Who here supports political compass as the best online political alignment test?

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 115
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
But if this proposed necessity of government manifests from the imperfection of man, then how does anything less than a perfect government serve as a remedy? To regulate an imperfect people, it's necessary to impose an imperfect government? That's redundant and unnecessary. If we're going to tally up a score between man and government, the government would lose easily as it concerns which of them is closer to "angelic." Governments, for example, have been institutions perpetuation the largest mass murders, and there's not even a close second.

I suppose my question is, what is an imperfect government's value to an imperfect people?
Great question.
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
I suppose my question is, what is an imperfect government's value to an imperfect people?
Being the lesser evil to the thugs that would rule in anarchy.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
LOCAL THUGS > FEDERAL THUGS
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@RationalMadman
@3RU7AL
@Athias
what is an imperfect government's value to an imperfect people?
The best of imperfect governments will be best at preventing total anarchy; the absence of any government. Government, even an imperfect one, will accomplish more for individual rights to be allowed to flourish, while accepting that a minority of individuals will still be anarchists.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
This guy is well spoken and knows some stuff sure, but he is extremely naive.

I confess to not watching it in depth but I can tell where he's going with the video and know his type. Anarchy doesn't work in any way other than 'rule by thuggery'. All other variants of anarchy are theoretical, idealistic fluff. Only brutal, gangster anarchy has any pragmatic validity to it and it's not a good societal outcome to aim for.

fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
A total negation of government
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
A total negation of government
What is "government"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
"Government" doesn't work in any way other than 'rule by thuggery'.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
The general idea of having a 2 dimensional as opposed to 1 dimensional scale is nice, a graph is slightly better than a line. The specific questions asked by the specific website you link however are in my opinion deeply flawed.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Please let me know if you find one you personally consider, "less wrong".
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
I agree with many of the flaws pointed out by posters here, but another thing I noticed is that the questions are so specific to our time period rather than just timeless generalized questions. Take this test back 150 years and people would be confused about a lot of the questions and their relation to politics, ex. the questions regarding terrorism etc.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@3RU7AL
I am not aware of any other tests that use the 2-D graph format as a measurement standard. Actually I am pretty sure I remember something about politicalcompass.com trademarking it so that nobody else could but I may be mistaken on that.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Do you perhaps see anyone you might tend to agree with on this chart?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@3RU7AL
That Ghandi Guy seems pretty chill.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@3RU7AL
If you're referring to prison, that's society who came up with it because they want retribution more than rehabilitation. In fact, government-run prisons tend to be more merciful than privatised prisons so I don't understand your point.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
Evil can be quantified? How much evil is enough for you?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
I don't understand your question.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
The argument is fairly sound when sustaining his definitions; I however wouldn't sustain them. I cannot speak for all anarchists, but I can say that we're not all united in uprooting and eliminating "power." The unifying notion of anarachism is that government arbitration in its attempt to regulate how one behaves oneself is illegitimate. And if society is merely a composite of individuals behaving oneself, the government has no legitimacy in regulating the interactions of individuals or groups.

I also took note of the speaker's gerrymandering a description of raising the costs of "life-saving medicine" into his cited definition of violence.

Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
I don't understand your question.
I believe you do. Suggesting a "lesser" of two evils implicates quantity. How else would you presume to relate two incidents, for example, compare them, and call one "less" evil? Case in point: if I have a daughter, and I decide to rape her, would that be "less evil" than murdering her? On one hand, one could argue that if I raped her, she'd still be alive, albeit with a traumatic experience where her father betrays her. On the other hand, if I murder her, I can spare her a life of reliving a traumatic experience of my aforementioned raping. What if I did both? Does the evil increase? If your argument against anarchy reduces to a nebulous quantitative argument, then I'm asking you: how much evil is enough for you? And if you don't understand this, it's because you intuitively grasp that evil has no amount, thereby rendering your conclusion of "lesser of two evils" incoherent. "Lesser of evils" RationalMadman is nothing more than a pretext used to justify the proclivity for evil. You're not "less evil" because you subscribe to a notion that an independent drug dealer who extorts you without veneer is "worse" than being extorted by an agency which purports to protect you.
Athias
Athias
-->
@fauxlaw
The best of imperfect governments will be best at preventing total anarchy; the absence of any government. Government, even an imperfect one, will accomplish more for individual rights to be allowed to flourish, while accepting that a minority of individuals will still be anarchists.
How can a government accomplish more for individual rights to flourish if its very capacity is to undermine it? The most fundamental aspect of individual rights is individual sovereignty. How does a sovereign government, which presumes an authority which it exercises to determine capacity in which one can be an individual, allow that to happen?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
You must make one hell of a bad strategist in more situations than just politics if your solution to any situation where imperfection is present is to go 'choose nothing'.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Suggesting a "lesser" of two evils implicates quantity.
Great point.
Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
You must make one hell of a bad strategist in more situations than just politics
Irrelevant.

if your solution to any situation where imperfection is present is to go 'choose nothing'.
That's what we're calling evil now? "Imperfection?" And I don't choose nothing; I choose me; I choose you (POKéMON!) and anyone else to express their individuality as they see fit so long as it does not infract upon another's capacity to do the same.