policeman in george floyd case should probably be found innocent

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 259
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
But suppose the defense produced a different breathing expert, that stated that a normal person would not have died from the actions of the policeman?
They will. And the Jury will decide who is more believable based on logic and evidence.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
Greyparrot lacks reading comprehension (or is too stubborn to acknowledge this has already been addressed). 
I'm saying the situation was escalated before Chauvin even got there. The crowd yelling at him was irrelevant.
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
But suppose the defense produced a different breathing expert, that stated that a normal person would not have died from the actions of of the policeman?

They will, and the jury will have to decide if they believe Floyd would have randomly upped and died from an overdose even if nobody was kneeling on his neck and back. Of course there is video footage of him walking around and talking moments before the assault took place with him in no sign of physical distress, which is why I think the jury might get it right in a cop case for a change. But ya never know. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
I'm not trying to be a dick. But as was stated already, even if it's true that Chauvin had authority to pull his taser when he arrived on the scene, HE DIDN'T. So the fact that he had authority to do that but didn't is completely irrelevant to the charges against him. Why do you think it is relevant?

The only inquiries relevant to whether Chauvin is guilty of second degree murder are:

1) Was Chauvin and the other officers’ use of force improper (i.e., was it inconsistent with law, policy, and standard practice for the officers to kneel on a suspect's neck and chest while holding down his legs, after he was restrained and in the prone position)  and/or  or was Chauvin’s continued kneeling on Floyd’s neck for the full 9+ minutes improper -- which I think has been fully established as true. 

2) And secondly did chauvin’s wrongful conduct cause Floyd’s death? 

This is what the defense has to focus on. I really don't think anyone will come forward to say Chauvin's use of force was justified. I would be shocked. I guess we can find out pretty easily cuz the defense's witnesses are probably posted online somewhere. I'm so so busy this week and will be working really long days/nights through tax filing season so I don't have time to look it up atm. You should check to see which cops will be testifying on Chauvin's behalf. I'm honestly curious. 

n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
-->
@Lemming
then it will be debateable. as it sits now, it's uncontested. it might be as good as a fact that today's expert was accurate, for all we know. 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
I don't suppose it'd be legal for Chauvin to request that the same amount of force be used upon himself, as an argument that he did not / does not think that his actions were likely to cause, or 'were the cause of George Floyds death?
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Did you know Chauvin wasn't the first officer on the scene? He got a priority one call saying a large 230-pound man was actively resisting arrest. He had full authority at that point to pull his taser upon exiting his police cruiser and immediately open fire.

This isn't something the media covered.
Ya I realized that after watching the trial itself. Something Danielle probably didn’t do.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@ILikePie5
Ya I realized that after watching the trial itself. Something Danielle probably didn’t do.

Correct, and yet my understanding of what is happening is still so much better than yours.  

You ignored my request for a quote by a witness saying that a crowd yelling obscenities justifies using more force than is warranted on a suspect who is already restrained. Because nobody actually said that, so your interpretation of the testimony was wrong. Just like your interpretation that intent was relevant to all charges was wrong. Just like Greyparrot saying that violating police policy doesn't matter is wrong. And like him thinking that Chauvin not tasering someone when he had authority to do so somehow matters is wrong. 

I think I am seeing a pattern.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Danielle
I am extremely busy and actually working in the field today so I can't respond to you line by line from my phone. But it's not true that the questions were tailored to George Floyd. It was a  general line of questioning. The defense attorney never asked based on how THIS crowd was behaving, how a cop on scene could be distracted; he never asked based on how THIS crowd was behaving, a cop could have been fearful, and he never asked how George Floyd in particular was behaving once he was cuffed on the ground, how a cop could think that Floyd was being actively aggressive and that therefore kneeling on his neck was necessary. He didn't ask those things because he knew that the witness testimony in response would not be helpful. 
The questions are purposely designed to be leading lol. The crowd was yelling obscenities, a man was being physically restrained. A person even approached an officer. The ambulance people also saw the area as a threat lol.

Instead he cherry picked buzz words and phrases (talk about taking things out of context) and said "if someone was calling you a pussy, would that be sufficient to cause alarm" and started frantically pacing around for dramatic effect. He specifically never referenced THIS scene where someone was calling the cop a pussy, because every single cop thus far testified that none of the crowd's behavior on that particular day warranted  Chauvin's response. 
Are you denying that people weren’t calling the cops pussies and other names. Are you denying that people were being held back? Are you denying that people were approaching officers? Cause all of this is categorically false. 

Everyone thus far testified that Floyd should have been turned on his side even given the actions of this particular crowd. Not a single witness said that people verbally threatening and yelling obscenities constitutes a dangerous situation.
Yes they did lmfao. Literally watch the testimony.

The witnesses said that you would be conscious of the crowd and be aware of them to ensure that their behavior did not escalate. They said it would be reason for the cop to "maintain restraint" on the suspect.  Floyd was restrained when he was handcuffed and lying on the floor. Maintaining restraint is not the same as having multiple people kneeling on someone's neck and back.
Actually that is maintaining restraint lol because it’s taught by MPD. There’s a picture about it too.

No one said there was any reason to be fearful of the actual crowd in question. To the contrary, each expert agreed that the crowd was concerned and upset but complying and posed no threat.
So why did the ambulance not render aid right then and there? Because the surroundings were perceived as a threat. Nelson clearly emphasized this.

That's why the defense had to desperately resort to generalities and ask things like "And isn’t it true that the safety concern might come not from the suspect himself, but from angry bystanders?" He 100% avoided talking about this particular scenario in question. 
Are you claiming there weren’t angry bystanders? Because there sure as hell were. There’s a picture of a guy being physically restrained. There’s video of a guy literally approaching one of the cops.

Calling names is not a threat, and the crowd stayed on the curb.
People approached the officers lol. They were yelling verbal threats and obscenities. 

In fact, when officer Thao who was facing and monitoring the crowd yelled at them to get back and stay on the curb, they complied.
After someone approached him lol. Mob mentality can really shift easily don’t you think?

They always complied. Again that's why the defense attorney cherry picked things that were said but did not ask about the scenario in question as it actually played out.
You have it backwards lol. The scenario was literally clear. There was a threat posed by the crowd. 

“Later, on re-direct, Schleiter would attempt to diminish the damage of this bit of testimony by asking Mercil if bystanders merely taking videos would constitute a reason to not provide care. The answer, of course, was no.

But that merely provided Nelson with the lay-up opportunity on re-cross to ask whether a mob shouting insults and outright threats would constitute such a reason—and that was conduct of the mob in this event—and the answer to that, of course, was yes.”

So who’s not talking about the full context? It’s very clear to me that you didn’t bother reading the article.

He asked a compound question to which Mercil said yes regarding an officer being called a bum or something, but all witnesses repeatedly said that an agitated crowd would not justify increased force on the suspect.
It wasn’t an increased used of force. It was maintaining the restraint until EMS got there - something which Mercil conceded he had done in the past. So he should be arrested right?

Also, the crowd's behavior escalated when Floyd started to or did lose consciousness. Therefore (even if such analysis were permissible or consistent with protocol) the crowd's behavior could not be used to justify Chauvin's initial decision to kneel on Floyd's neck, nor his decision to remain kneeling on the neck for over 6 minutes before consciousness was lost. 
What? You admitted that tasing was justified and putting a knee to the neck was a lesser force that could be used. So his initial decision was definitely right per your own admission.

Maintaining the pressure was also talked about

“Similarly, Nelson hit back on the state’s emphasis on the whole “recovery position” narrative in the context of hypothetical positional asphyxia.  Might there be circumstances that would prevent putting a suspect in a recovery position?  Mercil answered that there were.

It was after Nelson was done with cross that Schleiter attempted to salvage something from this train wreck for the prosecution by showing a still photo of the bystanders, pointing to some holding phones, and asking if people taking videos was a good enough reason to maintain a restraint. Mercil answered that video taking by bystanders was not a sufficient reason.

That’s when on re-cross Nelson pulled up the exact same photo that Schleiter had just used, and pointed out that in the picture MMA Williams was clearly being physically restrained from advancing on the officers by the arm of another bystander pulling him back.

Would the threat of imminent physical violence from bystanders be a sufficient reason to maintain restraint on a suspect? If the crowd is shouting that they’re going to slap the “F” out of you, that you’re a “p-word,” that you’re a bum, would that be sufficient to cause the officers to be alarmed about the prospect of imminent physical violence from the bystanders?

Yes, Mercil answered, it would.

It was the prosecution that didn’t talk about the context. Nelson brought the full context.

Again, being fearful of the crowd (if justified) only justifies use of force on the crowd. You cannot use the actions of a third party to justify the LEVEL of force used on a suspect. You're literally making the insanely stupid argument that if you were under arrest and that I as a witness started yelling at the cop that he was a pussy, that would somehow justify the cop beating you or killing  you because I was yelling obscenities while standing on the curb.
That’s a false analogy. The restraint was already used. He didn’t escalate the use of force. He maintained it because of the perceived threat of both Floyd and the crowd.

I have no idea why you think that's valid. And if you think a cop has said that it's justifiable to increase the use of force on a suspect because a crowd started name calling, please specify that  quote for me because I definitely missed it. I'm listening to the testimony on my phone cuz I'm not WHF this week, but I'm fairly certain you just made that up. 
They didn’t increase the use of force lmao. And I never said they did. What the Defense asked was:

“Would the threat of imminent physical violence from bystanders be a sufficient reason to maintain restraint on a suspect? If the crowd is shouting that they’re going to slap the “F” out of you, that you’re a “p-word,” that you’re a bum, would that be sufficient to cause the officers to be alarmed about the prospect of imminent physical violence from the bystanders?

Yes, Mercil answered, it would.”

There you have it. The state’s own witness saying a crowd doing all the things the crowd in the George Floyd situation were doing warrants maintaining the restraint. I never said escalate the use of force. And the Chauvin didn’t escalate force either.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Danielle
Correct, and yet my understanding of what is happening is still so much better than yours.  
Categorically false lol.

You ignored my request for a quote by a witness saying that a crowd yelling obscenities justifies using more force than is warranted on a suspect who is already restrained. Because nobody actually said that, so your interpretation of the testimony was wrong.
You’re making big fat strawman right now lol. Nelson, nor I said a crowd that’s a threat warrants an escalation of force. That never happened here. The restraint was simply maintained

Just like your interpretation that intent was relevant to all charges was wrong. Just like Greyparrot saying that violating police policy doesn't matter is wrong. And like him thinking that Chauvin not tasering someone when he had authority to do so somehow matters is wrong. 

I think I am seeing a pattern.
You admitted that you have no idea what you’re talking about and instead are relying your interpretation based on news headlines that don’t even mention what the defense and prosecution  actually said.

The prosecution asked if a crowd merely videoing was a threat not whether the crowd as whole could be viewed as a threat. It was Nelson that brought in context
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgmi
"Should probably"

Every time I see this in the Forums listing, I cannot help thinking that "probably" is surplus to requirements, if not grammatically inappropriate.

Should be.....Or.....Probably will be.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
The George Floyd deaths happened over 10 months ago.  Why is he still relevant?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Because moments, individuals, actions identified, can gain a celebrity statues, by that I mean they gain the interest of the people.

Because some view the trial, not as an individual on trial, but as America on trial, and in either decision will people be upset.

Because some worry the trial is a spark, that may ignite a mob.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Because moments, individuals, actions identified, can gain a celebrity statues, by that I mean they gain the interest of the people.
This is only because the news shoves it down our throats.  The typical person buys into it and bases their entire ideology off of what's in the news, even if in the grand scheme of things, what the news is broadcasting isn't relevant for people's lives.

Because some view the trial, not as an individual on trial, but as America on trial, and in either decision will people be upset.
This is only because the news has been so obsessed with it.  Murders should not make the news.  Bills made by politicians should make the news, because that gives our politicians incentive to not be curropt pieces of shit.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
'Maybe,
. . .
There 'are many 'other trials 'not being televised I suppose.

But the news have taken an interest in 'this trial, because a number of people have taken an interest in this trial, I 'think.

There 'are a lot of deaths other than this one I suppose, and bills 'are of vital significance.
Many bills are sneaked through without the public noticing them, or amendments sneaked into bills without people noticing them.
. . .
It's 'still not 'only the media focusing on this case though, I 'think.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
No trial should be televised.  It causes justice to be unfair for the defendant, as it causes people to enact mob rule on the defendant.  Televised trials lead to more innocent people facing punishment.  The news should broadcast bills that congress people pass and their basic summary so people can hold their politicians accountable.  Thoughts?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
My knee jerk thought,
Is that trials being open to public viewing, knowledge seems better than being behind closed doors.
Though I agree 'mob justice is bad, mobs calling for near everyone to go to the guillotine for instance.

But there are also occurrences in which injustice is preformed by the ruling government to rid itself of dissidents.
Stalin Russia, Hitler Germany, Mao China.
Quite probably America, Britain, so on, at certain points in our pasts.
Possibly even 'currently at times, I am uncertain.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Is that trials being open to public viewing, knowledge seems better than being behind closed doors.
The media can only give the public knowledge on certain things.  Knowledge in random trials means ignorance in bills being passed by congress, and ignorance in random trials can (if used ideally) lead to knowledge in bills being passed by congress.  I don't care what happens to Derek Chavan that much.  I care about what bills congress is passing and the contents of these bills.

But there are also occurrences in which injustice is preformed by the ruling government to rid itself of dissidents.
This isn't happening right now.  If congress was to make a bill that geocoded any ideological group, that should make the news, and there should be a revolution at that point.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
'Is there a news network focused 'specifically on government and it's workings, contents of their bills and such?
If not, perhaps one could be successful in such a niche.

Simply because something does not happen 'right 'now, does not mean that vigilance should be lessened.
For the future exists.

I don't know how closely media televised pot possession for instance,
But such seems something society 'should have taken notice of sooner, for reasons of right and wrong, rather than self pleasure and wanting a new drug made legal to could their minds.
Many of the 'heavy sentences given in the past due to minor possession, have been unjust. I assume.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@ILikePie5
Bruh I am genuinely disturbed by the amount of times you were laughing at your own replies to me. I highly doubt you believe that I would be convinced your take on things is somehow any substantive than mine just because of a useless phrase like "lol" which proves nothing, so it just seems like you're making light of someone's murder and/or a potential (dare I say likely)  jail sentence for someone you believe to be innocent... which kinda feels a little sick to be honest with you. Maybe you should explore that. 

But anyway  I was a little tense while listening to the trial these last few days (there's no way I'ma have time to fully reply until at least the 15th) though I am feeling a bit more confident after today. This witness for the defense is absolute trash.  I've clarified to you that I've been listening  to testimony on my phone albeit not in real time, and whatever I miss I just watch on YouTube and can read transcripts for, so... yeah. We're both watching the same thing; you just have a ridiculous political bias that is compelling you to believe Derek Chauvin shouldn't be convicted which is insane. He COULD be found innocent because society usually gets rock hard for cops on trial, but in this case it would be hard for me to see the jury buying this "justified use of force" nonsense -- especially after seeing this joke of an expert. He's horrible. I currently have his testimony paused to where the prosecutor is asking him if Chauvin's actions were likely to cause pain and he refuses to say yes. Derp. I will finish listening on the train home tonight most likely. I'm eager to get to the part where he gets to ask what about Floyd's positioning or situation would constitute an active resistance that put the officers in so much danger. 

I mean the defense in this case is garbage even though the attorney is good. It's just that there is video footage of Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd, so Nelson has no choice but to make the ridiculously bad argument “BUT a person CAN die of natural/other causes WHILE experiencing police brutality.”  Like imagine if a cop shot and killed your brother while unarmed and handcuffed, and the cop's defense was that your brother's hemophilia or anemia or diabetes or some other preexisting condition he had while he was shot dead contributed to the point that your brother was somehow to blame for his own death. 😒   The jury is basically being told "don't trust what your eyes are telling you" as they watch a man needlessly take another man's life. That’s what they tried in the Jason Van Dyke case. Fortunately that trial ended in a conviction; unfortunately his sentence was only 81 months in prison. I have no doubt a similar abortion of justice will transpire here, but at this point I still think Chauvin will be -- and definitely should be -- found guilty. I will reply to your post when I can. 

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Danielle
Bruh I am genuinely disturbed by the amount of times you were laughing at your own replies to me. I highly doubt you believe that I would be convinced your take on things is somehow any substantive than mine just because of a useless phrase like "lol" which proves nothing, so it just seems like you're making light of someone's murder and/or a potential (dare I say likely)  jail sentence for someone you believe to be innocent... which kinda feels a little sick to be honest with you. Maybe you should explore that. 
You have gone full woke with TDS. I am no longer interested in having a conversation on this subject with you. We will see the verdict in a week or two. Have a nice day.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
She doesn't have TDS, she just reaaaly hates cops.

That career deskjockey lady who killed a felon while he was resisting arrest was training up a batch of new woke recruits. This is the direct result of defunding the police.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@ILikePie5
Am I to believe it's just a coincidence that you no longer want to have a conversation on this subject with me precisely on  the day the defense started plummeting in a downward tailspin right before your very eyes? Cuz obviously I don't buy that, but I'm comfortable not directing my comments toward you and just have you read them and soak it all in without replying to me. That is helpful  considering the totality of your feedback amounted to basically "lol that's not true" and "lol that is so false" and "lol no they didn't"  which was  never worth my time in the first place. 

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't hate cops. I detest the blue wall of silence and all the protections police officers get at society's expense, which allows them to get away with murder (literally) and other crimes with impunity. All the time. This is something EVERYONE should hate, especially people who claim to be wary of big government and automatic compliance with authority. But ironically those are the people who tend to wanna deepthroat the shit out of cop's boots. Very weird. 

Also my contempt is starting to go down now that society is paying attention and starting to take meaningful action thanks to activists.  
Danielle
Danielle
The prosecution presented compelling evidence that Derek Chauvin 1) killed George Floyd by  2) using excessive force. The defense will have to cast doubt on at least one of those claims. 

Chauvin's lawyer argues  that Floyd "died of a cardiac arrhythmia that occurred as a result of hypertension, his coronary disease, the ingestion of methamphetamine and fentanyl, and the adrenaline flowing through his body, all of which acted to further compromise an already compromised heart." But even that does not let Chauvin off the hook, since the stress caused by his use of force plausibly contributed to the adrenaline flowing through Floyd's body and the ensuing "cardiac arrhythmia."

The fact is even if God himself came down and said Danielle is going to die on 2/22/22 at 2pm, and Derek Chauvin did to me that day at 1:59 pm what he did to George Floyd, Chauvin's still responsible for my death even if I was unhealthy, on drugs, or definitively about to die a minute later anyway.  So the defense prosecuting George Floyd's body for his own death is nonsensical albeit the only thing they can really do. In fact they should have focused solely on that in my opinion. It was a big mistake to put that guy Barry Brodd on the stand. I think even the Chauvin cucks in this thread have to admit that he was objectively trash as a witness. 

First of all he looked like Captain Douche McDouche, former police chief of Doucheville whose job it is to testify in every single case that a cop's use of force was justified.  But more significantly he annihilated his own credibility over and over again. For instance, he refused to acknowledge that Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck. He simply refused and actually tripled-down that no his knee was on Floyd's BACK. So the prosecutor literally had to draw a circle on Floyd's upper back and be like "Would you consider this his upper back? Yes? Okay and is Chauvin's knee here? No? Okay, so if I draw a circle here, would you agree this is George Floyd's neck? Yes? Okay and is this where Chauvin's knee is, correct? Okay so you agree that his knee is on Chauvin's NECK, yes" and then Brodd would be like "...in this particular clip, yes" as if it was physically painful for him to acknowledge. And the prosecution would be like "Okay and the timestamp of this clip is X, right? And you agree he stayed in the same position for another 8 minutes, yes? So is it fair to say his knee was actually on Floyd's neck for a total of 8+ minutes?" etc. (this is not verbatim testimony)   and  essentially the prosecution just tore him to shreds. 

I'm trying to remember my favorite part but there were so many gems. Brodd refusing to acknowledge Chauvin was on TOP of Floyd was another win for the prosecution after an unnecessary line of questioning. At one point the prosecutor had Brodd confirm that Chauvin's behavior constituted excessive force by Minneapolis standards (for which he had over 800 hours of training) since Brodd was trying to claim well there are different standards of force across the country. The prosecution's like "would a reasonable officer be expected to follow the policies of their own jurisdiction?" Brodd had no choice but to answer yes. He  just looked so so so bad and lacking all credibility of objectivity whatsoever. 

Also noteworthy from medical testimony (sorry this is random interjection but I wanted to make this point real quick) is that when one of the officer's remarked that Floyd seemed to be passing out, officer Lane suggested that Floyd should be turned from his stomach to his side and Chauvin said "leave him." And when officer Kueng reported that Floyd had no detectable pulse,  the cops should have immediately begun CPR which they didn't. There were opportunities to take care of Floyd while he was in custody but the cops routinely chose to keep him in the most vulnerable state despite being handcuffed and prone. I truly believe it's going to be very hard for the defense to convince people that Floyd would have died had Chauvin not repeatedly violated the training and policies of his department, choosing instead to utilize unnecessarily excessive force. 

After this weekend I will be free to come online more, though  I don't think pointing out the obvious matters much to people with TDS - i.e. people who would lick peanut butter out of every single Trump orifice they could possibly find while beaming with pride and joy. But we'll see how I feel. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
I don't hate cops. I detest the blue wall of silence and all the protections police officers get at society's expense, which allows them to get away with murder (literally) and other crimes with impunity. All the time. This is something EVERYONE should hate, especially people who claim to be wary of big government and automatic compliance with authority. But ironically those are the people who tend to wanna deepthroat the shit out of cop's boots. Very weird. 

Also my contempt is starting to go down now that society is paying attention and starting to take meaningful action thanks to activists.  

Police unions are going nowhere. A few people resigning isn't fixing the underlying problem.

There are just far too many leftists screaming "mah unions" for there to be any lasting reform.

RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
And I repeat,

If you murder someone who was dying anyway, you still murdered them.

This line of defence is futile, he's a murderer even if they totally succeeded at propagating their lie.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgmi
the main reason i say that, is because the police man's supporters say floyd was gonna die anyway as he was doped up. they seem sure of it.

But was he helped on his way? It is a question that just has to be asked - unfortunately -regardless of the circumstances. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Stephen
But was he helped on his way? It is a question that just has to be asked - unfortunately -regardless of the circumstances. 
By this logic, there's no such thing as murder. We're all going to die OF something eventually. You'd simply have to find an expert to say "well, he had poor eating habits and probably would have developed diabetes, which can be fatal, therefore, beating him to death isn't murder.
It's a truly bizarre line of defense. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
I completely agree. That's why I don't worry about NYC turning into a lawless criminal wonderland like all the fear mongers. Apparently they're unaware that public union power shows zero signs of subsiding here or in any other city. 

But I have to hold bootlickers accountable as well. People who say things like "why would you run from the cops???" Well, for starters, they can't tell their glock from their taser.