At What Point Does the "Racism" Boogeyman Go Away?

Author: bmdrocks21

Total: 108
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
So, it has been seeming like any disparities among races are always just tossed up to "White Racism" or "Systemic Racism", and I was simply wondering, at what point do you consider minorities to be people who are responsible for their own actions?

Are we assuming that all cultures and peoples are the same and that any disparity at all is because of racism? How much disparity in SAT scores and household wealth needs to be closed before you blame individuals for making bad choices like having kids out of wedlock?

And how does this apply to disparities in which White people are lower in achievement? Asians from many cultures and countries have the highest IQ scores and earn much higher incomes than White people.

Black women are 3x more likely to die during childbirth than White women, but Hispanics are 13% less likely to die than White people. Are White women making bad health decisions and Black women are suffering from this unspeakable racism on the part of White doctors, and it is of no fault of their own?

Maybe telling people that all of their problems are because the White man is keeping people down is causing them to act irrationally. Maybe they don't try as hard to finish high school, because 'what is the point'? The evil White man will keep you from succeeding anyway.

It seems to me that removing personal agency from people is only going to cause more harm than good. You can fight the occasional racism when you find it, but it by no means is rampant like lefties try to make it out to be. 

So lefties in particular, let me in on this: At what point do you blame people over a boogeyman?
MgtowDemon
Debates: 0
MgtowDemon
-->
@bmdrocks21
I'm not a lefty but I may be able to provide valuable points to support your post.

So, it has been seeming like any disparities among races are always just tossed up to "White Racism" or "Systemic Racism", and I was simply wondering, at what point do you consider minorities to be people who are responsible for their own actions?
There is no point. "Racism" is a product of having differing non-European groups involved with other racial groups. Even in their homelands (such as Kenya), Africans still complain of other Kenyans racially discriminating against them. In Singapore, Chinese have to be legally forbidden from spreading Chinese supremacist mantra, in order to maintain the peace.

We can see this clearest through Hispanic immigrants compared to homeland Hispanics. In their homelands, Hispanics rate as one of the highest advocates for freedom of speech https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/12/americans-more-tolerant-of-offensive-speech-than-others-in-the-world/ . However, once they immigrate to America, their tune changes as "hate speech" (a.k.a. a version of racism) becomes a salient issue https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/a6ywqpe9hl/tabs_OPI_hate_crimes_20150511.pdf . If America is such a dreadful country to live in, then why no return to your homeland? When people are really oppressed, they attempt to flee their oppressors.

Worldwide, wherever there is a problem with populations that are not wholly/mostly European, "racism" is far more readily blamed than personal actions.

Are we assuming that all cultures and peoples are the same and that any disparity at all is because of racism? How much disparity in SAT scores and household wealth needs to be closed before you blame individuals for making bad choices like having kids out of wedlock?
It's fascinating that in some leftist's minds they can house this complete contradiction: cultural differences should be celebrated but cultural differences don't matter. This isn't even to delve into the fact that some cultures are objectively abhorrent, such as some parts of the extreme Islamic world wherein women are stoned to death for being raped (for dishonoring the family), or in parts of Uganda where they believe witchcraft is a real thing https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-02/witchcraft-child-sacrifice-uganda-victims/11248026 . 

Yes, there doesn't seem to be an end for the degeneracy and awful decisions the government is willing to tolerate. Kind in mind that this issue is exacerbated by the tax-payer having to prop these irresponsible people up.

And how does this apply to disparities in which White people are lower in achievement? Asians from many cultures and countries have the highest IQ scores and earn much higher incomes than White people.
A fact that I've rarely seen lefties address because it destroys their "white supremacist" narrative.

Black women are 3x more likely to die during childbirth than White women, but Hispanics are 13% less likely to die than White people. Are White women making bad health decisions and Black women are suffering from this unspeakable racism on the part of White doctors, and it is of no fault of their own?
Good point.

Maybe telling people that all of their problems are because the White man is keeping people down is causing them to act irrationally. Maybe they don't try as hard to finish high school, because 'what is the point'? The evil White man will keep you from succeeding anyway.
Learned helplessness is a pathology.

It seems to me that removing personal agency from people is only going to cause more harm than good. You can fight the occasional racism when you find it, but it by no means is rampant like lefties try to make it out to be. 
If anything, Africans and Hispanics receive, overall, favorable handouts from the government (for example, getting into universities with lower SAT scores through affirmative action) https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/12/17/affirmative-action/

Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@bmdrocks21
when attended by white physicians, Black newborns experienced 430 more deaths per 100,000 births than white newborns. But when cared for by a Black physician, the excess deaths dropped to 173 per 100,000 above that of white newborns

The data suggests that ~42% of the observed difference between white and black infant mortality is being caused by racism. It's time for those babies to shut up and start taking responsibility!
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
Maybe if the mothers gave birth with white or Hispanic brown makeup on, the babies would live.
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Death23
The data suggests that ~42% of the observed difference between white and black infant mortality is being caused by racism. It's time for those babies to shut up and start taking responsibility!
Nope. The study cited in the article is this one https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr69/NVSR-69-7-508.pdf . Control+f for "racism" and "racist", and you won't find it.

What this news article (i.e. not scientific research) has done is assumed the statistical difference is *wholly* accounted for by "racism", even though the study doesn't mention this at all. The news article has assumed that there are no other possible factors, such as difference in genetics, difference in black behaviour etc. that could account for this. Instead, it has taken *some factors*, such as "access to health care", "exposure to pollution" and "the health effects of racism" (lol, what a tautology), and bundled them into the nebulous category of "racism". It's also entirely possible that blacks are inflicting these poor health issues upon themselves by choosing to live in polluted areas, or intentionally living in areas with lower access to health. To reiterate, this isn't the scientific paper which is producing these conclusions, but rather the news article rushing to a conclusion without controlling for variables.

This is sufficient to dismiss your sarcastic remark as juvenile inaccuracy.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@MgtowDemon
There is no point. "Racism" is a product of having differing non-European groups involved with other racial groups. Even in their homelands (such as Kenya), Africans still complain of other Kenyans racially discriminating against them. In Singapore, Chinese have to be legally forbidden from spreading Chinese supremacist mantra, in order to maintain the peace.

Precisely. Multiculturalism brings on a ton of problems to little benefit. As you increase the perceived differences among people and there is any different in outcomes, there is going to be a scapegoat.

And when you bring people with different values, cultures, and languages to another country, you are much more likely to have wide disparities. Some cultures don't value delayed gratification, but Asians do a lot, which is obvious from their high savings rates. Delayed gratification is associated with success, so you are stuck with two options: blame people for doing something good that others don't do, or blame people for not making wiser decisions.

It's fascinating that in some leftist's minds they can house this complete contradiction: cultural differences should be celebrated but cultural differences don't matter. This isn't even to delve into the fact that some cultures are objectively abhorrent, such as some parts of the extreme Islamic world wherein women are stoned to death for being raped (for dishonoring the family), or in parts of Uganda where they believe witchcraft is a real thing https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-02/witchcraft-child-sacrifice-uganda-victims/11248026 . 

Yes, there doesn't seem to be an end for the degeneracy and awful decisions the government is willing to tolerate. Kind in mind that this issue is exacerbated by the tax-payer having to prop these irresponsible people up.
That is a really good point. They put so much weight on not "culturally appropriating" and how you aren't allowed to critique other peoples' cultures, yet they do then act like they have no consequences. Even speaking a different language can greatly affect your perception. They studied languages and determined that it is powerful in determining how you deal with abstract issues and shaping habitual thought (like perceptions of time). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0010028501907480

Think of how damaging it must be for kids growing up in a household where "ebonics" is the norm. It is improper English, which will lead to worse school grades. Who knows what other cognitive effects might results from it?

Learned helplessness is a pathology.

The word I was thinking about the whole post. You teach people that things are hopeless and they stop trying. I would personally believe that if you are an authority figure and tell kids that no matter what they do, they will never succeed, they will be inclined to believe you.

If you say that until reparations, they will never be able to succeed, do you think they will even try until they get reparations? Most probably won't.

If anything, Africans and Hispanics receive, overall, favorable handouts from the government (for example, getting into universities with lower SAT scores through affirmative action) https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/12/17/affirmative-action/

It breaks down acceptance rate by MCAT and GPA by race.

An MCAT between 24-26 and GPA between 3.2-3.39, Asian acceptance is 6% and Black acceptance is 56%!

If diversity is our strength, why do they need to alter acceptance rates so blatantly? Why did California's Supreme Court lower Bar score requirements to diversify the law profession(supposedly because of COVID, but then why would it be permanent?)? This article found that the permanent 50 point deduction in score would only lower the racial disparity by 2.7% https://www.law.com/therecorder/2020/10/19/study-lower-bar-exam-cut-score-wont-solve-californias-attorney-diversity-problem/?slreturn=20201018201227

In the end, medical and legal malpractice will just hurt all of us. 

Thanks for the well-backed post, bruh.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@Death23

The authors use the State of Florida’s Agency for Healthcare Administration data on births between 1992 and 2015. This data, notably, contains details about the race of patients but not of doctors. This seems like a pretty big deal! If the paper is meant to test the effect of racial concordance, I’d hope the authors knew what the race of the doctor was.
Here’s how the authors got around this problem: They used the doctors’ names and searched them up on various health websites like vitals.com and healthgrades.com. We can be pretty sure these really are the doctors in the dataset, because the researchers matched doctors’ license numbers, and affiliations. They then downloaded photos of every doctor. Here’s where bias may start to creep in: of the 9,992 doctors in their sample, only 8,045 had readily available photos....

The researchers assume physician-patient pairing is quasi-randomized — or that which doctors patients get are not “chosen”, but dictated by the doctor who happens to be on call. Is this justified? The authors don’t get into it. It could be the case, for example, that wealthier black mothers choose black doctors at higher rates — and their wealth is a predictor of mortality in and of itself. 

Mortality of infants is linked to their attending physician. Medicine is a team sport, and there are teams of nurses, other physicians, and administrators who all play a role in the outcome of a patient. Do we have good evidence that an individual physician has such an outsize impact on their team?

Do we trust that the physician listed is even the person with primary responsibility for patient care? One doctor in Vinay’s thread says that “one hospital where I worked all infants had the medical director listed. Another it was the admitting doc. Could be paediatrician after discharge.” In other words, we have no guarantee that the patient of record the authors used was even the person who looked after the birth.

Finally, the biggest critique: are there systemic differences in which doctors look after infants with higher mortality risk? Is it the case, for example, that ICU pediatricians are disproportionately white? In this case, we’d expect white doctors to on average have higher mortality, because they’re on average looking at tougher cases. Selection bias matters!

Additionally, I’d like the point out that the researchers didn’t use their data to look at disparities across other racial groups. As far as I can tell, the only thing they looked at was black patients and black infants. Suppose we found that black infants had worse outcomes with middle eastern or east asian doctors as well? Would we be as quick as to leap towards a racial bias narrative? What if we found that white infants had worse outcomes when treated by south asian doctors?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Death23

I see... It appears George Wallace was right! "Segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!"

But I would be interested to see what other circumstances were at play. They say it is a "complicated question". They don't say if White babies are more likely to survive when cared for by Black doctors. There isn't any other breakdown by race to compare it to. Maybe the death rate is even higher under Asian doctors because they are more qualified and only take on emergency cases? I don't know.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot

I see... It appears George Wallace was right! "Segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!"

Death23
Death23
-->
@bmdrocks21
@MgtowDemon
Obviously other factors can be in play and the situation merits further investigation, but who has time for that? Causation is much more difficult to prove then causation, but I can't think of a better explanation for the observed correlation than racism. Well, someone else can do the work because I'm too lazy to find out. BTW the cited study was https://www.pnas.org/content/117/35/21194 It's behind a paywall. Anyone got the pirated version?
Conway
Conway
They have evidence that certain hospitals are letting people die, but don't have a map to show you which ones????
Death23
Death23
-->
@Conway
I got a new theory. The black doctors in America are mostly brain drained from Africa and end up working at the best hospitals because them being black makes them more desireable job applicants as there's a high demand for token blacks. Now the data on infant mortality rates gets skewed because most of the black babies being cared for by black doctors are only the ones in the best hospitals. Just really talking out of my ass and got nothing to back it up.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
What's with the barbershop quartet? XD
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Death23
I have access to Google Scholar for the study
MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@Death23
Obviously other factors can be in play and the situation merits further investigation, but who has time for that?
'I can't be bothered to conduct proper research, therefore racism'.

LOL

Causation is much more difficult to prove then causation, but I can't think of a better explanation for the observed correlation than racism. Well, someone else can do the work because I'm too lazy to find out.
If you can't be bothered to make proper arguments, then please refrain from polluting the website with quarter-baked nonsense.

BTW the cited study was https://www.pnas.org/content/117/35/21194 It's behind a paywall. Anyone got the pirated version?
Actually, this study doesn't support the article's title/your argument (racism affecting black infant mortality rates, whereas this one deals with amount of pain perception of blacks by whites), hence it isn't the main one they are referring to.

Fyi this is the worst post I've seen on this website so far.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
It's racist.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Death23
Do you want me to paste the whole study?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@MgtowDemon
Hey now, play nice. Death is a pretty cool dude.
Death23
Death23
-->
@MgtowDemon
You're primed for internet battle. A challenger approaches. This one's got it coming, that's for sure, and it's gonna feel good. Round 1- FIGHT! To the victor go the spoils. Feel that aggression pumping through your veins. Let it loose!

You know I got called in for jury duty once. I was in the jury box. The case was about a bar fight. The prosecuting attorney asked us "Do any of you think violence is an acceptable way to resolve your differences?" I raised my hand and he inquired further. I explained that "well, if they both agree to it, then that's their business." The next thing that happend was "Your honor, the people thank and excuse juror number 11." The court: "See you at the dueling hill Mr. [redacted]".
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@bmdrocks21

So lefties in particular, let me in on this: At what point do you blame people over a boogeyman?
The "boogeyman" as you put it has persisted this long because partisan dialogue often involve juxtapositions between corporate designations. "Black," "White," "Hispanic," and "Asian," etc. are no more than government assignments which bear no cultural or racial information. Furthermore, mainstream media as well as public education has been successful in inculcating minorities, especially so-called, "Blacks," with victim mentalities. When will this stop? When so-called minorities stop seeking reprieve and validation from their so-called "oppressors" and the so-called oppressors stop acting like guilt-ridden despots. Minorities are not the children of so-called Whites, and yet there's this odd paternalistic-infantilistic dynamic.

MgtowDemon
MgtowDemon
-->
@bmdrocks21
Death is a pretty cool dude.
Maybe, but his argument here was truly dreadful and a waste of everyone's time.

Death23
Death23
-->
@bmdrocks21
To answer your question, assigning blame for someone's lot in life is something that's difficult to do. Some cases it's obvious, but you still have to know someone's past reasonably well to see it. If I see someone do nothing to improve his life, try to help him to get something going, and then he continues to do nothing to improve himself, then I generally blame him.

There is some relevance in policy making. Being born black is not like being born without a right arm, but it sets you back and there is evidence supporting that. Leveling the playing field is important, even though life will never be fair. It should be a significant policy priority because it impacts a substantial segment of the population.
Death23
Death23
-->
@MgtowDemon
Isn't wasting time what people do here? I mean, it's somewhat of a pastime for me.
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@bmdrocks21
Hello there, if you're interested we can discuss one point of systemic racism, that I think exists. This avoids the obvious problem of gish galloping in a discussion like this.

I firmly believe that black people are discriminated against in the courts, as I shall justify below.

The 2012 Booker report found that, all else equal, black people were sentenced 20.4 percent longer than white people. Whenever I argue this I always hear people reference repeat offences, well luckily this report accounts for this stating that the gap between whit and black offenders fell from 20.7 percent to 20.4 percent after taking this into consideration.

If you have any grievances with my data, or you have good counter data, I would be happy to hear it.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Death23
I think that if anything has become obvious over the past few decades, it is that simply cutting people a check does nothing to increase their position in life.

It doesn't encourage smart spending and saving habits, it doesn't encourage them to invest in themselves to acquire new skills, and our unemployment system's check for "searching for employment" is a joke. 

We have given all poor people, disproportionately Black, everything they need to live: food, education, and housing. Outside of providing those opportunities, I don't think there is much more to be done. We blame the schools, but at some point underperforming groups need to look in the mirror: what does the home life look like, what kind of behavior does your subculture encourage, and what kinds of role models do you have?

Those are all problem areas with the Black community as I see it: over 70% born out of wedlock many of which end up being single-parent households with no male role model. A culture that glorifies gangsters. And the deification of drug addict career criminal, George Floyd, reflects that.

So really, what kinds of policies do you think would actually target them well? Because policies can't change cultures, and they can only do so much to resolve single parenthood.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Trent0405
Well I would like to go one point at a time to make sure we don't get gallop-y

It says in that report that women of all races got shorter sentences than White men. Do you think that our country suffers from systemic sexism as well?
Death23
Death23
-->
@bmdrocks21
Food, education, housing and healthcare are basic needs. SNAP is good for food. There is public education up to high school. College, I think, could definitely use some improvements, as could housing assistance. Healthcare access to the very poor was greatly expanded by the medicaid expansion, but it's patchwork mostly because many states didn't elect to expand it there.

I don't view cultural regulation as hopeless, and I think it may be something we shouldn't be afraid of. Though, in fairness, there shouldn't be any targeting of particular cultures. Rather, there should be comprehensive evaluation of the cultures and identifying areas which can be improved upon. What is "good" or "bad" usually just relating to the consequences, I guess.

I'll think more about policy solutions. I haven't much of that, though, I'm thinking you may wish to reconsider your position of just giving people free money. There are studies on basic income. I haven't read too much in to it though.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Trent0405
I firmly believe that black people are discriminated against in the courts...

What is the exact shade of skin where a person has a superior outcome in all situations?
Death23
Death23
-->
@bmdrocks21
You may be interested in the Moynihan Report, and perhaps http://www.csvr.org.za/docs/study/6.TAV_final_report_13_03_10.pdf

I'm imagining that the latter study is interesting because it was conducted by a government run by black people. I'm also imagining that the violence issues in the USA are having similar causes.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
At What Point Does the "Racism" Boogeyman Go Away?
How    Long   Is    a    Piece   of   String?