trump shouldn't have been impeached today

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 89
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Tradesecret
When Biden says he will govern for all Americans, he is saying he will govern for Trump supporters too.  This means he should not disregard them - or ignore them or treat them like simpletons.  

Nah bro. The path to unity lies in the utter obliteration of your political opposition.

Every tyrannical society knows this.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Tradesecret
I never said mass fraud did happen.  I said the Left lied about there being no evidence.  These are two separate things.  Do you even know what "evidence" is? 
Yes I do. And if there were evidence, why would every single one of trumps lawsuits have been tossed out? If there were evidence, then why did the FBI and trump's Justice department confirm they had investigated and could find no evidence. Why did the elections officials in the contested states confirm they investigated every claim of fraud and could find no evidence. 

Do you know what evidence is?

To be perfectly honest, unless the Trump campaign were able to find a smoking gun - such as an email from Biden or some member of the democrats saying they okayed the fraud, then the Left would never agree there was any evidence. And if they Trump party did find such an email - then the Left would accuse the Trump campaign of planting it.
Again, i'm not sure you know what evidence is. An email saying fraud is good is not evidence fraud happened. Evidence fraud happened would be actual evidence fraud happened. You know, tampered ballots etc. But all those claims got investigated and no evidence for them could be found. 

But just for the record, did court even hear the evidence or as you fabricate throw it out - or did they hear legal arguments and decide that there was not sufficient reason to look at any of the so called evidence? 
If they threw the case out before examining it thoroughly it is because they didn't have sufficient evidence or even a real case to investigate. The trump lawyers started every case they could think of, some of them didn't even make sense and got tossed out because they obviously didn't make sense. 

If you think valid cases got thrown out, please specify precisely which cases those were. 

At least one major case was thrown out before any evidence was produced - because the Supreme Court decided the party bringing the application DID Not have standing.  This is legal argument - not throwing evidence out.
that case was a complete joke. Literally everyone knew the supreme court couldn't possibly have agreed with it. Here is a video breaking down all the ways the case was ridiculous made by a lawyer. 

But i will break it down to 2 main points as to why bringing up this case is silly:

1) everything the state of texas was alleging, either already had been tested in court and thrown out, or could easily be tested by a suit in that state. There was no reason for texas to sue at all. 

2) Texas has absolutely no standing to bring a suit against another state's election. Even if Texas' case had merit (which it didn't) the supreme court still couldn't hear it. Each state essentially runs their own elections. One state cannot sue another state over their election. They don't have standing. If someone thinks something was done wrong they need to sue in the state the issue happened in. Another state can't sue over it. 

Basically, Texas' lawsuit was a political stunt that literally no one who knows anything about the law or elections thought was going to go anywhere. That includes Texas' attorney general. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Tradesecret
The Trump campaign clearly had sworn affidavits.  This by definition is evidence.
I said, "Trumpists have nothing- no evidence except what they have doctored, no testimony beyond the lies they tell one another."  All of the sworn affidavits I've seen qualify as both.

• Anonymous affidavits do not count as sworn testimony.
  • Hearsay does not count as sworn testimony.
  • Affidavits evaluated as meritless by an official charged with making such a determination do not count as sworn testimony.
  • Affidavits immaterial to voter fraud do not count as sworn testimony.
I'm pretty sure that eliminates everything you can bring to bear.

WashPo
November 20, 2020 at 3:19 p.m. MST

At their news conference Thursday, President Trump’s lawyers implored reporters to take their thus-far-baseless allegations of massive voter fraud more seriously. And in the course of doing so, they repeatedly referred to the hundreds of affidavits they had assembled as genuine evidence of fraud.

“It’s your job to read these things and not falsely report that there’s no evidence,” said Rudolph W. Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer.

“We have evidence that we will present to the court,” Trump campaign legal adviser Jenna Ellis said.

“These people are under penalty of perjury,” Giuliani assured again about the affidavits. “Their names are on an affidavit.”

But how much weight do these affidavits carry? And what is their true reliability?

The Trump campaign has repeatedly cited the hundreds of sworn affidavits it has assembled. It has even shown stacks of them to illustrate the supposed heft of its legal case. Many of them are not available because they haven’t been filed in actual lawsuits or made available publicly. (Giuliani cited the alleged targeting of their authors for keeping them obscured.)

But among the witnesses who have had their allegations aired in court, many have been dismissed by judges as inadmissible or not credible. One particularly high-profile one alleged many precincts in Michigan had more votes than actual voters, but shortly after Giuliani et al. raised the issue Thursday — alongside their pleas to take the affidavits seriously — it fell apart.

As the Trump campaign will remind you, these are sworn statements. But according to legal experts, the jeopardy faced by those behind them is relatively minimal.

“There is a remote chance that sworn statements (if they are actually sworn statements — most documents that appear to be ‘sworn’ don’t count within the meaning of the statute) could subject the declarant to some exposure under the perjury statutes,” said Lisa Kern Griffin, an expert on evidence at Duke University, in an email. “But perjury prosecutions are rare and almost never arise from statements outside of the context of proceedings in which oaths are formally administered — such as depositions, congressional testimony, grand jury proceedings, or trial testimony.”

A key issue is whether the affidavit is filed in court, as most filed by the Trump team haven’t been. Beyond that, any false statements would need to be deemed to be “material” to the proceedings — i.e. relevant to the actual claims. And from there, any legal jeopardy would require that the statements made were knowingly false.

In the case of affidavits from election observers, for example, it would be difficult to prove that what they were saying was false, especially in instances in which they alleged other people involved in the ballot-counting process said something to them. In addition, statements from those like the Texas security consultant who mistook data from Minnesota to be from Michigan could be understood as an honest mistake or resulting from a lack of expertise in the subject matter — rather than an outright lie.
The Trump campaign’s affidavits also have a checkered history, to put it kindly. When they have been used in court, they’ve often been cast aside.

One Michigan judge noted that the evidence wasn’t direct evidence, despite the Trump campaign’s contention that it was:

TRUMP LAWYER: Your Honor, in terms of the hearsay point, this is a firsthand factual statement made by Ms. Connarn, and she has made that statement based on her own firsthand physical evidence and knowledge —
JUDGE: “I heard somebody else say something.” Tell me why that’s not hearsay. Come on, now.
TRUMP LAWYER: Well it’s a firsthand statement of her physical –
JUDGE: It’s an out-of-court statement offered where the truth of the matter is asserted, right?
The judge later dismissed the complaint as “inadmissible hearsay within hearsay.”

Other witnesses signed affidavits that said, “I believe my vote for Donald J. Trump and Michael Pence was not counted.” But when pressed by judges, they admitted they didn’t have any actual evidence to support that.

A similar thing happened in Chatham County, Ga., where the GOP called two witnesses as part of its allegation that 53 ballots received after Election Day were predated to make them appear valid. But under questioning, the witnesses acknowledged they didn’t know whether the ballots were actually received after the deadline, while witnesses for the local elections board testified under oath that they were received on time.

Another issue is just what the affidavits allege. Many filed by the Trump campaign don’t actually allege wrongdoing, but rather refer to alleged issues in the vote-counting process. And as The Washington Post’s David A. Fahrenthold, Emma Brown and Hannah Knowles reported this week, many of them have been rather thin:

“Shocking allegations of voter irregularities revealed in 234 pages of signed and sworn affidavits,” the Trump campaign wrote on Twitter.
But a closer look at the affidavits showed that many did not allege any wrongdoing with ballots. Instead, they showed poll challengers complaining about other things: a loud public-address system, mean looks from poll workers, and a Democratic poll watcher who said “Go back to the suburbs, Karen.”
Some poll observers had become suspicious simply after seeing many ballots cast for Democrats — in Detroit, a heavily Democratic city where Biden won 94 percent of the vote. “I specifically noticed that every ballot I observed was cast for Joe Biden,” one observer wrote. The Trump campaign filed that as evidence in court.
In another case, the Trump campaign’s affidavit was described by a judge as being “rife with speculation and guesswork about sinister motives.” The judge said the allegations were “not credible” and found that the people behind them were simply unfamiliar with how the ballot-counting process was conducted in Detroit.

“Perhaps if Plaintiffs’ election challenger affiants had attended the October 29, 2020 walk-through of the TCF Center ballot counting location, questions and concerns could have been answered in advance of Election Day,” Judge Timothy M. Kenny wrote. “Regrettably, they did not and, therefore, Plaintiffs’ affiants did not have a full understanding of the TCF absent ballot tabulation process.”

That result is telling. Many people are involved in the counting of ballots. Plenty of them are dispatched to observe the process on behalf of one party or another. And given Trump’s claims about voter fraud in the months before the election, you can bet those who decided to participate would be on the lookout for anything that might strike them as being problematic.

But many of them didn’t actually say they witnessed or had evidence of wrongdoing. Even the affidavit about alleged over-votes in Michigan merely raises concerns — concerns that appear to be relatively easy to explain, upon a closer examination.

Vote-counting is a complicated process, and the combination of people with little to no training in that process and people with a clear bias toward believing the election was stolen from Trump is a toxic one. It’s just not one that judges have found to be compelling thus far.

It’s also not something that even the many authors of affidavits cited by the Trump campaign truly have to worry about. It’s significant that they decided to make these sworn statements. But contrary to what Giuliani said, most of them make no conclusive allegations of wrongdoing, and many more don’t seem to constitute genuine evidence — according to the judges tasked with reviewing them.

“If he is talking about affidavits that the swearers will submit or that Giuliani will submit as their authorized agent in a judicial proceeding, they would be at risk of a perjury prosecution,” said Julia Simon-Kerr, a law professor at the University of Connecticut. “If he’s talking about affidavits he’s collected to wave in front of reporters, but that won’t be submitted in a judicial proceeding, they would not subject the swearers to a perjury prosecution.

“Given the disjunction between what is actually happening in the courts and what he is talking about,” Simon-Kerr continued, “I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the latter.”

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Tradesecret
This is important.  Republicans are committing acts of terrorism upon my nation  in real time and threatening more and you are buying those terrorists' lies. 

I think you should lay out your evidence and why you find it so convincing.  Here, or a new forum topic or a debate.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@HistoryBuff
I never said mass fraud did happen.  I said the Left lied about there being no evidence.  These are two separate things.  Do you even know what "evidence" is? 
Yes I do. And if there were evidence, why would every single one of trumps lawsuits have been tossed out? If there were evidence, then why did the FBI and trump's Justice department confirm they had investigated and could find no evidence. Why did the elections officials in the contested states confirm they investigated every claim of fraud and could find no evidence. 

Do you know what evidence is?
Cases are thrown out every day in courts even when there is much evidence for both points.   If there was no evidence - what did the FBI and the Justice Department investigate? Did the elected officials investigate every claim of fraud?   

Of course I know what evidence is - it seems you still do not. 

To be perfectly honest, unless the Trump campaign were able to find a smoking gun - such as an email from Biden or some member of the democrats saying they okayed the fraud, then the Left would never agree there was any evidence. And if they Trump party did find such an email - then the Left would accuse the Trump campaign of planting it.
Again, i'm not sure you know what evidence is. An email saying fraud is good is not evidence fraud happened. Evidence fraud happened would be actual evidence fraud happened. You know, tampered ballots etc. But all those claims got investigated and no evidence for them could be found. 
An email giving the ok for fraud to take place is evidence in a situation where fraud is alleged.  Does it prove evidence took placed? Not by itself. But it attaches motive or at least a person to the fraud.  There was evidence of ballots being found in bins.  There was evidence of people voting twice. There was evidence of reviewers not being permitted to peruse the votes.  There was hundreds of affidavits.  An affidavit is evidence.  Do you deny this? A sworn statement is evidence.  

But just for the record, did court even hear the evidence or as you fabricate throw it out - or did they hear legal arguments and decide that there was not sufficient reason to look at any of the so called evidence? 
If they threw the case out before examining it thoroughly it is because they didn't have sufficient evidence or even a real case to investigate. The trump lawyers started every case they could think of, some of them didn't even make sense and got tossed out because they obviously didn't make sense. 

If you think valid cases got thrown out, please specify precisely which cases those were. 
In any court case - whether there is evidence or not, the legal arguments precede the giving of evidence.  Many cases only contain legal arguments or procedural matters. There is no evidence led or given.  Having a case tossed out does not imply or infer that there is no evidence to investigate. 

At least one major case was thrown out before any evidence was produced - because the Supreme Court decided the party bringing the application DID Not have standing.  This is legal argument - not throwing evidence out.
that case was a complete joke. Literally everyone knew the supreme court couldn't possibly have agreed with it. Here is a video breaking down all the ways the case was ridiculous made by a lawyer. 

But i will break it down to 2 main points as to why bringing up this case is silly:

1) everything the state of texas was alleging, either already had been tested in court and thrown out, or could easily be tested by a suit in that state. There was no reason for texas to sue at all. 

2) Texas has absolutely no standing to bring a suit against another state's election. Even if Texas' case had merit (which it didn't) the supreme court still couldn't hear it. Each state essentially runs their own elections. One state cannot sue another state over their election. They don't have standing. If someone thinks something was done wrong they need to sue in the state the issue happened in. Another state can't sue over it. 

Basically, Texas' lawsuit was a political stunt that literally no one who knows anything about the law or elections thought was going to go anywhere. That includes Texas' attorney general. 

You prove my point.  the case was not a joke.  After all, if it was just a joke, the Supreme Court would not have even entertained it being listed.  The fact that it was listed demonstrates the court itself did not consider it a joke.  

Yet it like the other cases never got to giving evidence.  No evidence was ever tested in court. This does not mean there no evidence - because we know there was evidence - every affidavit is evidence.

My point by the way is not that any of the evidence was weighty or would succeed in overturning an election or even was persuasive. My point is that there was and remains evidence - but that evidence has never been tested by a court of law. And the LEFT and the Media to continue the lie to say there was no evidence is misleading and a misunderstanding of what evidence is. 

And this misunderstanding by the LEft and by the media -- makes all of them somewhat culpable. They are all perpetrators of the movement which seeks to silence any opposition.  This canceling of the opposition is causing others who are being canceled to be resentful and for good reason.  Truth is being canceled. Silenced and into that silence one voice is permitted to speak. And that voice - is not one of reason but of a self serving elitist group who believes the ends justifies the means and will do anything to achieve that end.  After all if the end is to get Trump out - lying cheating, destroying reputations, even democracy is justifiable. It is justifiable in their minds because they think it is for the better good of all.  
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Tradesecret
Cases are thrown out every day in courts even when there is much evidence for both points.
Cases were thrown out specifically for lack of evidence.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Tradesecret
You prove my point.  the case was not a joke.  After all, if it was just a joke, the Supreme Court would not have even entertained it being listed.  The fact that it was listed demonstrates the court itself did not consider it a joke.  
The Supreme Court could not simply ignore a case brought into being at the President of the United States' command and publicized by that President to the maximum degree.  To infer any validity to Texas' claim would be delusion.  The only delay was receipt of the States response: Republican and Democratic Governors alike urged that the justices to "send a clear and unmistakable signal that such abuse must never be replicated".  Pennsylvania called the claim, "seditious abuse of the judicial process"  The 6-3 majority Republican Supreme Court found Texas's complaint "not judicially cognizable," found it did not meet the basic criteria of viability.  Nothing burger.    What the Supreme Court did not say to Texas is Idiot!  Texas benefits from some of the most corrupt election laws in the country.  Do you really want to open a legal precedent where states can sue other states over elections?  Texas would probably go blue overnight if Texas had to play fair.

Let's note that Clarence Thomas' wife tweeted support for the Save America rally on the morning of but later
Yet it like the other cases never got to giving evidence.  No evidence was ever tested in court. This does not mean there no evidence - because we know there was evidence - every affidavit is evidence.
You can't have a court case without sufficient evidence or probable cause.  The Trump campaign had to show evidence in many of the complaints they filed and in most cases failed to produce anything.  Waving around blank paper is not evidence that was never tested in court.  Anonymous affidavits are not evidence that was never tested in court.  All the evidence that was tested in court failed to move a single judge to hear more, even judges who owed their jobs to Trump.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@oromagi
The Trump campaign clearly had sworn affidavits.  This by definition is evidence.
I said, "Trumpists have nothing- no evidence except what they have doctored, no testimony beyond the lies they tell one another."  All of the sworn affidavits I've seen qualify as both.

• Anonymous affidavits do not count as sworn testimony.
  • Hearsay does not count as sworn testimony.
  • Affidavits evaluated as meritless by an official charged with making such a determination do not count as sworn testimony.
  • Affidavits immaterial to voter fraud do not count as sworn testimony.
I'm pretty sure that eliminates everything you can bring to bear.

I agree that anonymous affidavits are not sworn testimony.  They could however  be used as evidence if the person is prepared to enter the court room.  The question in my mind is why are they afraid to put their name to the statement? Plausibly because they are afraid of the consequences of telling the truth.  

Hearsay generally speaking is not evidence about what happened - unless of course it is used in a sex case or a DV case - where the testimony is provided by someone who is credible. It is not always thrown out. Often the case is that the victim won't speak out - but the person of 1st report is considered admissible hearsay. 

No one can make a determination that a statement is not sworn testimony.  Who would have that authority? Judges might disagree with the sworn testimony- but this would not determine it was not sworn testimony. 

Affidavits are evidence per se  and if sworn are sworn testimony. 

For the record - how many actual sworn affidavits have you seen with your literal eyes - not on tv or social media or on a screen? ACTUAL affidavits in the flesh. And then provide your lawful justification for having such an affidavit in your actual hands.  

At their news conference Thursday, President Trump’s lawyers implored reporters to take their thus-far-baseless allegations of massive voter fraud more seriously. And in the course of doing so, they repeatedly referred to the hundreds of affidavits they had assembled as genuine evidence of fraud.

“It’s your job to read these things and not falsely report that there’s no evidence,” said Rudolph W. Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer.
This is a fair comment.  

“We have evidence that we will present to the court,” Trump campaign legal adviser Jenna Ellis said.
Ok. 

“These people are under penalty of perjury,” Giuliani assured again about the affidavits. “Their names are on an affidavit.”
This also a fair comment.  People should not make affidavits lightly - lest the consequences follow. 

But how much weight do these affidavits carry? And what is their true reliability?

Has this not been my point?  I take the view that evidence is evidence.  Not all evidence is equal.  Some has no weight or very little weight. It however is still evidence. 

The Trump campaign has repeatedly cited the hundreds of sworn affidavits it has assembled. It has even shown stacks of them to illustrate the supposed heft of its legal case. Many of them are not available because they haven’t been filed in actual lawsuits or made available publicly. (Giuliani cited the alleged targeting of their authors for keeping them obscured.)
Affidavits are not always filed. Each legal team is entitled to fight its battle the way it sees fit.  Not producing the affidavits does not mean there is no evidence. Sometimes people make statements - and then do not want to produce them. They want to see how the battle is being fought and who is winning. Often people with nothing but the truth to tell - will see their opponents succeeding and weigh up whether they want to proceed or not.  Courts are not necessarily the determiner of truth or fact. Often money talks and he who is able to threaten most - succeeds.  

But among the witnesses who have had their allegations aired in court, many have been dismissed by judges as inadmissible or not credible. One particularly high-profile one alleged many precincts in Michigan had more votes than actual voters, but shortly after Giuliani et al. raised the issue Thursday — alongside their pleas to take the affidavits seriously — it fell apart.
It is true that judges in each court have the say of determining whether evidence is admissible or not. For you information - please be aware that evidence that is not admitted - is not a ruling that that evidence is not evidence.  It is admissible. And very often good evidence - compelling evidence is not admitted on the rules of court. This is often the case in criminal cases where - such evidence is considered prejudicial or biased.  Such evidence is legitimate - just not admitted.  Examples for instance - when a wife gives an alibi for her husband.  It is good evidence  - she was there and can testify to the fact - but it is admissible because she is presumed to be prejudicial in favor of her husband. the wife's evidence would not be considered credible - despite the fact it is true. 

As the Trump campaign will remind you, these are sworn statements. But according to legal experts, the jeopardy faced by those behind them is relatively minimal.
Sworn statement are used everyday - without ever the person swearing proving its veracity or jeapardy. For example, police officers everyday provide sworn statements to judges to obtain arrest or search warrants.  It is simply the sworn statement before another police officer - to be telling the truth.  And every day thousands of people are arrested and their homes searched.  Nothing more than a statement -  the judge reads it - and so far as no alarm bells go off - then they accept it as evidence. 

“There is a remote chance that sworn statements (if they are actually sworn statements — most documents that appear to be ‘sworn’ don’t count within the meaning of the statute) could subject the declarant to some exposure under the perjury statutes,” said Lisa Kern Griffin, an expert on evidence at Duke University, in an email. “But perjury prosecutions are rare and almost never arise from statements outside of the context of proceedings in which oaths are formally administered — such as depositions, congressional testimony, grand jury proceedings, or trial testimony.”
Most affidavits people make are received in good faith because people do not generally place themselves at risk of prison time if they can avoid it.  The fact is police do prosecute perjury in our time. Why there are not so many is because - the anecdotal evidence is because people actually do tell the truth most of the time.  People do still respect swearing on a bible or making an affirmation.  This is also because proving of facts is not so black and white as the Democrats would have us believe. 

A key issue is whether the affidavit is filed in court, as most filed by the Trump team haven’t been. Beyond that, any false statements would need to be deemed to be “material” to the proceedings — i.e. relevant to the actual claims. And from there, any legal jeopardy would require that the statements made were knowingly false.
I don't agree.  A sworn affidavit is a sworn affidavit.  To rely upon it - places the person at risk of perjury the moment it is used as evidence.  And whether it was sworn in a court or filed with the court or whether it was made in a politicians office or a lawyer's office is totally irrelevant.  I don't for the record particularly care about the affidavits not filed with the courts.  I certainly however do not agree that the assumption is that if it is not filed it must be false statement. 

In the case of affidavits from election observers, for example, it would be difficult to prove that what they were saying was false, especially in instances in which they alleged other people involved in the ballot-counting process said something to them. In addition, statements from those like the Texas security consultant who mistook data from Minnesota to be from Michigan could be understood as an honest mistake or resulting from a lack of expertise in the subject matter — rather than an outright lie.
The Trump campaign’s affidavits also have a checkered history, to put it kindly. When they have been used in court, they’ve often been cast aside.
Not sure what this paragraph is supposed to be saying.  Both sides of politics in my view are dodgy. I am not a Republican nor am I am Democrat.  

One Michigan judge noted that the evidence wasn’t direct evidence, despite the Trump campaign’s contention that it was:

TRUMP LAWYER: Your Honor, in terms of the hearsay point, this is a firsthand factual statement made by Ms. Connarn, and she has made that statement based on her own firsthand physical evidence and knowledge —
JUDGE: “I heard somebody else say something.” Tell me why that’s not hearsay. Come on, now.
TRUMP LAWYER: Well it’s a firsthand statement of her physical –
JUDGE: It’s an out-of-court statement offered where the truth of the matter is asserted, right?
The judge later dismissed the complaint as “inadmissible hearsay within hearsay.”
Judges have that prerogative.  Actually if the statement above is a true record of accounts - then it was not hearsay.  Hearsay is when I hear someone tell me something about something else.  For instance - I am talking on a phone - and I am talking to Fred - and Fred says to me - It is raining here in England.  If I was to testify that Fred was in England and he said it was raining in England.  That would be hearsay evidence.  Fred after all could be in Australia and it might be raining there. 

However If I said I was talking to Fred on a telephone - and he answers me back. If I said Fred told me something - it would not be hearsay. Can you see the difference?

If Ms Connarn testified that she had spoken to someone - and that person has told her to keep away. That is direct evidence.  It is not hearsay - because she is testifying to the direct evidence that occurred to her.  If however she says - I was speaking to someone and they told me that so and so had told that other person to stay away - - then that would be hearsay evidence.  

Have you actually seen the affidavit material or not?  Your portrayal of it is not sufficient to persuade me it was hearsay. In fact it looks like the judge erred. 

Other witnesses signed affidavits that said, “I believe my vote for Donald J. Trump and Michael Pence was not counted.” But when pressed by judges, they admitted they didn’t have any actual evidence to support that.
I would also press for evidence to support what they are saying.  I would not dismiss it as being not evidence- however I would say it had no weight because it no compelling element to it - save and except their own beliefs. 

A similar thing happened in Chatham County, Ga., where the GOP called two witnesses as part of its allegation that 53 ballots received after Election Day were predated to make them appear valid. But under questioning, the witnesses acknowledged they didn’t know whether the ballots were actually received after the deadline, while witnesses for the local elections board testified under oath that they were received on time.
It sounds like the judges pressed the matter well.  Yet, again - it only makes their evidence less thin. It does not mean it was not evidence. Nor that what they said was not true. It only means that they believed what they wrote - without putting the time into consider what they were saying. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@oromagi

Another issue is just what the affidavits allege. Many filed by the Trump campaign don’t actually allege wrongdoing, but rather refer to alleged issues in the vote-counting process. And as The Washington Post’s David A. Fahrenthold, Emma Brown and Hannah Knowles reported this week, many of them have been rather thin:

“Shocking allegations of voter irregularities revealed in 234 pages of signed and sworn affidavits,” the Trump campaign wrote on Twitter.
But a closer look at the affidavits showed that many did not allege any wrongdoing with ballots. Instead, they showed poll challengers complaining about other things: a loud public-address system, mean looks from poll workers, and a Democratic poll watcher who said “Go back to the suburbs, Karen.”
Some poll observers had become suspicious simply after seeing many ballots cast for Democrats — in Detroit, a heavily Democratic city where Biden won 94 percent of the vote. “I specifically noticed that every ballot I observed was cast for Joe Biden,” one observer wrote. The Trump campaign filed that as evidence in court.

The most this proves is that the Trump Campaign was being run by amateurs by people who care for their country - and believe that they have been dudded out of an election. Statistically it probably is plausible that such a high number of people voted for one candidate. Certainly it should raise alarm bells as it looks like something out of Putin's textbook.   What it also demonstrates is that the GOP could not organise a conspiracy to try and pull down a government.  On the other hand - the Democrats would think that they - the Democrats - are clever enough to do it. Arrogant people. 

In another case, the Trump campaign’s affidavit was described by a judge as being “rife with speculation and guesswork about sinister motives.” The judge said the allegations were “not credible” and found that the people behind them were simply unfamiliar with how the ballot-counting process was conducted in Detroit.
possibly the case. 

“Perhaps if Plaintiffs’ election challenger affiants had attended the October 29, 2020 walk-through of the TCF Center ballot counting location, questions and concerns could have been answered in advance of Election Day,” Judge Timothy M. Kenny wrote. “Regrettably, they did not and, therefore, Plaintiffs’ affiants did not have a full understanding of the TCF absent ballot tabulation process.”
Ok. 

That result is telling. Many people are involved in the counting of ballots. Plenty of them are dispatched to observe the process on behalf of one party or another. And given Trump’s claims about voter fraud in the months before the election, you can bet those who decided to participate would be on the lookout for anything that might strike them as being problematic.
Don't forget too that Biden's office was putting out that Trump received help from Putin at the last election even trying to impeach him for it. Only to have the reports come back throwing it out as bogus. The Democrats are not squeaky clean.  Your point is valid - yet when anyone did complain - what happened? They were mocked - you have no evidence. 

But many of them didn’t actually say they witnessed or had evidence of wrongdoing. Even the affidavit about alleged over-votes in Michigan merely raises concerns — concerns that appear to be relatively easy to explain, upon a closer examination.

Vote-counting is a complicated process, and the combination of people with little to no training in that process and people with a clear bias toward believing the election was stolen from Trump is a toxic one. It’s just not one that judges have found to be compelling thus far.
ok. 

It’s also not something that even the many authors of affidavits cited by the Trump campaign truly have to worry about. It’s significant that they decided to make these sworn statements. But contrary to what Giuliani said, most of them make no conclusive allegations of wrongdoing, and many more don’t seem to constitute genuine evidence — according to the judges tasked with reviewing them.
This may be the case - but it is not the many - it is the some which is important.  Even one statement making one statement is evidence. And to say that everyone of these affidavits is faulty or dodgy is - implausible.  It really is. Statistically impossible.  

“If he is talking about affidavits that the swearers will submit or that Giuliani will submit as their authorized agent in a judicial proceeding, they would be at risk of a perjury prosecution,” said Julia Simon-Kerr, a law professor at the University of Connecticut. “If he’s talking about affidavits he’s collected to wave in front of reporters, but that won’t be submitted in a judicial proceeding, they would not subject the swearers to a perjury prosecution.

“Given the disjunction between what is actually happening in the courts and what he is talking about,” Simon-Kerr continued, “I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the latter.”

This is just an opinion and an opinion which wants to believe the impossible - and that is that every single affidavit contained not even a skeric of evidence worth considering. And that simply is too big an absurdity to seriously maintain. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@drafterman
Ok. And you were there in the court room and heard the judge say this? Or did you hear about it on your favorite media site? 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@oromagi
This is important.  Republicans are committing acts of terrorism upon my nation  in real time and threatening more and you are buying those terrorists' lies. 

I think you should lay out your evidence and why you find it so convincing.  Here, or a new forum topic or a debate.
I will tell you what I think is important.  Free speech. 

And when a multi-national private corporation can shut down and silence the President of America, then I wonder what about the rest of us who do not have power, money or influence? 

This is one of the biggest coups in history - and most of the Left and the Democrats cannot see the precedent. Or are so busy congratulating themselves and patting themselves on the back that they have lost sight of reality. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Tradesecret
Washington DC fucked up big time on this one. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@oromagi
The Supreme Court could not simply ignore a case brought into being at the President of the United States' command and publicized by that President to the maximum degree.  To infer any validity to Texas' claim would be delusion.  The only delay was receipt of the States response: Republican and Democratic Governors alike urged that the justices to "send a clear and unmistakable signal that such abuse must never be replicated".  Pennsylvania called the claim, "seditious abuse of the judicial process"  The 6-3 majority Republican Supreme Court found Texas's complaint "not judicially cognizable," found it did not meet the basic criteria of viability.  Nothing burger.    What the Supreme Court did not say to Texas is Idiot!  Texas benefits from some of the most corrupt election laws in the country.  Do you really want to open a legal precedent where states can sue other states over elections?  Texas would probably go blue overnight if Texas had to play fair.
Of course it can. It can ignore anyone it wants to if it thinks it has no standing.  Yet this case was not brought into being at the command of the US President.  It was brought into existence by the State of Texas.  Texans are allowed to believe that the President was dudded as well.  

If the republican and democratic governors did urge the judges to send a message - then that is a clear breach of constitutional powers and possibly unconstitutional. Ultra vires. Who are these governors who did this and who were seeking to influence the court?  It is totally a court's decision and any interference in the court's decision is not only shameful but dangerous. A precedent which hopefully should be shut down forever. 

For any sitting politician - including the president - to comment on the case to the judges would be such a sign of corruption that those governors should hang their heads in shame and resign.  

And let us be clear here - the Supreme Court in a 6-3 majority declared there was no standing. Interestingly, 3 judges did.  This confirms that 3 Supreme Court justices thought that the matter had legal basis.  You have chopped off your own leg here. What does the dissent say? That is what we need to read.  If the Supreme Court really wanted to send a message it would have been a total 9 judges. Yet - 3 dissented.  This is quite significant - I did not know that until now. If 3 judges out of 9 thought that there was a legal basis - then clearly it was not a joke and had some legs. Very interesting.  

The reason why the Supreme Court did not use your language is not because they agree with you - but because they did not agree with you.  The judges recognize that their brother and sister judges had a legal basis for their reasoning - and would not take a political blow like you have. 

Let's note that Clarence Thomas' wife tweeted support for the Save America rally on the morning of but later
You can't have a court case without sufficient evidence or probable cause.  The Trump campaign had to show evidence in many of the complaints they filed and in most cases failed to produce anything.  Waving around blank paper is not evidence that was never tested in court.  Anonymous affidavits are not evidence that was never tested in court.  All the evidence that was tested in court failed to move a single judge to hear more, even judges who owed their jobs to Trump.
This case was not about evidence it was about standing. And if standing had been approved - then the evidence could have been tested.  I think you simply insult people for no reason when you suggest they were going to try and adduce unsworn affidavits.  That is a nonsense.   I accept that Texas lost its case. I thought it was an interesting move but one which was doomed to fail in any event.  

WesleyBColeman
Debates: 1
WesleyBColeman
-->
@oromagi
Poll: Was there voter fraud? [1]
Dems/Inds - 30% yes
Reps- 70% yes
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Tradesecret
These things are a matter of public government record.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Tradesecret
If there was no evidence - what did the FBI and the Justice Department investigate?
They investigated the claims people made. They found no evidence there was any significant amount of fraud. 

Did the elected officials investigate every claim of fraud?   
Georgia state officials confirmed they investigated every claim. Other states officials investigated the claims in their states as well. 

Of course I know what evidence is - it seems you still do not. 
i don't think that's true. You said an email talking about fraud would be evidence fraud happened, but that obviously isn't true. That would just be evidence they talked about it. Evidence it happened would be tampered ballots, tampered voting machines etc. 

An email giving the ok for fraud to take place is evidence in a situation where fraud is alleged.
ok. but if there is no evidence fraud actually happened, it is evidence of nothing. And there is no evidence that significant fraud actually happened. 

Does it prove evidence took placed? Not by itself. But it attaches motive or at least a person to the fraud.
true. and it would be useful in confirming the how and why fraud happened. But since there isn't any evidence that it did, it's kind of irrelevant. 

There was evidence of ballots being found in bins
All votes are put in bins. they get transported and/or stored that way. If there wasn't evidence ballots got put in bins that would be weird. 

There was evidence of people voting twice.
please provide a source for that. Such claims would have been investigated and disproven. So if you have actual information that says otherwise, i would like to see it. If you don't have a source for it, then it is just more speculation and conspiracy theory. 

There was evidence of reviewers not being permitted to peruse the votes. 
why would they be allowed to do that? People can't just "peruse the votes". It sounds like people tried to do something against the rules and were prevented from doing so. 

There was hundreds of affidavits.  An affidavit is evidence.  Do you deny this? A sworn statement is evidence.  
sort of. You can sign an affidavit for literally anything. You could say you were abducted by aliens and sign an affidavit. It doesn't mean it's true. And unless the statement in the affidavit is repeated under oath (like in court) it is extremely unlikely there would be any consequences for lying in an affidavit. Also, many of those people were just wrong about what they saw. IE they saw someone moving ballots and thought it was "secret ballots", when in reality it was just the normal process. And there is no punishment at all for being wrong about what you said you saw or heard. So those affidavits don't mean much. Especially since the things they are claiming have no other evidence to support them.

Having a case tossed out does not imply or infer that there is no evidence to investigate. 
true. cases can certain be tossed out on procedural grounds. However many of the judges expressly stated when they threw out trumps cases it was for lack of evidence. 

I'm not sure what you mean? They refused to even hear the case. What more could they have done to show it was rediculous?

Yet it like the other cases never got to giving evidence.  No evidence was ever tested in court. 
incorrect. Texas wasn't bringing any new allegations of fraud. They were repeating some which had already been tested in other courts. So their claims had been tested already, and thrown out.

This does not mean there no evidence - because we know there was evidence - every affidavit is evidence.
by that standard we have evidence that the loch ness monster and big foot are real.... We have "evidence" for any crazy claim made by any person. If your standard of evidence is someone said something happened, but there is zero evidence to support it, then you are primed to believe anything.

My point is that there was and remains evidence - but that evidence has never been tested by a court of law.
you've yet to show that there is any actual evidence. You have established that people say they saw things. But when put before a judge those people's testimony fell apart. You claim there is other evidence, but have failed to provide any. So at the moment, you are claiming there is all this evidence, but you don't actually have any. Just like trump. 

And the LEFT and the Media to continue the lie to say there was no evidence is misleading and a misunderstanding of what evidence is. 
there is no actual evidence that any significant fraud occurred. There are statements made by people who said they saw stuff, but when challenged most of them weren't sure what they'd seen, hadn't understood what they'd seen, or couldn't back it up in any way at all. 

And this misunderstanding by the LEft and by the media -- makes all of them somewhat culpable.
If accurately describing reality makes you culpable for what delusional people do when their delusions are challenged, then the world is seriously screwed. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
This effort by Pelosi was just another exercise of premature efactulation - an act that ought not be a public event, and one for which she is ill-equipped. Yes, I know when she references her oath of office, she's always speaking to the words of the President's oath, and not her own, but she is, after all, a very confused lady.
The article of impeachment enacted on the 11th is an exact repeat of the accusations hurled by all Dems and 10 Rs in the House, with just this one line of "evidence:" "If you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore." However, the accusers ignored the evidence against their charge of "high crimes..."  He also said, "...everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

According to the OED, "fight" as a verb has a variety of definitions. The obvious definition Trump used must align with the later commentary of "peaceful" and "patriotic," let alone "voices." A fight by voices to sustain peace and patriotism. What, you automatically go to a physical battle as the defining meaning that Trump "engaged in insurrection" by inciting a crowd to violence? Uh-huh. Is that why the first person arrested in this incident is a liberal activist, who apparently, by attending the speech, displayed no ability of self control to follow Trump's advice to be "peaceful and patriotic?" Oops.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@fauxlaw
According to the OED, "fight" as a verb has a variety of definitions. The obvious definition Trump used must align with the later commentary of "peaceful" and "patriotic," let alone "voices." A fight by voices to sustain peace and patriotism. What, you automatically go to a physical battle as the defining meaning that Trump "engaged in insurrection" by inciting a crowd to violence? Uh-huh. Is that why the first person arrested in this incident is a liberal activist, who apparently, by attending the speech, displayed no ability of self control to follow Trump's advice to be "peaceful and patriotic?" Oops.
what you are doing is what trump wants you to do. He says contradictory things all the time. It's part of his basic speech pattern. Whether it is an intentional defense mechanism to avoid legal repercussions or he just is all over the place, I couldn't say. 

But if you tell someone to commit a crime, then say "but don't commit any crimes", then repeat that you want them to commit a crime, you are still guilty of telling them to commit the crime. He told these people they were in mortal danger. That they personally had to do something to stop it. The fact that he contradicts himself constantly doesn't remove his culpability. 

You are choosing to ignore that he incited them to violence. Throwing in a line here and there saying the opposite of what your overall message is, doesn't change anything. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@HistoryBuff

Well, that is why Trump keeps the book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order next to his bed.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@FLRW
Well, that is why Trump keeps the book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order next to his bed.
I have never claimed that trump idolizes and consciously follows in Hitler's footsteps. But a large chunk of the way he acts, things he does and things he says fit very well into the play book of fascists like Hitler or Mussolini. 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
You have entirely misunderstood the linkage of a word of various meanings and the obviously non-inciteful words "peaceful" and "patriotic." Who's doing the ignoring. How insightful is "peaceful?" Besides, when one is incited to violence by another's speech, regardless of what is said, it is indicative of the actor failing the ability to control himself. That means a weak backbone. The same person is also offended excessively by speech. We have the right to be offended. We do not have the right to either censure or act violently because of it. To act says you neither have a backbone nor a brain. Brainless people exist on all sides of this debate.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@fauxlaw

Trump said he won by a landslide. Joseph Goebbels, a Hitler propagandist, is credited with saying this. “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@HistoryBuff
if liberals were serious about what they're talkin about with this incitement stuff... they'd be talkin about criminal penalties against trump. i mean, id think inciting a riot is a crime isn't it? but, i think the liberals know deep down, that all this incitement stuff amounts it, is just politics... it's all political masturbation. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@n8nrgmi
Whether or not a sitting President can be charged with a crime is an open area of Constitutional Law, probably one that no one wants to get into at the moment (especially due to existing DoJ policy to not indict sitting presidents). At least impeachment is a known way of dealing with a President and, once removed from office, there will be no issues to any criminal charges unless Trump attempts to pardon himself.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@FLRW
Yes, people who are mindless twits who do no critical thinking of their own, the standard of the progressive wave. But they'll believe anything. Such as that paying indulgences of carbon credits will clean the clouds.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@HistoryBuff
You are choosing to ignore that he incited them to violence. 
Is that like ignoring that Nancy Pelosi said last September, as the SENATE [by the way, what in hell does Pelostomy have to do with the Senate?] was conducting advice and consent of Amy Comey Barrett's nomination, "We have arrows in our quiver?" Sounds like inciting to riot to me. Not to you? Arrows are offensive weapons. Peace and patriotism are not offensive, period. But no one complained that Pelosi was inciting anyone. Why not?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
Wow, we're now 4 days past the impeachment. What is Fancy Nancy waiting for? I thought this was an urgent matter, but she has not darkened the Senate's door.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@fauxlaw
I’m just waiting for the GOP to bring impeachment against Kamala for “inciting violence.”
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@fauxlaw
The remarkable timing of President Trump’s impeachment trial is driven in part by Senate rules. A trial must begin at 1 p.m. the day after the Senate receives the article of impeachment. But the Senate won’t be in session to receive the articles until Jan. 19. Although Democrats want to move up that date, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has refused.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@FLRW
Further, the Senate cannot convict on an impeachment of a President who is no longer in office since the purpose of impeachment/conviction is removal from office. Once out of office, the Senate cannot convict a private citizen. Their power to convict a federal officer ends with the officer's departure from service. The Constitution is very clear on that subject. but Democrats are not known for their allegiance to the Constitution other than as by re-inagining it.