The Great Assumption

Author: logicae

Total: 38
logicae
Debates: 10
logicae
-->
@secularmerlin
It is beyond current human epistemological limits to say why there is stuff rather than no stuff.
Because?
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@logicae
Because we have no evidence of what came before the event colloquially known as the big bang or even if before has any meaning in the context. Our best current cosmological model does not make any claims concerning a "beginning".
logicae
Debates: 10
logicae
-->
@secularmerlin
Is absence of evidence evidence of absence? Say if no evidence was found at the scene of a murder, would you then dismiss it saying, "Well there is no evidence so nobody did it."  Also how can you be so sure there is no evidence? Perhaps you are not looking in the right place.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@logicae
If there were truly no evidence that would mean no body... no blood... no signs of a struggle. I would gave to conclude that no evidence of murder = no murder and no murder = no murderer. At most we have a missing person case.

Perhaps I should clarify that there is no sufficient evidence of any event before by which I mean observable demonstrable evidence (preferably subjected to the peer review process). If you have any such evidence you may be entitled to a Nobel prize. 
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@logicae
Our current understanding of physics breaks down once you get smaller than a planck length. So it is currently beyond the scope of modern science to say where the initial energy came from. We can only peek at what happened in the first initial moments of cosmic expansion.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@logicae
Something is unfalsifiable whenever:

X is claimed to be true, whenever X cannot possible be proven false.

From that understanding, the "why" of the universe could be claimed to be any arbitrary standard, and asserted true. As the why is currently beyond the scope of our scientific testability, they couldn't demonstrate that arbitrary standard false. 

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@logicae
The Ultimate Reality is God.

I certainly do not discount God, but all the wisest men of ages past understand well that God's essence is unknowable. They also understand that Truth is not knowledge(information), but The Way of Life.

To abide in this Eternal Way of Truth is to share in God's divinity. It is the secret of eternal life. For The Truth is eternal, and only in unity with The Truth does one find salvation. To be made by grace what God is in essence.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@logicae
The Ultimate Reality is God.

I certainly do not discount God, but all the wisest men of ages past understand well that God's essence is unknowable. They also understand that Truth is not knowledge(information), but The Way of Life.

To abide in this Eternal Way of Truth is to share in God's divinity. It is the secret of eternal life. For The Truth is eternal, and only in unity with The Truth does one find salvation. To be made divine by grace what God is in essence.