Civil Rights/Equality Act

Author: Danielle

Total: 59
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
Today the Equality Act was reintroduced to Congress. The Equality Act would provide consistent and explicit anti-discrimination protections for LGBT people across key areas of life, including employment, housing, credit, education, federally funded programs and jury service. As it stands, LGBT people can be fired from their jobs, evicted from their homes, or denied service from businesses in the majority of states simply for being who they are (or who their parents are). 

The Equality Act is expected to pass easily in the House, but struggle in the Senate.  Ten Republicans would be needed to reach the 60 votes to end a filibuster on the legislation, and right now it doesn't look like they have the votes.  

I don't understand why Republicans have a problem with this bill. Isn't firing someone for being gay CANCEL CULTURE? I assumed they would be eager to mitigate Cancel Culture and make sure people aren't discriminated against simply because you don't like them or the way they live, but surprise!  It turns out conservatives feel very strongly about their right to discriminate and ban or cancel people at their discretion 🤪

The Civil Rights Act bans discrimination on the basis of sex, race,  religion, etc. and I don't think anyone but libertarians (i.e. very few people) would say they believe you should be allowed to legally discriminate against someone's race --  so why is sexuality different? Sexual orientation is not a choice; it is an inherent part of one's identity. So unless you believe ALL discrimination should be legal, I don't understand the right-wing argument for excluding sexuality as a protected class. 

At best there is the ridiculously bad argument about "not wanting kids to learn what sexuality is."  Why would you have to talk about sex explicitly when acknowledging one's identity? "This is Danielle's wife" is not any more risqué or sexual than saying "this is Danielle's husband."   Drawing pictures of families in kindergarten and one student drawing two moms is not any more risqué or sexual than drawing a kid with a mother and father. You don't need to talk about sex when it comes to families or relationships. 

Since sexuality is an immutable characteristic which has been verified by psychologists for decades, why do Republicans cling to the idea that you can discriminate against gay people with impunity? If they think you should be able to fire someone for being gay, why is it wrong to fire them for being black or being Christian? Religion actually ISN'T inherent to one's identity (unless you're Jewish lol) so why is it wrong to fire someone for being Catholic? Why don't Republicans push to get rid of the Civil Rights Act entirely? 
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
From a utilitarian persepctive I see it as balancing the interests of people getting what they want (i.e. they want to discriminate for whatever reason) against the interests of the people being discriminated against. I'm generally in favor of the small owner exceptions (e.g. the cake nonsense) because there are a lot of small business owners. The interests balance differently with a large business entity where a single person or a small group of people can use their power to adversely affect large swaths of the population.

Republicans have a problem with the bill because their voters have a problem with it. There's not really any justification for it. They just "don't like it". I don't personally see any difference, morally, from the various types of discrimination that aren't related to legitimate business purposes. There's pretty rampant discrimination against ugly people, short people, left handed (not so much in this culture) people, etc. that is all just the same to me as racial discrimination but is legal for the most part.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
LBGT are not covered under existing provisions for sexual discrimination?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
I think the only real objection to the Act is that it destroys Title IX protections for women by allowing trans-women to use the same metric as women. I think it's fine though since most women think there are negligible biological differences anyway. Most women shouldn't mind sharing the road.

The religious freedom arguments don't really hold water.
Death23
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
"only covered employment and in many states LGBTQ people still lack non-discrimination protections in housing, public accommodations, public education, federal funding, credit, and jury service which would be covered under the Equality Act."

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Danielle
It makes a lot of sense why they are against the bill, so I will play devil's advocate for a moment here.

1. They are generally very religious if they oppose LGBT being protected. They see it as an unhealthy and unnatural thing, especially T.
  2. They don't generally support legislation that forces business to hire or not fire a certain type of person or to meet strict quotas. They see the freedom for a business to hire and fire aa the boss(es) please as superior in importance to the right of minorities to be protected and businesses to readily give them job opportunities.
  3. There is a failed attack you bring up about cancel culture and how they'd oppose someone being fired for being Christian. They'd accept that, then they'd indeed use cancel culture to boycott said business. In other words, they do actually embrace cancel culture and your attack is based on the idea they are inherently against it. They aren't, instead they believe in financial repercussions rather than legal ones, where the citizens enforce their ethics rather than the government.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Danielle
Is there an exemption for religious organizations? If there isn't, I don't know why you expect to get the votes on it lol. If there is, then I'd need to read the actual text to see what they actually want to do. Most GOP don't even care about gay marriage anymore, so I doubt they'll risk vandalism to their house over a No vote.

Since you specifically outline employment, which gays are guaranteed non-discrimination with barring the religious exemption, I'm assuming that either you are reading some old form of the bill from before the SCOTUS case or that they want to strip the religious exemption.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Danielle
  If LGBT person Dave wants to charge $50,000 a year and some random guy named Paul wants to charge $75,000 a year for their labor, If a business wants to discriminate on the basis of Dave's sexuality they are incurring a $25,000 a year cost to be bigots. That seems fair to me, since Dave is still free to take his talents elsewhere.

I'm also concerned that this law may be used against businesses who fire people for other reasons under the guise of being discriminated against. I know that almost happened where I work, where an underperforming employee was let go and he found a lawyer and threatened to sue on the basis of racial discrimination. Luckily for the business, this is an at-will employment state so he couldn't take it to court.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21

Women are equal!
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Danielle
Today the Equality Act was reintroduced to Congress. The Equality Act would provide consistent and explicit anti-discrimination protections for LGBT people across key areas of life, including employment, housing, credit, education, federally funded programs and jury service. As it stands, LGBT people can be fired from their jobs, evicted from their homes, or denied service from businesses in the majority of states simply for being who they are (or who their parents are). 

The Equality Act is expected to pass easily in the House, but struggle in the Senate.  Ten Republicans would be needed to reach the 60 votes to end a filibuster on the legislation, and right now it doesn't look like they have the votes.  

I don't understand why Republicans have a problem with this bill.
Yes, you do. The Republican party has spent years cultivating a following among Evangelical Christians who are staunch in their opposition to homosexuality.

Isn't firing someone for being gay CANCEL CULTURE?
No. Cancel Culture is silencing opinion by inciting "public backlash"; firing someone for being gay is just firing someone.

I assumed they would be eager to mitigate Cancel Culture and make sure people aren't discriminated against simply because you don't like them or the way they live, but surprise! 
That's not "cancel culture."

It turns out conservatives feel very strongly about their right to discriminate and ban or cancel people at their discretion 🤪
You're extending a false equivalence.

The Civil Rights Act bans discrimination on the basis of sex, race,  religion, etc. and I don't think anyone but libertarians (i.e. very few people) would say they believe you should be allowed to legally discriminate against someone's race --  so why is sexuality different?
You've left out anarchists, individualists, voluntaryists, etc. Not that their being "very few" would at all qualify the justification for either argument.

Sexual orientation is not a choice;
You don't know that. And what if it was? Would it matter?

So unless you believe ALL discrimination should be legal, I don't understand the right-wing argument for excluding sexuality as a protected class. 
Fair enough.

At best there is the ridiculously bad argument about "not wanting kids to learn what sexuality is."  Why would you have to talk about sex explicitly when acknowledging one's identity? "This is Danielle's wife" is not any more risqué or sexual than saying "this is Danielle's husband." '
Because there are very few things in life which don't imply sex. "Danielle's wife" implies a long term sexual partner; as does "Danielle's Husband."

Drawing pictures of families in kindergarten and one student drawing two moms is not any more risqué or sexual than drawing a kid with a mother and father.
One reflects homosexuality, the other reflects heterosexuality; Republicans and their cultivated base of Evangelical Christians are typically in opposition to homosexuality.

You don't need to talk about sex when it comes to families or relationships. 
One doesn't necessarily NOT need to talk about sex when it comes to families or relationships, either.

Since sexuality is an immutable characteristic
You don't know that.

which has been verified by psychologists for decades, why do Republicans cling to the idea that you can discriminate against gay people with impunity?
"Psychologists" aren't in a position to "verify" anything. They practice at best a soft science which isn't based on empiricism, controls, or reproduction of results, but more so their speculation and subjective experiences. If you're going to sustain the "veracity" of claims extended by psychologists by mere fact that they're psychologists, then why not do the same when they render their conclusions about the differences between men and women? Or adults and children? Differences which would inform and justify discrimination?

If they think you should be able to fire someone for being gay, why is it wrong to fire them for being black or being Christian? Religion actually ISN'T inherent to one's identity (unless you're Jewish lol) so why is it wrong to fire someone for being Catholic?
Why wouldn't religion be inherent to one's identity? And why are the "Jewish" excluded?

Why don't Republicans push to get rid of the Civil Rights Act entirely? 
Fair enough.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Sum1hugme
  If LGBT person Dave wants to charge $50,000 a year and some random guy named Paul wants to charge $75,000 a year for their labor, If a business wants to discriminate on the basis of Dave's sexuality they are incurring a $25,000 a year cost to be bigots. That seems fair to me, since Dave is still free to take his talents elsewhere.
So all LGBT people have to do is work for 33% less. Problem solved.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Double_R
Not necessarily, it's just that as long as they can compete with their labor, businesses have to pay extra to be bigots.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@RationalMadman
Again, the Civil Rights Act was passed over 50 years ago which already makes it illegal to fire someone on the basis of an immutable characteristic. I think the best argument from a religious POV is that sexuality is not an immutable characteristic (they believe it is a choice). Of course that argument is, for the most part, wrong. 

I never said conservatives were against Cancel Culture. I have been very clear that conservatives have been THE biggest proponents and advocates of Cancel Culture. History and even present day is filled of examples where conservatives wanted to cancel someone or some thing on the basis of not agreeing with or approving of it. 

Yet they still whine incessantly when the market reacts to "cancel" someone and the government does not. Consider the firing of Roseanne as one example. They were very upset that the market decided to punish the actress (there were no legal repercussions).

I disagree conservatives do not want to get the government involved in cancelling people or things they disagree with either. Look at the FCC and how conservatives threw a hissy fit when there was even a tiny bit of cursing or lewd content on the airwaves. Howard Stern and others have been punished by this government body for offending people. I remember back in the early 2000s radio companies used to always get fined for playing Eminem songs that had curses in them. 

Ted Cruz also wanted to launch a  criminal investigation into Netflix for showing the movie "Cuties" because he didn't like the content. The Prime Minister of Israel tweeted about how along with US conservatives, they have supported U.S. laws that determine action should be taken against those that try to boycott Israel. So the Israeli government and its American lemmings push to criminalize dissent of Israel - even convincing some states to require loyalty oaths to Israel in order to get government contracts. These hypocrites obviously have no problem using government to cancel people and things they disagree with. 

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Let’s go back to the days of Natural Selection. Who’s with me?
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Athias
Cancel Culture generally refers to boycotts, shaming, de-platforming and firing for perceived offenses. Even assuming public backlash must be a prerequisite to qualify, we know conservatives use the media to evoke cancellations over sexuality all the time. Example: Mass Effect 2 was supposed to have a character that was pansexual, but the creators decided to scrap that after a segment on Fox News lamenting sexuality in video games -- or all the times Disney was shamed into scrapping  families headed by gay couples in their programming due to conservative media whining about it.

Whether or not sexuality is a choice (I do know it isn't) does matter. The Civil Rights Act bans discrimination based on things one cannot change about themselves. I joked that being Jewish could arguably be an immutable characteristic because Jewish people follow matrilineality. 

The terms husband and wife have nothing to do with sex. They only imply sex to those exposed or old enough to understand what sex is.  In that case parents have already failed at protecting their kids from learning about sexuality, and therefore can't say acknowledging I have a wife is somehow what will expose their children to the concept of sex. They already know what sex is if the term "wife" leads to that thought process.  Acknowledging one's husband or wife would not teach gay sex or advocate gay sex; it would  highlight a fact about one's marital status.  

Your gripes with psychology don't really interest me and are mostly untrue, especially as it pertains to neuroscience. I don't understand the questions you are asking me about it though. It seems you are making assumptions about me agreeing with non-discrimination orders by government. Obviously discrimination is justified in many instances, especially age discrimination, but regardless I don't understand your point nor your point in responding to me at all unless it is to argue that sexuality is not immutable.

My point was that I don't understand the right-wing argument for not accepting sexuality as a protected class. The best one I could think of is that sexuality is not an immutable characteristic. In that case you could have some type of hearing where people testify and present their arguments (since I am talking about government and law) which would likely include research done by psychologists, sexologists and others who study human behavior. There is a general consensus within these communities that sexuality is not a choice, and it would behoove a decision-making person or persons to consider this. But if someone wanted to misnomer this as nothing but an appeal to authority, I'm sure the testimony of many people's empirical anecdotes could be included in the hearing as well. I would start by asking the homophobes to change their sexuality to prove it can be done and go from there. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Danielle
Cancel Culture generally refers to boycotts, shaming, de-platforming and firing for perceived offenses. Even assuming public backlash must be a prerequisite to qualify, we know conservatives use the media to evoke cancellations over sexuality all the time. Example: Mass Effect 2 was supposed to have a character that was pansexual, but the creators decided to scrap that after a segment on Fox News lamenting sexuality in video games -- or all the times Disney was shamed into scrapping  families headed by gay couples in their programming due to conservative media whining about it.
No doubt that conservative media also partakes in "cancel-culture," but that's not the same as firing someone for being gay. Then again, these neologisms always find ways to take on new forms.

(I do know it isn't )
No, you do not. Actions, even sexual ones, are results of choices; and attraction is in someone's head.

Whether or not sexuality is a choice (I do know it isn't )does matter. The Civil Rights Act bans discrimination based on things one cannot change about themselves.
Was the passage of the Civil Rights Act informed by the notion that characteristics like race, sex, religion, etc. couldn't be changed? That wouldn't make sense given that they included religion which can be changed, or even "color."

I joked that being Jewish could arguably be an immutable characteristic because Jewish people follow matrilineality. 
I know. How does that make it immutable in comparison to the patrilineal structure of Christianity and Islam?

The terms husband and wife have nothing to do with sex.
Yes, they do. Research both terms, and I assure you they'll lead to sex.

They only imply sex to those exposed or old enough to understand what sex is.
Yes, and many children are exposed to the PDA of their parents, even if they don't have an experienced adult's understanding of what it is they're seeing.

In that case parents have already failed at protecting their kids from learning about sexuality,
They're not trying to protect them from heterosexuality; they're trying to protect them from homosexuality, which depending on their inclinations, they see as a perversion.

and therefore can't say acknowledging I have a wife is somehow what will expose their children to the concept of sex.
Fair enough. But it isn't  the concept of sex per se, but the "perversion of homosexuality."

Your gripes with psychology don't really interest me and are mostly untrue, especially as it pertains to neuroscience.
Psychology =/= neuroscience.

I don't understand the questions you are asking me about it though. It seems you are making assumptions about me agreeing with non-discrimination orders by government. Obviously discrimination is justified in many instances, especially age discrimination, but regardless I don't understand your point nor your point in responding to me at all unless it is to argue that sexuality is not immutable.
I'm asking you to be consistent. If you're going to use psychology as a metric to explain homosexuality, particularly that it is as immutable to a homosexual as is heterosexuality is to a heterosexual, then why not apply psychological metrics as far as it concerns the differences it informs when it applies to race, sex, and/or age for example? Case in point: so-called "Blacks" are argued to have a lower "I.Q."--a psychometric--than so-called "Whites." Should so-called "Blacks" be deprived privileges by the State commensurate to their deviation from the mean? Do so-called "Whites" get afforded more privileges? What about men and women, and their alleged psychological differences? What about adults and children?

My point is, what use is there in citing "psychology" if it can be used just as easily as a metric to justify discrimination?

My point was that I don't understand the right-wing argument for not accepting sexuality as a protected class. The best one I could think of is that sexuality is not an immutable characteristic.
So once again, I ask: does it matter whether or not it's a choice? If it was choice, would that be justification to afford them fewer privileges by the State? And again, if the Republican base consist predominantly of Evangelical Christians, then why is psychology as opposed to Biblical doctrine not being explored as a rubric which informs the positions of conservatives?

There is a general consensus within these communities that sexuality is not a choice, and it would behoove a decision-making person or persons to consider this. But if someone wanted to misnomer this as nothing but an appeal to authority, I'm sure the testimony of many people's empirical anecdotes could be included in the hearing as well.
It isn't an appeal to authority; it's an appeal to consensus. And while anecdotal evidence is useful in contradicting generalities, it can rarely be used to justify a phenomena or attribute which is applicable to an entire group.

I would start by asking the homophobes to change their sexuality to prove it can be done and go from there. 
This can easily be addressed. Sexuality comprises of both sexual attraction, and sexual action. So having sex with someone of one's own sex despite not being attracted to them can demonstrate "sexuality as a choice."
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Athias
No doubt that conservative media also partakes in "cancel-culture," but that's not the same as firing someone for being gay. Then again, these neologisms always find ways to take on new forms.
You are not the arbiter of what cancel culture is. There is no set definition and there are many loose interpretations of what qualifies, including but not limiting to firing someone for a perceived moral transgression -- in which case firing someone for being gay absolutely does qualify. If  you use another definition, that's okay. 

No, you do not.
Yes, I do. 

Actions, even sexual ones, are results of choices; and attraction is in someone's head.
Yep. 

Was the passage of the Civil Rights Act informed by the notion that characteristics like race, sex, religion, etc. couldn't be changed?

Yes.

That wouldn't make sense given that they included religion which can be changed,

Right, I said that.

How does that make it immutable in comparison to the patrilineal structure of Christianity and Islam?
It was a good natured joke about Jewish people. That's why I said "lol." I don't feel the need to explain it if you don't get it. 

Research both terms, and I assure you they'll lead to sex.
Little kids are not researching the terms and should not be privy to sexual knowledge prematurely. If they are, it is not the fault of gay people using the terms "husband" and "wife."  Research the terms "mother" and "father" and they will lead to sex as well. 

Yes, and many children are exposed to the PDA of their parents, even if they don't have an experienced adult's understanding of what it is they're seeing.
Yep. 

They're not trying to protect them from heterosexuality; they're trying to protect them from homosexuality, which depending on their inclinations, they see as a perversion.
Little Johnny saying "I have two dads" doesn't imply anything sexual to his fellow children unless they equate their parents and fatherhood with sex and sexuality.  That is inappropriate and again not the fault or responsibility of gay parents.

What I said was if the terms "husband" and "wife" conjure up thoughts of sex, then the parent has already failed at protecting their kid from knowing what sex is. As in if I referenced my "wife," little kids should not be thinking about us fucking. The same goes if I referenced my husband. 

Fair enough. But it isn't  the concept of sex per se, but the "perversion of homosexuality."
Right, and that's as idiotic as a parent saying they don't want their kid to know deaf people exist. Again saying "this is Danielle's wife" is not any more risqué or sexual than saying "this is Danielle's husband."   Drawing pictures of families in kindergarten and one student drawing two moms is not any more risqué or sexual than drawing a kid with a mother and father. You don't need to talk about sex when it comes to families or relationships.  I doubt anyone is talking to young children about their parents having sex, and if they are they should be investigated. 

Psychology =/= neuroscience.
I never said they were synonyms.

Should so-called "Blacks" be deprived privileges by the State commensurate to their deviation from the mean?

No.

Do so-called "Whites" get afforded more privileges?
Arguably, yes. 

What about men and women, and their alleged psychological differences? What about adults and children?

What about them?

My point is, what use is there in citing "psychology" if it can be used just as easily as a metric to justify discrimination?

I still have no idea what your point is. I referenced psychology because the field has studied sexuality. Psychology research has been used to  achieve civil rights victories. For example, the well-known Clark doll study  was an integral part of the Brown v. Board of Education case as scientific evidence regarding the detrimental psychological consequences of segregation.

So once again, I ask: does it matter whether or not it's a choice? If it was choice, would that be justification to afford them fewer privileges by the State?
Yes, only because not being able to change something is the logic behind the CRA, and that is the topic of this thread. Most people believe it's okay to fire someone for being rude and other choices. However I recognize the inconsistencies of using this metric. In addition to the religion example I already highlighted, a person can still be fired for having freckles or being tall even though those are immutable characteristics as well. 

And again, if the Republican base consist predominantly of Evangelical Christians, then why is psychology as opposed to Biblical doctrine not being explored as a rubric which informs the positions of conservatives?

Nobody wants to follow the Bible. We'd have to criminalize tattoos, shellfish and masturbation for consistency which conservatives never advocate. They support picking and choosing. The first amendment also prohibits it. 

It isn't an appeal to authority; it's an appeal to consensus. 

Yeah that's how people make educated and informed decisions: sensing, observation and research. What's your preferred alternative for finding the answer to this question? If you have nothing to offer explaining why sexuality (attraction) is a choice, then this useless tangent is boring me and a waste of my time. 

So having sex with someone of one's own sex despite not being attracted to them can demonstrate "sexuality as a choice."
Thanks for pointing out that people can choose to have sex thereby demonstrating a choice in their sexuality. You must be very proud of yourself for that astute observation using one definition of the term, and you are indeed correct. But I said change your sexuality. You described having sex i.e. sexuality in action, which does not reference anything that you have changed or can change. The definition of sexuality includes a person's identity in relation to the sex or sexes to which they are typically attracted; one's  sexual orientation. Choosing to have sex with someone you are not attracted to doesn't change whom you are attracted to. 

I don't understand the point of you responding to me. You don't disagree that excluding sexuality comparative to the other metrics in the Civil Rights Act is nonsensical, but for some reason you want to argue useless points tit for tat as if you're turning my worldview (or even my view on this single issue) upside down which you're clearly not. It just looks like you're desperate to argue over nothing.

This thread is asking why sexuality should specifically be excluded from legislation that the majority of people support regarding non-discrimination. If you don't support it, that's okay but not relevant. The obvious answer to my question is that religious/conservative people find homosexuality to be an immoral choice as opposed to a morally legitimate, inherent identity. Mocking that notion or arguing against anyone dull enough to believe that notion would be on topic.

But you're here pointing out sExUaLiTy Is A cHoIcE bEcAuSe YoU cAn ChOoSe WhOm YoU hAvE sEx WiTh which is like... I don't even care enough to have this pointless conversation. Spare me. If you want me to pat you on the head for how smart you are in making these "accckchually" points, just pretend I have done that and hopefully that fulfills you for the day. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
You make some good points.

Good thing you can still fire people for being vegan.

Good thing you can still fire people for having a tattoo.

Good thing you can still fire people for being ugly.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
You must be very proud of yourself for that astute observation using one definition of the term, and you are indeed correct. But I said change your sexuality. You described having sex i.e. sexuality in action, which does not reference anything that you have changed or can change. The definition of sexuality includes a person's identity in relation to the sex or sexes to which they are typically attracted; one's  sexual orientation. Choosing to have sex with someone you are not attracted to doesn't change whom you are attracted to. 
Do you think someone should be able to be fired for sleeping with their employer's spouse?

Even though you can't change who you're attracted to?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
But you're here pointing out sExUaLiTy Is A cHoIcE bEcAuSe YoU cAn ChOoSe WhOm YoU hAvE sEx WiTh which is like... I don't even care enough to have this pointless conversation. Spare me. If you want me to pat you on the head for how smart you are in making these "accckchually" points, just pretend I have done that and hopefully that fulfills you for the day. 
I'm not sure you understand how debate forums work.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Death23
There's pretty rampant discrimination against ugly people, short people, left handed (not so much in this culture) people, etc. that is all just the same to me as racial discrimination but is legal for the most part.
100% THIS.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
I believe "male" versus "female" discrimination is the scope of the word "sex" as it appears in the bill as it is currently understood.

The terms "sexual preference" and or "gender identity" are sometimes but not always considered to be covered by the word "sex" as it appears in the bill as it is currently understood.

The proposed new bill is aimed at making the inclusion of "sexual preference" and "gender identity" explicit.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
They don't generally support legislation that forces business to hire or not fire a certain type of person or to meet strict quotas.
It's my understanding that "conservatives" generally supported the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
If there are infinite genders, then there are no finite singular genders, and there won't be any functional reason to have one policy for men or one for women, since it's not certain anymore how to identify a man or a woman.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
It's my understanding that "conservatives" generally supported the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Is it a disability to be born with a high Estrogen or Testosterone count?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Why don't Republicans push to get rid of the Civil Rights Act entirely? 
Fair enough.
Nice.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
The Republican Party included support of the ERA in its platform beginning in 1940, renewing the plank every four years until 1980. The ERA was strongly opposed by the American Federation of Labor and other labor unions, which feared the amendment would invalidate protective labor legislation for women. Eleanor Roosevelt and most New Dealers also opposed the ERA. They felt that ERA was designed for middle-class women, but that working-class women needed government protection. They also feared that the ERA would undercut the male-dominated labor unions that were a core component of the New Deal coalition. Most northern Democrats, who aligned themselves with the anti-ERA labor unions, opposed the amendment. The ERA was supported by southern Democrats and almost all Republicans.

At the 1944 Democratic National Convention, the Democrats made the divisive step of including the ERA in their platform, but the Democratic Party did not become united in favor of the amendment until congressional passage in 1972. The main support base for the ERA until the late 1960s was among middle-class Republican women. The League of Women Voters, formerly the National American Woman Suffrage Association, opposed the Equal Rights Amendment until 1972, fearing the loss of protective labor legislation.

Today Title IX protections for Women will be abolished under an ERA type bill.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
Ted Cruz also wanted to launch a  criminal investigation into Netflix for showing the movie "Cuties" because he didn't like the content. The Prime Minister of Israel tweeted about how along with US conservatives, they have supported U.S. laws that determine action should be taken against those that try to boycott Israel. So the Israeli government and its American lemmings push to criminalize dissent of Israel - even convincing some states to require loyalty oaths to Israel in order to get government contracts. These hypocrites obviously have no problem using government to cancel people and things they disagree with. 
Great point.

If boycott (not legal action) is supposed to be "the answer" then why restrict boycotting and or threaten to sue over content disagreements?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Danielle
The terms husband and wife have nothing to do with sex.
Citation please.
Death23
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
won't be any functional reason to have one policy for men or one for women

Perfect. Actually I heard something about women and the IDF, that mixing men and women together would result in romance. When people are in combat romance can influence decisions and cause practical problems. People will overvalue the lives of their romantic interest and go bananas if he/she gets shot. I heard that this problem was a factor in a decision to remove women from combat roles, or something. Haven't fact checked what I heard.