Our most basic axioms

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 1,302
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Then I'm not sure how the concept alleviates your general sense of confusion about the universe. 
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
How can you say that if I can’t explain the concept?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
How can you say that if I can’t explain the concept?
Well maybe I'm misunderstanding but I don't know how a being that defies description makes the universe less confusing rather than more. Care to explain?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
The mind as a part of and contained within the mass can desire....We know that

Any implication was yours to make.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
@fauxlaw
I originally had a profile.....But it disappeared at some point, and I've never got around to re-doing it.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@secularmerlin
My most basic axiom is...

The universe is singular; I am the universe.

Yeah I know—real cringe. 

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
more or less at face value
Yep.

Also, regarding the apparent unfalsifiability, (iff) "i" didn't "exist" (then) "i" could not think "i" "exist"

Therefore, "i" am a logical necessity.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Reece101
I am the universe.
If this is not just another way of saying I think therefore I am would you care to elaborate?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@3RU7AL
Yes "I" am a logical necessity for me not however for you. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
I  believe that arguments stand or fall on their own and I am reluctant to share details on line. My identity is unimportant to assessing my most basic axiom or any of the arguments that follow from it.
Claims of credentials and experience count for nothing.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
Yes "I" am a logical necessity for me not however for you. 
PHANERON.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@3RU7AL
I  believe that arguments stand or fall on their own and I am reluctant to share details on line. My identity is unimportant to assessing my most basic axiom or any of the arguments that follow from it.
Claims of credentials and experience count for nothing.
That is perhaps going a little further than I would go but unfortunately for anyone having a discussion with me here you will have to draw on the credentials and experience that I have accrued here rather than any real life equivalents. That said you are correct that while experience and credentials can help us separate experts from laymen in the end they do not make you right.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@secularmerlin
If this is not just another way of saying I think therefore I am would you care to elaborate?
Any concept is an expression of thought and therefore existence. 
My axiom if far more expansive. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Reece101
Any concept is an expression of thought and therefore existence. 
My axiom if far more expansive. 
I invite you to elaborate then.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@secularmerlin
I invite you to elaborate then.
What do you want me to elaborate on?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Reece101
Well elaborate means to add further explanation and/or information.

Specifically if by thinking being an expression of existence means more than "when I have a thought that thought exists" would like to know exactly what it does mean and perhaps even what it means for a thought to exist at all.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
I can however be certain that this is the only reality of which I am aware.
Don't you have "dreams"?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@secularmerlin
Well elaborate means to add further explanation and/or information.

Specifically if by thinking being an expression of existence means more than "when I have a thought that thought exists" would like to know exactly what it does mean and perhaps even what it means for a thought to exist at all.
Do you think it can mean more? Though it says nothing about how expansive a concepts totality can be relative to another. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
You literally said emotions is the sole reason behind your decisions, what did you mean to accomplish by telling me that? That being impulsive is reasonable? Are you suggesting that I should be impulsive in that same regard?
EVERYTHING YOU DO IS CAUSED BY E-MOTION.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@3RU7AL
I can however be certain that this is the only reality of which I am aware.
Don't you have "dreams"?
Good point. I am also aware of a "reality" where I am awkwardly perched on roller skates while trying ineffectively to perform the duties associated with my dayjob for example. I cannot decisively prove that it isnot a real situation but it is not a "reality" which "exists" reliably or linearly or that gives me any actionable data. I'll let you know if that changes. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Reece101
It seems like you are saying I think therefore I am in a way that you feel is more "you". If that is accurate we can leave it at that. If there is more to it or if you would like to further explore how this effects your thinking and beliefs however you are free to explain further.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
The universe is singular; I am the universe.
MONISM.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@3RU7AL
Monism is too ambiguous for me.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
how a being that defies description makes the universe less confusing rather than more.
Then I won’t argue in favor of a being, you asked me what I believe and I told you, whether or not I can prove it is a separate narrative.

“in order for our lives to have meaning we need to be punished or rewarded in some capacity otherwise it’s fair to question why do we care if the universe is so uncaring, after all aren’t we at our core extensions of the universe?”

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
(IFF) GOOD = HEAVEN (AND) HEAVEN = HAPPINESS (AND) GOOD = HAPPINESS (AND) HEROIN = HAPPINESS (THEN) HEROIN = GOOD
Heroin may equal happiness but happiness doesn’t equal heroin just like apples equals fruits but fruits doesn’t equal apples.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
Any implication was yours to make.
The only one making implications is you when you asserted that the mind supersedes reality.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
Ego dilecto meo et dilectus meus
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Then I won’t argue in favor of a being, you asked me what I believe and I told you, whether or not I can prove it is a separate narrative.
At the moment I would settle for knowing exactly what it is you are arguing for. You say you believe in theism which is very vague. You say you believe in some concept (possibly a being but maybe not) and that this somehow makes the universe less confusing for you. You also seem to be implying that if reality or at least some subset of reality that you label god chooses not to care about and judges us (or is mindless and so is incapable of caring) that it seems senseless to you that we would be able to care about anything or judge any actions or attitudes as preferable to any others (paraphrasing and only because you haven't actually explained in detail what about a mindless reality you find so upsetting) despite the fact that we clearly do care about things and judge some actions or attitudes as preferable to any others (observable fact) and no god(s) would seem to be in evidence (not an observable fact).

All this leaves me with more questions than answers. Firstly and just as an example if we are assuming some god(s) exists what possible reason is there to think that god(s) care about us or anything? And absent any concrete reason to think that any god(s) care about anything how does this help you avoid the trap of nihilism that you assume I must be falling victim to?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
(IFF) GOOD = HEAVEN (AND) HEAVEN = HAPPINESS (AND) GOOD = HAPPINESS (AND) HEROIN = HAPPINESS (THEN) HEROIN = GOOD
Heroin may equal happiness but happiness doesn’t equal heroin just like apples equals fruits but fruits doesn’t equal apples.
Please modify the equation to better suit your preference.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
HEROIN = HEAVEN