Moral Subjectivism AMA

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 127
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@SirAnonymous
It is the principal of the claim - you are essentially saying that due to the fact that you can do it - it is justified that others do it
More like "I can do it, but others don't know that I do it. Thus, they don't know that they're justified in doing it to me, so there are no negative effects for me."
Again - if you are claiming that this is due to the fact that they are harming another person they are necessarily interacting with others but is also not logically justified as I have explained countless times, unless you claim there to be a god, all systems have this problem. Because of course there is no negative if absolutely no one knows you do it (Except for the necessary psychological damage.)

Psychologically perhaps, but that does not negate the physical harms of being anti-social such as increased aggression, restless sleep, etc...
It doesn't negate the physical harms. It turns them into a positive because the masochist enjoys physical harms.
Just because they enjoy the harm, does not mean it is not negative. Just because you enjoy bleeding out, doesn't mean bleeding out magically isn't harmful. It is still harmful. This is fallacious.

Yes but this is based on what is logically justified - all of these could be simple solved with a better standard which is also subjective - but there is no need.
The tyrant in this case enjoys it. No need is required.
Again, enjoying something isn't grounds for dismissing it, as I have previously explained.

you would still be encouraging others to do the same which would be overall net negative
Except that they can't do it to me, so there's no negative.
And like I explained in the text you didn't quote, this is unrealistic, not to mention if they have all of the power that is realistic they can simply harm whatever you are working towards, which is still psychological harm.

suppose their is someone powerful enough to hurt you, then you can't. And it is unlikely for you to be powerful enough where people can't hurt you, its unrealistic, and not likely to happen.

Yes, but they are still encouraging harm to themselves, they would be better off in the long run without harm to their goals or practices, if that is the case, a power like that, then people can harm them in more than just physical ways.
There are people more powerful than Kim Jong Un, but he gets away with harming others without any harm coming to him. It is a realistic scenario, although it only applies to a few people.
And his cause is still harmed, as you simply ignore in this point, assuming that harming the person directly is the only way to harm someone is naive. And I don't believe you hold that position. 

it is literally still logically unjustified.
The logic doesn't matter to the tyrant in this scenario. They enjoy harming others, and it brings no harm to themselves.
Woah Woah, maybe not to the tyrant, but it is still unjustified for the tyrant to be morally free of responsibility. As I explained in my paragraph above specifically.

Because that would be assuming a thing that we have proven false to be correct, because then it would encourage the way of thinking that we should breed every single athletic person until there are less and less people, thereby doing more than just harm to you, but to the society that benefits you too, which would be even greater harm. 
You seem to be missing the point of the hypothetical. Such situations might be unlikely, and the specific examples I bring up might not work. But that isn't the point. The point is whether or not you system would work in such a scenario.
Even if you are correct, it does not work in these very narrow and unlikely scenarios where most if not all positions would not work,  you aren't correct. Also, you quote me rebutting you, but you do not actually rebut the case, just reference what I said above that.

They are still wrong to believe it.
But they don't care that they're wrong. Your argument here only holds for rational people who are interested in their own benefit. However, there are plenty of irrational people out there.
Incorrect, it holds true to anyone who cares about themselvesother people, or pleasure in general. Therefore if they cared about themselves they are just being wrong. That isn't something you can stop people from being.

Regardless this doesn't prove that my moral system is flawed, but that not everybody will follow it, but this is true of literally everything.
Not quite. It is true that there are people who will violate any moral system. However, your particular system ties obligation to net benefit. If someone doesn't care about that, then I don't see how your system gives such a person any obligations. Other systems don't have that particular problem. For instance, in most systems of objective morality, immoral actions are immoral no matter what. In certain forms of nihilism, nothing is morally good or morally bad.
I've already talked about this paragraph in particular, but to the objective good thing. I do not believe it possible for Objective morality to exist. Therefore that example is wrong. Nihilism would also be okay with them just dying which statistically isn't true of a nihilist. All this ties to obligation is pleasure, simple logic extrapolations get you from there. 

Fundamentally speaking, either you have some measure of worth or you literally die.
That's only an issue if everyone cares about dying. Take a suicide bomber for instance. The bomber actually wants to die. There are no negatives for him when he carries out the bombing.
Death literally robs all pleasure from the person, therefore it is inherently negative. (Now some cases may exclude this possibility, but then they would be the moral thing to do, and not at all what you are talking about)

Already addressed the last point

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Theweakeredge
It seems you have the same problem that is just repeated, or at least as I interpret it:

If someone does not care about net positive, then it doesn't give people obligations
Correct. That is the problem I see in your system. I won't bother with the specific examples because they all boil down to this point.
It honestly doesn't matter if they care about it or not, an moral obligation is based on an ought. Not what people believe. If your response is then to say that it is subjective and not objective and therefore what authority do you have then, is also not a valid response, as the ought itself is the logical condition. This is true of all moral systems. You are human and you have a basis on which you are harmed or hurt, one should do what maximizes that as a factor of biological truth as well as what is most philosophically true. It's kind of like objecting to a syllogism because there are people who would misinterpret that syllogism, it does not logically follow.
But why is human harm or benefit the standard? Why should it apply to everyone? If I'm understanding you correctly, you're applying this standard to everyone everywhere every time. It seems to me that you're taking a subjective standard and making it essentially objective.

The one other issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be any moral dimension here. Yes, it's logical for people to do what benefits them. But why is human benefit good?
Username
Debates: 9
Username
Why call yourself a subjectivist instead of an antirealist
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
Define what you mean specficially. I do not believe that morals can be justified by anything other than subjective values (i.e: things contingent on a mind), therefore I am a moral subjectivist
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Do you think natural rights exist
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Not objectively if we weren't humans, but by virtue of being humans, we have a natural rights of sorts
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
What do you think about this line of reasoning

Taxation is morally equivalent to forced labor.
Therefore taxation is morally equivalent to slavery

Username
Username
Define what you mean specficially. I do not believe that morals can be justified by anything other than subjective values (i.e: things contingent on a mind), therefore I am a moral subjectivist

Do you believe that ethical statements express prepositions that are true/false based on the attitudes of people?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@SirAnonymous
But why is human harm or benefit the standard? Why should it apply to everyone? If I'm understanding you correctly, you're applying this standard to everyone everywhere every time. It seems to me that you're taking a subjective standard and making it essentially objective.
That should be obvious by now, because everyone is influenced, positively and negatively by well-being, welfare, pleasure, whichever you want to call it - everyone has it and therefore everyone ought to have some goal to preserve their own at least, and thereby others. It is applied to everyone, but that does not make it objective at all, no morality is objective.

The one other issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be any moral dimension here. Yes, it's logical for people to do what benefits them. But why is human benefit good?
It is very connected to the moral realm - it is the standard by which I measure morality - therefore it is very morally connected. If your morality is not based on a logical standard, then that morality is not logical, it is not valid. Why should I follow that morality?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
That is incorrect.

If you implying that's what moral subjectivism is, you are also wrong.
Username
Username
Okay. . . what is "moral subjectivism". Who came up with that 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Taxation is morally equivalent to forced labor.
Therefore taxation is morally equivalent to slavery

This is a conditional statement, IF taxation is morally equivalent to forced labor, then taxation is morally equivalent to slavery

First problem being - you are assuming the only problem with slavery is forced labor. The deep wealth inherent of psychological, physical, sexual, and romantic harm done to a slave can not be matched by taxes, as it does not inherently inflict this upon the people it enable thems over

Second problem: Taxation isn't morally equivalent to forced labor - you only pay taxes whenever you buy something or receive income - therefore the mandatory tax is not at all forced, while you could argue that you need to work and such to survive, therefore it is forced, all that does is illustrate that the differences between the labor of paying extra money is vastly different from being forced to work and being dehumanized as you did so.

Essentially this is a false equivalence. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
No idea and I honestly don't care, I am using the dictionary definitions and extrapolating from there, while a philosophic paper would also give me a basis for it, why can't the dictionary also be a basis?
Conway
Debates: 0
Conway
-->
@Theweakeredge
Would you respect any theories of "right" and "wrong" on the assumption of an objective order?  

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
Subjective - "Dependent on the mind or on an individual's perception for its existence."
Morality - "Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour."

Therefore Subjective Morality are principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour which are dependent on the mind or on an individual's perception for its existence. 

While technically the standard I'm using is objective to humans, in order for that paradigm to exist human minds would have to perceive it, and it is therefore subjective.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Conway
What is the objective order? I do not believe any order to be objective, it is definitionally impossible. Before I would listen to the supposed objective order, I would have to have proof that the order was objective.
Username
Username
No idea and I honestly don't care, I am using the dictionary definitions and extrapolating from there, while a philosophic paper would also give me a basis for it, why can't the dictionary also be a basis?
There are many existing metaethical positions that deny the existence of morality as an objective fact i.e. relativism, skepticism, antirealism, noncognitivism. Saying that you believe its subjective doesn't really tell us what you mean by that. Could you elaborate? 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
I did, principally because I don't think you can have a moral system that isn't based on a mind, essentially that there is some kind of perception where you have to get your morality from, and I get mine from the human perception of pleasure and suffering, of well being and harm, because I believe that to be one of if not the most objective standard that can be used by humans. Scroll up a bit and I do actually explain this.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
I think the argument is that taxation is the same as laying claim to the product of your labor. Which is the same as forced labor. And forced labor is morally equivalent to slavery
Username
Username
-->
@Theweakeredge
essentially that there is some kind of perception where you have to get your morality from, and I get mine from the human perception of pleasure and suffering, 
Ok got it.  Making up metaethical terms can be confusing though especially when its already difficult to distinguish between the ones that do exist, so forgive me on that. 

So when you say "pain/pleasure good/bad" do you consider that just a judgment you're making based on your feelings or one based on something that is true regardless of what someone thinks, like a mathematical statement? Or somewhere in between?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
While the results can be varied,  I believe it is very possible to measure how much something hurts or benefits someone objectively, so it definitely leans much more towards the latter option; however, I am aware that things can be misinterpreted, I am aware that studies can be flawes, etc, etc, so I would not say they are objective, just as close as I believe a standard to be.

And no apologies necessary, if anything I was being needlessly aggressive, I basically challenged half the site to a gauntlet when I made a progressive, moral objectivism ama, plus the would your god murder me one. So, my bad.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Theweakeredge
Thanks for the answer. I think I learned more about your position by arguing with you than I would have by asking questions. Thank you also for being polite and engaging with me. I understand your position a lot better now.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Well, as you said, it's an assumption and a false equivalence. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@SirAnonymous
Of course, thank you for engaging me, it helps me flesh out specific facets, as well as improve my reasoning. Sharpening my argument if you would, as well as my mind.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
I don't think it's an assumption that taxation is the same as laying claim to the product of a person's labor
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Well - also - the justifications are completely different, and not to mention you have an implicit societal duty as per a social contract to contribute to the country's funds as long as it does not abuse your rights, whereas slavery is necessarily violating your rights
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
And the literal products of someone's labor is completely different from one's actual labor
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
Yeah, I believe we have natural rights to autonomy. But do you dispute that taxation is the same as laying claim to a person's labor? 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Sum1hugme
Practically yes, staking a claim in someone's labor both implies you have no authority to do it, and that you have no justification to do it, whereas taxation has both of those things. And I specifically disputed that taking someone's labor and taking the products from that labor is different, not what you were asking of.

Username
Username
-->
@Theweakeredge
Would you describe yourself as a utilitarian