-->
@MarkWebberFan
So, what makes Singapore 3rd world?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Just looking at your sourced survey, I conclude the following based on actual population data, and what data can be gleaned from the report:
1. In 1944, the overall population of the US was 138M people, represented by 300 civilians in the survey
2. In 1944, the military population of the US was 12.5M people, represented by 850 officers and enlisted in the survey.
3. Per statistical norms, the civilian pop [1] should be represented by a minimum of 1,068 sample pop. for min statistical accuracy at a Margin of Error [moe] of ±3.0%
4.Per statistical norms, the military [2] should be represented by a minimum of 1,067 sample pop. for min statistical accuracy at an moe of ±3.0%

Therefore:
5. The sample pop's used were insufficient for both sub-groups [civilian and military] to achieve minimum statistical accuracy
6. The survey offers no data on the moe actually used - a major flaw resulting in apparent failure to achieve minimum statistical accuracy.
7. I see no actual summary of statistical data at all, just a verbal report. 

Conclusion: An unsatisfactory report. Somebody needed a statistician among the committee members, but apparently thought it unnecessary. Therefore, I consider the report a dud, and should have been strapped to either "Fat Man" or "Little Boy" before it was issued
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@MarkWebberFan
Ever been to Singapore? Hardly "third world." In fact, they do not allow sales of chewing gum in-country, nor do they allow spitting on the sidewalk [particularly with chewing gum]. I call Singapore the Asian Disneyland, because it is a scrubbed, squeaky-clean, Disney version of Asia-as-Disney-Main Street. Don't get me wrong, I like the place. Never been in a place so full of restaurants from a myriad of countries. I've been there many times. On one trip, I spent 6 weeks on the island [about 12 mi square], and never ate at the same restaurant. During one trip, a disrespectful American teen vandalized a bunch of cars with a spray paint can, was found, arrested, tried and sentenced to incarceration and caning. Oue State Department bitterly complained about the sentence, even thought the kid's passport, and mine, said clearly that we are subject to the local laws of countries we enter. The kid deserved his punishment, and I guaranteed it was a good post-deterent. On another visit of three weeks, one the same day as my arrival, a hooker from Hong Kong was arrested at the airport for possession of 1 kilo of heroine. She was charged, tried, convicted, sentenced to death, and was executed within 2.5 weeks of the occurrence. Brutal? Maybe, but Singapore does not have our drug problem. Gee, I wonder why?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to "end WWII" or at least Japan's side in it. It is often presented as a dichotomy of interests: To end hundreds o
The reports of these bombings that were delivered to the Japanese Imperial Command at the time did not attract any special attention.

The number of people killed by the "A" bomb was roughly equivalent to a "standard" bombing-raid.

In fact, the Japanese Imperial Command didn't even know (or care) what type of bomb(s) were used.

Significantly more people were killed in the fire-bombing of Tokyo (a war-crime that specifically targeted civilians).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
The concept of free speech was conceived and developed in a non-secular countries.
You are correct.

It was originally called, "heresy".

We changed it to "free speech" later on to make it seem a bit friendlier.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
There are other reports cited as apart of the survey as well as more linked text, perhaps I can buy that the survey itself doesn't fit statistical perviews, but its not like their is contradicting evidence to this report, at least not that I can find. Not to mention I have yet to see you cite anything that would actually substantiate your claims, now, this isn't me saying that your wrong per se, but I would like to see some sort of reference for your guidelines and the specifics of your claims
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you have any evidence for this claim? Because this is an assertion without evidence on your part so far
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
Japan surrendered because the Soviet Union entered the war [August 8, 1945]. Japanese leaders said the bomb forced them to surrender because it was less embarrassing to say they had been defeated by a miracle weapon [August 6th and 9th, 1945]. Americans wanted to believe it, and the myth of nuclear weapons was born.

Look at the facts.

The United States bombed 68 cities in the summer of 1945. If you graph the number of people killed in all 68 of those attacks, you imagine that Hiroshima is off the charts, because that’s the way it’s usually presented. In fact, Hiroshima is second. Tokyo, a conventional attack, is first in the number killed. If you graph the number of square miles destroyed, Hiroshima is sixth. If you graph the percentage of the city destroyed, Hiroshima is 17th. [**]
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Well thank you, I never said I disagreed, in fact the report I posted agrees with you in terms of pointing out that the Japanese would have surrendered regardless of the bomb, I just wanted specific sources for the claims you made.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
I admire your skepticism.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
That's how I try to work, with any claim I make to be substantiated if it hasn't already been done so. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
If the bombs were dropped as a demonstration of their capability, why were they not targeted on some uninhabited island off the Japanese coast or something?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
If the bombs were dropped as a demonstration of their capability, why were they not targeted on some uninhabited island off the Japanese coast or something?
Great question.

Perhaps they were a DEMONSTRATION of how many civilians the USA is willing to slaughter.

Sir, put down your weapon, or else this sleepy fishing village go bye-bye.
ImminentDownfall
ImminentDownfall
I am currently, in high school, and am taught many good things about my country. I am taught about the men who fought to end slavery, the people who fought for our freedom against the British, our perseverance through several hard times, and much more.

But I am also taught the dark side of history. I am taught about the genocide against the Native Americans, the battles we fought with them (Justified or not), taking over Cuba after promising freedom that we decided not to give right away, the horrendous things we did to the Filipinos, and much, much more.

I am taught two sides of the same coin. I love my country and its history and am sorry for other parts of it.

7 days later

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
The Chinese history textbook is biased too. Every flaw it has done since the creation of New China, however big, was just mentioned and passed in one or two paragraphs. Glory events the same size would deserve a whole chapter.