“Excess of liberty...."

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 17
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
“Excess of liberty, whether it lies in state or individuals, seems only to pass into excess of slavery.”

Quote by Plato.

Thoughts?
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Dr.Franklin
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Sum1hugme
cool quote
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It sounds vaguely authoritarian, and while i can agree... to an extent - only to the extent of prohibiting freedoms to harm another.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Theweakeredge
alright then
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
From whence the quote? The Republic?

I disagree, for I see no excess of liberty with the following exception:

I do see the prudence of limitation, such as the interrupt to the freedom of speech that we should not express or act by whatever has the potential to harm another, therefore, the oft-cited idea that any individual's liberty ends at a neighbor's nose [but not necessarily the ear], and vice versa. That said, by explanation, I disagree that words, alone, should have the real potential to harm only because the recipient of words, alone, should have a better backbone to both resist being offended, or worse, act on another's words that would cause physical harm to the first party or a third party. Taking offense by another's words is not expressed, but is part and parcel of the 1A. We have the right to be offended. We do not have the right, by virtue of taking offense, to censure, or to retaliate physically.

With this exception to the excess of liberty, I say excessively liberate away to one's pleasure, particularly if it also pleases another.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Too much liberty doesn't get things done.

Me.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
You mean by liberous ignorance of personal responsibilities? I suppose that is a distraction, and can even attest to its temporary satisfaction. Perhaps by watching Big Bang Theory episodes.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
i agree too much liberty is bad
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
If I have a moment to spare, I will watch an episode.
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
In BDSM, it's very liberating for some extreme submissives to receive treatment similar to a servant or even slave.

In general, I think this applies more as a warning that in anarchy only the brutal or manipulative rise to the top.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Dr.Franklin
“Excess of liberty, whether it lies in state or individuals, seems only to pass into excess of slavery.”
Seem is not an argument; Plato should've known better.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It looks like a lot of people are taking a very literal interpretation of this (it might be the best, I don't know the context of the quote), but I think the quote could also be applied in another way. 

An excess of freedom, at least for individuals, can lead to our own personal enslavement. Freedom or 'liberty' to do drugs opens us up to be enslaved to an addiction or really any other vice. 

The anarchy leading to tyranny interpretation works well for the state, but I think that is another interesting way to read it. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
That sounds exactly how Black Families got destroyed after 1965. Too many freedoms and too few consequences for fatherless homes and thug life.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@bmdrocks21
An excess of freedom, at least for individuals, can lead to our own personal enslavement. Freedom or 'liberty' to do drugs opens us up to be enslaved to an addiction or really any other vice. 

The anarchy leading to tyranny interpretation works well for the state, but I think that is another interesting way to read it. 

Exactly, it means personal slavery as "sin is slaverly" 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Athias
it's just a quote 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@DebateArt.com
Amidst of this hot argument, may I bring you the 6000th topic ever.