Should Gay people be privileged?

Author: Benjamin

Total: 89
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
You mean like slavery and forced indentured servitude like the US with cotton, agriculture, rail roads and such? Still using it today with illegal immigration.  Let's talk about the killing of the Native Americans and Africans for sport. Let's talk about the complete annihilation of native religions in Europe buy Catholics.  
Well stated.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Benjamin
Secularism is a natural result of a west that was freed by Christianity. Under no other religion has secularism succeded.
Actually the Founders who insisted on secularism were not all Christian.  And the nations doing better than the US today have little to no religion in the public sector period. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Either gays should have the same protection as others, or they should have more protection than others, but to have it both ways is oxymoronic. C'mon, man. You're better than that.
Benjamin
Debates: 92
Benjamin
Actually the Founders who insisted on secularism were not all Christian.
They were not all theological christians. But if you regard Christian as "one who believes in the Christian values" - then every founder was Christian.

And the nations doing better than the US today have little to no religion in the public sector period. 
Wait, are you saying USA today is better today? NO! The USA was the best country to live in, period. This was true at least the 200 first years following their Christian constitution.

Secularism: the division between church and state, was a Christian idea, though the roman empire destroyed that initial idea by adopting Christianity as state religion after persecuting Christians and killing them for 300 years.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Wrong, they should have equal rights as others, to have more protection simply means that they are more targeted than average, for example: Whenever people, police, or even the lecturers who teach about sexual harassment do anything though of course they have things about males and give them protection, but far more is allocated to girls because they are much more likely to be sexually harrassed. It is a place of emphasis.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Benjamin
They were not all theological christians. But if you regard Christian as "one who believes in the Christian values" - then every founder was Christian.
Christian values existed before Christ you don't get to own all the religious concepts ever cause you god is the newest. 
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Christian values existed before Christ
No, then they would not be called Christian.

Tell me what values you talk about, are you only talking about basic morality? Like, people did not allow murder even before Christ was born?

you don't get to own all the religious concepts ever cause you god is the newest. 
I have only mentioned one:

"We believe that all men are created equal, and bestowed upon by the creator certain inalienable rights - among them ..."
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
Christian values existed before Christ you don't get to own all the religious concepts ever cause you god is the newest. 
Well stated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Benjamin
This was true at least the 200 first years following their Christian constitution.
Citation requested for "Christian constitution", please.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Wrong. To have equal rights does not alter because one is targeted more or less than others. Equality implies that protection is equal regardless of frequency, intensity, or any other  'y' one can apply to any greater or lesser degree across the entire spectrum of protection. The protection increases or lesses in equal protective force for all needing it.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Except... there is a distinction between protection and rights, there is a base line protection that your rights gurantee you, I am just saying that there should be extra emphasis, a bit more, on groups which are targeted. Such as females are in sexual harrasment. You are assuming that protection is equal, which its not, there is a base line - and that should be equal, but obviously, babies have more protection than a 25 year old, because the minimum protection for babies to thrive, is higher than it is for your average 25 year old. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
No exception. I did not say that protection is equal, i.e., the same level of protection across the board for all players. The protection fluctuates according to need, individually, therefore, all are protected, by constitutional decree, to the degree necessary based on what situational forces oppose. That is the true understanding of due process. Due process, as each individual requires; some less, some more, but all equally protected according to their need.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
The problem may be the language. There are protected classes who are subject to harassment, bigotry and are hindered. Privilege is different. Christians tend to have privilege. 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Benjamin
Christianity, which appeared in the first century, was considered another version of Judaism. In the vast pagan ocean, which extends to the Roman Empire , the early Christians were seen only as a group of Jewish sects who failed to establish their kingdom at the hands of their leader (the Savior), who rebelled against the Roman state, so he was punished like one. Christianity crystallized in the form of an independent religion and doctrine separate from Judaism only after passing through Egypt, which gave it three of the most important components, The Cross, Trinity and Religious Order.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Then you agree with me, whenever an entire group is more need of protection, they have more protection than say, someone who isn't apart of that group in categories... you ultimately agree, you want to be pedantic about the wording is all - that is not equal protection, period, its equal in the sense that it is supposed to protect according to need... but that doesn't work out all the time....see police brutality.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
However, your original question defeats you. privilege implies "more," when the right already enforces it. Therefore, the "privilege" is not needed. If the police overstep their bounds, you have legal recourse.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Christians tend to have privilege. 

What? Give me any more information?

If by privilege you mean better lives, are you claiming that Christians are given more opportunities or are you claiming that Christians make better decisions?

Benjamin
Benjamin
I want to tell everyone, stop faking "Christian" history. If you have no education about it stop spreading supposedly correct information that somehow only non-Christians have access to.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Benjamin

If by privilege you mean better lives, are you claiming that Christians are given more opportunities or are you claiming that Christians make better decisions?
I mean Christians have better opportunities because they are everywhere and not only reward Christians but oppose other faiths from participating. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Except... I made the contention that they should have equal rights, just that they should have more protection, which I guess is extra privilege? But not how the OG poster asked it, considering that everyone who needs more protection should get it, it isn't really a privilege, which is basically what I said. I didn't make this topic, nor ask the question
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
...considering that everyone who needs more protection should get it...
Well stated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Benjamin
Christians tend to have privilege. 
Yeah, they get into all the best after-life clubs.
Benjamin
Benjamin
May I come with a suggestion:

All people have the same rights to protection - that means that all people should have a certain level of security

Groups that are targeted are in bigger danger and needs more protection

But ultimately, everyone has the same level of security - more treaths mean more protection so it balances out.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Sorry, I didn't check the origin of the string, and thought you had.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Its all good, just pointing that out
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Agreed, no prob. Unfortunately, I've already received an acceptance on the debate [ didn't expect it so soon], but, please do comment as it proceeds. For practicality, as it may influence the debate, should you comment, I may reply by way pf PM rather than in comments.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Mmmhm
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Benjamin
The Onion(where you got that story from) makes sarcastic, stupid, funny videos.  You shouldn’t take them seriously.  They are making a joke.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@TheUnderdog
I know