Religious Experience after reading scripture or other religious material

Author: janesix

Total: 78
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Stephen
As I've said - if you want to categorize 0.01% of a religion as a representative part have a blast - you're empirically incorrect, and have failed to provide even the most basic response to the facts I've provided. 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Suffering a brain injury can make people more religious, scientists have found.
Researchers from Northwestern University in Illinois, USA, found patients who had a brain trauma were less willing to accept new ideas and became more extreme in their religious beliefs.
The study, published in the journal Neuropsychologia, found that lesions in a part of the brain called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex were linked to higher levels of religious fundamentalism.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Theweakeredge
have failed to provide even the most basic response to the facts I've provided. 

Lord you really are a boring tit , aren't you.  

I haven't failed at anything, especially not debunking your throwaway comment : saying that  "religious people are mentally ill is not only stigmatizing to mental illness, but also... factually incorrect"#40

I am not interested in what you have provided. You are wrong , period!

And you still haven't explained why after years and years of believing in god , why you decided not to believe in god just because you eventually decided that you were Homosexual?  How can god just disappear because you discovered yourself to be homosexual?

You were quite happy believing in god when you didn't know you were homosexual.   You were happy that god believed homosexuals to be an "abomination" when you were "straight".   Never mind. I am past caring. 

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
So when the part of the brain that enables flexibility in ideas and beliefs is damaged it leads to fundamentalism is not the same as fundamentalist don't have healthy brains. If that is the case then there would be a study. There isn't because a healthy brain wouldn't be the reason for the problem. It's basically a twisting of cause and effect which is pretty shallow for the scientific community. 

" To investigate the cognitive and neural systems involved in religious fundamentalism, a team of researchers—led by Jordan Grafman of Northwestern University—conducted a study that utilized data from Vietnam War veterans that had been gathered previously. The vets were specifically chosen because a large number of them had damage to brain areas suspected of playing a critical role in functions related to religious fundamentalism. CT scans were analyzed comparing 119 vets with brain trauma to 30 healthy vets with no damage, and a survey that assessed religious fundamentalism was administered. While the majority of participants were Christians of some kind, 32.5% did not specify a particular religion."

Would like to see the break down of how many were  fundamentalist on the healthy side and how many with the injury were fundamentalist before the injury. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Stephen
I am going to block you - that's it - you have failed to comprehend my story at its most basic level

I came out as a homosexual AFTER I was an atheist you fucking prick. 

Next, you have attempted to use an EXTREME MINORITY to reflect the PSYCHOLOGICAL CONDITION of the majority. Its like pointing out that there are murderers in the Uk, and then concluding that all citizens of the UK are murderers. Your example is not relevant as less than 0.01% of Muslims are even at RISK for becoming violent, less so are actually violent. 

You have no clue what you are talking about, having ignored my instruction at every step. If you try to respond further beyond an argumentative level I will report you to the moderators. You are allowed to be wrong, ignorant even, but I draw the line at what you've done here - period. If you want further engagement challenge me to a debate and I'll take it and systematically chop your argument into pieces. 

Good day.
Stephen
Stephen

@theweakestlink

I came out as a homosexual AFTER I was an atheist you fucking prick.

I am going to block you

Hahahahhahhahah  .  Well just you remember that you have. 
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Theweakeredge

Theweakeredge,

YOUR QUOTE OF BEING A HOMOSEXUAL: "I came out as a homosexual AFTER I was an atheist you f*cking pr*ick."

Barring your use of disturbing and foul language, which is always helpful when trying to prove your point, NOT, therefore when you were a pseudo-christian did you leave the faith when you found out what Jesus, as the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate, thought of homosexuals?  

"If a man also lie with mankind, As he lieth with a woman, Both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death,; their blood shall be upon them.” (Leviticus 20:13)

"For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, Leaving the natural use of the woman, Burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, And receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. . . who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death."   (Romans 1:26-27)

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Not in the mood Thomas - my point was that my being homosexual wasn't even factored for my disbelief in god - that came after extensive philosophical thought and reading the bible. 
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Theweakeredge

MY QUOTE ONCE AGAIN RELATIVE TO YOUR QUOTE BELOW: "therefore when you were a pseudo-christian did you leave the faith when you found out what Jesus, as the serial killer Yahweh God incarnate, thought of homosexuals?"  

"Not in the mood" has nothing to do with you agreeing with me in my quote above when you stated:  " ... that came after extensive philosophical thought "and reading the bible" which equals in what I said in what Jesus thought of homosexuals!

There are many like you that leave Jesus and His inspired words once they fully READ the Bible, whereas for me, I have to accept the fact that Jesus can be a real SOB at times, but the only reason that I stick around with the faith is the FACT that there will be NO WOMEN in heaven, period!  We superior men had to put up with 2nd class Sisters of Eve while upon earth, whereas in heaven, the Bible says they will not exist, praise!

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Jesus never said a thing about homosexuals.  And many of they abominations of the Old Testament are violated every day by Christians. 

Proverbs 6:16-19
There are six things which the Lord hates,
Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,
A false witness who utters lies,
And one who spreads strife among brothers.

The gay ain't even on this list. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Wasn't Jesus gay?

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
Wasn't Jesus gay?
Jesus' sexuality was never addressed in the Bible as far as I can tell. Some say he was, some say he was married to Mary. I think of Jesus as a ascended master like Buddha and sex was not a priority to them. Which is why neither really addresses it in their teachings. 
FLRW
FLRW
Jesus was a Hebrew rabbi. Unusually, he was unmarried. The idea that he had a romantic relationship with Mary Magdalene is the stuff of fiction, based on no biblical evidence. The evidence, on the other hand, that he may have been what we today call gay is very strong. But even gay rights campaigners in the church have been reluctant to suggest it. A significant exception was Hugh Montefiore, bishop of Birmingham and a convert from a prominent Jewish family. He dared to suggest that possibility and was met with disdain, as though he were simply out to shock.  -
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
Jesus was a Hebrew rabbi. Unusually, he was unmarried.
He also traveled and didn't stay in one place long. Is he gay for not being overtly heterosexual or was he asexual?  No sure just not being married means gay. If there is no proof either way then one shouldn't suggest he was straight or gay. Especially since it' means little to his life and teaching. But I worship gods who are gay and gender fluid. Wouldn't bother me if he was. Just don't know how that effects his teaching since he never taught against homosexuality and he didn't preach the law. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Easy to say and easy to assume I suppose.

Such is how we are conditioned .

I would suggest that it is you, who actually orchestrates.....And you just assume, or prefer to believe that it is an outside influence.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Proverbs 6:16-19
There are six things which the Lord hates,
Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,
A false witness who utters lies,
And one who spreads strife among brothers.

The gay ain't even on this list. 

Yes, Witch. Such is the  contradictory nature of the classical mess we know as scripture. 

Jesus never said a thing about homosexuals.

But Jesus is god is he not? And god  commands that  homosexuals be put to death, has he not? Leviticus 20:13

He also traveled and didn't stay in one place long.

That's what people do when they are on the wanted list, Witch, they move around staying in different places or secret hideaways.

since he never taught against homosexuality

But Paul,  his greatest admirer and believed by many  to be founder of Christianity,   did:  

"For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, Leaving the natural use of the woman, Burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, And receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. . . who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death."   (Romans 1:26-27)

Not sure the libtards will appreciate the choice of words there , Witch. " natural use  of a woman" . Sounds like ` Saint `Paul is saying that women were only put on earth for one other thing besides cooking and cleaning. 

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone coming from ` St Paul` though. It is he that tells women to keep their mouth shut and leave all the talking to the men. 1 Corinthians 14:34.    Yes, this is `St ` Paul.  Murderer of hundreds of Jesus's own flock. He that admitted to killing women and throwing them from their houses. Yes, Witch, Jesus seemed to have taken a shine to ` St Paul` so much so that he was granted a special visit from Christ himself after the accession into "heaven" to ask ` St Paul` that he had it all wrong and would he mind not murdering women on his account. 

Just don't know how that effects his teaching

What did he teach, Witch?  Let me tell you, that  for every fluffy thing the scriptures say Jesus said , they also say he said the opposite. Here's a few examples:

Equal then not equal

John 10:30 " I and the Father are one".   

John 14:28  “ I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I" .

I judge then I don't judge 

John 5:22 , 30. " Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son.  By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just".

John 8:15     " You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.

John 12:47  " I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.

I am my own witness and it is true. Then It is not true.

John 8:14  “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going".

John 5:31   “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true.

Man is not my witness. Man is my witness .

John 33-34   “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved.

John 15:27  "And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.
And this is just skimming the surface , Witch. We also have  "honour your father and mother"  and  "hate your father and mother". AND " Love your enemies" - "I have not come to bring peace but a sword".  This list is long and varied, Witch, so can you tell me what it was that Jesus actually taught anyone that probable wasn't common sense and moral before he arrived on earth.

And much of the so called "Sermon on the Mount" is not original to Jesus either, Witch. And if you have read it closely enough you shouldn't  fail to notice that it separates and  categorizes people into their worthiness of reward.  Yet the only reward for homosexuality according to god/Jesus, is death.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@zedvictor4
I don't prefer to believe it at all. But we don't always get what we want.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Ok.