Posts in total: 24
  • Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 4,320
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    Where was he?

Jesus said said to his followers that some of them would live to witness his return to earth:Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom”. Matthew16: 27-28.

Jesus then goes further telling them which “signs” to look out for but this time including the whole “generation” and ending again with:
    “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened “Matthew24:25-34.
    Mark13:26-30 says the same as does Luke21:27-32.

So it is clearly Jesus himself states that he will be seen again in that generation of that time and that it was to happen some time during the generation of those to whom he was speaking. It cannot be made more clear to his audience that this event would not be in the distant future, he told them that some of them who were there listening to him would still be alive to see it.

Even at his trial he told the priests and the council :you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.“” Matthew26: 63, 64.     And the no show hadn’t gone nu-noticed by the people either:

2Peter 3:4 “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”
    Yet even allowing for all those Jews alive at the time of the promise and living another hundred + years, Jesus simply failed to show and keep his promise.

Does a single one of those he made the promise to mention his return "coming on a cloud"? It will be interesting to hear what Christians have to say about this abysmal damp squib of a failure to keep a promise, his promise.
  • FLRW
    FLRW avatar
    Forum posts: 440
    FLRW avatar
    FLRW

You do know that if there were smartphones 2000 years ago there would be no Jesus, don't you?

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 5,474
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    2Pe 3:3 - Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.
    2Pe 3:4 - They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”
    2Pe 3:5 - But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water.
    2Pe 3:6 - By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.
    2Pe 3:7 - By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.
    2Pe 3:8 - But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
    2Pe 3:9 - The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
    2Pe 3:10 - But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.
    2Pe 3:11 - Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives
    2Pe 3:12 - as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.
    2Pe 3:13 - But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.
    2Pe 3:14 - So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him

• Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    So it seems then that not a single person alive in 1st century AD (or after)  witnessed the Christs promised return in their life time as Christ himself says he would.

It was always going to be the case of apologists such as Peter  making excuses to the gullible, ignorant and superstitious of  time that would swallow his feeble excuses - hook line and sinker.  Peter was a fisherman after all.

Christians always will  without fail, scream and stamp their feet and demand that we must listen to what Peter the " rock"  has to say  on the mater when the awkward subject of Jesus' massive failure to return is pointed out to them. Yet the Christians most famous attempt at apologetics and waiving away of this prickly subject  will always be to  point to PETER and particularly verse 2 Peter 3:8:

“With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day”.

Interesting that Jesus makes no mention of this 1day = 1000 years but categorically declares that people living at the time of the promise will witness his return

Is this yet another invention of the gospel writers attempting to to get out of a sticky situation?

When there are many verses telling us that we should listen to the voice of god,  who is it that we should we listen to? Jesus's own words? OR  PETER a man that tells lies - and that denied even knowing Jesus three times! Luke 22:59-62?  PETER,  that was supposed to be "keeping watch" over Jesus but fell asleep three times! that led to Jesus` arrest, trial and barbaric torturous execution? Matthew 26:40?  

• Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    For centuries now many Christians sects have been prophesying the "second coming" and one has to wonder why they even bothered  considering Jesus made it clear at the time that some  ( if not all) of those living at the time would witness his return. 

• zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    Debates: 15
    Forum posts: 3,721
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @ethang5
    So what are the criteria required, to be regarded as spotless and blameless.

I think that is fair to suggest that there are as many spotless and blameless non-christians, as there are christians.

Or are you just referring to having a shower, before going to church wearing your best hat, on Sunday's?....Is that all that it takes to be regarded as worthy?
  • BrotherDThomas
    BrotherDThomas avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 1,477
    BrotherDThomas avatar
    BrotherDThomas
    --> @ethang5

Ethang5, the runaway from biblical axioms about Jesus' true MO, and is on record as stating that Jesus is not the Father which is priceless Bible stupidity, and has now committed the dreadful Unpardonable Sin 3 times,

Within your post #3, and as if you don't have enough embarrassment upon you in not being able to address my posts of the true MO of Jesus, but to only RUN AWAY from them, you proffer passages that totally contradict Stephens passages in his initial post relative to the no-show status of Jesus on His alleged 2nd coming!  Therefore, you once again are proving that the Bible contradicts itself!  

How is one to surmise in which scenario is correct, yours or Stephens, because both contradicting concepts cannot be true at the same time, get it Bible fool?  

BEGIN:

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @zedvictor4
    So what are the criteria required, to be regarded as spotless and blameless.
    Have Christ's righteousness substituted for your own.

I think that is fair to suggest that there are as many spotless and blameless non-christians, as there are christians.
    God will decide. But as Christ is the only spotless and blameless one, good luck to the non-Christian at being spotless and blameless before God.

Or are you just referring to having a shower, before going to church wearing your best hat, on Sunday's?....Is that all that it takes to be regarded as worthy?
    No one is regarded as worthy. Only Jesus is worthy. It is His righteousness that covers us, not our own.

And I was not the one "referring", I was quoting the Bible. 
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @BrotherDThomas
    Hi, I'm Dee Dee. I worship a petty, selfish, homophobic moron!
    Hi Dee Dee! I can see you share many of the traits of the moron you worship.

Let's debate!
    Can morons debate?

Lol! 
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @ethang5
    What about GOD itself?
  • Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    So where was he.?

Are we to believe that he did return but no one noticed?  Not even the disciples gifted with the holy spirit, that enabled them to recognise demons and expel them and   also raise the dead?
    After all, no one seemed to have recognized Elijah when he had come ...........and gone.

But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands."Matthew 17:12
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @zedvictor4
    What about Him?
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    2Pe 3:4 - They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”
    Did Peter know about our comprehension challenged anti-theist?

2Pe 3:5 - But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water.
    Another word for deliberate forgetfulness is "lying".
  • Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    --> @ethang5 @Ragnar
    if anyone wants to be left alone by another member: The first couple steps are asking them to stop, and ceasing engagement yourself. #13  Ragnar

Stay off my threads ethang5.  I don't want to engage you simply so you can bury my threads under your own brainless garbage.  You are far too incapable of holding any type of serious discussion on matters that you claim to believe in and convinced you to become a christian. .

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @Ragnar
    Stay off my threads ethang5.
    You own no threads here Pedro.

I don't want to engage you...
    Then stop @ing me hypocrite. 
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @ethang5
    You say that only Jesus is worthy.

What about his dad?....Who we are told is a GOD.
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @zedvictor4
    God is not a name Z, it is a title. Both Jesus and the Father hold that title. All three members of the Godhead have names. 
  • ronjs
    ronjs avatar
    Forum posts: 206
    ronjs avatar
    ronjs
    --> @Stephen
    Some would not taste death, so it is likely some were translated into heaven without going through the dying process.
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @ethang5
    Who's the third?....Would that be Mr Orange?
  • Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    --> @ronjs
    Some would not taste death, so it is likely some were translated into heaven without going through the dying process.

Really!?  So you have evidence from the New Testament scripture that testifies to this being the case?   I would hate to be accused of trapping you so please  keep this in mind before you answer:

John 3:13  And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 

And he also said :
    Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom”. Matthew16: 27-28.

And then  he also says:

Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened “Matthew24:25-34.

Mark13:26-30 says the same as does Luke21:27-32.

These  verses can only be accepted as any kind of truth when it is understood that Jesus is talking about the end of the age. He makes this perfectly clear when he talks of
    "the signs"

Remember Jesus said these things only after being asked :  "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" Matthew 24:3

It is only then that Jesus goes on to describe "the signs":

saying "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.  All these are the beginning of birth pains".

• ronjs
    ronjs avatar
    ronjs avatar
    ronjs
    --> @Stephen
    The word "likely" indicates that it is speculative, but Enoch and Elijah didn't taste death but were translated directly to heaven according to scripture.
  • Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen
    --> @ronjs
    The word "likely" indicates that it is speculative, but Enoch and Elijah didn't taste death but were translated directly to heaven according to scripture.

I am pleased that it was you that brought that up. Like I said to you  above, I didn't want anyone to accused me of "trapping" you. That is why I specifically ask you above for "New Testament" evidence  and to consider John 3:13  before you rushed to answer. 

And I appreciate and accept your comment in reference to those Old Testament characters.  And I  am pleased that it was YOU  and not me that mentioned Enoch  and Elijah (In Judaism there are others)  because it is you that has highlighted that glaring biblical contradiction of John`s claim , haven't you?

John 3:13  And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 

Now your task is to  explain away  the contradiction highlighted by yourself and why it is that Johns gospel appears to be  contradicting  the Old Testament. .....

and none of this goes anywhere in explaining why Jesus failed to return at the promised time. 

• ronjs
    ronjs avatar
    ronjs avatar
    ronjs
    --> @Stephen
    Actually i don't believe there are any contradictions in scripture, but people continually take verses out of context or ignore what comes before or after it and disregard related verses. 
  • Stephen
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen avatar
    Stephen

Actually i don't believe there are any contradictions in scripture,

But it is you that has highlighted the contradiction yourself. I didn't do that.  And what you believe is irrelevant, it  is the facts that count.  And here, YOU have highlighted John's gospel contradicting YOURSELF and the Old Testament and now you have gone into backpedaling mode.

When I asked you for New Testament evidence YOU took the time to point out to me from the Old Testament>>
    ronjs wrote:  but Enoch and Elijah didn't taste death but were translated directly to heaven according to scripture. #21

See above? You have told us that Enoch and Elijah went to heaven without dying, haven't you? And the Old Testament  agrees with you, doesn't it ?

So one of them is wrong isn't it? 

Look again at what John's gospel has to say>>>  " 

John 3:13  And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 

That is why I specifically asked you for New Testament evidence at #20

But  I had an idea that you would ignore my request and reach directly for  your trusty Old Testament. And  the reason you did this is because you know perfectly well that there isn't a single case of anyone except Jesus going directly to heaven alive in the New Testament. Even Jesus died once before he is said to have  "ascended to heaven", didn't he? 

But this has backed fired on you spectacularly, hasn't it. Because by reaching for the OT  YOU highlighted the glaring biblical contradiction. Not me.

but people continually take verses out of context or ignore what comes before or after it and disregard related verses. 

Well then is all you have to do  is,  first,  correct or at least explain away the biblical contradiction that YOU highlighted,  and second,  put it all into context so we can all understand it . 

You have to explain why the bible says people went directly to heaven alive , and why the bible also says no one went direct to heaven alive except Jesus?  And then explain how  any of this explains Jesus` failure to return as he had promised his disciples he would do in their own lifetimes.