Our most basic axioms

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 1,302
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
You tell me, your the one arguing in favor of it.
That's silly. You are the one who said it. I have been very clear that I am not a nihilist and I am not arguing as one so if you are maybe you had better tell me what you meant when you said those words in that order.
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I never said subjective meaning exists you did, so you prove it.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Meaning (as per google)
what is meant by a word, text, concept, or action.
Subjective (as per google) 
dependent on the mind or on an individual's perception for its existence.

What is MEANT by a word, text, concept, or action is by definition dependent on the mind or an individual's perception for their existences. Meaning cannot be other than subjective given the google definitions you have agreed to accept. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
What is MEANT by a word, text, concept, or action is by definition dependent on the mind or an individual's perception for their existences.
No it’s not.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
What is MEANT by a word, text, concept, or action is by definition dependent on the mind or an individual's perception for their existences.
No it’s not.
In order to have MEANT something by my word or action I must have a mind. Is that bot something we generally accept?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Meant is the past tense and past participle of mean

Mean
intend to convey, indicate, or refer to (a particular thing or notion); signify.
To intend or refer to, to indicate or signify anything I must have a mind. 

It is completely predicated on there being a mind and so it is subjective. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
The second subset of the noun meaning is most relevant to the context of this discussion, important or worthwhile quality; purpose.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
The second subset of the noun meaning is most relevant to the context of this discussion, important or worthwhile quality; purpose.
All of those are subjective qualities. Important and worthwhile are judgement values and judgements are dependent on a mind to do the judging and purpose requires a goal and a goal requires an acting agent for whom that goal subjectively applies.

The meaning of meaning you have subjectively chosen to represent your idea of objective seems to be subjective 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
If we fundamentally disagree on what meaning is how shall we resolve the issue?
By not discussing it, especially since I’m no longer arguing in favor of objective meaning.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
By not discussing it, 
That is tantamount to conceding the point that meaning is NECESSARILY subjective. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
How?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
So far every definition presented leads unequivocally to meaning being subjective. Unless you REJECT our current working definition AND suggest an alternative definition you are defacto agreeing that meaning IS necessarily subjective. 

If we have resolved this point we can move on.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
So far every definition presented leads unequivocally to meaning being subjective.
I never conceded to this, so once again that’s another flat out lie you told.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
All of those are subjective qualities. Important and worthwhile are judgement values and judgements are dependent on a mind to do the judging and purpose requires a goal and a goal requires an acting agent for whom that goal subjectively applies.

The meaning of meaning you have subjectively chosen to represent your idea of objective seems to be subjective 
So far every definition presented leads unequivocally to meaning being subjective.
I never conceded to this, so once again that’s another flat out lie you told.
Not a lie an observation. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You observe me saying the words “I concede” or anything remotely close? I’m sure you don’t so unless you have a direct quote then like I said before it’s a flat out lie period.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
By not discussing it, 
That is tantamount to conceding the point that meaning is NECESSARILY subjective. 
So if you don't concede the alternatives is to further discuss, to offer an alternative definition, to rephrase, restate or reformulate your argument. These are the alternatives to conceding the point. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
That logic is incredibly flawed, so if you have your own preferences pertaining to music and you ask me mine and I opt not to discuss it in your mind that means I agree with you? You’re even more far gone than I thought because that makes absolutely no sense.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
That logic is incredibly flawed, so if you have your own preferences pertaining to music and you ask me mine and I opt not to discuss it in your mind that means I agree with you? 
Not at all. I do however assume that your taste in music and mine are subjective. In the matter of meaning I am actually quite glad you have agreed to a definition. A specific definition can be examined and its qualities (such as subjectivism) can be determined. Once we have agreed to our subjective standard (definitions by Google) we can make objective statements... like this one.

According to Google's definition of meaning it is necessarily subjective being compromised of judgement values and goals.

If you disagree with that statement please explain what I am misunderstanding specifically.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Not at all.
Then keep the same energy in regards to this.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Not at all.
Then keep the same energy in regards to this.
I will but this is not a subject that you have made no past discussion of such as music. I promise not to just assume that you like thriller but you offered a specific definition (thank you).

YOUR offered definition. This is the only thing I am basing my evaluation on. If YOU now disagree with the definition YOU have offered then YOU should probably further discuss, offer an alternative definition or rephrase, restate or reformulate your argument.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
but you offered a specific definition (thank you).
And I later said to forget about the definition (or any definition for that matter) not that it’s subjective but to just forget about all of it all together for arguments sake.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
And I later said to forget about the definition (or any definition for that matter) not that it’s subjective but to just forget about all of it all together for arguments sake.
If we are not accepting any definition of any word the froppynewtz in your sleezeper you jiffybug stundermoose and a good bat exception wellwether bell.

Without some definition that we can agree on words become so much nonsense and we are incapable of having a conversation. If YOU are unwilling to accept ANY definition then YOU are going to be incapable of communicating. 

Now if one of the above paragraphs made more sense than the other I think you know what that means. In having this discussion and using words you are defacto agreeing with some definitions. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
If we are not accepting any definition of any word
Don’t be dramatic, I didn’t say ANY word.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Don’t be dramatic, I didn’t say ANY word.
I only insist on a definition of those words which are under discussion. If meaning has NO DEFINITION than it becomes nonsense to say "there is no meaning" in as much as it is nonsense to say "there are no poofleswammers". 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
For arguments sake I’ll ride with that, let’s move on.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
let’s move on.
Not until this is resolved. WHETHER OR NOT meaning exists we are accepting definitions by Google and according to Google any meaning that did exist would NECESSARILY and DEFINITIONALLY have to be subjective. 

True or false.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You already conceded to my argument several posts back so I basically got what I wanted from you already, have a nice day ✌🏾 .

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
You already conceded to my argument several posts back 
I do not accept your premises and when I tried to construct a logically valid syllogism using them you objected. I'm not sure that counts as conceding to whatever your point actually is.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
My point is having desire makes no sense and judging by this quote

having that desire makes no sense
you agree, I rest my case.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Please don't post a sentence fragment you have quote minded for the express purpose of taking out of context as though it constitutes some agreement upon my part. That was part of the valid syllogism I was trying to construct using your argument in order to better understand it. You can claim I didn't understand that argument but you cannot pretend I agree with it.