half of GOP men won't get vaccinated- why the stupidity?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 212
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Are you willing to call 15,000 dead liberals "stupid?"
I'm willing to call stupid people stupid certainly. I'm not sure how 15,000 dead liberals fall into it however.

No more precautious than a person under 65 with no co-morbidities that has a .003% chance of dying from Covid deciding to get a vaccine since they are sooo afraid of that risk of dying.
I agree. Getting a vaccine for that reason and that reason alone is reasonably silly if you are in the risk group that that figure is described for. However there are other reasons of course for getting the vaccine even if you are in that group. Perhaps you don't want to deal with the symptoms or any long term impacts. Perhaps you wish society to function normally again. Maybe you wish to visit your great aunt Mabel with multiple co-morbidities without giving her a death sentence.

Getting a vaccine for one of these reasons? Certainly more reasonable than getting a vaccine every 5 years for a disease where the last naturally occurring case was in 1975.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
 Perhaps you wish society to function normally again. 

You mean when we didn't have to virtue signal our compliance to crony authority?

Sure. I'll advocate that normality.

I'm willing to call stupid people stupid certainly. I'm not sure how 15,000 dead liberals fall into it however.

Trust authority is the mantra of the left.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
 Maybe you wish to visit your great aunt Mabel with multiple co-morbidities without giving her a death sentence.
You really haven't read most of this thread by posting that. Either that or you are purposely trolling.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
You mean when we didn't have to virtue signal our compliance to crony authority?

Sure. I'll advocate that normality.
Your framing of it makes you seem like a petulant child, but sure, if it makes you happier that way.

And the reason that you think I should call 15,000 dead liberals stupid is...?

You really haven't read most of this thread by posting that. Either that or you are purposely trolling.
The chance of getting smallpox in this day and age is lower than the occurrence of uneven distribution of vaccines. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
The chance of getting smallpox in this day and age is lower than the occurrence of uneven distribution of vaccines. 

No, your ridiculous shockjock edgy statement claiming if you vaccinate yourself, you will keep a possibly unvaccinated Aunt Mabel alive. That's either Trolling or a clear demonstrated ignorance of everything posted in this thread.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
And the reason that you think I should call 15,000 dead liberals stupid is...?
I never said I thought you should do that. People who flippantly throw about that slander are usually themselves ignorant and/or pathologically narcissistic.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't care for your shitposting. Either engage with the 1 of 1000 irrelevant points you seem to bring up or don't bring them up at all. It really is that simple.

I never said I thought you should do that. People who flippantly throw about that slander are usually themselves ignorant and/or narcissistic.
So then what is your point? I think calling someone who is not a health official who advocates a particular course of treatment based on apparently hot air is a buffoon. Do you somehow disagree with this opinion?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
I don't care for your shitposting
You're the one who posted this.

Maybe you wish to visit your great aunt Mabel with multiple co-morbidities without giving her a death sentence.
GTFO with the projecting. I really don't have the time or patience to play your trollish games.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
You're the one who posted this.
Your the one who keeps bringing up 15,000 dead liberals, as if it has any sort of point at all

GTFO with the projecting.
This just in: the world does not evolve around you. You may not have a great aunt Mabel, someone else will.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Your the one who keeps bringing up 15,000 dead liberals, as if it has any sort of point at all
*you're* ... and the point of the statement was to highlight the obvious ridiculous sentiment of both the OP and your claim that entire swaths of people should be slapped a pejorative label and ostracized as putting themselves at personal risk and a threat to society by listening to "Buffoons" in political power.

But to a troll, it probably looked like some pointless personal attack upon their narcissistic views.

I apologize for this if that was the case.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
*you're* ... and the point of the statement was to highlight the obvious ridiculous sentiment of both the OP and your claim that entire swaths of people can be slapped a label and ostracized as putting themselves at personal risk by listening to "Buffoons" in political power.
In otherwords, you've shitposted meaningless babble in response to a sentiment that I haven't actually expressed.

And you seem to think I'm the troll?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
That's fine, walk back the statements you made in #14 and #31.

Now we are on the same page.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Neither of those posts have anything to do with calling large swathes of people stupid. I would know, as I am the author of them.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
The reason you get vaccinated is actually to save yourself mainly, not others, you can still spread it. There's many misconceptions about it. I'm not going to simply take a dig at the Right Wing, even though I am left-wing.

There's currently 4-5 internationally sold vaccines. Originally it was just going to be Pfizer vs AstraZeneca but Moderna and now J&J are all claiming to be the superior worldwide vaccine option (there's a fifth one I've forgotten and of course there are the national-only one such as what Russia and China are using). 

If your job and roommates are not demanding you to get vaccinated in an overt, pressured manner, it is wiser (if you're very isolated and not in the high-risk health categories) to see which company's vaccine is best.

Over time if one or two have proven to have been much more effective or less severe in side effects (which may occur later on, not necessarily immediately but rather once your body reacts to the new mutated coronavirus, who knows) then take those vaccines.

In most nations, you can't even pick which vaccine you get at the moment. It's a whatever-is-available mentality and most are forcing even the rich to apply through the public healthcare system.

In the next few months this will alter and shift. Eventually you'll get to either choose which one or your nation will have found solid reasons for selecting the one it settles for as the public-provided vaccine on the healthcare system/plan available to the average citizen.

There are very smart reasons to sit and wait. This has got fuck all to do with wings of politics.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Why do you care?
Because it impacts all of us. Vaccines are not 100%, so they will still carry and pass the virus on to others. Plus the more the virus circulates the more it mutates, so a variant that the vaccines are ineffective against becomes more likely.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Fauci is a politician.
Just because the political right decided to make medical science political, doesn’t mean medical scientists are politicians
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Vaccines are not 100%, so they will still carry and pass the virus on to others.
Vaccines are only needed to protect those who can't do it naturally. The virus is always going to be here regardless.

That's why the statement saying healthy young people need to get vaccinated to protect the elderly is pure bullshit propaganda.

Also saying schools can't reopen until all kids get vaccinated is pure bullshit propaganda of the most insidious kind.

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Your immune system is the best vaccine especially if you’re young and strong like me 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
There was some talk about herd immunity last summer and some discussion about whether you could catch and transmit Covid once you already fought it off and recovered. Doctors were saying from all circles that even though you were immune to the effects of Covid, you could still carry it and pass it on to others. The same is most obviously true regarding vaccinated people, but people would rather listen to political scientists than actual science.

Scientists are frantically sounding the alarms about the asymptomatic spread of Covid, but politicians won't have any of it.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
This is the kind of statement that makes me believe the left is a seething cesspool of sheep listening to the loudest voice.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
If you're getting vaccinated every five years, what has the vaccine accomplished? If it's to bolster one's immune system, then there are alternatives that don't require intravenous introduction of an infection/disease/syndrome. 
  • The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines could offer immunity against COVID-19 for up to two to three years. However, they will most likely have to be administered annually. [**]
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines could offer immunity against COVID-19 for up to two to three years. However, they will most likely have to be administered annually. [**]
But what does it mean when these vaccines provide "immunity" against COVID-19 for a specified period of time? Does that mean that one is insulated from contracting the virus? Does it mean simply to provide a strength in one's immune system which isn't necessarily quantifiable? Whenever I hear or read of these vaccines, the dangerous side effects are never mitigated by these presumed benefits.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
Does that mean that one is insulated from contracting the virus?

No.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgmi
I'd imagine,
That some figure the virus isn't that deadly,
That some figure they can still get it once other people safety test it.
That some just hate the idea of  the population being administered anything en masse, that is controlled by a smaller population. Same fear some people have of GMO altered food, public water sources, cell phones that cause homicidal rage like in the Kingsman.

Many Public schools already require children get numerous 'other vaccinations to attend, and have for quite some time.
So what's different between 'that and 'this I wonder?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Greyparrot
No.
My point exactly. These vaccines aren't Teflon shields wrapped around one's respiratory system. Injecting the virus especially with some corticosteroid is an exaggerated response to that which can be addressed by simply practicing good hygiene (e.g. the way one avoids contracting the cold or flu viruses.)

Unpopular
Debates: 2
Unpopular
I do not think people in nursing homes would have an easy time social distancing and practicing good hygiene on their own.

Republican men will not take the vaccine because they do not trust government. They were singing a different tune when Donny was pushing the vaccine, bragging about how amazing it was that "he" could deliver such a miracle to the American people. Now they say it is rushed and unnecessary, of course.
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
-->
@Athias
how does the risk benefit analysis tend towards not gettin the vaccine? if you get the vaccine, you have next to no chance of dying. the worst that i see is maybe you might feel bad for some side effects. if you dont get the vaccine, you stand the risk of dying, even if you take precautions you still stand a significant chance of dying. 

isn't this a no brainer decision that the vaccine makes the most sense?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
The side effect of life is death.

But we take the risk any way.

Today we can reasonably expect to live for 75 years......All largely, down to vaccination and other medical advances.

A couple of hundred years ago, you were lucky if you made it to adulthood.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
 even if you take precautions you still stand a significant chance of dying. 

How do you know Athias is elderly with co-morbidities?

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@n8nrgmi
you still haven't given a coherent response as to why a person wouldn't get vaccinated. the risk to reward here is a no brainer. 
I have though, it's why you dodged my reply.