Add an "other" option for gender

Author: Tejretics

Total: 54
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
I think DART should have an "other" option in the gender category, in case someone doesn't identify as female or male (e.g. nonbinary people). This is pretty much the status quo on DDO.

Even for those of you who believe that gender is equivalent to biological sex, there's a whole community of intersex people who don't fit within the binary. 

In any case, even if gender is actually a binary (which I don't think it is), there is no harm in letting people who don't think it is classify themselves as not being female or male. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
I support that. I wouldn't mind having more than 3 options, even. For example, Agender, Genderqueer, Genderfluid, Intersex, Bigender, Transgender, Other, and Prefer not to Say.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@bsh1
The DDO options were pretty bad, if I recall correctly. Your options look pretty good.

The only problem is many of them aren't mutually exclusive. "Transgender" isn't mutually exclusive to "male" or "female" or any other gender. "Intersex" isn't mutually exclusive to male, female, or genderqueer. "Genderfluid" similarly isn't mutually exclusive to any of the genders. And these seem to be a combination of possible biological sexes and genders. So I'm not really sure about those three, at least. Maybe you could tick multiple options.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
The thing about the progressive movement is they only seem for now to care about the 'less gendered' among us.

I am a true 'alpha male' and that should be an option too muahahahaha.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
I would argue that the terms are distinct.

Genderqueer implies that a person identifies with a combination of gender identities (such as male and female). Genderfluid implies that one oscillates between discrete gender identities. And transgender implies, of course, that one identifies with a gender which is the converse of one's biological sex. Intersex implies that one is hermaphroditic, that is, biologically neither male nor female, but both.

Intersex =/= genderqueer, because it implies a biologic component which shapes one's gender identity. Similarly, it is not male or female because it is hermaphroditic.

Genderfluid =/= male, female, intersex, etc. because it implies that one shifts, based on the situation, between two discrete identities. This is different from genderqueer, in that genderqueer implies a stable identity across all situations.

Transgender =/= male or female because, like intersex, it is tied relationally to one's biological sex; that is, it denotes that one's gender identity is the opposite of one's biological sex.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@bsh1
I would argue that the terms are distinct.

Genderqueer implies that a person identifies with a combination of gender identities (such as male and female). Genderfluid implies that one oscillates between discrete gender identities. And transgender implies, of course, that one identifies with a gender which is the converse of one's biological sex. Intersex implies that one is hermaphroditic, that is, biologically neither male nor female, but both.

Intersex =/= genderqueer, because it implies a biologic component which shapes one's gender identity. Similarly, it is not male or female because it is hermaphroditic.

Genderfluid =/= male, female, intersex, etc. because it implies that one shifts, based on the situation, between two discrete identities. This is different from genderqueer, in that genderqueer implies a stable identity across all situations.

Transgender =/= male or female because, like intersex, it is tied relationally to one's biological sex; that is, it denotes that one's gender identity is the opposite of one's biological sex.
I didn't say the terms meant the same. I meant the terms could coincidei.e. are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Transgender could absolutely be male or female... that's what trans women and trans men are, people who were assigned the opposite sex at birth but transitioned to a gender identity that is still a gender identity. The same with trans genderqueer people.

Intersex people could also be genderqueer because they could, if they choose to, identify as genderqueer while also incidentally being intersex; similarly, intersex people may identify as female or male.

Genderfluid, similarly, isn't mutually exclusive to being female, male, or nonbinary at particular points in time.

Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
I'm cool with being referred to as male or female lmao 
Vaarka
Vaarka
No wait disclaimer I'm a completely straight male but I'm just saying I won't correct if you call me a she b/c I probably don't care
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Vaarka
Neither of those posts is relevant to the title or the OP...

Do you think there should be an "other" option for gender on DART?
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Tejretics
Do you think there should be an "other" option for gender on DART?
sure
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
Perhaps, but I think that's too fine a point. Were you genderfluid, you would likely choose to identify as that on a consistent basis, rather than constantly switching your ID for the moment.

I think including those options can't possibly hurt.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@bsh1
The majority of intersex and trans people identify with a gender identity that's female, male, or nonbinary.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
Not all, though. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@bsh1
Then people should at least be able to tick multiple options if they want. 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
I can agree to exclude Transgender and Intersex from the list, but Genderfluid should remain.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
And add alpha male and supreme queen to it as well as beta male and girly girl.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I agree despite my belief.

We should respect the people who do not identify as a certain gender to feel support and feel a part of the community.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac

Male
Female
Delusional

But if you really are going to play thos silly game you might as well just make it fill in the blank because there are no end to these genders.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Mopac
I think 100% of this fact, but we should respect what they believe. If they decide to add all 72 genders of some crap like that, I will have a problem
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Vader
If it isn't simply male or female, I think it should be fill in the blank.

There really isn't an end to these genders, it is a totally arbitrary thing.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Mopac
Agreed 100%
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
Perhaps having it as a write-in field would work.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Death23
Perhaps having it as a write-in field would work.
That would just open up to sexist trolls writing in their gender as "F-35 fighter aircraft" -- which I've seen trolls on DDO say and do.

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@bsh1
Sure, I'm cool with genderfluid remaining.
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@Tejretics
Hmmm the profile page input field is for sex rather than gender. While sex is binary, it seems non-standard in contemporary website design to use sex rather than gender for user input. I think it should be a gender field with male / female / other. This is what seems most common, and all the other options have an "other" from the drop down menu.

I am a bit concerned about having anything other than "other" put in there. It seems like the site would be taking an official position as to which genders actually exist and which do not, or which are worthy or unworthy of consideration. This doesn't seem like a proper role for the site to me.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Death23
Sure, I don't have a problem with female, male, and other.

I'm also fine with bsh1's options (apart from intersex and transgender) as well as an "other" option. 

(btw, sex isn't binary either, but I agree on the standard being asking for gender and not sex.)
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
@Tejretics
You boys think you invented this of course you do:

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
I don't think I invented it...

It's literally the status quo on DDO, there's nothing to invent. I believe kbub was responsible for the suggestion on DDO. 

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
During survey design a good idea is to randomize the order of appearance on many demographic questions. While for sex Other would be the third option, having Male and Female display in random order avoids the obvious complaint of one over the other.
Mopac
Mopac
I don't see the point in not having fill in the blank for everything.

What if someone really wants to rep the guns and dope party, but can't because they have to pick from the following options? Same for religion... what if someone identifies as a devout taco groveler?

I mean shit, if we are going to pretend to be all inclusive, I see no good reason to not just make everything fill in the blank.

In fact, it would be really eady to be obnoxious and demand that your particular whatever was recognized, and paint it out like not doing so is intolerant.

In fact, I am offended at this site use of the gregorian calendar. I refuse to put my birthday in anything other than the Inuit calendar! I will not be another casualty to this sites bigotry and Roman bias!

*froth atta mouth*