Why are we banning wylted?

Author: Lunatic

Total: 302
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@oromagi
 I guess, after my Mom died from COVID and he was denying the disease's existence and demanding that minimum wagers get back to work
Unironically I have the exact opposite take but for the same personal reasons

Both of my grandma's suffered from Altzheimer's and my dad's uncle is also starting to suffer from it as well. I noticed that after retirement, there health started to go downhill and they started to form some more positive signs of dementia. When they stopped working, they started to forget things and never get their minds active. That's why I do believe that work is important because while it might not be the most fun thing, it's definitely a stimulant to keep our brain fresh. When I'm old, I hope I keep reading and such things so my brain is active as such
Vader
Vader
-->
@oromagi
I also contrast my grandma's to my grandpa's

The one who lives in Greece is 85 and can do pull ups and is quick witted as ever despite being old. He retired but still works out and does construction

My grandpa in America is active everywhere. Drives to pick up things, goes out to the mall and walks, and I've even seen him complete a crossword puzzle (it took him a few months since English isn't his primary language)
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Vader
Unironically I have the exact opposite take but for the same personal reasons

Both of my grandma's suffered from Altzheimer's and my dad's uncle is also starting to suffer from it as well. I noticed that after retirement, there health started to go downhill and they started to form some more positive signs of dementia. When they stopped working, they started to forget. That's why I do believe that work is important because while it might not be the most fun thing, it's definitely a stimulant to keep our brain fresh. When I'm old, I hope I keep reading and such things so my brain is active as such
But certainly we'd agree that there's a wide chasm between keeping one's brain well occupied and employers' demanding work at substantially increased risk without substantially increased compensation?  Nobody's saying that people shouldn't work.  I am saying that exposing people to a fairly dangerous disease in an unacceptable risk to ask of people flipping burgers for minimum wage.  If the middle class were not  fairly well set up already to work from home we know the demand for increased exposure would have been universally unacceptable.  It's a fact that it was the service industries, the low-paid underclass that Fox News wanted back at work and it's a fact that the middle class was missing its conveniences far  more than making some principled appeal.  If you wanted to argue that McDonald's could stay closed as non-essential work but that McDonald's employees should be given some safe work from home to keep their brains well-occupied as well as keep them on McDonald's payroll for the pandemic's duration, then I think you and I would find agreement.  If McDonald's were likewise willing to increase the salary to reflect hazard pay....say, an extra $100/week or better, I think they'd find more willing employees.   I don't think its people unwilling to work.  I think its people pissed at employers who are unwilling to renegotiate after the terms of employment substantially changed. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@oromagi
But certainly we'd agree that there's a wide chasm between keeping one's brain well occupied and employers' demanding work at substantially increased risk without substantially increased compensation. 
If it is fast food chains, yes they probably should. But also note that some of that worker population is teenagers who need to make quick cash for college and don't put in hard and long hours if they don't need too
Nobody's saying that people shouldn't work.  I am saying that exposing people to a fairly dangerous disease in an unacceptable risk to ask of people flipping burgers for minimum wage. 
If people are fully vaxxinated or have COVID antibodies, I don't see why you can't go back to work. 
If the middle class were not  fairly well set up already to work from home we know the demand for increased exposure would have been universally unacceptable.  It's a fact that it was the service industries, the low-paid underclass that Fox News wanted back at work and it's a fact that the middle class was missing its conveniences far  more than making some principled appeal.  If you wanted to argue that McDonald's could stay closed as non-essential work but that McDonald's employees should be given some safe work from home to keep their brains well-occupied as well as keep them on McDonald's payroll for the pandemic's duration, then I think you and I would find agreement.
The problem with that is food is essential and you need workers to prepare and cook food. Granted it doesn't have to be McDonalds, but the human body requires food from somewhere and some people don't have a natural gift of cooking, so you need chains like McDonalds to stay open so that monopolies don't form over one company entirely closing. Those jobs are essential and you do need them, but I'm sure you could negogiate with employees how they can be compensated. If it's COVID insurance or an increase in minimum wage to $12 federally (though were I live that is the minimum wage and higher)

Also even so, in the middle pandemic, restaurants and fast food places were mostly take out and not dine in, so they'd have to be exposed by their workers, and to be honest that seems harder to do.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Vader
But certainly we'd agree that there's a wide chasm between keeping one's brain well occupied and employers' demanding work at substantially increased risk without substantially increased compensation. 
If it is fast food chains, yes they probably should. But also note that some of that worker population is teenagers who need to make quick cash for college and don't put in hard and long hours if they don't need too
quick cash for college should be a non-essential priority during a world-wide pandemic.

Nobody's saying that people shouldn't work.  I am saying that exposing people to a fairly dangerous disease in an unacceptable risk to ask of people flipping burgers for minimum wage. 
If people are fully vaxxinated or have COVID antibodies, I don't see why you can't go back to work. 
Hey, now, don't change the terms of the debate.  Wylted and I were arguing about forcing people back to flipping burgers last summer, before the height of the pandemic even hit, when were trying to blunt that height.  Post-vaccine is a totally different scenario because as you say, the risks are substantially back to normal.

If the middle class were not  fairly well set up already to work from home we know the demand for increased exposure would have been universally unacceptable.  It's a fact that it was the service industries, the low-paid underclass that Fox News wanted back at work and it's a fact that the middle class was missing its conveniences far  more than making some principled appeal.  If you wanted to argue that McDonald's could stay closed as non-essential work but that McDonald's employees should be given some safe work from home to keep their brains well-occupied as well as keep them on McDonald's payroll for the pandemic's duration, then I think you and I would find agreement.
The problem with that is food is essential
I'd say that fast-food is never essential.  I mean, it's hardly nutritional and it's not at all heathy, especially during a pandemeic.  Fast food is more entertainment and low-grade salt and fat addiction more than anything.

and you need workers to prepare and cook food
Since when did the middle class acquire the right to have food prepared for them?  It's a public emergency, fix your own fucking lunch.

Granted it doesn't have to be McDonalds, but the human body requires food from somewhere and some people don't have a natural gift of cooking,
Sorry, no.  People's right to limit substantial and imminent risks far outweighs the sorrows of some one who never acquired basic cooking.  Cooking is not a gift, its a chore like doing laundry and mowing the lawn.  You don't have to have some gift to scramble an egg and boil some rice.  And people don't deserve to be cooked for just because they never bothered to learn that work.

so you need chains like McDonalds to stay open so that monopolies don't form over one company entirely closing.
No you don't.  McDonald's is not really food.

Those jobs are essential and you do need them,
No, you don't.  It's like arguing that cigarettes are essential and people do need them.

but I'm sure you could negogiate with employees how they can be compensated. If it's COVID insurance or an increase in minimum wage to $12 federally (though were I live that is the minimum wage and higher)  Also even so, in the middle pandemic, restaurants and fast food places were mostly take out and not dine in, so they'd have to be exposed by their workers, and to be honest that seems harder to do.
I don't think you're looking at the data.  Fast food workers just doing drive-ins got hammered.  The extreme case was here in Denver when in-and-out burgers opened 2 new locations on Dec 7th and by New Years, 160 employees got infected and had to quarantine.  They literally had to re-hire pretty much their whole staff twice over in 3 weeks  just to keep the stores open.  No employees died but a lot of employees went to the hospital and I'm sure in-and-out burger's health insurance plan is as low-grade as Obamacare will allow.  That is, a bunch of employees probably lost more money than they made working for In-and-Out before they got laid off because In-and-Out was then so totally overstaffed after people got home from the hospital and the quarantines ended.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Vader

Both of my grandma's suffered from Altzheimer's and my dad's uncle is also starting to suffer from it as well. 

See if you can get your uncle to start doing the keto diet. There are studies that suggest the keto diet can stop alzheimers in it's track or atleast slow it significantly. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
But certainly we'd agree that there's a wide chasm between keeping one's brain well occupied and employers' demanding work at substantially increased risk without substantially increased compensation?  Nobody's saying that people shouldn't work.  I am saying that exposing people to a fairly dangerous disease in an unacceptable risk to ask of people flipping burgers

Kids staying home from school.meant increased exposure to abusive parents. Many kids suffered more abuse than ever before because of the covid19 guidelines. 

Many kids did not have a place to go eat, because of these restrictions. School breakfast and lunch is how they kept from starving.

Poor people, couldn't go to work. People who cannot afford to miss work couldn't go and it hurt them and their family. Thankfully people on unemployment were and have been getting well paid for a while, but it doesn't help those who didn't qualify or who didn't know they could qualify.

These lockouts disproportionately harmed the poor.

I am honestly sick of hearing the complete disregard for poor people. You want to protect people from a slightly more deadly version of the flu, do so without killing poor people, harming poor people and without leading to more abuse of children. 

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
in-and-out burger's health insurance plan is as low-grade as Obamacare will allow.  That is, a bunch of employees probably lost more money than they made working for In-and-Out before they got laid off because In-and-Out was then so totally overstaffed after people got home from the hospital and the quarantines ended.
In and out burger is pretty much a model for how all fast food chains should be. Many of their store level managers make 6 figures. They only promote from within and I'm certain based on their record their employee health insurance plans are incredible. 

I also Don't think you realize how hard food is to acquire in some areas. Sure if there are 2 grocery stores near by, than a fast food joint is not essential. 

Some poor people only have their feet. They need to go whatever place is near by to get food for the day. Maybe that is Wendy's or burger King.  Unfortunately in some cases that is a dollar general which profits from charging poor people absurd prices for food. 

Not everyone has access to food as well as you well off white people do. I also notice how fast food is brought up here. Poor people food and places the middle class eat food like Applebee's or chilis is being ignored.  The specific focus on fast food.

So why is fast foods all the examples and not casual eating places? Is it because you just want to shit on poor people some more?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
Kids staying home from school.meant increased exposure to abusive parents. Many kids suffered more abuse than ever before because of the covid19 guidelines. 

This is false. In fact, the first weeks of school closure made for dramatic dips in child abuse reports and child emergency room visits.  Over time, abuse indicators increased as more parents experienced more frustration from job loss, home childcare, pandemic stress.  If it was just staying home from school, we would have seen an immediate spike.  The abuse increased because of increased stress but you fail to consider how family members getting sick, bringing the virus home from school, hospitalizations, etc also increase stress significantly.  There is no science saying that opening schools and increasing disease prevalence in the community would decrease parent stress or child abuse.  Parents abuse children, not CDC guidelines.

Many kids did not have a place to go eat, because of these restrictions. School breakfast and lunch is how they kept from starving.
Total lie.  Almost all school cafeterias remained open to support breakfast and lunch programs.  If the cafeteria couldn't  handle social distancing, then brown bag take outs were made available.  The USDA delivered meals to the homes of children who normally bussed or lived at  distance.  A massive national effort was made
to keep those children well-fed throughout the pandemic and you just blithely assume those programs stopped without a single google.

Poor people, couldn't go to work.  People who cannot afford to miss work couldn't go and it hurt them and their family. Thankfully people on unemployment were and have been getting well paid for a while, but it doesn't help those who didn't qualify or who didn't know they could qualify.
But making more poor people sicker for the middle-class's convenience was obviously not the moral or practical solution.  Employers worked hard to make sure middle class office workers were able to continue working, but failed to do the same work for more menial employment.  Yes, it would meant a lot of retraining and a lot of paying people just to wait out the pandemic from home but trillions of dollars were made available by Fed and State govts to employers to do exactly that.  Many, even most employers pocketed the money, laid off the employees anyway and then howled bitterly when those employees weren't just waiting around to re-apply six months later.

These lockouts disproportionately harmed the poor

Unquestionably, but your nasty plan was to increase harm to the poor by maximizing the underclass's exposure to the disease.  The people did their part by staying home, the government did its part by creating programs that encouraged employers to keep employees on the payroll while not working, the employers let America down by taking the cash and laying off employees anyway.  Theoretically, with work at a standstill, every class should have taken a hit but that's not how it worked out.  The poor got much poorer, the middle class stayed steady, and the rich got much, much, richer.  You should place the blame where the blame is due.

I am honestly sick of hearing the complete disregard for poor people. You want to protect people from a slightly more deadly version of the flu, do so without killing poor people, harming poor people and without leading to more abuse of children. 
Well, let recognize that you are never honestly anything about anything.  Your antipathy towards the Black Americans who would be the most obviously harmed by your policies is well established.  I have no reason not to assume that your true motivation by this policy was to maximize death and harm to Black Americans.  That was certainly the motivation of the White Supremacists who generally inform your opinions.  The first year of coronavirus was 17 times more lethal than an average flu year and would have been even more catastrophic if anybody listened to your misinformed and cruel public policy recommendations.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
I pointed out how those policies harmed poor people who black people disproportionately make up. You agreed the poor were more affected and still don't apologize for the policies you pushed.

Just admit you hate black people. 

Sure employers are to blame for their stupidity, but they paid politicians to hand them money and use the pandemic as an excuse. Politicians giving free money knew what they were doing by not attaching strings to it. 

Listen you hate blacks. I'm not judging you, but it is absolutely true. You told me before you prioritize the lives of senior citizens already on their death bed over black children. You are a racist. 

You probably also support abortions that kill 50% of black people before they are even born, or support minimum wage increases that only harm blacks. 

It's clear you are a racist who actually supports policies that harm blacks while hypocritically chastising me for racist jokes that in fact have zero negative effects on blacks. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
Do not do the keto diet. It works minimalistically well at the sake of any energy.

Human bodies are meant to experience carbohydrate- based energy.

It isn't carbs on their own causing fatness but believe what you want.

I'm a slim guy, I eat a lot of carbs (not nonstop ofc), it's because I also eat well with vitamins, minerals and fibre to balance it out (ofc protein too) that I and others like me (slim people who regularly eat carbs) don't end up overweight.

I also unironically believe that playing games that demand a lot on the brain as a hobby (rather than simple mind-numbing activities) is consistently correlated with being slimmer whereas being into 'dumber' hobbies that also aren't physically demanding results in one burning less calories during their spare time.

I don't think everyone wants to lose weight though, I'd know. I do however believe that the cold turkey cutting of carbs isn't the optimal approach to weight loss at all.
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
I tend to avoid carbs. I don't do fatty meats, but I usually tend to avoids carbs. Eating too much carbs is not good for you, but your body does require carbs to process, but not a huge amount. Keto is LOW CARBS HIGH PROTEIN. It doesn't restrict you from having carbs, but tells you to lessen your carbs, which is healthy if you are training
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
Firstly, true keto diet is indeed zero carbs because ketosis is what happens to starving poor people as their body gets sick and starts digesting its own flesh and fat to create energy (yes, that is where 'keto diet' gots its name from).

Secondly, I have in my own time noticed both personally and via trials a theory that salty and oily foods are catalysts that then make bodies worse at digesting and superior at retaining calories as fatty tissue. Scientists who are skeptical keep quiet as it gets you shunned if you oppose the mainstream idea that carbs make people fat. You see, it's from carb-heavy food that the calories come but it's from salty and fatty foods that the body gets a catalytic tendency to retain the calories as fatty tissue rather than to break it down or to burn it.

High carb diets only make you fat if you both lead a very sedentary lifestyle (including mentally, not just physically) and eat oily and fatty foods regularly too. It is also very correlated with you lacking vitamins and/or minerals especially the B-vitamins. B-vitamins are the opposite kind of catalyst to what oily and salty foods are; they almost outright force the stomach and body to break down and release carbs as energy rather than retain it as fatty tissue.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
@oromagi
in-and-out burger's health insurance plan is as low-grade as Obamacare will allow.  That is, a bunch of employees probably lost more money than they made working for In-and-Out before they got laid off because In-and-Out was then so totally overstaffed after people got home from the hospital and the quarantines ended.
In and out burger is pretty much a model for how all fast food chains should be. Many of their store level managers make 6 figures.
RIght, but you understand those are employers, not employees.  Those are the ones doing the laying off.  In fact, you start of at part-time at and average national pay of $12.28/hr.  20 hours/week is about on bar with the national poverty level. One can just get by at first but most can probably work their way up to a full time job for $24,000 or better  in a year or two but it's not really a job to support a spouse or family on.

They only promote from within and I'm certain based on their record their employee health insurance plans are incredible. 
Well, part-time only gets you dental and vision and most of these employees were just starting part-timers.  I agree that In-and-Out has better benefits than almost any other fast-chain, but that's an artifact of California's higher demand.   And in any case, we have every reason to suppose the majority of people who got sick for In-and-Out burger lost more money than they earned during their brief employment.  I see nothing to indicate that In-and-Out helped out those employees financially although I'd agree their history suggest Corporate might have done some of that.

I also Don't think you realize how hard food is to acquire in some areas. Sure if there are 2 grocery stores near by, than a fast food joint is not essential. 
My point is that fast food in not only never essential it's not even healthy or beneficial.  Nutritionally speaking, there's almost nothing you can eat at a fast-food restaurant that's nutritionally superior to eating nothing at all.  The US Dept. of Agriculture estimates that there are about 24 million Americans roughly 14% who live in FOOD DESERTS which is defined as living more than one mile from a healthful food provider in urban or suburban areas and more than 10 miles from a healthful food provider in rural areas.  A healthful food provider must sell a variety of fresh food, including fruits and vegetables.  No fast food chains ever qualify as a healthful food provide because they are not just not-nutritional but  generally anti-nutritional- doing more harm to your body than good.

Some poor people only have their feet. They need to go whatever place is near by to get food for the day. Maybe that is Wendy's or burger King. 
Wendy's or Burger King is not food in the Dept of Agriculture sense of actually giving your body nutrition.  No people, including poor people,  enjoy any benefit from Wendy's or Burger King's that healthy government policy is willing to recognize.

Unfortunately in some cases that is a dollar general which profits from charging poor people absurd prices for food. 
Dollar stores are likewise never treated as a source of human nutrition by the US Govt.

Not everyone has access to food as well as you well off white people do. I also notice how fast food is brought up here. Poor people food and places the middle class eat food like Applebee's or chilis is being ignored.  The specific focus on fast food.  So why is fast foods all the examples and not casual eating places? Is it because you just want to shit on poor people some more?
I have no trouble including Applebee's or Chili's as low-paying employers who provide no nutritional advantage  and in fact, inflict a negative net nutritional value to their communities.  No Chili's ever diminished the size of a food desert.  In times of pandemics, Chili's and Applebee's have a moral responsibility as employers to help shield their employees from any unacceptable risks of harm or if risk is deemed acceptable, increase benefits substantially to reflect the increased burdens placed on the job.  Chili's and Applebee's owners and managers should work hard to find ways to maximize the number of employees who are kept on the payroll during a national crisis , even paying people to stay home.  Those stores have a moral responsibility to the community to share in the communities losses during economic downturns.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
@oromagi
I pointed out how those policies harmed poor people who black people disproportionately make up.   You agreed the poor were more affected and still don't apologize for the policies you pushed.
Because I blame the rich for the infliction of those harms and not myself.

Just admit you hate black people. 
So, instead of making a  reasoned response you're just going to play your provocation game?

Sure employers are to blame for their stupidity, but they paid politicians to hand them money and use the pandemic as an excuse. Politicians giving free money knew what they were doing by not attaching strings to it. 
Since when are the bribers less accountable for corruption than the bribed?  The employers were not stupid, they were corrupt and they were greedy during a national crisis.  A big portion of the upper class took corrupt, anti-American advantage of that crisis.  We can agree that the Trump administration was destructively corrupt and greedy.

Listen you hate blacks. I'm not judging you, but it is absolutely true. You told me before you prioritize the lives of senior citizens already on their death bed over black children. You are a racist. 
false.  Wylted's makes of  habit of such deceit.  Any arguments or....

You probably also support abortions that kill 50% of black people before they are even born, or support minimum wage increases that only harm blacks. 
No?   No counter-arguments of any kind?

It's clear you are a racist who actually supports policies that harm blacks while hypocritically chastising me for racist jokes that in fact have zero negative effects on blacks. 
Ok, thx. 

• I argued that Wylted had his facts wrong about child abuse.  There is no science saying that opening schools and increasing disease prevalence  in the community last autumn would have decreased parent stress or child abuse.  
    • Wylted seems to have conceded this point.
  • I argued that Wylted totally lied when he argued that school lunch programs got shut down during the pandemic.  Total falsehood and now Wylted has nothing to say about that lie.
  • I argued that making more poor people sicker for the middle-class's convenience was obviously not the moral or practical solution.  Wylted countered that  I hate black people.  Non-sequitur, at best.
  • I argued that Wylted's plan was to increase harm to the poor by increasing  risk of exposure.
  • I argued that  the problem came from the greed of the rich, which Wylted defends because some of those rich bribed some govt officials, ergo only govt. is to blame, I guess?
  • I argued that Wylted's history and policy suggest that his true agenda is to  maximize harm to black people.  Wylted counters that I hate black people.  I'm rubber, he's glue I suppose.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
I argued that  the problem came from the greed of the rich, which Wylted defends because some of those rich bribed some govt officials, ergo only govt. is to blame, I guess

I don't know where you get that. I don't let either off the hook. I pretty much hate all things big, be it corporations or government because of the corruption that always occurs when things get big. You just see politicians as benevolent and you have a bias for believing their benevolence if they say they are a Democrat and pander to your political views. Which is why you claim Donald Trump is a Russian spy and insult other Republicans and let democrats off the hook. 

So yes if you are defending politicians I am going to point out they are corrupt. 

And yes your policies do harm black people and you are only speaking of mitigating those harms so you can protect rich whites.  The school lunch program for example is not in every school district, so it is really only a mitigation of the harm the responses to a pandemic causes and not an entire elimination of the harm of the response. 

And you also miss the point about shutting down places with shifty food in food deserts. The response to not having access to any food is far worse than having just terrible food. Clearly good food is better, but it seems you would rather poor people starve and die than eat at McDonald's. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
@oromagi
I argued that  the problem came from the greed of the rich, which Wylted defends because some of those rich bribed some govt officials, ergo only govt. is to blame, I guess

I don't know where you get that. I don't let either off the hook.
I get it from the fact that you insisted last summer that government policy must change but had no such ultimatum for corporations in terms of pay increase or disease mitigation.

You just see politicians as benevolent and you have a bias for believing their benevolence if they say they are a Democrat and pander to your political views.
You seem to assume that all government is made up of politicians  when the opposite is true.  The overwhelming majority of most civil servants are not politicians and I allot that crowd about the same level of assumption of good intention as folk who don't work for government.  I am undeniably biased in favor of patriotism and consistent, rational governance which yes, unfortunately excludes the Republican Party from any advantage to my mind.

Which is why you claim Donald Trump is a Russian spy and insult other Republicans and let democrats off the hook. 
  • That's not bias, that's just free thinking.  When more than 70 of your people are found to be having undocumented relations with Russian agenst, when you find out that your best friend, your campaign manager, and your top spy were all secret foreign agents and do nothing about it, when Russia funnels you tens of millions of dollars and makes hundred million dollar loans available to you, when British and Israeli intelligence are convinced you are a Russian agent, then you are probably a Russian agent.
    • I consider Republicans objectively more corrupt than Democrats but would not let Democrats off the hook for corruption.
So yes if you are defending politicians I am going to point out they are corrupt. 
  • The government is not "politicians"  Not all politicians are corrupt, far fewer government officials are corrupt.

And yes your policies do harm black people and you are only speaking of mitigating those harms so you can protect rich whites.  The school lunch program for example is not in every school district, so it is really only a mitigation of the harm the responses to a pandemic causes and not an entire elimination of the harm of the response. 

So, you concede that you lied when you said school lunch programs were closed down by the pandemic.

And you also miss the point about shutting down places with shifty food in food deserts. The response to not having access to any food is far worse than having just terrible food. Clearly good food is better, but it seems you would rather poor people starve and die than eat at McDonald's. 
No, you are the one is not reading me clearly enough. The government doesn't owe you access to a hamburger any more than the government owes you access to a cigarette.  They're both carcinogenic shit  that responsible public policy shares zero interest in recommending or endorsing as necessary.  No responsible government would force fast workers into a high risk, high mortality situation on the basis of the necessity of making a McDonald's  hamburger available as an essential service.  For the 13% who live in food deserts, the govt has many alternatives but McDonald's is never one of them.   Yours is  a child's political position, a child too lazy or too addicted to fast food to switch to self-sufficient and responsible  food alternatives during a crisis.   100% on you, man.

Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
Firstly, true keto diet is indeed zero carbs because ketosis is what happens to starving poor people as their body gets sick and starts digesting its own flesh and fat to create energy (yes, that is where 'keto diet' gots its name from).
True keto diets are very much LOW carb. Fad diets are zero carbs

Secondly, I have in my own time noticed both personally and via trials a theory that salty and oily foods are catalysts that then make bodies worse at digesting and superior at retaining calories as fatty tissue. Scientists who are skeptical keep quiet as it gets you shunned if you oppose the mainstream idea that carbs make people fat. You see, it's from carb-heavy food that the calories come but it's from salty and fatty foods that the body gets a catalytic tendency to retain the calories as fatty tissue rather than to break it down or to burn it.
The thing is if you are actively trying to burn fat away from your body, carbs are the worse thing to do as they contain almost purely fat with no nutrients. At least with saltier foods, that contrasts with something more healthier. Fatty foods such as chips and such are terrible, that I agree too
High carb diets only make you fat if you both lead a very sedentary lifestyle (including mentally, not just physically) and eat oily and fatty foods regularly too. It is also very correlated with you lacking vitamins and/or minerals especially the B-vitamins. B-vitamins are the opposite kind of catalyst to what oily and salty foods are; they almost outright force the stomach and body to break down and release carbs as energy rather than retain it as fatty tissue.
It is very hard to burn calories mentally though, it is much more physical than anything

21 days later

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@MisterChris
WHY are we BANNING WYLTED?

Why did I vote for "WHY are we BANNING WYLTED?" as one of the top topics of the year? 

• Highly representative of our little cadre and how we do
    • 25 different posters across 288 posts.
    • Posted in the wrong forum
    • Focused on the limits of free speech (we have this conversation almost constantly in a lot of little ways)
      • Erred on the side of free speech
    • Lost the thread of our thesis many times
    • devolved into irrelevant dogfights and crosstalk frequently
    • continued arguing long after the question was decided
  • I like that minds were changed by way of debate- that rarely happens on this site but persuasion is our ultimate purpose here so its nice to see a bit of friendly persuasion on display occasionally
  • Dramatic tension dénouementing in Wylted's return.  Has anybody alt'd harder than Wylted and still been allowed to return?  Drama.

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@oromagi
lol thanks. This will be a rather unique write-up

42 days later

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
#FreeWylted
#FreeMesmer
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@Lunatic
To be clear I thought the allegations against bsh1 for pedophilia were pretty dumb as well, but I bet most the mods here took bsh's side on that one too lol
You would lose that bet. Virt sided with the pedo-accusers, leading me to refuse to become his deputy moderator when asked, and the rest of the site authorities pretty much stayed silent as bish went down in flames, as I recall. I was the only staff member I saw publicly taking bish's side, and I was only a part-time special moderator. He worked hard for this site for over a year, enduring hate and toxicity from pretty much every corner, and his reward was to be burned at the stake over one regrettable joke. I was really hoping he would have come back as a regular poster by now -- he would be such a great contributor -- but alas, it seems the damage done was total.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Castin
Looking back, it looked like more of a witch hunt versus an actual call for action

I think what led to his decline was his questionable bans up to that point. To be clear, I thought bsh was an excellent mod, but up to the incident, his bans were pretty bad

With his joke obviously being regrettable and all, if it were any other member, this would've been put to the side and forgotten. However, since he held such authority on the site, it was almost expected he acted adequately
Vader
Vader
-->
@Castin
By the way, haven't seen you in a while. How's things been?
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@Castin
wat did bush do?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
BigPimpDaddy
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@oromagi
not "wilted" tha bushh guy
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
He said lebron knew how to play with balls
BigPimpDaddy
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@RationalMadman
thats all?.... i knew liberals freaked out over stupid shit but that's not even bad.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@Vader
Okay somehow my reply got deleted. Repost:

By the way, haven't seen you in a while. How's things been?
Eh, not great. Spent five hours on Friday night trying to get my grandma into the ER and ended up having to take her home untreated because there were no beds.

My activity on DART has just never been the same since the bish thing, I guess. I never really forgave this place for overreacting to that incident so badly that bish couldn't even stay on as a regular. Him stepping down as mod, that I can understand. I think he was reaching the burn-out point anyway. But them making it so bad that we lost him entirely? That made me fucking furious. I mean, this was the guy who didn't even want a moderation log because he thought it would be a "wall of shame" and make banned people feel bad. He didn't want anyone to feel ostracized by the community. The irony.

Speaking of burn-out point. If and when you reach yours, put your mental health first. This place is hard on its mods, even though as far as I can tell they always do their best.