Our most basic axioms

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 1,302
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
This is how the scrutinizing of ideas works. You try to break them with logic and science and whatever is proven wrong or unfalsifiable is dismissed as likely untrue. That is how logical validitation works. 

IF you MUST either objectively prove objective meaning OR you should immediately stop caring about all human life including your own AND IF you cannot objectively prove any objectuve meaning THEN regardless of any actual objective meaning your INABILITY to objectivively prove it NECESSARILY means that you should stop caring about all human life including your own.

This is my best understanding of your most basic argument although you haven't been structuring your arguments very neatly so I cleaned it up a bit. If that is problematic feel free to rephrase but if it doesn't change the basic meaning then I DON'T CARE. I am not sifting through more than a thousand posts though you are welcome to especially if it significantly changes your argument. 

Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You try to break them with logic and science and whatever is proven wrong or unfalsifiable is dismissed as likely untrue.
You didn’t break anything with logic and science instead you ran with your own narrative and claim it’s based on mine (which it isn’t).
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
You didn’t break anything with logic and science instead you ran with your own narrative and claim it’s based on mine (which it isn’t).
Well IF I genuinely misunderstand what you are saying AND IF you care about my full understanding of YOUR argument THEN it would benefit that goal to restate or even rephrase your original argument which I have misunderstood. Feel free to use definitions liberally but be careful about defining things out of existence. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Let me rephrase. That may not have been an exact quote but it is my understanding of your argument. 

IF you cannot prove objective meaning for your life THEN you should stop caring about all human life even your own.

Is the above not a concept you were trying to communicate with me?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
What’s wrong with the direct quote? Why don’t you understand it as it is? I’ve had it up to here with you adding extra variables to elementary stuff, I don’t know if it’s to throw me off or what but I’m not having it anymore, so if you want to take this discussion to the next level then let me know by cutting out the bs.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
I don't see how we can move on to anything without agreeing to what your basic argument means. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You can break it down word by word if that’s what it takes, Google is free if you don’t know what one of the words mean the dictionary is available to you.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
This is not a gotcha test. I have legitimate concerns with your logical structure if your logic doesn't follow to other ideas. That is how we use logic.

Can we look exclusively at the STRUCTURE 0f the next syllogism and without evaluating if it is true or false just tell me if the CONCLUSION follows from the PREMISES.

Premise 1 Elvis Presley was one of the greats.

Premise 2 the greats will never die.

Conclusion 3 Elvis Presley  is still alive.

Forget our larger argument for just a moment and just evaluate the STRUCTURE of this argument. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
You can break it down word by word if that’s what it takes, Google is free if you don’t know what one of the words mean the dictionary is available to you.
My best understanding of the words you used as according to Google in the form of an IF A THEN B syllogism is as follows. 

IF you cannot prove objective meaning for your life THEN you should stop caring about all human life even your own.

If this is not the ESSENCE of your argument then please explain the practical difference so that I can refine my personal understanding of YOUR argument. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I have legitimate concerns with your logical structure
Why? You never give specifics as to what it is that confuses you, you accuse me of being pedantic yet you want to make your changes and argue that they’re based on mine, your the one that’s pedantic.

Also if you see no difference between both arguments then you wouldn’t feel the need to add the extra variables so take my argument as it is.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
I am more concerned with your meaning than your words.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Well maybe you should be concerned with both.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Well maybe you should be concerned with both.
You can't remember exactly what you said either huh? And like me you just don't care to dig through our whole long tap dance as we circle the actual issue and are now apparently still arguing about use of terms.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I don't at all blame you...

So now what? 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You can't remember exactly what you said either huh? 
No, I remember I can post it again if you like but make no mistake I have no use for your premise and conclusion, unless it’s in regards to your own arguments I’m very capable of speaking for myself I don’t need you speaking for me, modifying, or tweaking anything. Have I made myself clear?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
What if I don't understand what you mean or disagree with how you are using a term?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
How will I ask for clarification of any kind if you are unable or unwilling to rephrase your arguments?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I would ask for specifics as to what you don’t understand, or what term you disagree with then we can debate the proper use of the term which can be easily resolved through the reference of a dictionary. Rephrasing my argument isn’t the solution the solution is getting you to understand my argument as it is, because in that case any troll can play dumb and request rephrasing to no end and I’m not falling for that.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Why did you ask me to change my words when I was perfectly happy with the words I was using and their descriptive meaning if you are not willing to do the same?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
What are you referencing to specifically?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Nihilism
the rejection of all religious and moral principles,

Moral principles the principles of right and wrong that are accepted by an individual or a social group 

If you are accepting these definitions then just accepting that some things are even just legally right or wrong disqualifies you from being a nihilist. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I never told you not to use the words nihilism, moral, or principles unless you have a direct quote from me than that’s just another flat out lie not worthy of being paid any attention.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Separate issues. You told me not to use subjective meaning in any context whatsoever regardless of my intended definition. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You can simply say what you intend you don’t have to mislabel it by calling it subjective meaning.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
If we fundamentally disagree on what meaning is how shall we resolve the issue?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
We resolve the issue by you proving your definition.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Why don't we solve it by proving your definition?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Nihilists don’t believe in meaning.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Nihilists don’t believe in meaning.
What does this mean?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You tell me, your the one arguing in favor of it.