Total: 32
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
I think that the only element of sentience that AI will never comprehend or experience is sexuality.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@The_Meliorist
Ah, I remember this argument - thanks philosophy - you're arguing qualia. Essentially that there is an experiential difference between a computer simply having the coding for "understanding" coding, and a human learning coding. For Mary's room its simply the "experience" of seeing red versus the actual scientific terms of seeing red. Its interesting for any beginning thinker for sure.

Unfortunately, the arguments themselves are... lacking, to say the least.

The arguments or experiments are trying to demonstrate that there is a factual difference between experiencing something and something simply existing, sure. The argument then uses that premise to argue that A.I cannot experience things as humans can, that's the part where I have a problem. All the experiment does is pull your intuitive shoe strings. There is no difference between manipulating meaningless symbols and "understanding" letters. It is the same thing.

How do you think Hellen Keller walked around and functioned like any normal human being? Well, the same way you would make a hard A.I, by stumbling around with concepts being introduced and reintroduce until she could recognize them, even without "experiencing them". There is no difference in the information being received, only how, there is, therefore, nothing lost. Unless you could demonstrate that something was lost?

The problem with Qualia, in general, is that it relies on assumptions and intuition, not hard syllogistic logic.