Teach Theweakeredge a lesson in...

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 34
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
As popularly noted by Mopac, Tradesecret, etc, etc.. I am still in high school, and any knowledge I have beyond one is all research I do in my spare time and online college classes that I've started to take. 

So.. I figure we have a unique and boisterous bunch of educated individuals here. Here you can leave me a post teaching me about whatever, leave sources for me to learn about the topic, start up a conversation to take me to school, etc, etc...

I thought it might be fun for you guys to brutally and metaphorically rip my throat out with your knowledge. Tear me apart and all of the gaps in my less than 2 decades born self I am. Long dramatic speech, long dramatic speech. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
Come on, this is your chance, school me or whatever
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
When drawing blood from some people, it can be useful to make sure they're seated in such a way that if they faint, they don't fall off the chair.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Lemming
In what way is that?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
Leaned back it there's a backing, for instance, 'propped in some way, that if they go limp they collapse a short distance, rather than a long distance and a hard knock to the floor.
Doesn't really happen 'often.
This site says to only expect it in 2.5 percent of patients,
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Lemming
Huh, that's interesting, I'm hypoglycemic and use to faint a lot, so I was never allowed to have my blood drawn, so I never knew much on the subject. I don't even know what blood type I am.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
I don't imagine most people 'do know their blood type, I've forgotten mine, A something or other.

How was/is the fainting for you to deal with?
Something you had to have an active awareness of I mean?
Or it's symptoms or what to do.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Lemming
Yes, I am very aware of when I'm about to faint. As for the first time, that would be when I collapsed into a grocery store front desk, specifically into those little candy sections directly in front and below the cash register, and I woke up 5 minutes later with my step-dad shoving a chocolate bar in my mouth. 

It was strange to say the least.

Now as long as I eat healthily and keep my blood sugar levels stable I'm all good. Though its mostly just making sure it doesn't get too low. As for what to do, if I'm already aware that I'm going to faint, then what I do to prevent it is:

Gain stable ground, essentially try to establish my sense of balance
Close my eyes (Its more a mental thing)
Focus on one thing in particular, a thought, a feeling, a smell, a noise, etc
Calm my breathes
Give out a warning that I might pass out. 
Once I'm less unstable, I'll slowly make my way to some juice or something
seldiora
Debates: 158
seldiora
-->
@Theweakeredge
TOPIC: Who is Best Pony in My little pony: Friendship is Magic?

MLP:FiM is a show about friendship, magic, and friendship magic. It has six mane/main characters who each resemble great amount of characterization and have gone under a lot of change during the entire series. This topic is important because it's good to see which kind of personality and actions are desirable in real life, despite the fiction genre of the show.

Twilight represents all that is rational and smart, but she is also very absorbed with books. Her talent of magic has brought her far in her academic success, but has failed in terms of friendship, hence why Princess Celestia sent her on a friendship lesson quest. She has a maniac like obsession with getting good grades and being successful. She is good at organization, team work, and she has great interaction with her foal baby sitter along with her Big Brother, Best Friend Forever, Shining Armor.  However, without the effects of friendship, she becomes very selfish and needy, even becoming evil and difficult to reason with. Her nerdy nature and lonely independence is a double-edged sword, for certain. 

Pinkie is all that is happy and optimistic in this world. She always bounces with fluffy hair, loves party, socializing, and telling jokes. While seemingly good, her hyper state can be overwhelming, and she admits that she can seem shallow at times. So despite all her partying skills, she can be insecure. Merely being excluded from information about a secret party had brought her to an insane sadness that is absurd. And the fact that others may be more impressive to her friends, makes her also feel insecure about her own ideals. Even so, she is the main comedic aspect in the entire show. She breaks the fourth wall constantly and completely warps the narratives. You can find her doing the most show-breaking things, and singing the most songs happily.

Rarity is classy, generous, and loves beauty. As a result, she loves being the center of attention, which can result in her seeming to be stuck-up. Her love of being clean had caused problems with her sister, and led to lack of self-sacrifice, despite her generosity. Her ability to sew clothes is unparalleled, and she handled Spike (Twilight's dragon)'s crush was very well done. Her ability to find gems does not deter her own ideas of wanting a different career than her mark that tells her "you are best at this". With her being the only exception in this compared to the other five, this goes to show just how much she values her personal opinion.

If you couldn't tell from the name, Fluttershy is reserved, kind, and a caretaker of animals. She usually had trouble with asserting herself, but gradually found way in knowing what she was good at. Her infamous "the Stare" talked down many different types of dangerous animals, and proved that she had her own abilities. Fluttershy takes her responsibilities seriously as a caretaker, and has managed to even talk down Discord, a spirit of chaos, into sympathizing with her. Her acceptance and forgiving of any pony and any being makes her the peak level of Confucius type thinking among the mane six. The only problem is that she is often kept to herself, rather than willing to expose herself to others.

Rainbow Dash is awesome, loyal, and "20% cooler" than you. She's fast in the sky and she was the one who broke through in her ability, causing a "sonic rainboom" that inspired everyone else to learn their talent. Though she is so confident that she can be arrogant, and refuse to even read books, she is not completely beyond hope. As she exposes herself to nerdier things, she aspires to become the Wonderbolts, racers for Equestria, and also to grow a liking to Daring Do (basically pony Indiana Jones). She can be brash and mischievous at times, especially with pranks that go beyond what Pinkie normally does, but she comes around in the end if you let her realize she needs to be humble.

AJ is honest, from the good old country, and persistent. She is the only one out of the mane six who declared that she didn't learn a thing and that she was right all along. Her ability to work hard on the farm, and almost never tell a lie, combine together to a nearly perfect character. Especially since the show never tackled Categorial Imperatives. You Kant just do that, MLP. Anyways. She personally strongly believes in her causes, especially her family and her apple farm. Though this can go far in terms of bias. In the best episode of MLP ever, her sister found out that her mother was with the opposing family -- the Pear's. Not to mention she had bias against the bats that ate up her apples, without thinking of why they might be doing this. So even though AJ is down to earth, this can some time cause trouble in things that require more innovation.

In conclusion, you who likely knew nothing about MLP now can judge who the mane six are. You are enlightened. With that, go forth and conquer. Find out, who is best pony.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
Patients in the hospital, we'd just have them sit for five or ten minutes, encourage them to have something to drink be it water or juice.
Though I suppose we'd often talk to them a bit as well, try to ease them about getting their blood drawn, being in a hospital.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@seldiora
I -what-why...... I have to admit, I admire the fact that you knew all of that and enough to succinctly list all of their characterizations. I did read them all, I don't know who would be the best, but the first one probably relates to me the most, and that is the most I will ever explore that topic.

Thanks
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@seldiora
Well, I always figured there was 'something that appealed to a 'great number of people, regarding that show, though I've yet to check on it myself.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Lemming
I tried to sit down once, I almost immediately fainted, so... yeah. I suppose that that could work, I think its just my headspace, to be honest, I've just never gotten sitting down to work. Though juice is essential to be sure.
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Theweakeredge
honestly i kind of wanted to troll you without doing any actual research lol
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Theweakeredge
Well, for the blood draws they were always sitting already.
Be different if one feels it coming on while standing, or about one's day, I'd think.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@seldiora
honestly i kind of wanted to troll you without doing any actual research lol

My assumption 'was that, but I also thought it 'likely you were a fan, it 'is a popular show, well popular enough that one sees it mentioned in popular culture often enough.
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Theweakeredge
ok I'll be a bit more serious and teach you something useful.

One current issue is laws that should be implemented to further regulate self-driving cars. It has arisen because self-driving cars are becoming more and more popular, but users are worried about accidents, with most cases being the manufacturer resulting at fault. As autonomous vehicles and its AI is currently being developed (millions predicted in the future), it is a current issue that needs to be addressed. 
The United States lack an overall law that agrees with a certain set standard. There are questions about liability, criminal impact, insurance, and regulations, as an attorney from Pennsylvania lists. [12] Even now, the issues of ethics are at stake, and insurance and lawyers arguing about policies are becoming popular, according to a legal and cybertechnology journalist. [9] 

Autonomous vehicles still need stricter regulation and have many problems that need to be solved. Experts are concerned especially with how to have AI follow the traffic law. There are also issues with cybersecurity, edge case testing, and encouraging companies to share data. [4] As automated cars become more common, accidents are prone to occur, and laws must be made to carefully keep them in check. The fact that not everyone has access to these advanced cars means the “benefits and harms are unevenly distributed”, as an expert says. [4]
 These cars on their own can only go so far, and some amount of user responsibility is wise to keep in check, should anything go wrong. In particular, manufacturers need to have specific focus on “strict liability”, negligence, defects, providing warning, and information. [5] After regulating the manufactures, the responsibilities of customer to comply with regulation and give feedback should also be stressed. The laws must be created ahead of time, and higher standards than regular cars are important. [6]

For example, the AV Start law gives manufacturers exemptions for vehicles, allowing potential loopholes in regulation, and isn’t comprehensive enough. (“Potential challenges include increased costs, liability and licensing issues, privacy considerations, security and cybersecurity concerns, and potential job losses”) [10]. In contrast, the Self-Drive Act sets up basic standards, which reaffirms the safety of the consumers, role of government, and sets up a good framework for a starting point. The German Road Traffic act details autonomous cars with a better description. They also speak of users' liabilities, in contrast to US laws. “These provisions determine those rights and duties (responsibilities) that can be exercised… by the driver”, Juhasz describes. [11] This idea of customer responsibility echoes back to his personal stance about Artificial Intelligence and needs for detail on laws concerning the software in general. 

(this is self-plagiarized and the numbered sources keep re-numbering themselves due to how DART works. Just ignore irrelevant sources)

1. Amadeo, K. (2019). How the US Senate Affects the US Economy. Retrieved October 29, 2020, from https://www.thebalance.com/us-senate-what-it-does-how-it-affects-the-us-economy-3305996 
  2. Times, A. (2015, October 30). Warner: Driverless cars steering NOVA toward the future. Retrieved October 29, 2020, from http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/articles/warner-driverless-cars-steering-nova-toward-the-future/article_ed7745da-79ce-11e5-9693-13d05f2893a3.html 
  3. Laris, M. (2015, October 19). Washington Post: In technology test, senator is along for the ride - the driver-less ride. Retrieved October 29, 2020, from https://www.warner.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/mobile/issueslegislation?ID=94ED0696-1F43-434B-9BE8-5769718384DC 
  4. Stilgoe, J. (2018). We need new rules for self -driving cars. Issues in Science and Technology, 34(3), 52-57. Retrieved from https://www-proquest-com.mutex.gmu.edu/docview/2177530435?accountid=14541 
  5. Villasenor, J. (2018, May 09). Products Liability and Driverless Cars: Issues and Guiding Principles for Legislation. Retrieved October 29, 2020, from https://www.brookings.edu/research/products-liability-and-driverless-cars-issues-and-guiding-principles-for-legislation/ 
  6. Guiqin Li, Yang Li, Zhiyuan Gao, and Feng Chen. 2019. Ethical Thinking of Driverless Cars. In Proceedings of the 2019 International Conference on Modern Educational Technology (ICMET 2019). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 91–95. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3341042.3341055 
  7. S.1691, “Internet of Things (IoT) Cybersecurity Improvement Act of 2017,” Sen. Mark Warner, 115th Congress, Aug. 1, 2017. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1691/text?format=txt
  8. Sen. Warner on Artificial Intelligence Executive Order. (2019, February 11). Retrieved October 29, 2020, from https://www.warner.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2019/2/sen-warner-on-artificial-intelligence-executive-order  
  9. Matthews, K. (2018). Legal implications of driverless cars. Retrieved November 04, 2020, from https://www.americanbar.org/news/abanews/publications/youraba/2018/december-2018/legal-implications-of-driverless-cars/ 
  10.   Hubbard, S. M. L. (2018). Automated Vehicle Legislative Issues. Transportation Research Record, 2672(7), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118774155
  11.  Juhasz, Agnes. (2018). The regulatory framework and models of self-driving cars. Zbornik radova Pravnog fakulteta, Novi Sad. 52. 1371-1389. 10.5937/zrpfns52-19047. 
  12. Simkin, S. (2018). Top 8 Legal Implications of Self-Driving Vehicle Technology. Retrieved November 10, 2020, from https://www.americanbar.org/groups/litigation/committees/business-torts-unfair-competition/practice/2018/top-8-legal-implications-of-self-driving-car-technology-litigation/ 

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Theweakeredge
XYZ = full spatial deck. Are we playing with a full deck?

We have 31 left and right skew great planes ---ergo total 62--  of the 5-fold icosahedron

Pi^3{ XYZ } = 31.00 62 7 '66'

Complex animals have 31 bilateral spinal nerves ergo 62 total.

P^4 - 31{ XYZ } = '66'.4

In Phi explorations we find the following set of 31 on each side of #5 ---31 5 31 which is the  32nd and 33rd run of digits ending with a #5

31  5......................32nd run is a shortrun...........................3 digits

31 7 '141' 011704 666 5..............................................................16 digits
..take note of 14 1 that is also beginning of Pi's irrational side --see below--- and 666 triplet relevant to this post.

Pi^4 - 31 { XYZ } = 66.4  aka Pi-Time so 2 tenths short of 66.6, ergo we do the following;

Pi^4 - 30.8 = 66.60, i.e. if 31 is a full  XYZ { spatial } deck, then some one ----30.8 ---    is not playing with a full deck { 31 }

Pi {3 . '1 4  1' 5  9 2  6 5  3 5  8 9  7 9  3 2  3 8  4 6  2 6  4 3  3 8  3 2  7 9  5 0  2 8  8 4  1 9  7 1  6 9  3 9 '' 9 3  7 5  1 0  5 8  2 0  9 7  4 9  4 4  5 9  2 3  0 7  8 1  6 4  0 6  2 8  6 2  0 8  9 9  8 6  2 8  0 3  4 8  2 5  3 4  2 1  1 7  0 6  7 9  8 2  1 4  8 0  8 6  5 1  3 2  8 2  3 0  6 6  4 7  0 9  3 8  4 4  6 0  9 5 '' 5 0  5 8  2 2  3 1  7 2  5 3  5 9  4 0  8 1  2 8  4 8  1 1 1  7 4  5 0  2 8  4 1  0 2  7 0  1 9  3 8  5 2  1 1 
5  '' 5 5 

Now we reduce infinite angle to circle, to, finite 360 degrees of angle = 720 degrees, and that val.  ue  is equal  to the four triangles of 3D tetrahedrons 12, 60 degree angles = 720 degree and that equals two sets of 360 degrees ergo can we safely say two sets of Pi should be used for 3D?

Pi + Pi = 6.28 31 85 30 71 79 58 64 76 92 52 86 76 65 59 and on that note I will have to explore elsewhere at another time.

Let us now view Pi's irrational side differrent by isolating #1 away for all following double digits....note: I only began tracking irrational side double digits when I first found the double 00's on Pi^3 = 31.00.  Those double 00's just made the  rational 31 so much more isolated away from the irrational side that I thought that was of cosmic significance.

3 . 1  4 1  5 9  2 6  5 3  5 8  9 7  9 3  2 3  8 4  6 2  6 4  3 3  8 3  2 7  9 5  0 2  8 8  4 1  9 7  1 6  9 3  9 9  3 7  5 1  0 5  8 2  0 9  7 4  9 4  4 5  9 2  3 0  7 8  1 6  4 0  6 2  8 6  2 0  8 9  9 8  6 2  8 0  3 4   8 2  5 3  4 2  1 1  7 0  6 7  9 8  2 1  4 8  0 8  6 5  1 3  2 8  2 3  0 6  6 4  7 0  9 3  8 4  4 6  0 9  '5 5'  0 5  8 2  2 3  1 7  2 5  3 5  9 4  0 8  1 2  8 4  8 1  1 1  7 4  5 0  2 8  4 1  0 2  7 0  1 9  3 8  5 2  1 1 
5  5 5 

Conclusions: Pi powerings came first for me and were interesting enough.  The Phi alone was very interesting.  Now here below, I'm looking further into Pi, in of itself to see what cosmic signifcance may appear to me. Ex the first triplet is 111 and first irrational digit is  #1.  Would be great to find a 31 on each side of a single digit, but then again we have to be careful in these types of patteren search cause Phi is not Pi and so on and so on. 

So should the triple zero make for a starting place of seperating the first part of Pi from all that comes after 000 into triples only?  See that is not exactly the same as Pi^3 = 31.00, wherein those double zeroes set apart rational from irrational, or seemingly so to me.

Might be interesting to see how far I would have to go to find a 31 n 31 bilateral set. 

3 . 1  4 1  5 9  2 6  5 3  5 8  9 7  9 3  2 3  8 4  6 2  6 4  33  8 3  2 7  9 5  0 2  88  4 1  9 7  1 6  9 3  99  3 7  5 1  0 5  8 2  0 9  7 4  9 4  4 5     9 2 3 0 7 8 1 6 4 0 6 2 8 6 2 0 8 9 9 8 6 2 8 0 3 4 8 2 5 3 4 2 1 1 7 0 6 7 9 8 2 1 4 8 0 8 6 5 1 3 2 8 2 3 0 6 6 4 7 0 9 3 8 4 4 6 0 9 5 5 0 5 8 2 2 3 1 7 2 5 3 5 9 4 0 8 1 2 8 4 8  1 1 1  7 4 5 0 2 8 4 1 0 2 7 0 1 9 3 8 5 2 1 1 0    5 5 5    9 6 4 4 6 2 2 9 4 8 9 5 4 9 3 0 3 8 1 9 6 4 4 2 8 8 1 0 9 7 5 6 6 5 9 3 3 4 4 6 1 2 8 4 7 5 6 4 8 2 3 3 7 8 6 7 8 3 1 6 5 2 7 1 2 0 1 9 0 9 1 4 5 6 4 8 5 6 6 9 2 3 4 6 0 3 4 8 6 1 0 4 5 4 3 2 6 6 4 8 2 1 3 3 9 3 6 0 7 2 6 0 2 4 9 1 4 1 2 7 3 7 2 4 5 8 7 0 0 6 6 0 6 3 1 5 5 8 8 1 7 4 8 8 1 5 2 0 9 2 0 9 6 2 8 2 9 2 5 4 0 9 1 7 1 5 3 6 4 3 6 7 8 9 2 5 9 0 3 6 0 0 1 1 3 3 0 5 3 0 5 4 8 8 2 0 4 6 6 5 2 1 3 8 4 1 4 6 9 5 1 9 4 1 5 1 1 6 0 9 4 3 3 0 5 7 2 7 0 3 6 5 7 5 9 5 9 1 9 5 3 0 9 2 1 8 6 1 1 7 3 8 1 9 3 2 6 1 1 7 9 3 1 0 5 1 1 8 5 4 8 0 7 4 4 6 2 3 7 9 9 6 2 7 4 9 5 6 7 3 5 1 8 8 5 7 5 2 7 2 4 8 9 1 2 2 7 9 3 8 1 8 3 0 1 1 9 4 9 1 2 9 8 3 3 6 7 3 3 6 2 4 4 0 6 5 6 6 4 3 0 8 6 0 2 1 3 9 4 9 4 6 3 9 5 2 2 4 7 3 7 1 9 0 7 0 2 1 7 9 8 6 0 9 4 3 7 0 2 7 7 0 5 3 9 2 1 7 1 7 6 2 9 3 1 7 6 7 5 2 3 8 4 6 7 4 8 1 8 4 6 7 6 6 9 4 0 5 1 3 2   0 0 0   5 6 8 1 2 7 1 4 5 2 6 3 5 6 0 8 2 7 7 8 5 7 7 1 3 4 2 7 5 7 7 8 9 6 0 9 1 7 3 6 3 7 1 7 8 7 2 1 4 6 8 4 4 0 9 0 1 2 2 4 9 5 3 4 3 0 1 4 6 5 4 9 5 8 5 3 7 1 0 5 0 7 9 2 2 7 9 6 8 9 2 5 8 9 2 3 5 4 2 0 1 9 9 5 6 1 1 2 1 2 9 0 2 1 9 6 0 8 6 4 0 3 4 4 1 8 1 5 9 8 1 3 6 2 9 7 7 4 7 7 1 3 0 9 9 6 0 5 1 8 7 0 7 2 1 1 3 4 9 9 9 9 9 9 8 3 7 2 9 7 8 0 4 9 9 5 1 0 5 9 7 3 1 7 3 2 8 1 6 0 9 6 3 1 8 5 9 5 0 2 4 4 5 9 4 5 5 3 4 6 9 0 8 3 0 2 6 4 2 5 2 2 3 0 8 2 5 3 3 4 4 6 8 5 0 3 5 2 6 1 9 3 1 1 8 8 1 7 1 0 1 0 0 0 3 1 3 7 8 3 8 7 5 2 8 8 6 5 8 7 5 3 3 2 0 8 3 8 1 4 2 0 6 1 7 1 7 7 6 6 9 1 4 7 3 0 3 5 9 8 2 5 3 4 9 0 4 2 8 7 5 5 4 6 8 7 3 1 1 5 9 5 6 2 8 6 3 8 8 2 3 5 3 7 8 7 5 9 3 7 5 1 9 5 7 7 8 1 8 5 7 7 8 0 5 3 2 1 7 1 2 2 6 8 0 6 6 1 3 0 0 1 9 2 7 8 7 6 6   1 1 1   9 5 9 0 9 2 1 6 4 2 0 1 9 8 9

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Theweakeredge
Just kidding. The above post is from ebuc in the HoF Nominations thread.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Theweakeredge
Okay, something useful. Maybe.

Have you ever wondered how fast that rock at the top of the hill would be moving when it reached the bottom of the hill, if you were to push it off? Or how about how fast an object is moving just before it hits the ground? There's a pretty easy way to answer both these questions: conservation of energy. You've probably at least heard of it before, if you haven't encountered it in a physics course. There are two types of mechanical energy that would need to be considered in the above scenarios: potential energy (PE) and kinetic energy (KE). For the purposes of this discussion, I'll ignore non-mechanical energy. PE is the energy an object has due to its height above an arbitrary surface. For example, if there was a book on a shelf 5 feet high, then the potential energy would be equal to the energy the book would have if it fell off the shelf. This is a result of the conservation of energy, which simply means that energy in a closed system can not be created or destroyed. In this case, the closed system is the book. Since we are only considering mechanical energy, the book will only have PE and KE. Thus, the sum of the PE and KE of the book at any point in time will be equal to the sum of the PE and KE of the book at any other point in time. Expressed mathematically, PE_1 + KI_1 = PE_2 + KE_2.

Both PE and KE have relatively simple equation. PE is dependent on the mass of the object, its height above the ground or any other arbitrary surface, and the acceleration due to gravity. Expressed mathematically, PE = mgh. KE is a function of the object's mass and its velocity squared, or KE = 0.5mv^2.

Of course, the theory doesn't make a whole lot of sense until it's demonstrated, so I'll solve the problem with the book. We can state that mgh_1 + 0.5m(v_1)^2 = mgh_2 + 0.5m(v_2)^2. The mass of the book doesn't change, so all of the m's are equal and cancel out. This is extremely useful, because we don't even need to know the book's mass. The book is 5 feet off the ground, so h_1 = 5 ft and h_2 = 0 ft. If you wanted to, you could say something like h_1 = 15.72 ft and h_2 = 10.72 ft. It won't make any difference in the end. However, it's a lot easier to define the ground as being 0 ft. If we do that, we can immediately see that the term mgh_2 will just be 0, since any number multiplied by 0 is 0. We can also eliminate the term 0.5m(v_1)^2 because the book is just sitting on the shelf, so its initial velocity is 0. The acceleration due to gravity on earth is 32 ft/s^2 (9.8 m/s^2). This is all the information we need to solve the problem.

mgh_1 + 0.5m(v_1)^2 = mgh_2 + 0.5m(v_2)^2

Mass cancels.

gh_1 + 0.5(v_1)^2 = gh_2 + 0.5(v_2)^2

Substitute v_1 = 0 and h_2 = 0.

gh_1 = 0.5(v_2)^2

Solving for v_2.

v_2 = sqrt(2gh_1)

Substituting g = 32 ft/s^2 and h_1 = 5 ft.

v_2 = sqrt(2*(32 ft/s^2)*(5 ft)) = 17.9 ft/s.

This is the final solution. If the book falls off the shelf, it will reach 17.9 ft/s just before it hits the ground. Solving this problem also gave us a very useful equation: v_2 = sqrt(2gh_1). This equation can be applied for any object on any planet. However, it will not apply for any height. You may have noticed that it only considers the effects of gravity and ignores air resistance. Thus, this equation wouldn't work for objects like a piece of paper that are strongly affected by air resistance. It also wouldn't work for an object that was high enough up that it reached terminal velocity before it hit the ground. It works for ideal situations in which things like air resistance isn't an issue. However, there are many situations that are very close to ideal. It can be used to get a very close approximation for objects that are dense enough that air resistance isn't a major factor and are low enough that terminal velocity isn't an issue. Thus, it will be useful for most everyday situations.

It would also be pretty easy to solve if the book had an initial velocity. Perhaps counterintuitively, it doesn't matter whether that initial velocity is up or down because velocity is squared. You can understand this pretty simply. If the book is thrown down so it has initial velocity downward, the book will have a higher velocity when it hits the ground. If the book is thrown upward, then the book will go up for a while and then fall down from a higher height. This equation allows us to see that, so long as the magnitude of the velocity is equal, the direction doesn't matter.

The units for energy are Joules. 1 J = 1 N * m = 1 kg * m^2 / s^2.

I should probably stop there before I run away into work, calculus, kinematics, and a gazillion other things that are related to this concept. Hopefully this made some sense and wasn't too boring or difficult to understand.
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
-->
@Theweakeredge
im still in highschl as well 

if ive learned anything from my life it'd be to always be the reason for  your own happiness 

relying on others for your entire happiness will only lead to depression an paranoia 

for so long in my life i spent my time trying to impress others. teachers, my parents, other kids etc. 

i was unhappy for most of my life because i never did what I wanted to do i was always sacraficing my happiness for other people

in a way i kind of had to learn to be more assertive an active in pursuing happiness

i wouldnt say im 100 % a happy go lucky person but i no longer feel depressed anymore an have become a lot more optimistic an happier as ive gotten older 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@seldiora
I ultimately agree, there might also be a problem with the updating of the laws, as well as a problem with state to state laws. What if the GPS malfunctions and it breaks a law in a state and it hasn't changed states, not to mention the overreliance on it in general. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@SirAnonymous
It went a little past my head I think, but I get the basic concept, this may be useful for my Pre-Ap Physics course! Thanks.
seldiora
seldiora
-->
@Theweakeredge
Btw how much do you know about music? Only the psychology aspect?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@skittlez09
if ive learned anything from my life it'd be to always be the reason for  your own happiness 
Eh, while agreeing that it should be one of the reasons you are happy, I think there should be other supports holding that up. If your self-esteem happens to crash, then you won't have any support structures to fall back on. I have a nice blend of making myself happy as well as finding happiness in others. 

relying on others for your entire happiness will only lead to depression an paranoia
Not necessarily, but I agree most of the time, that if you only rely on others for happiness it can lead to self-esteem issues and maybe problems with depression. Saying any mental illness is a sure-fire thing is faulty because everyone's minds works a little differently. 

for so long in my life i spent my time trying to impress others. teachers, my parents, other kids etc. 

i was unhappy for most of my life because i never did what I wanted to do i was always sacraficing my happiness for other people

in a way i kind of had to learn to be more assertive an active in pursuing happiness
Well yeah, I meant more as in forming relationships and bonds with friends, family, and partners. You aren't really seeking happiness in other people by trying to impress them you are trying to impress them. If you focus on others you can most definitively find happiness, i just don't think it should be the only source.

i wouldnt say im 100 % a happy go lucky person but i no longer feel depressed anymore an have become a lot more optimistic an happier as ive gotten older 
That's great! I'm glad you do, but you should also still get regular mental checkups, your mental health is just as important as your physical health. I also don't want you to completely throw away the notion of gaining happiness from others, as it is a really part of gaining happiness. That's how relationships work, and that's how bonds in general work. You derive happiness from the other person.

Sorry for the ranty type thing, just some notes I had on your reply. Thank you!
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@seldiora
I studied a little bit of music theory, like the tiniest, but mostly on interpretation, or yeah psychology, and some stuff on lyrics. 
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Theweakeredge
the point im tryna get at is that at the end of the day u gotta do what u gotta do to be happy 

this doesnt mean being a selfish prick who only cares about themselves. its more of just accepting the fact that not every relationship is going to work out but to not internalize things an let it corrupt u. 

i have lots of good friends an i have a bf an they make me happy. but people come an go an ive accepted that not everyone is finna be in my life forever.  and thats ok 

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@skittlez09
Oh, of course, I apologize, I must have been in debate mode! Yes I agree with all of that, I wasn't trying to be overly contentious. And I'm glad you have friends and a partner to help you out in your endeavors! That's great.
skittlez09
skittlez09
-->
@Theweakeredge
naw man its coo i didnt interpret wt u said in an agressive way hope i didnt come across like that either lmao 

also thx 
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Theweakeredge
You're welcome. Physics is a pretty intimidating subject, unless you really find it interesting. Conservation of energy is one of the best parts because of the order in which they teach it. They usually start with kinematics, which is a lot harder to use. By the time you get to energy, it seems easy by comparison.