Hunter coverup getting scary.

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 175
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
A 17 minute video isn’t a 500 page book or research journal dude. It would take you longer to read a chapter in a 500 page book than watch a 17 minute video lol
if you want people to look at your evidence, tell them exactly where to find it. I don't understand why this seems to be complicated for you. 

It’s right in the source. The claim is simple: Bobulinski claims the “big man” in the verified emails refer to Joe Biden, who met with a member of Burisma.
2 things. 1) that guy has a axe to grind against the bidens. So the things he says should not be taken as fact without evidence
2) at the time he claims that at the time the "big man" comment was made, joe was a private citizens (not VP) and therefore there would be no criminal issue even if it were referring to biden. 

This entire "story" is meaningless. I don't understand why the right thinks this is some huge scandal. 

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
In 1913, somebody falsely yelled "fire" at a packed Christmas Party in Michigan and 73 people were crushed to death in the panic.
It still feels like you're missing the point.

What if there really was a fire.

Would yelling "fire" cause the same number of deaths (as not-yelling fire)?

Exactly like this "HUNTER BIDEN" "problem", it's the individuals who PANIC that are "the problem" that need to be solved.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@HistoryBuff
This entire "story" is meaningless. I don't understand why the right thinks this is some huge scandal. 
Yep.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

-Noam Chomsky
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”
100% THIS.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Since we're quoting the wisdom of Noam Chomsky, let's be sure to note his interview yesterday

NOAM CHOMSKY BELIEVES TRUMP is “the WORST CRIMINAL in HUMAN HISTORY”

By Isaac Chotiner
October 30, 2020

Chomsky makes the case that Trump is worse than Mao, Hitler, or Stalin

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
It helps if you read the article while imagining hearing it in a monotone whisper.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
100% THIS.

Thanks!
oromagi
oromagi
@oromagi
In 1913, somebody falsely yelled "fire" at a packed Christmas Party in Michigan and 73 people were crushed to death in the panic.
It still feels like you're missing the point.

What if there really was a fire.

Would yelling "fire" cause the same number of deaths (as not-yelling fire)?

Exactly like this "HUNTER BIDEN" "problem", it's the individuals who PANIC that are "the problem" that need to be solved.
To clarify, Guiliani  is shouting FIRE! in a crowded fire house. 

The moviegoers look around, see no fire, and tell Guiliani to shut the fuck up.   

Guiliani stands on his chair and weeps " I will not be censored!  I myself saw a picture of the fire on a friend of a friend's laptop!" 

The moviegoers say "well, where's this fire now?"

Tucker Carlson stands up and says, "It's true! I found an ember that proves there is a fire!"

The moviegoers say, "well, what ember"

Tucker screams, "It's gone!  Somebody stole my ember!  I am being censored by movie theater management!"

The moviegoerslook around again, see nothing,  yell  "sit down and shut up, please."

Greyparrot posts to DART, "Wow, this fire at the movie theater is getting out of control!"

oromagi
oromagi
You mention a bunch of dictators that the United States has cozied up to—and not respecting arms-control treaties—but those are things you’ve written about in the past. I’m interested that you say that you think the Trump Administration is a break with the past. How do you think it’s different in some way?

NOAM CHOMSKY: Well, having an arms-control regime is different than not having one. That’s a break, and it’s a break on one of the two most significant issues in human history. We’ve been living for seventy-five years under the shadow of possible nuclear destruction. The arms-control regime that’s been slowly built up over the years—Eisenhower’s Open Skies proposal, the Reagan-Gorbachev I.N.F. treaty, and other pieces—has mitigated the dangers. Trump has been tearing every piece of it to shreds. The only thing that’s left is New start. It has to be ratified by next February. If Trump wins the election or refuses to leave office, it will be gone by February.

The other major threat to human survival in any recognizable form is environmental catastrophe, and, there, Trump is alone in the world. Most countries are doing at least something about it—not as much as they should be, but some of them rather significant, some less so. The United States has pulled out of the Paris Agreement; is refusing to do any of the actions that might help poorer countries deal with the problem; is racing toward maximizing the use of fossil fuels; and, at the same time, just opened the last major nature reserve in the United States for drilling. He has to make sure that we maximize the use of fossil fuels, race to the precipice as quickly as possible, and eliminate the regulations, which not only limit the dangerous effects but also protect Americans.

Step by step, eliminate everything that might protect Americans or that will preserve the possibility of overcoming the very serious threat of environmental catastrophe. There is nothing like this in history. It’s not breaking with the American tradition. Can you think of anyone in human history who has dedicated his efforts to undermining the prospects for survival of organized human life on earth? In fact, some of the productions of the Trump Administration are just mind-boggling.

oromagi
oromagi
Trump seems to care about his own interests and his own survival, and you have talked about American foreign policy previously being driven by the interests of a whole ruling economic élite. I guess maybe that’s a distinction without a difference, because it’s economic élites who are supporting Trump and allowing him to do this, in some sense.

NOAM CHOMSKY: Not only are they supporting him, but he’s serving them slavishly. It’s hard to find an American President who has been more dedicated to enriching and empowering the ultra-rich and the corporate sector—which is, of course, why they’re happy to tolerate his antics. For example, the one real legislative achievement is the tax scam, which was just a giveaway to the very rich and the corporate sector. In fact, everything I’ve just mentioned is the same. When you reduce regulations, you’re putting more money in the pockets of the rich and harming the working class and the poor and everyone else. That’s extreme. When you refuse to fill the National Labor Relations Board with members so that employers can get away with anything they want, you’re serving the rich. We can go right down the list. He’s a very loyal servant of private power, private wealth, and the corporate sector—which is why they let him get away with the kind of antics you see.

It’s kind of striking when you see the great and powerful get together. Take a look at the last Davos conference, in January. There were three keynote speakers. The first, of course, was Trump. They don’t like him. They don’t like him at all because they like to put forward an image of humanism, civilized behavior, decency, “put your trust in us,” that sort of thing. But when he spoke, they gave him rousing applause. They couldn’t stand anything he was saying. There’s this braggart up there ranting about how wonderful he is. They were probably cringing in their seats, but they gave him rousing applause because there’s one line that he said that they understand, which is meaningful: I’m going to put plenty of money in your pockets, so therefore you better tolerate me. That’s the way he’s regarded by the powerful élites here. Yeah, we can’t stand him, he’s a disgusting creature, but he knows which side the bread is buttered: ours.
oromagi
oromagi
NOAM CHOMSKY:  It’s not discussed. You heard some comments about maybe Trump isn’t doing nice things on the climate. Did you hear anything about his being the worst criminal in human history?

The worst criminal in human history? That does say something.

NOAM CHOMSKY: It does. Is it true?

Well, you have Hitler; you have Stalin; you have Mao.

NOAM CHOMSKY: Stalin was a monster. Was he trying to destroy organized human life on earth?

Well, he was trying to destroy a lot of human lives.

NOAM CHOMKY: Yes, he was trying to destroy lots of lives but not organized human life on earth, nor was Adolf Hitler. He was an utter monster but not dedicating his efforts perfectly consciously to destroying the prospect for human life on earth.

Let’s take some of their publications. A couple of years ago, you may recall the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration published a several-hundred-page analysis. They concluded that, on our present course, we’re likely to reach four degrees Celsius, seven degrees Fahrenheit, above preindustrial levels by the end of the century. That’s an utter cataclysm. Any climate scientist will tell you that. And they drew a conclusion from it. We should not put restrictions on automotive and truck emissions. We should limit the restrictions. Can you find a counterpart to that in human history? Please tell me.

I—

NOAM CHOMSKY:  Well, I can think of one thing that maybe comes close. The Wannsee declaration, in 1942, where the Nazi party put the finishing touches on the plans to wipe out all the Jews and kill tens of millions of Slavs. Pretty horrifying. Is it as bad as that publication I just mentioned?

I don’t disagree about Trump’s badness. I’m not sure if he’s intending to destroy the planet so much as he’s intending to watch Fox News and is just following terrible policies out of some combination of laziness and nihilism, and being surrounded by crooks and nihilists.

NOAM CHOMSKY:  I’m not talking about Trump the human being. I couldn’t care less about him. I’m talking about the policies. The policies are clear; the understanding is clear. There is nobody that’s not living under a rock that can’t comprehend that maximizing the use of fossil fuels and eliminating the restrictions is going to lead to disaster. The document I just mentioned assumes that we’re racing toward total disaster.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
An update to bring this back to the original topic, the one where Tucker claimed a grand conspiracy about documents being stolen. UPS found them. they were returned. This whole thing was an absolute non-story in an attempt to rile up gullible people. 

Also, they aren't talking about what is actually in the information. Just the "conspiracy". This whole thing is a joke. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts. But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second. The forces of illiberalism are gaining strength throughout the world and have a powerful ally in Donald Trump, who represents a real threat to democracy. But resistance must not be allowed to harden into its own brand of dogma or coercion—which right-wing demagogues are already exploiting. The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.

The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted. While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty. We uphold the value of robust and even caustic counter-speech from all quarters. But it is now all too common to hear calls for swift and severe retribution in response to perceived transgressions of speech and thought. More troubling still, institutional leaders, in a spirit of panicked damage control, are delivering hasty and disproportionate punishments instead of considered reforms. Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study, and the heads of organizations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes. Whatever the arguments around each particular incident, the result has been to steadily narrow the boundaries of what can be said without the threat of reprisal. We are already paying the price in greater risk aversion among writers, artists, and journalists who fear for their livelihoods if they depart from the consensus, or even lack sufficient zeal in agreement.

This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time. The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other. As writers, we need a culture that leaves us room for experimentation, risk-taking, and even mistakes. We need to preserve the possibility of good-faith disagreement without dire professional consequences. If we won’t defend the very thing on which our work depends, we shouldn’t expect the public or the state to defend it for us.

-Signed by Noam Chomsky, and calls were made to censor Chomsky over this.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
One fan tweeted: “Apparently he is canceled now for signing a letter pro-open dialogue which is forbidden on the internet apparently and oh, 17-year-olds now think they’re better Chomskys than Chomsky. It’s a rabbit hole, enter at your own risk.”
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
...and calls were made to censor Chomsky over this.
This is priceless.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
To clarify, Guiliani  is shouting FIRE! in a crowded fire house. 

The moviegoers look around, see no fire, and tell Guiliani to shut the fuck up.   

Guiliani stands on his chair and weeps " I will not be censored!  I myself saw a picture of the fire on a friend of a friend's laptop!" 

The moviegoers say "well, where's this fire now?"

Tucker Carlson stands up and says, "It's true! I found an ember that proves there is a fire!"

The moviegoers say, "well, what ember"

Tucker screams, "It's gone!  Somebody stole my ember!  I am being censored by movie theater management!"

The moviegoerslook around again, see nothing,  yell  "sit down and shut up, please."

Greyparrot posts to DART, "Wow, this fire at the movie theater is getting out of control!"
I'm going to get this framed.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
Everything is theatrics for the elites in political power. Everything is a fire to them.
oromagi
oromagi
So, if we are all in general agreement with Chomsky that Trump is the worst kind of criminal and a direct threat to American Democracy, why would any of us accept the word of that criminal's personal lawyer regarding unsubstantiated accusations against that criminal's rival on the last week of the election?  Shouldn't we just start from the position that any such October surprise should be viewed with profound skepticism and we don't want to see such suspicious shit cloaked in  the imprimatur of news until some kind of hard evidence is put forth?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
The "fire" argument is what Chomsky says is abused by powerful political elites.

And He got cancelled for just stating the obvious.
Conway
Conway
-->
@oromagi
****Hunter Biden tabloid story raises disinformation campaign fears****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkRBSbFtc4Q

Did they send journalists to look into the story? 
No, and NPR literally took the time to make up an excuse for not covering it at all.

Did they inquire about the information the government is holding in a CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION for MONEY LAUNDERING? 
No, CBS literally sent people out to contact someone who doesn't work with the FBI to make unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

Did they disagree with the story and debunk it?
No, Twitter literally banned people, including the president lol.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
In your opinion, what's the worst-case-scenario IFF Hunter = Criminal?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Conway
I still can't tell exactly what anyone's supposed to "investigate".

Go to the source?

The source is already spouting off full-bore, no need to "interview" them.

Go to the "evidence"?

Well apparently the "evidence" is unverifiable.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
Reporter reports, "I found a smoke machine!!"

Panicked partisans yell, "just because you found a smoke machine doesn't mean there's not ALSO a real fire!!!"
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
In your opinion, what's the worst-case-scenario IFF Hunter = Criminal?

I really don't care. the worst-case scenario is what I outlined in the OP, that it gets censored regardless of the criminality.

Elite politicians cant be allowed label and censor everything they don't like as a "theatrical fire"
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
Elite politicians cant be allowed label and censor everything they don't like as a "theatrical fire"
I love the term "theatrical fire".

And I agree with you.
oromagi
oromagi
The "fire" argument is what Chomsky says is abused by powerful political elites.
Yes, Trump and Giuliani in this particular

And He got cancelled for just stating the obvious.
I have read Chomsky on cancel culture but I'm not aware of any particular instance of Chomsky actually getting cancelled.  Specifics?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL

Cancel culture is disgusting, uncivilized, and undemocratic.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
Cancel culture is disgusting, uncivilized, and EXTREMELY democratic.
Danielle
Danielle
LMFAO at how poorly this thread aged.  "I have the most damning documents!!! But they disappeared!!!! SOMEONE STOLE THEM IT'S A HUGE FUCKING CONSPIRACY OH MY GOD THIS SHOULD BE TERRYIFNG TO EVERYONE!!!!!! It was going to ruin Joe Biden's campaign!!!!!  Me, Tucker Carlson, journalist extraordinaire!!!!!! Now that I have been reunited with the documents umm uhh errr uhh umm err stay tuned."