Topic's posts

Posts in total: 54
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 322
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    I think DART should have an "other" option in the gender category, in case someone doesn't identify as female or male (e.g. nonbinary people). This is pretty much the status quo on DDO.

Even for those of you who believe that gender is equivalent to biological sex, there's a whole community of intersex people who don't fit within the binary. 

In any case, even if gender is actually a binary (which I don't think it is), there is no harm in letting people who don't think it is classify themselves as not being female or male. 
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    Debates: 14
    Forum posts: 2,589
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Tejretics
    I support that. I wouldn't mind having more than 3 options, even. For example, Agender, Genderqueer, Genderfluid, Intersex, Bigender, Transgender, Other, and Prefer not to Say.
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @bsh1
    The DDO options were pretty bad, if I recall correctly. Your options look pretty good.

The only problem is many of them aren't mutually exclusive. "Transgender" isn't mutually exclusive to "male" or "female" or any other gender. "Intersex" isn't mutually exclusive to male, female, or genderqueer. "Genderfluid" similarly isn't mutually exclusive to any of the genders. And these seem to be a combination of possible biological sexes and genders. So I'm not really sure about those three, at least. Maybe you could tick multiple options.
  • RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 301
    Forum posts: 8,991
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    The thing about the progressive movement is they only seem for now to care about the 'less gendered' among us.

I am a true 'alpha male' and that should be an option too muahahahaha.

• bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Tejretics
    I would argue that the terms are distinct.

Genderqueer implies that a person identifies with a combination of gender identities (such as male and female). Genderfluid implies that one oscillates between discrete gender identities. And transgender implies, of course, that one identifies with a gender which is the converse of one's biological sex. Intersex implies that one is hermaphroditic, that is, biologically neither male nor female, but both.

Intersex =/= genderqueer, because it implies a biologic component which shapes one's gender identity. Similarly, it is not male or female because it is hermaphroditic.

Genderfluid =/= male, female, intersex, etc. because it implies that one shifts, based on the situation, between two discrete identities. This is different from genderqueer, in that genderqueer implies a stable identity across all situations.

Transgender =/= male or female because, like intersex, it is tied relationally to one's biological sex; that is, it denotes that one's gender identity is the opposite of one's biological sex.
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @bsh1
    I would argue that the terms are distinct.

Genderqueer implies that a person identifies with a combination of gender identities (such as male and female). Genderfluid implies that one oscillates between discrete gender identities. And transgender implies, of course, that one identifies with a gender which is the converse of one's biological sex. Intersex implies that one is hermaphroditic, that is, biologically neither male nor female, but both.

Intersex =/= genderqueer, because it implies a biologic component which shapes one's gender identity. Similarly, it is not male or female because it is hermaphroditic.

Genderfluid =/= male, female, intersex, etc. because it implies that one shifts, based on the situation, between two discrete identities. This is different from genderqueer, in that genderqueer implies a stable identity across all situations.

Transgender =/= male or female because, like intersex, it is tied relationally to one's biological sex; that is, it denotes that one's gender identity is the opposite of one's biological sex.
    I didn't say the terms meant the same. I meant the terms could coincidei.e. are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Transgender could absolutely be male or female... that's what trans women and trans men are, people who were assigned the opposite sex at birth but transitioned to a gender identity that is still a gender identity. The same with trans genderqueer people.

Intersex people could also be genderqueer because they could, if they choose to, identify as genderqueer while also incidentally being intersex; similarly, intersex people may identify as female or male.

Genderfluid, similarly, isn't mutually exclusive to being female, male, or nonbinary at particular points in time.

• Vaarka
    Vaarka avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 695
    Vaarka avatar
    Vaarka
    I'm cool with being referred to as male or female lmao 
  • Vaarka
    Vaarka avatar
    Vaarka avatar
    Vaarka
    No wait disclaimer I'm a completely straight male but I'm just saying I won't correct if you call me a she b/c I probably don't care
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @Vaarka
    Neither of those posts is relevant to the title or the OP...

Do you think there should be an "other" option for gender on DART?
  • Vaarka
    Vaarka avatar
    Vaarka avatar
    Vaarka
    --> @Tejretics
    Do you think there should be an "other" option for gender on DART?
    sure
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Tejretics
    Perhaps, but I think that's too fine a point. Were you genderfluid, you would likely choose to identify as that on a consistent basis, rather than constantly switching your ID for the moment.

I think including those options can't possibly hurt.
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @bsh1
    The majority of intersex and trans people identify with a gender identity that's female, male, or nonbinary.
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Tejretics
    Not all, though. 
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @bsh1
    Then people should at least be able to tick multiple options if they want. 
  • bsh1
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1 avatar
    bsh1
    --> @Tejretics
    I can agree to exclude Transgender and Intersex from the list, but Genderfluid should remain.
  • RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 301
    Forum posts: 8,991
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    And add alpha male and supreme queen to it as well as beta male and girly girl.

• SupaDudz
    SupaDudz avatar
    Debates: 29
    Forum posts: 11,084
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz
    I agree despite my belief.

We should respect the people who do not identify as a certain gender to feel support and feel a part of the community.

• Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Forum posts: 7,758
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac

Male
    Female
    Delusional

But if you really are going to play thos silly game you might as well just make it fill in the blank because there are no end to these genders.
  • SupaDudz
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz
    --> @Mopac
    I think 100% of this fact, but we should respect what they believe. If they decide to add all 72 genders of some crap like that, I will have a problem
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Forum posts: 7,758
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    --> @SupaDudz
    If it isn't simply male or female, I think it should be fill in the blank.

There really isn't an end to these genders, it is a totally arbitrary thing.

• SupaDudz
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz avatar
    SupaDudz
    --> @Mopac
    Agreed 100%
  • Death23
    Death23 avatar
    Debates: 18
    Forum posts: 368
    Death23 avatar
    Death23
    Perhaps having it as a write-in field would work.
  • Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @Death23
    Perhaps having it as a write-in field would work.
    That would just open up to sexist trolls writing in their gender as "F-35 fighter aircraft" -- which I've seen trolls on DDO say and do.

• Tejretics
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics avatar
    Tejretics
    --> @bsh1
    Sure, I'm cool with genderfluid remaining.
  • Death23
    Death23 avatar
    Debates: 18
    Forum posts: 368
    Death23 avatar
    Death23
    --> @Tejretics
    Hmmm the profile page input field is for sex rather than gender. While sex is binary, it seems non-standard in contemporary website design to use sex rather than gender for user input. I think it should be a gender field with male / female / other. This is what seems most common, and all the other options have an "other" from the drop down menu.

I am a bit concerned about having anything other than "other" put in there. It seems like the site would be taking an official position as to which genders actually exist and which do not, or which are worthy or unworthy of consideration. This doesn't seem like a proper role for the site to me.