@Tarik
conversation that doesn’t concern you.
I made this thread. It all concerns me.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@3RU7AL
Do emotions sometimes cause a person to do things counterproductive to their STATED "conscious" intentions?

YES.  Almost always.
Well stated.
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I made this thread. It all concerns me.
I was simply pointing out the fact that I didn’t @ you when I made such comment, but something tells me you know that you’re just trying to be difficult, nonetheless if it concerns you all the same you would’ve responded to the post that I made specifically for you which you didn’t, instead you want to mess up the flow by bringing up messages intended for other people.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
you’re just trying to be difficult
Just mirroring your energy 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
As long as we agree that morality as you see it is irrational, I guess there’s nothing more to discuss ✌🏾 .
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Until we agree on a common goal it is.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Basically yours imaginary and mine doesn't work without cooperation from all involved.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Until we agree on a common goal it is.
By that logic nihilism is correct.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Nihilism cannot be "correct" or "incorrect". It isnot a belief or a claim it is the absence of them. Try again. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
So it’s correct that there’s an absence?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
What are you talking about? Things that are absent don't exist. Absences don't exist. That is their very definition. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
It isnot a belief or a claim it is the absence of them.
Or the rejection of them either way it’s correct to reject morality as you see it, which is what nihilism at its core really is, a rejection of morality, look it up wise guy.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tarik
Look it up wise guy.

Philosophically (See above forum classification) nihilism is the rejection of purpose and meaning in respect of existence.

You are quoting definition out of context...... Go to the religious forum, if you wish to discuss religious morality.

People neither accept nor reject morality....People live by an acquired code of conduct......A code of conduct that others my not agree with, and vice versa.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@zedvictor4
People neither accept nor reject morality....People live by an acquired code of conduct
I thought it was all the same to you, if I’m not mistaken didn’t you include a code of conduct in the definition of morality?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
correct to reject morality 
You cannot reject your own preference.

You must accept your own subjective idea about morality even if you are of the subjective opinion that morality is somehow objective.

If you rejected it it would not be your morality. By necessity whatever you believe after you reject your current opinions would become your new opinions your new morality. 

Also you still haven't offered a definition of morality that is not by necessity subjective. You haven't even concretely defined the moral dictates which you seem to think count as the morality itself.

Also also if you "believe" that it was more "correct" to reject morality than to play along than you would have a belief and couldn't be a nihilist. You are not arguing from a nihilist perspective or at least you are doing a poor job.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Also also if you "believe" that it was more "correct" to reject morality than to play along than you would have a belief and couldn't be a nihilist.
Nihilism- The rejection of all religious and moral principles, in the BELIEF that life is meaningless.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Look. Do nihilists believe stuff or not? 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
You are not arguing from a nihilist perspective or at least you are doing a poor job.

Look. Do nihilists believe stuff or not? 
Boy have the tables turned, one minute your telling me what nihilism is and the next your asking me questions, but to answer your question (because I’m such a nice guy) I guess that depends on what stuff your talking about.

On a last note, the fact that you’re now asking me questions I now take it as your deferring to me in regards to nihilism, so I refer you back to what I said before

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
 I guess that depends on what stuff your talking about.
Please be specific. What stuff do they believe and what stuff don't they? You know what it doesn't even matter I don't actually think you can speak for nihilists anyway if there even are any which I doubt.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
On a last note, the fact that you’re now asking me questions I now take it as your deferring to me in regards to nihilism, so I refer you back to what I said before

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
 I don't actually think you can speak for nihilists anyway if there even are any which I doubt.

Get me a quote from an actual nihilist if you can find one. Otherwise I think we should just forget about nihilism and stick to talking  about why we believe what we do believe. 

You are just trying to avoid the real question. Nihilism is a red herring. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I don't actually think you can speak for nihilists anyway if there even are any which I doubt.
That’s besides the point, fact of the matter is the meaning of the word itself (which was my argument and yours until I provided support for mine) I can speak on, so how about you ACTUALLY ENGAGE and address that rather than concerning yourself with things you don’t know.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik

You are just trying to avoid the real question. Nihilism is a red herring. 

The question is "why do you believe in hell?"

The question is not "why do you not not believe in hell?"
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
I’m not going in circles with you, I prefer to move in a straight line, and fact of the matter is we discussed that already however you didn’t answer the real argument which is

Lastly you don’t get to pick and choose when it’s a red herring when it suits you, because you had no problem saying things about nihilism before it’s only when I provided support you wanna change the subject, miss me with that I’m on to your stupid little game that your playing.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
No. Nihilism is not "correct". Rejectung a claim that cannot be demonstrated is neither correct nor incorrect it is just prudent skepticism. 

Also humans develop personal codes. We just do. Some are better for different goals. That doesn't make them "correct". Now why do you believe in hell? Why do you believe hell is just? The entire heaven hell dynamic as I understand some claims actactually seem distinctly unjust to me.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Rejectung a claim that cannot be demonstrated is neither correct nor incorrect it is just prudent skepticism. 
That’s an understatement, it’s over and beyond that, it’s prudent logic and rationality, which you admitted that morality as you saw it wasn’t.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
Rejectung a claim that cannot be demonstrated is neither correct nor incorrect it is just prudent skepticism. 
That’s an understatement, it’s over and beyond that, it’s prudent logic and rationality
Excellent I'm glad to here you are prepared to reject the idea of all supernatural including god(s) and the afterlife. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Don’t change the subject, if nihilism is rational and morality as you see it isn’t, then why aren’t you a nihilist?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tarik
What are you talking about? Rejection of all moral principles is effectively impossible. They only people who arguably are able to do so are mentally ill. 

Remember you supplied a two part definition. A rejection of all religious AND moral principles. 

Two separate things. If I embrace my own moral principles then I cannot be a nihilist. 

Ask me again what makes them moral without agreeing to sone PRECISE standard WHICH WE AGREE TO MUTUALLY for measuring morality. Or rather don't. Just tell me what makes "objective morality" moral and why I should bother with it when my opinions and the common consensus that human life and wellbeing is worthwhile has always been enough for me and enough for society at large.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@secularmerlin
Rejection of all moral principles is effectively impossible. They only people who arguably are able to do so are mentally ill. 
And you know this how?