Faith also applies to atheism

Author: Benjamin

Total: 41
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Benjamin
Faith is separated into two definitions because the word is used differently in religious contexts than it is in colloquial contexts. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Benjamin
Wrong, as I have pointed out numerous times, you entire - "Atheists have a lack of faith" is not only a strawman but also assumes the existence of god... if you considered points individually you would see that.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Benjamin
 think we are all confused, at this point
No, I think you are the one who is confused specifically

Benjamin
Debates: 79
Benjamin
-->
@Theweakeredge

Wrong, as I have pointed out numerous times, you entire - "Atheists have a lack of faith" is not only a strawman but also assumes the existence of god... if you considered points individually you would see that.
Do you not understand what I am saying?

Atheism: Lack of faith in God or gods
I disagree with that definition, but Sum1hugme wanted to use it in my debate.

Do we both agree that definition is incorrect?

I believe this is more apropriate:
Atheism:    a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods         https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism
Do we both agree the second part of this is better?

My position was always that theism was the belief, strong or weak, in a creator God, 
that atheism was the belief, strong or weak, in the nonexistance of a creator God,
and that agnosticism was a state, in which one had refused to believe any of them.

Faith, is not "religious apprehension", as another bad definition told me, but it was "the unproven truts on which ones world view is built"

Do we actually agree?
Tarik
Debates: 0
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
Depends on what side of things you're looking at.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Benjamin
From the American Atheists website:
Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Imagine writing 1,000 words and starting a whole new thread to crack the deep philosophical insight that trusting other people is a generic human trait.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
Always does.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Maybe the atheist would more accurately be said to have faith in their own understanding rather than faith that God doesn't exist.

Benjamin
Debates: 79
Benjamin
-->
@Mopac
Yes, a good idea.

Except, the definition makes it seem like faith is always a result of religious apprehension, and never proof (we have never proven the mind exists btw)
Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
-->
@Benjamin
I agree