trump shouldn't have been impeached today

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 89
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@n8nrgmi
if liberals were serious about what they're talkin about with this incitement stuff... they'd be talkin about criminal penalties against trump.
two things: 

1) he is a sitting president. So he can't be charged with a crime right now. It is entirely possible that charges are waiting for him on the 21st for his numerous crimes. Although it is still unclear if any prosecutor would choose to go after a former president. It would be highly unusual. 
2) that is up to a prosecutor, not congress. Congress doesn't decide on criminal charges. So saying why aren't liberals talking about criminal charges is pointless, because they have nothing to do with criminal charges. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
 Peace and patriotism are not offensive, period.
no one ever said they were. But lies, slander and incitement to riot very much are. 

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@ILikePie5
Since within 100 days, Kammie is going to engage the 25th against Biden, I don't think the GOP should act against Kammie because she will likely stall on appointing a VP, and then Pelostomy would be the President replacing Kammie. That's not an improvement
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@FLRW
The remarkable timing of President Trump’s impeachment trial is driven in part by Senate rules. A trial must begin at 1 p.m. the day after the Senate receives the article of impeachment. But the Senate won’t be in session to receive the articles until Jan. 19. Although Democrats want to move up that date, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has refused.
Even if he wanted to, he couldn’t. Per Senate Rules you need unanimous consent. I can name a couple of Senators that singlehandedly could object.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
) he is a sitting president. So he can't be charged with a crime right now
Who says? DOJ policy? pfffttt. The Constitution, Article I, section 3, clause 7, read correctly, says otherwise.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@fauxlaw
Progressives are already against the Biden Relief package because it’s only 1400 instead of 2000
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
But lies, slander and incitement to riot very much are. 
Lying may be offensive, but it's not illegal. Lying and perjury are not the same. Therefore regardless of someone being offended, they have that right, but their legal and ethical actions are limited.
Slander is not slander, and, therefore, not illegal if the statements made are true,  regardless of someone being offended.
Incitement to riot is not proven, merely charged, and not criminally, therefore, though some may have been offended, it's not a crime until convicted.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ILikePie5
SloJoe will cave.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@fauxlaw
SloJoe will cave.
15 dollar minimum wage. Talk about killing legislation. Fucker isn’t even in office and is playing politics to force the GOP to filibuster the bill 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Tradesecret
Thanks for that detailed reply.

I agree that anonymous affidavits are not sworn testimony.  They could however  be used as evidence if the person is prepared to enter the court room.  The question in my mind is why are they afraid to put their name to the statement? Plausibly because they are afraid of the consequences of telling the truth.  

More plausibly because they were all composed by Giuliani trying to falsify an appearance of many complaints instead of the paltry few he actually submitted.  Old lawyer trick.

Hearsay generally speaking is not evidence about what happened - unless of course it is used in a sex case or a DV case - where the testimony is provided by someone who is credible. It is not always thrown out. Often the case is that the victim won't speak out - but the person of 1st report is considered admissible hearsay. 
Hearsay is rumor.  When these judges toss out claims as hearsay upon hearsay they mean "a rumor of a rumor"

No one can make a determination that a statement is not sworn testimony.  Who would have that authority? Judges might disagree with the sworn testimony- but this would not determine it was not sworn testimony.   Affidavits are evidence per se  and if sworn are sworn testimony. 
Affidavits are the vehicle of sworn testimony.

For the record - how many actual sworn affidavits have you seen with your literal eyes - not on tv or social media or on a screen? ACTUAL affidavits in the flesh. And then provide your lawful justification for having such an affidavit in your actual hands.  
Well, my parents both died over the last year and a half so I've made some affidavits and had to carry around some more.  Affidavits of Death, Residency, Military Service, financial affidavits, real estate etc. etc.

But how much weight do these affidavits carry? And what is their true reliability?
Has this not been my point?  I take the view that evidence is evidence.  Not all evidence is equal.  Some has no weight or very little weight. It however is still evidence. 
Whatever the excuses made, affidavits never submitted to any court are not evidence.  Most of what Giuliani claimed were affidavits were never examined and could have been anything.  If they were at all credible,  I assume Giuliani would have publicized their content so I  assume they were not at all credible.

The Trump campaign has repeatedly cited the hundreds of sworn affidavits it has assembled. It has even shown stacks of them to illustrate the supposed heft of its legal case. Many of them are not available because they haven’t been filed in actual lawsuits or made available publicly. (Giuliani cited the alleged targeting of their authors for keeping them obscured.)
Affidavits are not always filed.  
But then you can't come back later and complain those unfiled affidavits as evidence no court has ever considere.
But among the witnesses who have had their allegations aired in court, many have been dismissed by judges as inadmissible or not credible. One particularly high-profile one alleged many precincts in Michigan had more votes than actual voters, but shortly after Giuliani et al. raised the issue Thursday — alongside their pleas to take the affidavits seriously — it fell apart.
It is true that judges in each court have the say of determining whether evidence is admissible or not. For you information - please be aware that evidence that is not admitted - is not a ruling that that evidence is not evidence.  It is admissible. And very often good evidence - compelling evidence is not admitted on the rules of court.

Pure nothing.  That some good evidence is sometimes inadmissible in some courts is in no way proof that inadmissible evidence is good evidence.

A key issue is whether the affidavit is filed in court, as most filed by the Trump team haven’t been. Beyond that, any false statements would need to be deemed to be “material” to the proceedings — i.e. relevant to the actual claims. And from there, any legal jeopardy would require that the statements made were knowingly false.
I don't agree.  A sworn affidavit is a sworn affidavit.  To rely upon it - places the person at risk of perjury the moment it is used as evidence.  And whether it was sworn in a court or filed with the court or whether it was made in a politicians office or a lawyer's office is totally irrelevant.  I don't for the record particularly care about the affidavits not filed with the courts.  I certainly however do not agree that the assumption is that if it is not filed it must be false statement. 

No competent lawyer would agree with you here.  Nobody claims that an unfiled affidavit is necessarily false because an unfiled affidavit is meaningless in legal terms.  An unfiled affidavit has the same evidentiary weight as a blank piece of paper.
In the case of affidavits from election observers, for example, it would be difficult to prove that what they were saying was false, especially in instances in which they alleged other people involved in the ballot-counting process said something to them. In addition, statements from those like the Texas security consultant who mistook data from Minnesota to be from Michigan could be understood as an honest mistake or resulting from a lack of expertise in the subject matter — rather than an outright lie.

The Trump campaign’s affidavits also have a checkered history, to put it kindly. When they have been used in court, they’ve often been cast aside.
Not sure what this paragraph is supposed to be saying. 
The Washington Post is reminding readers that the Trump campaign has a long, long history of making false claims.

One Michigan judge noted that the evidence wasn’t direct evidence, despite the Trump campaign’s contention that it was:

TRUMP LAWYER: Your Honor, in terms of the hearsay point, this is a firsthand factual statement made by Ms. Connarn, and she has made that statement based on her own first hand physical evidence and knowledge —
JUDGE: “I heard somebody else say something.” Tell me why that’s not hearsay. Come on, now.
TRUMP LAWYER: Well it’s a firsthand statement of her physical –
JUDGE: It’s an out-of-court statement offered where the truth of the matter is asserted, right?
The judge later dismissed the complaint as “inadmissible hearsay within hearsay.”
Judges have that prerogative.  Actually if the statement above is a true record of accounts - then it was not hearsay.  Hearsay is when I hear someone tell me something about something else.  For instance - I am talking on a phone - and I am talking to Fred - and Fred says to me - It is raining here in England.  If I was to testify that Fred was in England and he said it was raining in England.  That would be hearsay evidence.  Fred after all could be in Australia and it might be raining there. 

However If I said I was talking to Fred on a telephone - and he answers me back. If I said Fred told me something - it would not be hearsay. Can you see the difference?

If Ms Connarn testified that she had spoken to someone - and that person has told her to keep away. That is direct evidence.  It is not hearsay - because she is testifying to the direct evidence that occurred to her.  If however she says - I was speaking to someone and they told me that so and so had told that other person to stay away - - then that would be hearsay evidence.  

Have you actually seen the affidavit material or not?  Your portrayal of it is not sufficient to persuade me it was hearsay. In fact it looks like the judge erred. 
Ms Connarn's affidavit stated that an unidentified poll worker told Connarn  that some of her fellow poll workers told the anonymous poll worker that they were changing dates and when she tried to followup  she was reminded that she was not allowed to speak to poll workers.  Ms Connan further avowed that she was  later handed a sticky that said, "entered receive date as 11/2/20 on 11/4/20"   Connarn didn't even have the original sticky to submit, just a photocopy.  So using your analogy applied here would be you testifying that an anonymous voice on the phone stated that some unidentified people spoke of rain in England.  There were hundreds of people around but no testimony corroborates Connarn.  Why would a lawyer like Ms Connarn not get a name?  Why would a lawyer submit a copy of a sticky rather than the original document?  I suspect because Trump's lawyers never wanted the actual claim to be investigated, they only hoped to add to the rumors of voter fraud.

No serious lawyer would bring this little to court and hope to persuade a judge.  The more likely intent was just to create one data point to doubt in the minds of people who really wanted to believe.

Other witnesses signed affidavits that said, “I believe my vote for Donald J. Trump and Michael Pence was not counted.” But when pressed by judges, they admitted they didn’t have any actual evidence to support that.
I would also press for evidence to support what they are saying.  I would not dismiss it as being not evidence- however I would say it had no weight because it no compelling element to it - save and except their own beliefs. 
Well, now we are down to it.  You admit the evidence is worthless but you still want to call it evidence of fraud.  Can't you see how insisting that worthless claims still be called evidence of fraud is deliberately misleading?  I am saying that there is no evidence of Bigfoot and you are saying we there is lots and lots of evidence of Bigfoot, its just that all that evidence has been debunked.  Then you wonder why people keep saying that there's lots and lots of evidence of Bigfoot.

A similar thing happened in Chatham County, Ga., where the GOP called two witnesses as part of its allegation that 53 ballots received after Election Day were predated to make them appear valid. But under questioning, the witnesses acknowledged they didn’t know whether the ballots were actually received after the deadline, while witnesses for the local elections board testified under oath that they were received on time.

Yet, again - it only makes their evidence less thin. It does not mean it was not evidence. Nor that what they said was not true
Absurd.  The witness observed 53 ballots separated for review.  The witness claimed that these must late arrivals, unaware that ballots are timestamped as they arrive and that late arrivals were sequestered before they ever made it to the counting floor.  When the witness was asked why he assumed the separated ballots must be late ballots, the witness admitted he had no cause.

The Judge refers to this state as "no evidence" 

"there is no evidence that the Chatham County Board of Elections or the Chatham County Board of Registrars has failed to comply with the law"

but you argue that the witness's entirely unwarranted assumption must be included under the rubric "evidence."  Why?  This persistence in mislabeling an absence of evidence as evidence that hasn't been reviewed is creating an unjustified perception that evidence exists where none does exist.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
Who says? DOJ policy? pfffttt. The Constitution, Article I, section 3, clause 7, read correctly, says otherwise.
I agree that the DOJ policy is stupid. But alas, the people who decide to press criminal charges think otherwise. 

Lying may be offensive, but it's not illegal.
depends on context. 

not illegal if the statements made are true
trump has said things that are true. However basically everything he has said about the 2020 election is not. 

Incitement to riot is not proven, merely charged, and not criminally, therefore, though some may have been offended, it's not a crime until convicted.
please refer back to the title of this thread. No one here is talking about a criminal offense. We are talking about impeachment. Those are very different things. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
Fine. Let's examine the protocol followed for this "impeachment."

According to the above,  "The House impeachment process generally proceeds in three phases: (1) initiation of the impeachment process; (2) Judiciary Committee investigation, hearings, and markup of articles of impeachment; and (3) full House consideration of the articles of impeachment."

In the 01/11/2021 "impeachment," show me when phases [1] and [2] were conducted, per the procedure. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
In the 01/11/2021 "impeachment," show me when phases [1] and [2] were conducted, per the procedure. 
It took me like 10 seconds of reading to find why your question is silly. Here is a quote from that document

"The House impeachment process generally proceeds in three phases:"

This is a loose guideline for how to proceed. These are not rules. There is nothing that says they must do it this way. It is just a framework they can use. The constitution gives congress alot of latitude to carry out an impeachment proceeding however they want. 

So why would it matter whether or not they followed a document that is just a suggestion? 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@fauxlaw
Number 2 ) House Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., released a 74-page report Tuesday afternoon describing President Trump as a "clear and present danger" who should be impeached.
"As alleged in the Article of Impeachment and described in this report, President Trump has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law," the introduction reads. 
"His continued hold on the Office of the Presidency, even for only a few more days, represents a clear and present danger to the United States."

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Tradesecret
-> @oromagi

Another issue is just what the affidavits allege. Many filed by the Trump campaign don’t actually allege wrongdoing, but rather refer to alleged issues in the vote-counting process. And as The Washington Post’s David A. Fahrenthold, Emma Brown and Hannah Knowles reported this week, many of them have been rather thin:

“Shocking allegations of voter irregularities revealed in 234 pages of signed and sworn affidavits,” the Trump campaign wrote on Twitter.
But a closer look at the affidavits showed that many did not allege any wrongdoing with ballots. Instead, they showed poll challengers complaining about other things: a loud public-address system, mean looks from poll workers, and a Democratic poll watcher who said “Go back to the suburbs, Karen.”
Some poll observers had become suspicious simply after seeing many ballots cast for Democrats — in Detroit, a heavily Democratic city where Biden won 94 percent of the vote. “I specifically noticed that every ballot I observed was cast for Joe Biden,” one observer wrote. The Trump campaign filed that as evidence in court.

The most this proves is that the Trump Campaign was being run by amateurs
This is Rudy Giuliani, the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York who brought down the mob, America's mayor and former Presidential candidate.  Rudy is not an amateur.   He knows exactly what he's doing when he submits hundreds of irrelevant affidavits- he is working to distort the perception by the gullible of the presidential election. To introduce doubt dishonestly where no honest doubt exists.

Statistically it probably is plausible that such a high number of people voted for one candidate. Certainly it should raise alarm bells as it looks like something out of Putin's textbook
No alarms.  Detroit is only 14% white and that 14% skews way younger and more female than National averages.  Trump improved significantly on his 2016 performance but that still only amounted to 5% of the vote.  Detroit's vote is totally in line with national demographic trends.

What it also demonstrates is that the GOP could not organise a conspiracy to try and pull down a government.  On the other hand - the Democrats would think that they - the Democrats - are clever enough to do it. Arrogant people. 
Let's recall that the Michigan GOP created a law that allowed the Republican governor to replace democratically elected Black mayors with unelected  superseding White Republican supervisors at will.  The Michigan GOP stormed the statehouse just last summer and republican militias were caught plotting the lynching of the Democratic Governor just this fall.  The GOP is trying to pull down Michigan's government regularly and recently.  There is no Democratic equivalent in any other US state.  I have no idea why you would  even try to make this claim.

That result is telling. Many people are involved in the counting of ballots. Plenty of them are dispatched to observe the process on behalf of one party or another. And given Trump’s claims about voter fraud in the months before the election, you can bet those who decided to participate would be on the lookout for anything that might strike them as being problematic.
Don't forget too that Biden's office was putting out that Trump received help from Putin at the last election even trying to impeach him for it. Only to have the reports come back throwing it out as bogus.
Well, that's another lie.  The Mueller report stated it couldn't prove collusion because the Trump administration obstructed his investigation. 

The report states that Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election was illegal and occurred "in sweeping and systematic fashion" but was welcomed by the Trump campaign as it expected to benefit from such efforts.  It also identifies links between Trump campaign officials and individuals with ties to the Russian government, about which several persons connected to the campaign made false statements and obstructed investigations. Mueller later stated that his investigation's conclusion on Russian interference "deserves the attention of every American.

Mueller explained that because the President could not be indicted and because it wouldn't be fair to accuse Trump of crimes without benefit of judicial exoneration, Mueller would not accuse the president of the 10 counts of impeachment worthy obstructions of justice in the cover-up of Russian connections but stressed that the President was not exonerated of any of these crimes and deferred to Congress for impeachment.  In fact, Congress has yet to impeach Trump for any of the crimes Mueller documented.  We don't know if Trump can be held criminally liable after his presidency for crimes committed in office.

It is a well-established fact that Trump received help from Putin in the 2016 election and that Trump invited, applauded, rewarded and benefited from that enemy's influence over our 2016 election.  The Mueller report states this plainly. 

Trump was impeached in January 2020 for illegally extorting the Ukrainian government to manufacture evidence that might embarrass his political rivals.

The Democrats are not squeaky clean.  Your point is valid - yet when anyone did complain - what happened? They were mocked - you have no evidence. 
I'm not sure I understand this.  You're saying the Democrats share blame for GOP attack on the Capitol because they claimed no evidence when no evidence existed?

It’s also not something that even the many authors of affidavits cited by the Trump campaign truly have to worry about. It’s significant that they decided to make these sworn statements. But contrary to what Giuliani said, most of them make no conclusive allegations of wrongdoing, and many more don’t seem to constitute genuine evidence — according to the judges tasked with reviewing them.
This may be the case - but it is not the many - it is the some which is important.  Even one statement making one statement is evidence.
In your world I could claim that Tradesecret is a satanic cannibal and then forever claim that there is at least some evidence that Tradesecret is a satanic cannibal.  We have to treat fake and wrong evidence as no kind of evidence at all or we risk suggesting possibilities that have no grounding in fact.

And to say that everyone of these affidavits is faulty or dodgy is - implausible.  It really is. Statistically impossible.  
Crazy BS.  You're saying if I get 100 people to sign affidavits swearing that Tradesecret is a satanic cannibal then it is statistically impossible that you are not a devil-loving people eater?

“If he is talking about affidavits that the swearers will submit or that Giuliani will submit as their authorized agent in a judicial proceeding, they would be at risk of a perjury prosecution,” said Julia Simon-Kerr, a law professor at the University of Connecticut. “If he’s talking about affidavits he’s collected to wave in front of reporters, but that won’t be submitted in a judicial proceeding, they would not subject the swearers to a perjury prosecution.

“Given the disjunction between what is actually happening in the courts and what he is talking about,” Simon-Kerr continued, “I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the latter.”
This is just an opinion and an opinion which wants to believe the impossible - and that is that every single affidavit contained not even a skeric of evidence worth considering. And that simply is too big an absurdity to seriously maintain. 
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum  is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: "If many believe so, it is so"

If you or anybody is aware of a single affidavit filed that contained a skeric of evidence worth considering, I have not seen it or heard mention of it. Since Giuliani has not published most of the affidavits he claims show evidence and every affidavit has shown no evidence of any kind we have to treat these claims of evidence as entirely false.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
if liberals were serious about what they're talkin about with this incitement stuff... they'd be talkin about criminal penalties against trump. i mean, id think inciting a riot is a crime isn't it? but, i think the liberals know deep down, that all this incitement stuff amounts it, is just politics... it's all political masturbation. 

Which is also why he wasn't charged with bribery or extortion as an article of impeachment on the 1st impeachment. They didn't really want an examination of actual legal charges, just the hyperbolic innuendos they could pump the media with for 4 years while DC Congress did nothing to help Americans.

This is what "unity" looks like.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
15 dollar minimum wage. Talk about killing legislation. Fucker isn’t even in office and is playing politics to force the GOP to filibuster the bill 

Hope you know how to cook at home. 15 dollars an hour plus tips is a meal most Americans can't afford.

This is what job destruction looks like, just in case the lockdown wasn't good enough for a more permanent solution to all those problematic jobs created.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
I’m just waiting for the GOP to bring impeachment against Kamala for “inciting violence.”
I think there are already a bunch of them considered already. A lot of Joe impeachments with connections to China.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Tradesecret
--> @oromagi
This is important.  Republicans are committing acts of terrorism upon my nation  in real time and threatening more and you are buying those terrorists' lies. 

I think you should lay out your evidence and why you find it so convincing.  Here, or a new forum topic or a debate.
I will tell you what I think is important.  Free speech. 

Free Speech does not imply that every allegation must be given weight or every lie given due consideration.  The First Amendment prevents the US Federal Govt from infringing on individual's speech.  The First Amendment does not empower the President of the United States to muster a militia and order it to stop Congress from electing a successor.  Quite the opposite, the First Amendment expressly forbids the chief executive from any infringement on any expression.  When it comes to the results of this election or any other the POTUS is constitutionally required to shut the fuck up- certainly not launch lynch mobs to reverse the vote.

And when a multi-national private corporation can shut down and silence the President of America, then I wonder what about the rest of us who do not have power, money or influence? 
Republicans are suddenly finding religion on anti-trust regulation- about 30 years too late.

This is one of the biggest coups in history
Yes, Trump attempted a coup.
 and most of the Left and the Democrats cannot see the precedent.
Alexander Lukashenko?
Or are so busy congratulating themselves and patting themselves on the back
Democrats practice social distancing.  Republicans are doing all the patting.

that they have lost sight of reality. 
The QAnon party wants us to believe it knows what's real. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
@FLRW
 Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., released a 74-page report Tuesday afternoon 
Why is Jerry Nads releasing a report a day AFTER the impeachment? Kind of late, isn't he? And considering that #2 is a requirement of the House not just by the document I cited, because I knew both of you would step in it, the House Rules of the 116th Congress were adopted by vote on 1/4 to be the House Rules of the 117th Congress. The rules are published. Rules X and XI require the House to  perform step #2, [as well as 1 & 3] and only after an approving vote by the entire House to conduct a House Judiciary Committee investigation, and then other committees, if necessary, and only then proceed to step 3. What investigation, and by what report from the Committee Chair did the House vote on the 11th. Pelosi violated all these rules, as she did in 2019. When was that investigation approving vote in 2021?
Not only by these rues, but the House is held by SCOTUS precedent from U.S. v. Rumley [1953], Quinn v. U.S. [1954], and Watkins v U.S. [1957]. The House cannot arbitrarily begin investigation, or issue subpoenas, by their own recognizance; they must obtain full House approval by majority vote. Having failed to do so, in both 2019, and 2021, having a committee report from the Judiciary in 2021 a day late to be considered by the House floor, the entire House impeachment investigation by several committees was entirely and completely invalid in 2019, and in 2021, not done in time at all.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@fauxlaw
Trump was impeached on Wednesday,  Jerry Nadler released the report on Tuesday the day before.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@FLRW
You are correct, my bad. Nevertheless, where is the report? It is not included as a supporting document in the official congressional record of HRes 24 https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-resolution/24

Care to comment on the House Rules for 117th Congress?
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@HistoryBuff
If this isn't impeachable, literally nothing is. 
Remember the Democrats said the same thing about the phone call. Where they lose credibility is when we see that for them, literally anything Trump does is "impeachable".

This is a bald play to get the Senate to bar Trump from running in 2024.

They know in the next 4 years, the truth about the election rigging will see sunlight. The MSM cares only about money, not truth. So when it becomes profitable to disseminate the truth, the stories they are suppressing now will come out. Trump GAINED popularity after both impeachments. By 2024, after the truth about the rigged election and the Democrats cover-up, Trump will be electable. They know this, so they are being pro-active now. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@oromagi
--> @oromagi
This is important.  Republicans are committing acts of terrorism upon my nation  in real time and threatening more and you are buying those terrorists' lies. 

I think you should lay out your evidence and why you find it so convincing.  Here, or a new forum topic or a debate.
I will tell you what I think is important.  Free speech. 

Free Speech does not imply that every allegation must be given weight or every lie given due consideration.  The First Amendment prevents the US Federal Govt from infringing on individual's speech.  The First Amendment does not empower the President of the United States to muster a militia and order it to stop Congress from electing a successor.  Quite the opposite, the First Amendment expressly forbids the chief executive from any infringement on any expression.  When it comes to the results of this election or any other the POTUS is constitutionally required to shut the fuck up- certainly not launch lynch mobs to reverse the vote.

I never said it did.  But nor does it give some people the authority to decide what is weighty and what is not.  The Left do not get to determine what is correct and what is not. I reject your position that the First Amendment forbids anyone from commenting on the results of the election.  If so, would you think that both Hillary and Biden after the last election should have shut up rather than B'd about it for many - even years after it happened? Trump might well be  a sore loser - but compared to Hillary - and to Pelosi - it comes close.  Pelosi threatening to prevent Trump from being sworn in prior to his swearing in. Pelosi even then threatening impeachment.  It was not a peaceful transition on the last occasion with thousands of protestors lining the streets and committing violence.   why is that permissible then - but not now?

And when a multi-national private corporation can shut down and silence the President of America, then I wonder what about the rest of us who do not have power, money or influence? 
Republicans are suddenly finding religion on anti-trust regulation- about 30 years too late.
So are you saying you are not concerned? Again I am not a republican.  

Trump is already in power.  The coup is bigger than Trump - 

and most of the Left and the Democrats cannot see the precedent.

Alexander Lukashenko?

Another socialist dictator. 

Or are so busy congratulating themselves and patting themselves on the back
Democrats practice social distancing.  Republicans are doing all the patting.
I am not a Republican.  I hate big government. 

Rhetoric. 

What is QAnon? 

oromagi
oromagi
-
I never said it did.  But nor does it give some people the authority to decide what is weighty and what is not. 
The First Amendment does not but the US Constitution absolutely does.  That's pretty much what the Constitution is for.

The Left do not get to determine what is correct and what is not.
The core tenant of leftism is equal rights for all.  Whether you know it or not, America is an inherently leftist project and democracy an inherently leftist form of government.  Anybody who has ever sworn to support and defend the US Constitution is leftist by definition whether they or not they know it.

I reject your position that the First Amendment forbids anyone from commenting on the results of the election. 
My position is that the President in his position representing the Federal Govt. may not infringe on the free expression of US citizens, including their political expression by vote.

If so, would you think that both Hillary and Biden after the last election should have shut up rather than B'd about it for many - even years after it happened? Trump might well be  a sore loser - but compared to Hillary - and to Pelosi - it comes close. 
Really?  Here's Hillary Clinton early on the morning after the election, when the count wasn't even 90% complete:

Last night, I congratulated Donald Trump and offered to work with him on behalf of our country. I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans. This is not the outcome we wanted or we worked so hard for and I’m sorry that we did not win this election for the values we share and the vision we hold for our country.   Our campaign was never about one person or even one election, it was about the country we love and about building an America that’s hopeful, inclusive and big-hearted. We have seen that our nation is more deeply divided than we thought. But I still believe in America and I always will. And if you do, then we must accept this result and then look to the future. Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead.Our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power and we don’t just respect that, we cherish it. It also enshrines other things; the rule of law, the principle that we are all equal in rights and dignity, freedom of worship and expression. We respect and cherish these values too and we must defend them.

I challenge you find any equivalent language in the speeches of Trump.

Pelosi threatening to prevent Trump from being sworn in prior to his swearing in.

No idea what this is.  Please provide documentation.

Pelosi even then threatening impeachment. 

Threats to impeach are an American constant.  Peter King wanted to impeach Obama for wearing a tan suit.

It was not a peaceful transition on the last occasion with thousands of protestors lining the streets and committing violence.   why is that permissible then - but not now?
No violence is permissible, then or now.  In what sense was violence permissible then?
So are you saying you are not concerned?
I'm saying I beat you there thirty years ago.

Trump is already in power.  The coup is bigger than Trump - 
Trump lost power on November 3rd and was violently seeking to change America's decision.  To the extent that Trump has conceded and called for a peaceful transition I don't see what point any further violence could now serve.  The coup was for Trump's sake and Trump promises to go.

I am not a Republican. 
How did you vote in the Presidential election?
What is QAnon? 
The religious beliefs of Trumpism.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ethang5
Remember the Democrats said the same thing about the phone call. 
Trump tried to use the office of the president to get a foreign power to intervene in a US election. that is absolutely impeachable. And he was impeached for it. Actually, this is sort of just an extension of it I suppose. His dirty tricks (like extorting foreign powers) couldn't steal the election, so now he tried to use a violent insurrection to steal it. 

Where they lose credibility is when we see that for them, literally anything Trump does is "impeachable".
no, just when he uses the power of the presidency to try to destroy american democracy. 

They know in the next 4 years, the truth about the election rigging will see sunlight.
it already has. There wasn't any. Everyone already knows that. Delusional people just choose to pretend like they don;t. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi

"The MSM were sad because of all the people laughing at them."

"Conservative media then had a great time dunking on the hypocritical mainstream media for a few days before being promptly kicked off social media."
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Tradesecret
What is QAnon?
The diversion bait he wants you to take so you don't press him on his non answers.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@HistoryBuff
Trump tried to use the office of the president to get a foreign power to intervene in a US election.
Both the US Senate and reality disagreed.

that is absolutely impeachable.
No Republican said it wasn't impeachable. What they said was that is not what Trump did. And the President of that foreign power, who happened to be the other party on that phone call, disagrees with you and the  hypo-demo-crites.

And he was impeached for it.
Completely partisan. A single party attempt at a coup. But our founding fathers were smart enough to make sure that a single party could not remove a president.

Actually, this is sort of just an extension of it I suppose. His dirty tricks (like extorting foreign powers) couldn't steal the election, so now he tried to use a violent insurrection to steal it. 
Would you like me to send you actual video of Biden boasting of his extorting a foreign power? Your claims now of a "violent insurrection" would not be so laughable if you hadn't spent the last summer congratulating and endorsing an, actual violent insurrection. Do you not know you're being hypocritical or do you just not care?