Author: DebateArt.com

Pinned
Total: 1,732
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Get bsh1 to add the details of the graded system and what the other choice does to the tutorial/terms thread.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
"Graded System (Four Parts)" replacing the other but also, four part should be the default. When the page loads, the position being Pro and voting system being Four Parts should be default options, as should Open Voting. You need to ensure noobs don't pick silly choices, it will decrease the stress on them and increase the pleasure to us as they're less likely to just go 'omg I don't know what to pick' and not be there with a debate to get a win from. ;) They are also more likely to recommend the site to friends and feel at ease creating debates when all they need to do is type obvious parts and the system picks the rest for them.
Thank you! And I like the idea with the defaults, I'll probably change them tomorrow.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@bsh1
^^^
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Law isn't Politics. There needs to be a Law section. Not Society or Politics but Law.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
Section where?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Debates and forums
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
You cannot delete a debate comments on phones. If you press ok it literally doesn't work. Neither does tapling it again.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
Could you please give some info about your phone model ? 
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
Why is law not society? I think it's useful to keep forums related to each other in the same forum, so that more people respond to the OPs. For example, if a person visits the Society or Politics forum frequently but doesn't bother clicking on other forums, they're not going to answer a legal question in the Law forum, but they would in the Society or Politics forum. To get posts about related issues traction, I think it's a good idea to not keep dividing forums into multiple subcomponents. Law is close enough to Society to go there. If needed, rename it the "Society and Law" forum. Or push law into politics and rename that forum the "Politics and Law" forum. I think the Education forum could also be merged into one of these. 

Similarly, I think the Art, TV, Movies, and Music forums should be merged into an "Art and Entertainment" forum, and the Nature and Science forums should be merged into a "Science and Nature" forum. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
I agree with the bottom line, the rest I don't. Law is in and of itself something sacred and unique from both society and politics.

Society and politics are linked but not directly. Economics is closer to politics than 'society' is once you study it well enough. I'm sure to a far-left-winger such as yourself (strange for an Indian, I must say but good on you for not being a right-wing sellout) that you won't appreciate the difference. To you they're intertwined but to more right-wing individuals there's a huge gap. In fact the most right-wing philosophy is that law should never ever be about what society feels or wants but based in only the minimum amount of required restrictions possible.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
The issue isn't about whether law should be determined by what society feels. The issue is that law, politics, religion, entertainment, and, in fact, most of the forum subjects, are technically subsets of society. However, obviously, it doesn't make sense to have a single forum for "society" to cover all of those. However, in subjects that link with each other very frequently -- much more frequently than, say, entertainment or religion would link to social issues -- it makes sense to keep forums merged. Politics causes laws to exist, so those two are very similar, just as an example. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
Law is a thing in and of itself. I am telling you that I don't agree with you on this at all. Law requires much higher English comprehension where 'Society' debates require much higher psychology and sociology comprehension. Politics requires both and also math on top of it, making it the most intricate of the trio.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
Also, just on a personal note, I'm not really "far-left." I used to be far-left about a year ago. I'm center-left – in fact, by European standards, I'd be a centrist. For example, I would vote for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama over Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. I also am somewhat economically conservative on some issues, e.g., free trade and economic globalization (I'm strongly in favor of both). 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@RationalMadman
In which forum -- Law, Society, or Politics -- would discussions about Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings or a prominent Supreme Court case take place?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
While I agree to you on the HvsB vote, I believe strongly that we do that for totally different reasons. I support corruption for the right reasons and abhor naivety that will enable sinister people in the long-run to topple you in brutally long-term ways.

That's why I'd always have supported Clinton over Sanders. Obama is a superficial asshole, I would vote like this:

Hillary>Bernie>Obama

There is SO MUCH behind the scenes that will make you dislike Obama from both wing's point of view. Obamacare is completely silly and is the inverse of what should have been done; single payer taxed healthcare insurance subsidisation.

Obamacare worked by blackmail more than subsidising, this was the entire problem with it. Insurance companies took it out on the poorest after they realised they were going to go bankrupt if they stayed genuine.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
You are right, that's a grey area. Definitely not politics based on the degree of that involved vs the other 2. Law or Society.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
New changes:

Added the donations section.

Before you start a panic thinking we will turn into another of those websites that try to force the donations on every page, that won't happen. Please read the donations page for more details about why and how.

Also, if you find the text on the donations page too rough or just bad in any way, help would be appreciated. Writing is not my thing, especially when I don't have plenty of time for it :/
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
I am afraid I didn't have time to finish the changes to the default values and naming, will do it tonight. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
People are egotistical by nature (even the humble among us want to be known for our humility), the complete lack of ability to show off that we've donated is going to significantly reduce those who want to do it.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
Well, I mentioned this on the donations page, Patreon provides API that I could use to implement, what they call, automated gifts, but if we want this, we need to decide what it should be first. There's bunch of options really. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Another piece of advice, red is the single worst colour for such a sign. You want people to associate calm and/or pleasure with it, not rage or alarm.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
You are probably right, I used the red one because it's the Patreon's color. 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
I don't know where you stand on the chat feature, but it is still advertised on the landing page.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
Yeah I know, the landing page is a damn disaster, if to be honest... I will try to make it more decent after NY.
TheHammer
TheHammer
I don't know if this has been brought up, but every time I try to open a profile picture in a new tab, it automatically tries to download it to my computer. Apart from being annoying, this could seem shady to new users.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@TheHammer
I am not sure if I understand what you mean, maybe you are clicking "Open IMAGE in a new tab" instead of "Open LINK in a new tab"?
TheHammer
TheHammer
-->
@DebateArt.com
That's exactly what I'm doing, since it's the only option on my end: https://i.imgur.com/qkRe6l1.png

On most websites opening an image in a new tab results in being directed to a unique url on the website to view the image, not in automatically trying to download the image to your computer.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@TheHammer
That may something to do with the way I store the images, they don't get marked as images and therefore the browsers can't know the file type and just download it instead of showing it. It may be inconvenient but it's nothing shady. I will try to fix it at some point. 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Would it be possible to have the users who are also moderators have a toggle-able feature that enables/disables their moderator abilities?

In other sites where moderators are also users, and use the same account for both, the site usually implements a feature that allows that user to distinguish between their participation as a normal user and their participation as an act of moderation.

Mostly this is cosmetic, such as changing the color of their username, changing the background color of their mod posts, or otherwise adding a label or badge to their post.

It can also include non-cosmetic changes. For example a mod can only bypass the block feature when the mod-mode is turned on, but not when it is turned off.