Civil Rights/Equality Act

Author: Danielle

Total: 59
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
It's my understanding that "conservatives" generally supported the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Is it a disability to be born with a high Estrogen or Testosterone count?
specifically in reference to,

They don't generally support legislation that forces business to hire or not fire a certain type of person or to meet strict quotas. They see the freedom for a business to hire and fire aa the boss(es) please as superior in importance to the right of minorities to be protected and businesses to readily give them job opportunities.
The Americans With Disabilities Act FORCES BUSINESSES TO ACCOMMODATE DISABLED CITIZENS.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
It's basically saying we can't have public policies to accommodate the majority of people with classically high Estrogen or High Testosterone, which affects the behavior and choices, and needs of a person since that's no longer the sole marker of gender. Have you seen the balls on the people identifying as women today? They are huge!
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Death23
Perfect. Actually I heard something about women and the IDF, that mixing men and women together would result in romance. When people are in combat romance can influence decisions and cause practical problems. People will overvalue the lives of their romantic interest and go bananas if he/she gets shot. I heard that this problem was a factor in a decision to remove women from combat roles, or something. Haven't fact checked what I heard.
The ancient Spartans actually encouraged romantic relationships between soldiers who fought together.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
The Americans With Disabilities Act FORCES BUSINESSES TO ACCOMMODATE DISABLED CITIZENS.
When everyone is Disabled, nobody is disabled.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
The ancient Spartans actually encouraged romantic relationships between soldiers who fought together.
There's a big difference between a guy with a spear going bananas and a  guy with a bomb.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Danielle
You are not the arbiter of what cancel culture is.
Irrelevant.

There is no set definition and there are many loose interpretations of what qualifies, including but not limiting to firing someone for a perceived moral transgression
Convenient for one who has just argued that there is "no set definition."  If you're going to argue that you're applying a different definition of "cancel-culture" then your equivalence is undermined. You would have to establish how your definition equates to that of the conservatives you're criticizing.

Yes, I do. 
I'm going to abandon this regress.

Was the passage of the Civil Rights Act informed by the notion that characteristics like race, sex, religion, etc. couldn't be changed?
Yes.
How?

That wouldn't make sense given that they included religion which can be changed,
Right, I said that.
No, you said that religion wasn't inherent to one's identity. But your argument is that the Civil Rights Act was informed by the notion that particular characteristics couldn't be changed. The Civil Rights Act includes religion. So if we were to operate on this premise, religion would/should not have been included, right? So how you explain its inclusion, while also maintaining your premise?

It was a good natured joke about Jewish people. That's why I said "lol." I don't feel the need to explain it if you don't get it. 
I'm not questioning the nature of your joke. And there's a bit of a disconnect here: if I did "get it," why would you then feel the need to explain? I'm asking you to elaborate expressly because I don't know what you mean. If you don't intend to, that's fine. It's your prerogative.

Little kids are not researching the terms and should not be privy to sexual knowledge prematurely
Kids don't ask adults for explanations? Is that not research?

If they are, it is not the fault of gay people using the terms "husband" and "wife."  Research the terms "mother" and "father" and they will lead to sex as well. 
Their concern is not herterosexual sex, especially if it's sex among an adult male, and an adult female who are in a legally binding, long-term monogamous relationship (marriage) a la "husband and wife." Their concern is their children's impressions of homosexuality, which once again, they see as a perversion. And yes, the terms "mother" and "father" also indicate sex.

What I said was if the terms "husband" and "wife" conjure up thoughts of sex, then the parent has already failed at protecting their kid from knowing what sex is. As in if I referenced my "wife," little kids should not be thinking about us fucking. The same goes if I referenced my husband. 
I extend my previous statement.

Right, and that's as idiotic as a parent saying they don't want their kid to know deaf people exist. Again saying "this is Danielle's wife" is not any more risqué or sexual than saying "this is Danielle's husband."   Drawing pictures of families in kindergarten and one student drawing two moms is not any more risqué or sexual than drawing a kid with a mother and father. You don't need to talk about sex when it comes to families or relationships.  I doubt anyone is talking to young children about their parents having sex, and if they are they should be investigated. 
It's not. According to the aforementioned cultivated evangelical Christian base, homosexuality is an abomination; deafness is not. They're using their capacity as political participants to conscript the government into prohibiting the normalization of homosexuality, thereby insulating their children from any undesired impressions they may form of homosexuality. And once again, I extend my previous statement about their concerns.

I never said they were synonyms.
You didn't have to. I scrutinized psychology, not neuroscience. How would you explain your mentioning neuroscience at all if you weren't attempting to create an equivalence? Was it just a non sequitur?

Should so-called "Blacks" be deprived privileges by the State commensurate to their deviation from the mean?
No.
Why not?

Do so-called "Whites" get afforded more privileges?
Arguably, yes. 
So-called "Whites" get afforded more privileges because of their recorded average I.Q.? Give me an example of few such privileges.

What about men and women, and their alleged psychological differences? What about adults and children?
What about them?
For one, the arguable differences between men and women in their psychological profiles--i.e. women's profiles being more identical to those of children's particularly as it concerns fear, embarrassment, anxiety, and insecurity? What about the adult's capacity for reason in juxtaposition to a child's capacity? If you're arguing that similar psychological conclusions with respect to any given characteristic should eliminate discrimination, then would it not stand to reason that dissimilar psychological conclusions should encourage discrimination?

I still have no idea what your point is. I referenced psychology because the field has studied sexuality. Psychology research has been used to  achieve civil rights victories. For example, the well-known Clark doll study  was an integral part of the Brown v. Board of Education case as scientific evidence regarding the detrimental psychological consequences of segregation.
My point is to ask, what utility is there in citing a psychological standard in discrediting discrimination when it's just as useful in encouraging discrimination?

Yes, only because not being able to change something is the logic behind the CRA, and that is the topic of this thread.
So why were religion and color included?

Nobody wants to follow the Bible.
That is incorrect.

We'd have to criminalize tattoos, shellfish and masturbation for consistency which conservatives never advocate.
1961-1997 New York would have disagreed with you. And it's not a sin to masturbate. This is often misinterpreted. The reference was in a brother's not inseminating his dead brother's bride, instead letting the "ejaculate" spill on the floor. That's the sin, because it was a brother's duty to marry and inseminate his dead brother's bride.

Yeah that's how people make educated and informed decisions: sensing, observation and research.
Consensus does not inform truth statements, unless it's in direct reference to the consensus itself.

What's your preferred alternative for finding the answer to this question? If you have nothing to offer explaining why sexuality (attraction) is a choice, then this useless tangent is boring me and a waste of my time. 
I've already explained this though:

Athias:
Actions, even sexual ones, are results of choices; and attraction is in someone's head.
There are a couple components to sexuality: attraction and sexual action.

Thanks for pointing out that people can choose to have sex thereby demonstrating a choice in their sexuality. You must be very proud of yourself for that astute observation using one definition of the term, and you are indeed correct.
Well, I wouldn't say "proud." Maybe, "slightly impressed"?

But I said change your sexuality. You described having sex i.e. sexuality in action, which does not reference anything that you have changed or can change. The definition of sexuality includes a person's identity in relation to the sex or sexes to which they are typically attracted; one's  sexual orientation.
Not really. If I was having sex with women exclusively for, let's say, 10 years, and I started having sex with men, that would be a "change."

Choosing to have sex with someone you are not attracted to doesn't change whom you are attracted to. 
Attraction does not define sexuality. With whom one has sex is also a component of one's sexuality, regardless of how one identifies oneself. And one can "CHOOSE" with whom one has sex.

I don't understand the point of you responding to me. You don't disagree that excluding sexuality comparative to the other metrics in the Civil Rights Act is nonsensical, but for some reason you want to argue useless points tit for tat as if you're turning my worldview (or even my view on this single issue) upside down which you're clearly not. It just looks like you're desperate to argue over nothing.

This thread is asking why sexuality should specifically be excluded from legislation that the majority of people support regarding non-discrimination. If you don't support it, that's okay but not relevant. The obvious answer to my question is that religious/conservative people find homosexuality to be an immoral choice as opposed to a morally legitimate, inherent identity. Mocking that notion or arguing against anyone dull enough to believe that notion would be on topic.
The point of my response is to highlight that employing psychology as a standard is a double-edge sword, and as you clearly demonstrated, you do understand the reason conservatives are opposed to the bill you mentioned in the O.P. You are clearly "mocking" them, but you are doing so using your metrics, not theirs.

But you're here pointing out sExUaLiTy Is A cHoIcE bEcAuSe YoU cAn ChOoSe WhOm YoU hAvE sEx WiTh which is like... I don't even care enough to have this pointless conversation.
Because sexuality's being a choice should be irrelevant. Why would it matter? Discrimination is justified as long as one doesn't choose to whom he or she is attracted or with whom he or she has sex? It's a slippery slope argument.

Spare me. If you want me to pat you on the head for how smart you are in making these "accckchually" points, just pretend I have done that and hopefully that fulfills you for the day. 
I don't let strangers touch me, both literally and figuratively. So I can't even pretend to receive your much solicited "pat."
Athias
Athias
-->
@Danielle
@3RU7AL
Do you think someone should be able to be fired for sleeping with their employer's spouse?

Even though you can't change who you're attracted to?
And there's that slippery slope. Nice one, 3RU7AL.

@Danielle:

What if a married couple who lives in the state of Massachusetts hires a 32 year-old male babysitter to look after both their 13 year-old daughter and their 16-year old daughter, and said babysitter starts a sexual relationship with the 16 year-old (let me point out that the age of consent in Massachusetts is 16 years-old) because he identifies strictly as an ephebophile (he "doesn't have a choice,") should his employment be protected by the Civil Rights Act or the Equality Act despite the married couple's intent to fire him after discovering the aforementioned sexual relationship?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
The ancient Spartans actually encouraged romantic relationships between soldiers who fought together.
There's a big difference between a guy with a spear going bananas and a  guy with a bomb.
DO YOU REALIZE THAT PTSD DOESN'T ONLY HAPPEN TO PEOPLE WHO SEE THEIR HETEROSEXUAL PARTNER DIE BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
@Death23
@Death23
There's pretty rampant discrimination against ugly people, short people, left handed (not so much in this culture) people, etc. that is all just the same to me as racial discrimination but is legal for the most part.
100% THIS.
The problem with attempting to make discrimination illegal as far as it concerns "ugly" people, is how does one identify, much less quantify "ugly"?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
The problem with attempting to make discrimination illegal as far as it concerns "ugly" people, is how does one identify, much less quantify "ugly"?
PUBLIC SURVEY.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
PUBLIC SURVEY.
Haha.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Can you become gay or is it not possible?
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Danielle
So you are anti-Israel?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Can you become gay or is it not possible?
The science is pretty clear brain chemistry and hormonal balance drives attraction, not choice.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
DO YOU REALIZE THAT PTSD DOESN'T ONLY HAPPEN TO PEOPLE WHO SEE THEIR HETEROSEXUAL PARTNER DIE BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias

For some humor.
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@Athias
Look at them and 1 to 10
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Death23
Swipe left.
Death23
Death23
-->
@Greyparrot
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I dislike needing to be blunt, but there is no other way to address one problem of passing the Equality Act as current drafted and passed by the House, and that is the insertion suggested in a variety of existing statutes that deal with the social practicalities and expectations of privacy [remember that argument and how it is now bite in the arse] by removing the word, "sex," and inserting  “sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity).”

There is a practical element no more simple than the provisions of physical plumbing that differentiates what was once considered sex differentiation.  As I male, my plumbing is an external tube with which, when urinating, I have manipulative control of the direction of the stream while keeping my pants while merely opening a zipped or buttoned slice in the fabric to accommodate aiming the stream appropriately; therefore, I need no private stall.  The female has different plumbing and virtually has no ability of directing the urine stream without radical movement of her body, even if the female also wears pants with an accommodating zippered or buttoned slice. The lack of a female's convenient external tube requires, just for the sake of privacy, to virtually remove all clothing from the lower half of her body to allow a modicum of protection of her clothes while the female urinates, and that has historically meant having a closed stall to disrobe in private. Why is that necessary when public restrooms are clearly typically designated for males and females? Don't all females know the nature of their naked bodies, and thus, for expense purposes, do not need the closed stall, yet, they are provided. Must be for other reasons than expense.

So, now y'all want to remove that privacy screen for the females, in spite of whatever reason the idea of a stall was first provided for a function of just urination.

But, neither female nor male just urinate, do they? Defecation is accompanied by by noises and smells that seem civilized to separate from one another, for both femaels and males.

So, now you want to eliminate the stalls, or worse, remove the female/male designation of restrooms and everyone can pick any restroom they please, by "sexual orientation and gender identity." I suspect we will shortly understand the reason why the traditional female restrooms did not include urinals [or bidets, for that matter], and all restrooms had stalls for the added necessity of defecation. Remember, there's that word "privacy" that y'all insisted was a factor, even though the word does not appear a single time constitutionally, and that's because the constitution did not feel the need to discuss scatology, just as it never mentioned 'God." Some things just made sense for practicality, if for no other reason.
Death23
Death23
-->
@fauxlaw
When I'm at home depot and the men's bathroom is closed for cleaning, I need to be able to gender identify as a woman so I can use the other one.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Death23
When its desperation time, Home Depot sells bottles you can piss in. Buy the bloody bottle afterward and call it good. 
Death23
Death23
-->
@fauxlaw
I've heard that the way the courts have been interpreting the law, the bathroom thing has been avoided.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Death23
Yeah, avoided to allow use of a handy, cheap bottle. I would not suggest it had I not had that history, myself. It works.  Just pay for it through the automated register and it's all good. You know, scan-and-bag in two seconds. Evidence hidden, but paid. Surely you know of places, other than the men's room, where the deed can be deposited without wandering eyes [or a camera].
Death23
Death23
-->
@fauxlaw
I drove cabs for years. You keep gatorade bottles in your glove box. Shove them down your pants to avoid indecent exposure charges.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Death23
Ah, so your practiced in the technique, after all. Good enough.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Greyparrot
It's the hypocrisy of the "letter" movements. The transgendered "female" whom Rand Paul was interrogating clearly didn't want to hint that there's an implicit encouragement to sexualize minors. I remember I once had a discussion with someone I know well, who happens to be homosexual, and we were discussing Gabrielle Union's bringing her minor son to a gay pride parade, when I then asked her about her thoughts on the matter. I knew from past discussions that she was against the idea of sexualizing minors, so I wanted to know whether she thought that homosexuality would somehow mitigate her opposition. And to no surprise, she maintained her opposition to sexualizing minors, and thought it was "poor optics" to have children at that parade.

There are a lot of double standards going unaddressed because the people concerned, or the ones with the capacity to address it, are too afraid to come off as a "bigot."

12 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
Perfect. Actually I heard something about women and the IDF, that mixing men and women together would result in romance. When people are in combat romance can influence decisions and cause practical problems. People will overvalue the lives of their romantic interest and go bananas if he/she gets shot. I heard that this problem was a factor in a decision to remove women from combat roles, or something. Haven't fact checked what I heard.
I just saw this. It is a complete lie, LOL.

Try to fight a Mossad female agent or IDF female soldier. That is one of the single least sexist countries to female operatives, they are obligated to serve in full as much as the men do.

It is not at all ANY active sexism that is why more males than females remain in the IDF full-time post-conscripted time. It's because it is indeed a masculine job. That is not sexist to say. Some women are masculine and love such a line of work, that is fantastic and Israel doesn't discriminate against them at all.

Israel was the pinnacle of Feminism in the military before any other nation properly embraced it. From the birth of Israel, it was declared that women will serve in the military just as any man would.

1049 days later

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Let’s go back to the days of Natural Selection. Who’s with me?
Fo shizzle !