Our most basic axioms

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 1,302
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
(IFF) GOOD = HEAVEN (AND) HEAVEN = HAPPINESS (AND) GOOD = HAPPINESS (AND) HEROIN = HAPPINESS (THEN) HEROIN = GOOD
Heroin may equal happiness but happiness doesn’t equal heroin just like apples equals fruits but fruits doesn’t equal apples.
If fruit=happiness and apples=fruit then apples=happiness. I don't see a problem with this. Let us say legos also equal happiness. That just makes 

LEGOS=HAPPINESS=GOOD=GOD

Equally valid to 

HEROIN=HAPPINESS=GOOD=GOD

It doesn't invalidate either.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
Good point. I am also aware of a "reality" where I am awkwardly perched on roller skates while trying ineffectively to perform the duties associated with my dayjob for example. I cannot decisively prove that it isnot a real situation but it is not a "reality" which "exists" reliably or linearly or that gives me any actionable data. I'll let you know if that changes. 
Am I a butterfly dreaming of what it might be like to live as a human?

Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
what possible reason is there to think that god(s) care about us or anything?
I said nothing of God in my last post.

And absent any concrete reason to think that any god(s) care about anything how does this help you avoid the trap of nihilism that you assume I must be falling victim to?
When did I say you fell victim to nihilism?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
I’m fine with anything as long as heroin is left out.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
I’m fine with anything as long as heroin is left out.
Ok, how does the promise of eternal happiness give your life meaning?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
It means you were a good person.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
That’s not a promise.
Do you have an eternal happiness contract?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Why?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
What leads you to believe you will enjoy eternal happiness?

Who and or what told you this?

How can I adopt your confidence?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
what possible reason is there to think that god(s) care about us or anything?
I said nothing of God in my last post.
Unless you have stopped believing in one it is still pertinent to the conversation. 

And absent any concrete reason to think that any god(s) care about anything how does this help you avoid the trap of nihilism that you assume I must be falling victim to?
When did I say you fell victim to nihilism?
When you suggested that the only possible alternative to theism is nihilism. How exactly do we come to the conclusion that some god(s) by necessity provide any purpose?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
The answer is in the question it’s pretty self explanatory.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Unless you have stopped believing in one it is still pertinent to the conversation. 
Only if I’m arguing in favor of Him which I’m not.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Only if I’m arguing in favor of Him which I’m not.
Then I'm not sure what you are arguing. If you can decide what that is and communicate it then get back to me.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
“in order for our lives to have meaning we need to be punished or rewarded in some capacity otherwise it’s fair to question why do we care if the universe is so uncaring, after all aren’t we at our core extensions of the universe?”
This is my argument.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
In order for our lives to have meaning we need to be punished or rewarded in some capacity otherwise it’s fair to question why do we care if the universe is so uncaring, after all aren’t we at our core extensions of the universe?
Ok why? What do punishment and reward even have to do with meaning?

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
“The answer is in the question it’s pretty self explanatory.”
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
It is not self explanatory to me but since you find it so obvious surely you can explain the link.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
The answer is in the question it’s pretty self explanatory.
What leads you to believe you will experience eternal happiness?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
What do punishment and reward even have to do with meaning?
It MEANS if you live this way you’ll be punished and if you live another you’ll be rewarded therefore you should live by the latter.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
I don’t know what I’ll experience.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
What do punishment and reward even have to do with meaning?
It MEANS if you live this way you’ll be punished and if you live another you’ll be rewarded therefore you should live by the latter.
Are you suggesting that a wild animal should avoid pain (punishment) and pursue pleasure (reward), and this will give its life (moral) meaningfulness?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
I don’t know what I’ll experience.
Does this suggest you don't know if your life has any meaning?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
I do not consider something right or wrong solely based on how it would benefit me. I find that a very selfish philosophy although I may have misunderstood what you are saying. 

I also do not consider something more or less correct dependent upon whether or not some cosmic hall monitor is paying attention. It seems like an abdication of moral responsibility when the adult thing to do is to take responsibility for one's own actions.

I invite any correction if I have somehow misunderstood. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@3RU7AL
Does this suggest you don't know if your life has any meaning?
No, it MEANS I don’t know if I will experience punishment or reward.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
No, it MEANS I don’t know if I will experience punishment or reward.
There seems to be no sufficient evidence to suggest you will experience anything post mortum whatsoever. Nothing good. Nothing bad. Just nothing. You know, exactly what you experienced before you were born. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I do not consider something right or wrong solely based on how it would benefit me.
We clearly have different views on the words right and wrong so if you’re gonna use your idea of it in your argument then I request that you prove it.

I also do not consider something more or less correct dependent upon whether or not some cosmic hall monitor is paying attention.
Don’t mock me.

There seems to be no sufficient evidence to suggest you will experience anything post mortum whatsoever.
Then 

“it’s fair to question why do we care if the universe is so uncaring, after all aren’t we at our core extensions of the universe?”

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
I do not consider something right or wrong solely based on how it would benefit me.
We clearly have different views on the words right and wrong so if you’re gonna use your version of it in your argument then I request that you prove it.
I don't care what standard you use your actions do not become more ethical based on how they benefit you unless nothing takes ethical priority over your own self gratification. Is your highest ethical priority your own personal wellbeing? 

I also do not consider something more or less correct dependent upon whether or not some cosmic hall monitor is paying attention.
Don’t mock me.
I am not mocking you. I am being as honest as I possibly can be. Regardless of the standard you use unless your highest ethical priority is what others (or even just one other) think of you then whether or not someone is looking does not have any effect on the ethical content of your actions.

On a separate note I am starting to think you are conflating moral pronouncements for a moral standard. Upholding dignity or justice or promoting welfare are all ethical standards. You shouldn't kill people all willy nilly is a moral pronouncement.

A moral standard allows us to make ethical determinations. Moral pronouncements are just a list of dictates to follow by rote and without personal ethical consideration or reflection. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
There seems to be no sufficient evidence to suggest you will experience anything post mortum whatsoever.
Then 

“it’s fair to question why do we care if the universe is so uncaring, after all aren’t we at our core extensions of the universe?”
IF the universe doesn't give the impression that it cares AND people give the impression that they do care THEN we are left with the impression that people care despite the universe not because of it.

IF you cannot care about things without knowing why you care THEN I may have some bad news for you since many whys don't have an answer within the limits of human epistemology. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tarik
Does this suggest you don't know if your life has any meaning?
No, it MEANS I don’t know if I will experience punishment or reward.
How do you know what to do?

And, are you suggesting that your life is just as meaningful if you receive eternal torture (instead of eternal happiness)?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Is your highest ethical priority your own personal wellbeing? 
My highest ethical priority is simply being ethical.

I am not mocking you.
Then why’d you mention a cosmic hall monitor?

whether or not someone is looking does not have any effect on the ethical content of your actions.
Please take your own advice here, if you’re not going to demonstrate your definition of ethics then you can’t make an argument for it.

On a separate note I am starting to think you are conflating moral pronouncements for a moral standard.
What makes you think that?