Abortion

Author: Checkmate

Total: 37
Checkmate
Debates: 2
Checkmate
-->
@ethang5
I was banking on normal people, who think murder is wrong, to reply to me. I guess you can conclude that abortion is right if you also believe murder is right. However, I can say that the average pro-choice believes murder is wrong.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Checkmate
Fair enough.

But what this tells me is that you can only "debunk" arguments that agree with your moral code in the first place. Against a person who thinks abortion is NOT murder, you have no argument regardless of whether he thinks murder is wrong.

What you call "debunks" are just you stating your opinion which differs from theirs.
Checkmate
Checkmate
-->
@ethang5
Well no. 

The usual pro-choice individuals believes murder is wrong but simply believes that abortion is not murder. There's a difference. I can debunk people who think abortion is not murder and also that murder is wrong, but I cannot speak to a person who believes murder is right and abortion is right. 
ethang5
ethang5
....but I cannot speak to a person who believes murder is right and abortion is right. 
Just as I said. If you can only debunk arguments that already accept your moral code, that isn't much of a debunking is it?

Incidently, you believe murder is wrong, do you know WHY it's wrong? Just curious.

OK, let's see you debunk the pro-choice individual who believes murder is wrong, but simply believes that abortion is not murder. How is abortion murder?

Checkmate
Checkmate
-->
@ethang5
According to Princetone.edu, life begins "when a sperm fertilizes an oocyte and together they form a zygote". Therefore, ending the life of a fetus, which has already gone through this stage and is alive, can be considered killing a human being. 

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Checkmate
How does this show abortion is murder?

Is the state executing a mass murderer wrong?
Was an American soldier killing a Nazi in WWII wrong?
Is a man defending his child from a killer by killing the attacker wrong?

Obviously to you, murder is not always wrong. When is it wrong and when is it not wrong? And if there are times murder is not wrong, what is the objective rule that shows murder wrong for abortion but not wrong for the other clear cases of murder?

If you think murder is sometimes not wrong, then calling abortion murder does not necessarily mean abortion is wrong. Your core point here is to call abortion immoral, not just to call it murder, unless you want to call all heads of states, soldiers, prison officials, and self-defense murderers.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Checkmate
Okay I'm speedrunning this whole, "getting back to first in most active forum posters" but lets get to the barbones of my prochoice argument.

A woman has rights over their body.
A fetus may or may have those rights.

If the fetus doesn't then, that means abortions all a-okay!
If the fetus does, then that means you are comparing the mother's rights to te fetus's rights.

Do fetuses have the right to force a mother to literally be apart of them, hold them, inside of their body? No, no they do not, that would be extra rights, granted to the fetus. Theres a lot more than that, but that's the bare bones point.