Our most basic axioms

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 1,302
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Exactly so why do you bring up life as an argument?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Exactly so why do you bring up life as an argument?
Because you are alive.

Me too!

I am also alive!

It's something we have in common.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
But you and I weren’t the narrative, the narrative was a hypothetical psychopath.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
But you and I weren’t the narrative, the narrative was a hypothetical psychopath.
And, the hypothetical psychopath is ALSO alive.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Not if there without other humans.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Not if there without other humans.
Yes, a hypothetical psychopath cannot survive without other hypothetical people.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
No one involved in the conversation is a nihilist. Unless you are making some argument that someone ought to be and then I would like to know on what grounds?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Yes, a hypothetical psychopath cannot survive without other hypothetical people.
And I’m asking what’s the point of bringing that up unless your trying to argue that we have to live.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
No one involved in the conversation is a nihilist. 
Boy does this argument sound familiar, I have to ask because I’m genuinely concerned, is going around in a circle a goal for you in this discussion? Because that’s what you started by saying that, do you want me bring back up my previous post that’s responsive to that?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I don't know it feels like we are going around in circles anyway. I think it might be easier to just not concern ourselves with nihilists or psychopaths unless they get a large enough lobby together to effect legislation. Does that sound fair?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
And I’m asking what’s the point of bringing that up unless your trying to argue that we have to live.
Nobody claims that you have to live.

I'm only acknowledging the fact that in order to participate in this conversation (or any conversation for that matter) you must necessarily be alive (and conscious).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
I think it might be easier to just not concern ourselves with nihilists or psychopaths unless they get a large enough lobby together to effect legislation.
Are you talking about corporations?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
No one involved in the conversation is a nihilist.
(IFF) "nihilist" = someone who subscribes to "subjective morality" (THEN) I am a "nihilist"
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
No, and my reason why is something that I’ve stressed many times so let’s see how well you’ve been paying attention, how about you take a guess as to why my answer is no (BTW I plan on giving you the answer regardless just trying to have a little fun here).
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm only acknowledging the fact that in order to participate in this conversation (or any conversation for that matter) you must necessarily be alive (and conscious).
Yes, and I’m asking so what?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Yes, and I’m asking so what?
(IFF) you are capable and willing to participate in this conversation (THEN) you have a "survival instinct" and "social instinct" (AND) this means that you have developed some survival strategy that very likely involves caring about the general welfare of at least one other person
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
For the second time partakers in this discussion isn’t the narrative, the narrative was a hypothetical psychopath, you keep trying to draw a connection that doesn’t exist.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
why my answer is no
Is it because you have no idea how to make your point without setting up a false dichotomy between a psychotic nihilist and your personally preferred belief in morality which you still haven't fully explained? 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
How is it a false dichotomy?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
A dichotomy is only a true dichotomy if there is no possible third option. Since it is possible to not believe in objective morality and also not be a psychotic nihilist there must exist at least a third option. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
For the second time partakers in this discussion isn’t the narrative, the narrative was a hypothetical psychopath, you keep trying to draw a connection that doesn’t exist.
(IFF) you are capable of participation in this conversation (THEN) you have a "survival instinct" and "social instinct" (AND) this means that you have developed some survival strategy that very likely involves caring about the general welfare of at least one other person

This statement does not exclude a hypothetical psychopath.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Since it is possible to not believe in objective morality and also not be a psychotic nihilist there must exist at least a third option. 
That “option” means nothing if you can’t validate, and you’ve yet to validate whatever it is you believe.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
this means that you have developed some survival strategy that very likely involves caring about the general welfare of at least one other person
How so? The only conclusion I drew from that is you care about yourself.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Since it is possible to not believe in objective morality and also not be a psychotic nihilist there must exist at least a third option. 
That “option” means nothing if you can’t validate, and you’ve yet to validate whatever it is you believe.
Do you believe it is possible to be a moral person when the specific details of an "objective moral code" are unknown?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
this means that you have developed some survival strategy that very likely involves caring about the general welfare of at least one other person
How so? The only conclusion I drew from that is you care about yourself.
Because I care about myself, I must necessarily care about the other people that are integral to my wellbeing.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
you have a "survival instinct" and "social instinct" 
So what about suicidal antisocial people?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
you have a "survival instinct" and "social instinct" 
So what about suicidal antisocial people?
The "suicidal" people are desperate for human attention.

And the "antisocial" people are desperate for human attention (even "negative" attention).
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Don’t generalize, you can’t possibly know every single case.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Don’t generalize, you can’t possibly know every single case.
What's your personally preferred theory of the contributing factors that lead to "suicidal tendencies"?