserving belief in such things is more reasonable than belief without reservation. So atheism occurs naturally when one is being reasonable.

There has simply never been a demonstrated event of supernatural intervention, so why assume it's so?

"Materials, recipes and processes are associated with agency/intelligenc"
  Recipes, yeah sure there is some association. But the materials and processes, these are things that occur naturally. 

"I think if you look again, and consider that processes are associated with intelligence God becomes more and more necessary as an explanation for why anything occurs at all and why inanimate forces including energy acts as an intelligent operation. .Don't give me the old "God of the gaps" baloney either lol, the correlation is much more than guesswork, no one has to guess because there's strong indication. When you consider that mixed the abundant supply of spiritual observations we have a damn good shot at being correct."
  Haha, then don't give ME that god of the gaps baloney either. The correlation is just a correlation, not causation. These spiritual observations, how are they evidence of a god? 

You are reading intelligence into processes so you can draw the false analogy to god creating things intelligently. How is the existence of intelligence and things created by intelligence evidence of a god?
FLRW
FLRW
All life on Earth evolved from a single-celled organism that lived roughly 3.5 billion years ago, a new study by  Douglas L. Theobald seems to confirm. The study supports the widely held "universal common ancestor" theory first proposed by Charles Darwin more than 150 years ago.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Sum1hugme
Life is a mystery, something to be experienced. It cannot be known truly through books. It has to be lived.

It is one thing to have a dictionary understanding of thanksgiving. It is entirely something else to experience the mystery of thanksgiving. One does not know these things intellectually, they are experienced.

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Mopac
The mystery of Thanksgiving?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
The mystery of thanksgiving. 
Nice post man.  I grasped it.  
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
Evolutionary theory is a model that describes how life diversifies. That's not an "interpretation", that's just a description of reality.

What I mean is that the theory does not necessarily suppose materialism or atheism, thought I made that pretty clear. I know what the model describes.

Actually my friend, that's simply a statement of fact.

Not so, it's an assumption. You know the difference correct?

Nothing about what we know about the universe actually indicates there is a god.

That's an opinion, I gave you the alternative interpretation.

I argue that reserving belief in such things is more reasonable than belief without reservation. So atheism occurs naturally when one is being reasonable.

No, atheism is not a neutral position nor is it any more reasonable than a theistic interpretation. Atheism is an interpretation and one that requires a positive assertion. This is why I made the argument I made.

There has simply never been a demonstrated event of supernatural intervention, so why assume it's so?

The very products of what the universe produces through processes is the demonstration, or better put interpretation. It's commonsense really, even though it's an interpretation because we know from our own observations that inanimate materials don't construct things on their accord. Bricks don't build houses, logs don't build cabins, metal and electrical components don't build automobiles ect ect...there is always a constructor for a construction, a builder for buildings, a producer for productions, a manufacturer for manufacturing ect ect..
where ever we find processes it's associated with agency. We extend that same premise to the processes of the universe. For there to be an intelligent process there must be a mind to know how that needs to work, what materials, what arrangements, what recipes, what purpose ect ect....

The correlation is just a correlation, not causation.

Correlation is indication, which precedes evidence.

These spiritual observations, how are they evidence of a god?

You have to be aware of how evidence is defined and what constitutes evidence.

You are reading intelligence into processes

That's how an interpretation works.

so you can draw the false analogy to god creating things intelligently.

It's not a false analogy with the possibility I'm correct, but it is my interpretation.

How is the existence of intelligence and things created by intelligence evidence of a god?

I'll let you think on that for a bit lol. 

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@EtrnlVw
"What I mean is that the theory does not necessarily suppose materialism or atheism..."
  The theory doesn't contain any fact that indicates anything other than materialistic causes. So it doesn't have to be an assumption if every fact indicates that material causes are driving the processes of evolution.

"Not so, it's an assumption."
  It's simply the case that there isn't any indication that supernatural intervention is needed to describe the processes of evolution. That doesn't require assumption, as it's a statement of fact.

"'Nothing about what we know about the universe actually indicates there is a god.'

That's an opinion, I gave you the alternative interpretation."
  God isn't an explanation of anything in the universe unless you can describe the mechanism by which he intervenes in whatever he intervenes in in the universe. Otherwise, there is no reason to assume a superfluous agent in otherwise accurate descriptions of reality.

"No, atheism is not a neutral position nor is it any more reasonable than a theistic interpretation. Atheism is an interpretation and one that requires a positive assertion. This is why I made the argument I made."
  Nope, there are degrees of atheism. Some assert that there is no god and that they can prove it, but i don't align with them. I am simply relaying my thought process. Suppose I told you there was a magical elf that always stood behind you when you tried to look at him. Would you believe that without reservation,  or would you reserve belief in the elf until some fact indicates its possible?

"The very products of what the universe produces through processes is the demonstration, or better put interpretation. It's commonsense really, even though it's an interpretation because we know from our own observations that inanimate materials don't construct things on their accord. Bricks don't build houses, logs don't build cabins, metal and electrical components don't build automobiles ect ect...there is always a constructor of a construction, a builder for buildings, a producer for productions, a manufacturer for manufacturing ect ect.."
  These inanimate objects listed do not possess the quality of being reproductive organisms. There are established mechanisms of evolution that describe how populations diversify. So why "interpret" agency onto otherwise material processes?

"You have to be aware of how evidence is defined and what constitutes evidence."
  I define evidence as a body of facts that positively indicative of, or exclusively concordant with, one conclusion above all others. 

"'How is the existence of intelligence and things created by intelligence evidence of a god?'

I'll let you think on that for a bit lol. "
  The point is that it isn't. Every argument for god I have ever encountered has had critical flaws.
FLRW
FLRW
"God is Dead" is a widely quoted statement made by the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche used the phrase to express his idea that the Enlightenment had eliminated the possibility of the existence of God. If God is alive, how come he doesn't go on the Jim Bakker Show and speak to the world from a burning bush?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
TO do so - is an example of someone who has not actually thought through her position but someone who has just jumped in by "blind faith". 
It takes ZERO faith to NOT believe in something you've never seen or heard.

How much faith does it take for you to NOT believe in the almighty NANABOZHO?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
@Sum1hugme
The difference between reading about thanksgiving and actually being thankful.

A color blind person who can't see the color green cannot know green, no matter how much they study it. In fact, they may know more facts about the color green than anyone! To really know green, you have to experience green. The mystery of the color green.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@FLRW
"God is Dead" is a widely quoted statement made by the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Which really doesn't mean much. If God is alive Gods very Being pulses through every single organism and product of energy.

Nietzsche used the phrase to express his idea that the Enlightenment had eliminated the possibility of the existence of God.

And I would have to say that doesn't make much sense.

If God is alive, how come he doesn't go on the Jim Bakker Show and speak to the world from a burning bush?

God is not distinct from fire, a bush or the Jim Baker show, that's the irony. Why would God speak to the world just to speak to Itself through many veils and layers of conscious awareness? God already knows It exists, the embodiments serve the purpose of hiding that truth, that's what makes the game fun. It's only temporary until the soul either wakes up or leaves this world. There is no real reason for God to rush the journey of any given soul. This physical world and planet wouldn't be what it is if we all knew the full scope of what exists, there's other places of existence where that is an ordinary reality but not here.

Having said that, the soul that's traveling/navigating through creation in embodiments is veiled from the full truth of its origins at one level for a reason, and because of this it is through the process of spirituality that the soul at some point uncovers the truth a bit at a time. This is not a collective observation or process it is an individual process. It's not incumbent that the world be unveiled from the Ultimate Reality at one time in one moment.
God is alive within you, in a sense you are not distinct or separated from God it is only the immediate physical sense perception that you believe that. But at the core, you are one with God and can be nothing else. That's also the irony lol, you are the very thing you seek to find and uncover. The fun part is the process that will occur as you unravel that truth. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@EtrnlVw
What is the difference between the self deification of the atheist and what you are saying in, "God is alive within you, in a sense you are not distinct or separated from God it is only the immediate physical sense perception that you believe that. But at the core, you are one with God and can be nothing else. That's also the irony lol, you are the very thing you seek to find and uncover. The fun part is the process that will occur as you unravel that truth. "?

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
The theory doesn't contain any fact that indicates anything other than materialistic causes. So it doesn't have to be an assumption if every fact indicates that material causes are driving the processes of evolution.

The theory wouldn't contain any other fact other than what the process is and does which is why I gave the analogy of a recipe, that's why it's a neutral study. It doesn't make any claims for or against a Creator, this is simple to understand. In other words you don't get to make the call that no God was required without making that positive assertion. That's where you added content. You can assume or believe that materials are driving the processes of evolution but as I laid it out, it's a silly proposition.

It's simply the case that there isn't any indication that supernatural intervention is needed to describe the processes of evolution. That doesn't require assumption, as it's a statement of fact.

Well I appreciate your assertion and opinion about it, but it does nothing for your case to assert that. It is just your own opinion.

God isn't an explanation of anything in the universe

All except for the processes that take place within our universe lol, that IS an explanation for why intelligent processes occur at all. What are you not seeing there?

unless you can describe the mechanism by which he intervenes in whatever he intervenes in in the universe. Otherwise, there is no reason to assume a superfluous agent in otherwise accurate descriptions of reality.

The mechanism by which God intervenes is the very function of energy itself, at which point things begin to happen, it is the manipulation of energy and element. Of course we haven't gotten to that point yet and how that works we are getting there though. First we need to recognize that you don't just get to assert that a God is not required for processes to take place and claim that is some default position. My argument is that it is not a default position, science is not making claims one way or another, so you don't get to claim scientific theories as a means to assert yourself into a more "reasonable" position. Both positions/interpretations can be reasonable but of course I would argue my position is the more reasonable one.

Nope, there are degrees of atheism.

Yep, once you assert that God is NOT required you made a positive claim, sorry that's how it works. If it is true that science is a neutral study, and we know that it is....science simply gives us the formulas in any given process, whether or not there was a maker is up for grabs. You choose to believe that recipes do not require a maker to create that process as a means to produce something.

Some assert that there is no god and that they can prove it, but i don't align with them.

For starters that is an unprovable claim. Needless to say. Either way, when you embrace atheism or materialism you have embraced a worldview, science is not an ideology it is a study of things that occur. 

I am simply relaying my thought process. Suppose I told you there was a magical elf that always stood behind you when you tried to look at him. Would you believe that without reservation,  or would you reserve belief in the elf until some fact indicates its possible?

Lets stay on track and not insult each others intelligence, how about that?

These inanimate objects listed do not possess the quality of being reproductive organisms. There are established mechanisms of evolution that describe how populations diversify. So why "interpret" agency onto otherwise material processes?

Because material processes can't generate anything on their own will, that requires thought and mind and I gave you an analogy of productions and a producer. You're missing the point though, I'm not saying the materials or the processes themselves are animate, I'm saying there is a user of those processes. This becomes obvious when you observe what they create within our universe.

I define evidence as a body of facts that positively indicative of, or exclusively concordant with, one conclusion above all others.

Lets get a more whole understanding of what constitutes evidence

Evidence-
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY
an outward sign : INDICATION
one who bears witness
broadly construed, is anything presented in support of an assertion, because evident things are undoubted.
There are two kinds of evidence: intellectual evidence (the obvious, the evident) and empirical evidence (proofs)
that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof

Testimony (spiritual evidence)
evidence or proof provided by the existence or appearance of something
firsthand authentication of a fact : EVIDENCE
evidence in support of a fact or statement; proof.

So here, I'm using two types of evidence to show you the evidence is strong for a Creator. I'm using a good indicator through correlation and I'm using testimonial experience, which is first hand evidence that supports the truth of something. Both qualify as evidence. 

The point is that it isn't. Every argument for god I have ever encountered has had critical flaws.

Except for the one I'm making now, you haven't shown any critical flaws as of yet.

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
TO do so - is an example of someone who has not actually thought through her position but someone who has just jumped in by "blind faith". 
It takes ZERO faith to NOT believe in something you've never seen or heard.

How much faith does it take for you to NOT believe in the almighty NANABOZHO?
Less than you to not believe in God. I do not find forums for instance to bolster my non-faith about some almighty NANABOZHO.  I don't.

Yet, you who continues to tell us all about how much non-faith you have, spend oodles of time doing so.  

I could care less about people mocking me or changing my view on Ananabozho - but you on the other hand spend considerable time defending your position. 

It is what it is. You just choose to pretend it is not. Good for you. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
I also spend a lot of time debunking other myths.

Guess how much faith I need to NOT believe in other myths?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
That my friend is a red herring. 

And it avoids the reality. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Sum1hugme
You are reading intelligence into processes so you can draw the false analogy to god creating things intelligently. How is the existence of intelligence and things created by intelligence evidence of a god?
Deism is functionally identical to Atheism.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
But let's stop and consider what you are saying. 

You have non-faith in atheism. 

I  too have non-faith in atheism.

where does it leave us?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
It also dismantles your assertion that spending time arguing against something somehow indicates that I really really really believe in it.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
Atheism is NOT a dogma or a creed.

Atheism literally means "NOT a Theist".

It's the same as calling yourself "NOT a space alien" or "NOT an champion swimmer".

It isn't a description of what you ARE, but of what you are NOT.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
It also dismantles your assertion that spending time arguing against something somehow indicates that I really really really believe in it.
No it does not. 

You just want to define terms to make you have a non-faith.    

It is a false sense of logic. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
You just want to define terms to make you have a non-faith.
Please make your personally preferred definitions explicit.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
theism is NOT a dogma or a creed.

Atheism literally means "NOT a Theist".

It's the same as calling yourself "NOT a space alien" or "NOT an champion swimmer".

It isn't a description of what you ARE, but of what you are NOT.
Yes keep telling yourself that is what it is.  Atheism literally means "No God".   It is a worldview, it has doctrines. It might bury its head about what these are - but evolution - origin of life, death are all parts of this worldview. 

And get this - if all atheists are atheists because they look at the world and see there no evidence for God, and these same atheists also look at the world and don't come to the same conclusion about everything, using their own reasoning and logic, then how and why should we trust them about the so called lack of evidence they don't see for God?

After all, we have to assume that the reasoning they are using to determine what evidence is or is not there is similar.  But on the other hand - if they all come to the same conclusion about the lack of evidence for God and yet draw many other conclusions about everything else - perhaps the common factor of unity is hallucination.  They all are having delusions or perhaps they are all brainwashed - or perhaps they are all reading the same book by Dawkins? 

But unless they are all have the same way of dealing with evidence or so called lack of evidence then I think that they ought to be dismissed. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
(IFF) Atheism literally means "No God" (THEN) we must make the definition of "God" explicit

Please present your personally preferred definition of "God".
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
Please present your personally preferred definition of "God".
Univeres aka Uni-V-erse is the simple answer, that  requires only our faith in our scientific observations, or,

a more comprehensively wholistic definition --- includes 1} Metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts and 2} macro-infinite truly non-occupied Space considerations--   if we use the same terms, modified  as "U"niverse.

Uni = one

One-verse = on e finite set aka The Cosmic Trinity Outline, that, none have added too, or offered any rational, logical common sense that invalidates  The Cosmic Trinity Outline;

1} 1} Metaphysical-1 { aka Spirit-1 }, mind/intellect/concepts, ex concepts of God, Universe, Time, Footballs, Rabbits, Numbers, Earth etc,

-----conceptual line-of-demarcation--------

2} Metaphysical-2, macro-infinite truly non-occupied Space, that, embraces the following,

3} finite, occupied Space Universe aka Uni-V-erse

.......3a} physical reality aka Observed Time { quantum particles } associated with sine-wave /\/\/ pattern of phenomena aka fermions and bosons or any collection thereof, aka Spirit-2

...........3b} Metaphysical-3, Gravity  (  )  aka occupied Space,  aka Spirit-3

..............3c} Metaphysical-4, Dark Energy  )(  aka occupied Space  aka Spirit-4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take note in the above of texticonic differrences to make distinct differrences ex;

italics used with Metaphysical-1,

Capital letter in bold ex to make distinction between reality of quantised, Observed Time Space  and non-quantised Graviational Space and Dark Energy Space,