Euthyphro's Dilemma

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 80
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Well - what I meant is that there isn't anything unique about god's commands - if he just says what is good, then there should absolutely be debate about whether what god commands is good - after all - even granting that a god exists and that that god is all-knowing, that certainly doesn't make them all-interpreting. 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
then there should absolutely be debate
Why must there be. God commands goodness. If God commands it, one need not debate about it. Go ask him. "...prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." Seems he's pretty willing to respond to the serious desire to know the truth of things, merely by preparing a place to receive the answer.  That is not a question placed in doubt, No. Ask with nothing wavering and without fear.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
I don't recall it issuing any commands in my lifetime.

When did it last issue a command?

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ox or his wife.....No, not the ox's wife.

A few new pertinent commands wouldn't go amiss.

Where is it?......Hiding behind the clouds as ever, having a laugh.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Well no - that's not what you said, you said that god says things because their good-  in that case we shouldn't need god to tell us what is good, if there is good that god is getting from, we can just use that same good and skip out the middle man - because how do we know that god (assuming he exists for a moment) interprets "good" correctly? Again, being all-knowing does not mean you can interpret things perfectly.. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
I don't recall
No, apparently not. It's even before your lifetime. Surprised you missed it; it's just two chapters following the covet bit: “Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death." Exodus 22: 19. However, even in your lifetime, just one month ago, on this matter of personal purity, "In matters of covenantal purity, the sacred is too often being made common and the holy is too often being made profane. To any who are tempted to walk or talk or behave in these ways—“as the world giveth,” so to speak—don’t expect it to lead to peaceful experience; I promise you in the name of the Lord that it won’t."  This was Jeffrey R. Holland, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles; a prophet in our time. Perhaps it is time to stop cleaning the clouds, with money, and start listening to what is coming to us, in the name of the Lord, that will clean the clocks of our filthy minds and hearts, and let the clouds take care of themselves. They have for billions of years, and have not stopped.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
I assume the end of the universe, and the rebirth of the next....A GOD principle.

And the evolution of matter and us and GOD, was perhaps commanded by inevitability.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
being all-knowing does not mean you can interpret things perfectly.. 
If you are not omniscient, and I dare say that is a strong probability [and me, too], how, exactly, are you knowledgeable on perfect interpretation? Sorry, the failure of that comment is evident within it. As you do not believe in omniscience, it should be evident that it follows that you fail to understand how it works.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Um... you can not believe in something and get how it works - furthermore again - knowing all of the data in a subject does not mean you are aware of the CORRECT INTERPRETATION, you should know that, that is literally your things in debates. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
@Theweakeredge.

Mr Faux was hoisted by his own petard there.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
@Theweakeredge
 that is literally your things in debates. 
It is, but there is a distinction of knowledge you do not accept, but the  non-acceptance is a limitation you acknowledge and to which you adhere: the ability to acquire knowledge by faith. I have described how that works enough times that I will not repeat again. I consider faith to be an available physical sense to which we can be educated to use and understand how and why it works. That you both choose to ignore it is, again, a self-imposed limitation. Until; you convince yourselves that it works, all the argument I can present will not convince you. Part of that is on your hard-headedness to ignore the trial of faith. Sorry, I can do no more for you. If that's a petard, it's your match.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
As I see it.

The acquisition of knowledge is the internal process of sensory input and data storage.......The basis of acceptance, faith and belief is internal processing, rather than external influence.....We variously believe, accept and have faith, relative to how we are formatively conditioned to prioritise data...."We can be educated"....Though that is not to say that we are not capable of reassessing and modifying our established database....Nonetheless completely erasing and reprogramming (re-educating) is unlikely.

So you have an established and prioritised dataset within your databank and refer to it as faith and belief.....And though I may possess the same basic data, I was not educated to prioritise it as you do.

Alternative programming...No more, no less....GOD principle accepted.....But nothing so specific as the Christian Godhead.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Theweakeredge
Option one then
Actually no, the apologetic I referenced essentially argues that option 1 and option 2 are the same. But I already describes why that’s nonsense.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
Fair enough. I'm not necessarily looking for compatriots of my exact mind. That we can find areas of agreement, I'm happy. Differences of opinion should only represent challenges to our comfort zone, which cannot be a bad thing. This Yank is grateful for that Brit. Different sons of different mothers, but who said that was anti-social?
Username
Debates: 9
Username
I do not see how it is possible to disprove the existence of God given that human logic may not apply to a God. An all-powerful being may operate on a higher realm of logic than we can possibly comprehend. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Yep.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Username
True........One cannot disprove something that cannot firstly be proven.......Logic.

An all powerful being, may operate on a higher realm.

"May" being the operative word.

Though one would suggest that logic is always logical, at any level.
Username
Username
-->
@zedvictor4
"May" being the operative word.
Right. But if that is a possibility then the claim that you cannot disprove the existence of God is still true.
I'm not sure of that. If God has always existed, he would, by necessity of him being all powerful, be able to break the rules of logic. 
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4

Is it logical that we should be able to walk on water? By current logic, no. However, is it possible that ability could be achieved by adherence to natural law we do not currently understand? Thus, logic is dependent on law.
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Theweakeredge
And what exactly is your definition of good?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Username
Begging the question and a god of the gaps - there is no evidence of such a thing, in fact, there is no evidence that such a "higher level of logic" even exists. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
A net increase to well-being
Username
Username
-->
@Theweakeredge
Read my initial post again.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Username
@fauxlaw
As I said...One cannot disprove something that cannot be proven.

And anything that might be possible, will therefore comply with logic.

Possibilities are logical, but may or may not be achievable....This is also logical.

And similarly anything that might defy currently known law, will comply with a newly discovered law.....Even if that is a GODS law of inconsistency.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Theweakeredge
Isn't that definition synonymous with pragmatism?
Username
Username
-->
@zedvictor4
It's still a significant thing to point out. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
No
"Pragmatism is a philosophical movement that includes those who claim that an ideology or proposition is true if it works satisfactorily, that the meaning of a proposition is to be found in the practical consequences of accepting it, and that unpractical ideas are to be rejected. "

If you think that "a net increase to well-being" is pragmatism, you don't know what pragmatism is. 
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Theweakeredge
But in terms of an action, you are saying an action that results in a net increase of "well-being" (which would seem to be a matter of opinion to you) is considered good. That seems like a results-based justification.

I'm fine using the term pragmatism in a non-technical sense to simply mean the ends justify the means. But if that still bothers you, perhaps you could explain yourself further to clarify what you mean in terms of a "good" action.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Intent matters because that also contributes to the level of well-being - overall - intent does have a place in morals - but its more for classification than what you ought to do. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
An English translation of the original dialogue between Socrates and Euphyphro as written by Plato:

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Theweakeredge
How do you see intent contributing to overall "well-being" (whatever that means)?