Antitheist AMA

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 351
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
That the belief system being addressed are fundamentally different, morality and evolution that is - technically, a materialist or a naturalists world view is based on fundamental truths, or scientific principles, and that is what I was referring to, these fundamental truths as opposed to the next two words, "or propositions" which refers to worldviews like morality.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
Objectivity is a subjective assumption.....In my opinion.

And if we dispute the meaning of words, then anything might or might not mean anything....Take morality for example.
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
That the belief system being addressed are fundamentally different, morality and evolution that is
Last time I checked the belief system being addressed over the course of this discussion was morality I said nothing of the sort about evolution.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
Well I guess we’ll never know unless we dispute, so that’s why I do it because I want answers.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Did you... ignore my point? The entire purpose was to explain the definition of principle and what I was referring to, I was using a distinction in order to strengthen the poignantcy of my line of reasoning. Was "what does evolution have to do with this" all you got? I answered your criticism of my use of principle. Next?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
Did you... ignore my point?
I’m still trying to figure out what that is.

The entire purpose was to explain the definition of principle and what I was referring to
You referred to evolution, everything was a blur from there.

I was using a distinction in order to strengthen the poignantcy of my line of reasoning.
Well it didn’t work.

You’ve completely lost me here so let’s backtrack, are you willing to retract this evolution point from your previous argument or at the very least rethink your premise?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
No, that was an example of what one of the roots of principle could be, referring to the scientific or "fundamental" truths that it refers to as opposed to the "or propositions" You seem to be purposely obtuse here. Evolution being used as an example literally doesn't matter, you didn't even read what I was talking about, for the third time, if your take away was, "Evolution? Whaaa?" Then you need to relearn how to identify the main idea of a passage. Not to mention, you brought this entire "evolution" (and when i say brought up, I don't mean the first one to mention it, that was me, you were the first one to make it a main topic of discussion), as a red herring, or will you finally address the points I brought up? From posts #59 and #61
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
Fine if that’s not the main idea then I guess it’s fair if I ignore it completely (considering I can’t figure it out and you’re tired of explaining it). I’ll move on to what you said here.

Now, it could be asserted that, based on a definition of principle: "A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning." that I'm wrong
Now correct me if I’m wrong but wrong about what exactly? Morality being subjective?

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
I was referring to myself, hence the use of the pronoun, "I", and yes. You could construe that definition in a way that would be opposite the conclusion I reached. That conclusion being, "Principles used to affirm morality are subjective".
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
And the opposite conclusion being principles used to affirm morality are objective?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
No.... the opposite conclusion that they are not used to affirm subjective principle, there is a slight difference, as semantically-inclined as you are I thought you would appreciate it
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
What’s not used? Please reword the conclusion.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
That principles are not used to affirm subjective morality.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
Okay so what is subjective morality? Because disagree or not you know what objective morality is.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
As I have already defined - subjective in this context is referring to something which depends on the mind or an individual's perspective for existence, so subjective morality is morality that is dependent on the mind or an individual's perspective for existence. Think in terms of social constructs. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
But whose to say social constructs is “moral” who’s the ultimate judge of that?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Are you asking what I use as my standard of morailty? I've already explained that, well-being, or if you like, "Something which positively benefits the mental and physical state of someone."
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
But whose to say what is and isn’t positive who’s the ultimate judge of that?
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Tarik
But whose to say what is and isn’t positive who’s the ultimate judge of that?
Mankind
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@FLRW
But isn’t it very much possible that mankind can be wrong? I’m sure you’ll feel that way if mankind were all religious.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
I would suggest that you already have a fixed opinion, on a great many things.

I don't think it's answers that you are looking for.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
By the empirical results? Why are you so against mankind making its own moral creed, why are you so against principles which probably align with a lot of your own? Because so far - you've yet to strike it in any critical critereon. Don't get me wrong, this argument is by no means perfect, and there are flaws - people have criticized my take before, but they always hit much harder than you are now - attacking much more contingent points - in fact - I even pointed you to a source with nearly 30 to 40 posts of direct criticism, and though we have gone back forth for hundreds of posts I believe he attacked it on much more fronts, and much more effectively than you did. I gave you the link to my "Moral subjectivist AMA" forum, did you not look at that either? To me personally - it seems as if your objection with this morality is your bias towards god.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
Well since you know me better then I know myself please pray tell what I’m looking for?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
I don't know you, and I don't know if they're correct, but if I were to guess? I'd say you were looking for affirmation of your own belief by trying to discard others.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
To me personally - it seems as if your objection with this morality is your bias towards god.

That would be correct although bias isn’t a term I would use, but why does it seem that way (even though I already confirmed your correct in your assumption)?

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Theweakeredge
I am trying to figure out what "personal control" means. I suppose it means self-control, but I'm not sure.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'd say you were looking for affirmation of your own belief by trying to discard others.
True and hopefully that affirmation is the answer.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tarik
Um... the fact that you have, repeatedly, asserted that the only way there can be morals is with god... .and you have yet to substantiate that claim
Jasmine
Debates: 4
Jasmine
Were you raised theist? If so, what religion and what made you change your beliefs?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Theweakeredge
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, you wouldn’t be asking me to substantiate anything if we agreed on what morality was, I’m asking the questions I’m asking with the hopes of you seeing that morality isn’t subjective and if you can see that then what you ask of me will be answered.